• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2013 (Mar 04 - Mar 10)

Cassovia

Now imagine if there were actual games for VITA like MH, DQ, KH.

..which goes for every platform (maybe except for microsoft in japan).

Shikoro

Re-Fixed, I think. No way the PSV version is higher than Luigi's Mansion 2, lol
Yeah, I didn't notice that there wasn't a 2 there and got confused. XD

Good numbers all around, though, and I hope that Vita doesn't drop too much next week. 30k would be alright...

Asimov

Banned
I can't believe you guys think the Soul Sacrifice numbers are excellent.

Is this the standard number for high profile Vita games? Because to me is not impressive at all.

Maedhros

Is this the standard number for high profile Vita games? Because to me is not impressive at all.

It is a new IP and we don't know how many were shipped at all. 140k (possibly more) for a new IP is bad?

For the west, it would take games like GTA and CoD to fix the system, and proper portable style games not just lazy ports of the mainline ones.

Given just how badly AC/COD failed to move Vita hardware last holiday despite everything they had going for them (the popularity of those IP, a major marketing push from Sony, reasonably priced bundles sold at further discounts for much of the holiday), I completely fail to understand your thinking here.

Various cutscenes, conversations, etc. Obvious no hugely important story bits, but a lot of character interactions here and there. It's pretty much unarguably a much worse game. Of course, this is coming from somebody who really liked the original Tales of Hearts.

I can't see how any Tales fan could have been all that excited for this, and the negative buzz around it/sales are proof of that. We'll probably never know how a proper, good Tales game could have sold on the platform because all we'll ever have to compare are these half assed remakes.

Like with the DS, who even knows if a quality new effort would amount to much? Hearts barely outsold Tempest/Innocence despite it being far superior to both combined - but as it was, the well had been poisoned to some degree.

I can't believe they were cutting content though, this might have been a very cheap remake to do (it certainly looks cheap but at least I expected the full game + the extras).

EVH

Nice numbers for Vita! Good to se such a good piece of hardware getting some love!

Also, Wii U(nder 10.000) lol.

maltrain

WiiU below 10k...

link-facepalm-320x210.jpg

WiiU is dead...

WiiU has no games...

Obama-laughing_column~1384b6ce578835eb90091bbf6b8b2f3c.jpg

Leave Vita alone at last you haters!!!

Likelihood of that happening is less than zero. Also, we already had Assassin's Creed and CoD on the Vita last holiday, and that didn't do much to boost Vita sales.

Assassin's Creed and COD?? those were pure garbage on the PSP..its even surprising that Sony touted those games as vita system sellers. Watch vitas fly off the shelves if the vita gets its own exclusive MH, GTA and or MGS (all of which had their own exclusive PSP versions). In other words, Sony should look at the PSP's software catalog and strive to secure exclusive entries for the 3m+ PSP sellers on the vita.

test_account

XP-39C²
If the Vita continued to sell at this pace, and the 3DS were to never sell a single unit ever again, it would take 149 weeks for the Vita to catch up. It's been over.
I dont think anyone have concidering the Vita to be outselling the 3DS, only that the Vita sales gets improved. Look at the PSP and the DS for example, the DS are over 10 million units a head of the PSP, but no one will say that the PSP hasnt been doing great in Japan.

~ZIO~

Neo Member
Soul sacrifice sold nearly one million. I remember a time when being a million seller was something prestigious and to be proud of. Now suddenly if it doesn't sell multimillions it's some kind of failure?

I think the game did fine and will continue to do fine.

Moosichu

Given just how badly AC/COD failed to move Vita hardware last holiday despite everything they had going for them (the popularity of those IP, a major marketing push from Sony, reasonably priced bundles sold at further discounts for much of the holiday), I completely fail to understand your thinking here.

But they did move a lot of Vitas (relatively)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Selling to like 10% of the entire userbase? Yes, this is pretty top tier of whats considered successful. If it had done the extra miles and gone above 150k, fireworks would be shootin' out of buttholes in celebration.

Soul sacrifice sold nearly one million. I remember a time when being a million seller was something prestigious and to be proud of. Now suddenly if it doesn't sell multimillions it's some kind of failure?

MATHS CHECK. Those numbers arent trunctucated. 100k. Not... 1,000,000.

Asimov

Banned

Wut?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

What are you talking about? Did you add a zero?

GCX

It sold 92 396 copies.

Yeah, I didn't notice that there wasn't a 2 there and got confused. XD

Good numbers all around, though, and I hope that Vita doesn't drop too much next week. 30k would be alright...

It really depends on how good the word of mouth for SS is. If the MH players still on PSP prefer it to MH3G on 3DS then over the next few weeks then Vita sales could be quite good and SS will push some hardware. If they don't like it the SS will be down to 20k next week and Vita down to 20k also.

One game has never been so important to a platform before. Knowing this Sony should have paid for the 40/40.

Scum

I don't think it's really that simple. When dealing with a third party, sometimes no matter how much effort you want to put in to get a deal, if they see a better business opportunity elsewhere they will take it. There is no reason at all for Square Enix to make FFX HD a Vita exclusive for example, when they know that they would make more money and improve their public image more if it is on the PS3 as well. Why would they favor Sony over themselves? It's the same reason why major third parties in the West have gone full multiplatform now. The days of PS2 super-exclusives are over.

I do understand that. Still, it would have made the Vita more healthy knowing those games were Vita games only. We'll see how things fair in the next few weeks. Sony will be fools not to keep up the momentum by making some good announcements, but I'm not holding my breath.

SS sold above my expectation but the major surprise is VITA outsold 3DS for the week. Didn't 3DS to drop so much from last week.

With download card, it was already over 3 million a couple weeks ago.

Miyamoto said last week total sales are over 3.5 million, and that he expected it to hit 4 million in the near future.

duckroll

I do understand that. Still, it would have made the Vita more healthy knowing those games were Vita games only. We'll see how things fair in the next few weeks. Sony will be fools not to keep up the momentum by making some good announcements, but I'm not holding my breath.

Oh I definitely agree that having exclusives makes a platform stronger. But it's clear that Sony is unable to get as many as they would like, and so their best option is to make exclusives themselves. It's a hard road.

lolwut?

test_account

XP-39C²

I assume you used Google Translate, but that doesnt translate japanese numbers that well. The correct number is over 100k.

02./00. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.03.07} (¥5.980) - 92.396 / NEW
05./00. [PSV] Tales of Hearts R # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.03.07} (¥6.480) - 55.258 / NEW
10./00. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice: "United Front" Double Pack <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.03.07} (¥7.980) - 22.050 / NEW
13./03. [PSV] Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus: Otome Shoujotachi no Shoumei # <ACT> (Marvelous AQL) {2013.02.28} (¥6.980) - 17.138 / 111.461 (-82%)
15./07. [PSV] Phantasy Star Online 2: Special Package <RPG> (Sega) {2013.02.28} (¥5.229) - 10.031 / 71.258 (-84%)

This week vita sold nearly 10% of total software sales it had in 2012 ;)

But they did move a lot of Vitas (relatively)

Yes, and Vita still sold worse in the US last holiday than PSP did the year before, and worse in Europe than PSP did the same year.

There's a remaining niche market for such titles on dedicated handhelds, sure. But they can't turn around an entire platform.

Not this again. Many devs banked on PS3 due to the success of the PS2. PS3 still eat up all the money they made with PS1 and PS2. Bottomline: You can´t compare the two.

The PS3 got Resurrected because Sony worked their ass off to make sure the console succeeded, third parties abandoned the system in its first year out. Sony first party studios took the responsibility of making the system a viable platform, Sony also took the initiative to make the slim model. So the Vita and the PS3 are alike in some ways, while Sony is not selling the Vita anywhere near a loss they still need the powerful force of their first party devs and possibly a new cheaper model to make the Vita an even more attractive handheld for newcomers.

FDC1

The attach rate is around 10%. It's basically the same that a PS3 game selling 1M first week. That's a really good number for Vita standard.

Redhood

Wha? a million? it sold 100k+ Lets hope it reaches 1m

serplux

If Soul Sacrifice sold 1 million, and the Vita only sold 60k, I would flip the shit out of shit.

SmokyDave

Selling to like 10% of the entire userbase? Yes, this is pretty top tier of whats considered successful. If it had done the extra miles and gone above 150k, fireworks would be shootin' out of buttholes in celebration.
I already set my butthole fireworks off. Over 100k was my threshold.

Yes, and Vita still sold worse in the US last holiday than PSP did the year before, and worse in Europe than PSP did the same year.

There's a remaining niche market for such titles on dedicated handhelds, sure. But they can't turn around an entire platform.

Which is why I also said Sony would need to build a decent ecosystem around Vita to make it attractive in the west. Reading comprehension ftw...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The PS3 got Resurrected because Sony worked their ass off to make sure the console succeeded, third parties abandoned the system in its first year out. Sony first party studios took the responsibility of making the system a viable platform, Sony also took the initiative to make the slim model. So the Vita and the PS3 are alike in some ways, while Sony is not selling the Vita anywhere near a loss they still need the powerful force of their first party devs and possibly a new cheaper model to make the Vita an even more attractive handheld for newcomers.

Wait 3rd parties abandoned PS3?

Oersted

I dont think anyone have concidering the Vita to be outselling the 3DS, only that the Vita sales gets improved. Look at the PSP and the DS for example, the DS are over 10 million units a head of the PSP, but no one will say that the PSP hasnt been doing great in Japan.

To name the obvious elephant in the room again: Monster Hunter.

Are you drunk? Nearly one million, the hell?

IMO I think if Sony could secure exclusive entries for the best selling PSP software (GTA, MH, KH, GOW, SF, GT) on the vita, then the vita could stand a chance in the west. I also think Sony should give up the FPS on vita thing. FPSs on the vita are pathetic because the analog sticks are too small.

serplux

It was in reference to the comment that the race may not be over yet. It definitely is. The Vita could strike a niche market, but the 3DS has everything handled.

Vita will probably never match the install base or software sales of the PSP, but there's no reason to think it won't be profitable business for Sony with a lot of games that a lot of people want to play.

Top Bottom