• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2013 (Mar 04 - Mar 10)

Nekki

And there are many other games in genres that haven't crossed 100k. Soul Sacrifice did.

Wasn't BDFF spotlighted in a September Nintendo conference? Right before Vitas first TGS appearance?

I agree with your post, but 10 seconds of footage doesn't really count as "spotlighted" for BD :p

I'm eagerly awaiting the following weeks for SS. We'll see where it ends. 300k for LTD is assured.

http://www.m-create.com/ranking/

- Soul Sacrifice bundle: 17k.
- Sell-through for all versions: 76% (~150k shipped)

Monster Hunter Portable 1st week: 114k
Soul Sacrifice 1st week: 114k

Monster Hunter Portable 2nd week: 63k
Soul Sacrifice 2nd week: ???

r9FJe.gif

hiska-kun

Media Create:

21./00. [PSP] Ultraman Star Chronicles <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.03.07} (¥6.280)
22./00. [360] Far Cry 3 <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2013.03.07} (¥7.770)
23./19. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800)
24./11. [3DS] Touch Detective: Nameko Shigeru <PZL> (Success) {2013.02.28} (¥3.990)
25./17. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Chibi Dragon to Fushigi na Orb <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.12} (¥5.040)
26./21. [3DS] Paper Mario: Sticker Star <ADV> (Nintendo) {2012.12.06} (¥4.800)
27./15. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.29} (¥5.040)
28./18. [3DS] Magi: The Labyrinth of Beginning <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.02.21} (¥5.800)
29./24. [WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥5.985)
30./20. [3DS] Fantasy Life <RPG> (Level 5) {2012.12.27} (¥5.800)
31./22. [3DS] Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-Tachi Kara Nigekire! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.05} (¥5.040)
32./16. [PSV] Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational # <SPT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2011.12.17} (¥4.980)
33./26. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.12.20} (¥7.980)
34./00. [PSP] British Detective Mysteria # <ADV> (Marvelous AQL) {2013.03.07} (¥6.279)
35./28. [NDS] Pokèmon Black 2 / White 2 <RPG> (Pokèmon Co.) {2012.06.23} (¥4.800)
36./25. [3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go 2: Chrono Stone - Neppuu / Raimei <RPG> (Level 5) {2012.12.13} (¥5.500)
37./31. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} (¥4.800)
38./00. [360] Crysis 3 <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2013.03.07} (¥7.665)
39./30. [WIU] Nintendo Land <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥4.935)
40./34. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2012.10.04} (¥7.980)
41./12. [PSP] D.C.III Plus # <ADV> (Kadokawa Games) {2013.02.28} (¥6.090)
42./37. [3DS] Aikatsu! Cinderella Lesson <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.15} (¥5.040)
43./35. [3DS] Style Savvy: Trendsetters <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.09.27} (¥4.800)
44./36. [3DS] Puyo Puyo!! Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary (Special Price) <PZL> (Sega) {2012.12.13} (¥2.940)
45./39. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (PSP the Best) <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.09.22} (¥2.990)
46./40. [WII] Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku Online # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2012.08.02} (¥6.980)
47./44. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Subtitled Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.11.22} (¥7.980)
48./38. [3DS] Magician's Quest: Magical Town <ETC> (Konami) {2012.12.20} (¥4.980)
49./42. [PSP] God Eater: Burst (PSP the Best) <ACT> (Bandai Namco) {2011.09.15} (¥2.800)
50./32. [WIU] Tank! Tank! Tank! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.02.21} (¥5.040)

Top 50

3DS – 20
PS3 – 9
PSP – 7
PSV – 6
WIU – 3
WII – 2
360 – 2
NDS – 1

SOFTWARE
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    969.000 |  1.276.000 |    851.000 |  9.513.000 |  9.581.000 |

saichi

They've created two reasonably large franchises in God of War and Uncharted.

The 15-35 age group aren't a niche market, they are the primary market. And the discussion wasn't isolated to Japan.

Yup. Sony created 2 fairly big franchises in GoW and Uncharted in the west but nothing in the east. And they are not helping much on the handheld.

I also didn't call 15-35 age group a niche market. I was talking about niche market within the 15-35 age group.

That should stop the shortage/sold out talk now.

Also with bundle is only at 17K, it means the drop off from last week without bundle is not that bad.

Why? We wanna know how many copies of the games were sold, i.e. how many people of the people already owning Vita have got a copy of SS.

Because anything could have happened to those double copies. Maybe they're all in used games stores now?

It's one or two steps above 'Oh we should just as 20% to that figure for digital sales'.

Mario007

Because anything could have happened to those double copies. Maybe they're all in used games stores now?

It's one or two steps above 'Oh we should just as 20% to that figure for digital sales'.

Nope it's not. We'd be imagining the digital figure, but we know the real figure for the double pack. And if it turns out that many were returned then we'll see a huge drop-off next week for SS. But as it stands, to figure out how many copies of the game were sold, they should be included.

DaBoss

I'm not sure what to think about the sell-through. Would that be considered good or bad or average?

Nope it's not. We'd be imagining the digital figure, but we know the real figure for the double pack. And if it turns out that many were returned then we'll see a huge drop-off next week for SS. But as it stands, to figure out how many copies of the game were sold, they should be included.

Just going to note that it seems Famitsu doesn't agree with that line of thinking it seems.

Ok, sure those copies were sold, but the trackers didn't count them as two copies is all I'm saying.

At least no one here is boasting about buying multiple copies to boost sales figures of the game.

hongcha

The double pack comes with 2 copies of the same game. It costs 7980 yen while the regular pack costs 5980 yen (both MSRPs). So, it isn't the price of 2 copies of the game. But it costs significantly more than one copy of the game. Sort of tricky, but I think the fact it comes with 2 copies of the same game should count as 2 games sold, just as the game bundled with the Vita hardware is counted as 1 game sold (like the double pack, it's cheaper in the hardware bundle than if you buy the single retail version).

L Thammy

Try to remember that Monster Hunter's popularity didn't really explode until Portable 2nd. Before Portable, it has two releases with higher first weeks that didn't push 300,000.

Actually, Soul Sacrifice's numbers are just a bit over Lord of Arcana. That sold a whopping 142,000.

Ok, sure those copies were sold, but the trackers didn't count them as two copies is all I'm saying.

At least no one here is boasting about buying multiple copies to boost sales figures of the game.

I have a legitimate question for you:

If you refuse to acknowledge a game pack (2 copies of the same game bundled/packaged together, as total copies moved by a retailer) - can you fairly, then, acknowledge bundled Nintendoland as being any different?

Just curious.

I'll get a response, like: "Well Mediacreate or Famitsu tracks...."

But can anyone see what I'm saying:

Is it fair, to consider a random game bundled with hardware as a game sale, when two of the same game bundled isn't considered two copies - but is really two copies?

To me: A game bundled with hardware shouldn't be counted, as its a freebie for buying the hardware.

That sound slightly disingenuous, doesn't it?

The same can be said of the dismissal of SS 2 pack.

SS is gonna be a lot lower than 63K IMO. Reasons being there's DD to account for that we didn't have to worry about at that point, bundles didn't even sell out (~13k left IIRC), and 76% means the demand is not as strong as we thought it was. I think if SS drops to ~40k that should be considered great.

Not really, but if you compare both charts, you will see Media Create have already multiplied the double-pack by 2.

What are you talking about?

If you refuse to acknowledge a game pack (2 copies of the same game bundled/packaged together, as total copies moved by a retailer) - can you fairly, then, acknowledge bundled Nintendoland as being any different?

Just curious.

Is it fair, to consider a random game bundled with hardware as a game sale, when two of the same game bundled isn't considered two copies - but is really two copies?

To me: A game bundled with hardware shouldn't be counted, as its a freebie for buying the hardware.

Nintendo Land isn't bundled in Japan.

DaBoss

Not really, but if you compare both charts, you will see Media Create have already multiplied the double-pack by 2.

They have? It doesn't seem like that. It seems MC has the SKUs separate while Famitsu has the SKUs combined. Neither seem to have bundled the double pack.

Just curious.

Well that brings into question whether or not they would have bought that game regardless of the bundle. This is about units of software sold in in different SKUs. Not how many copies are in the hands of unique persons.

hiska-kun

SS is gonna be a lot lower than 63K IMO. Reasons being there's DD to account for that we didn't have to worry about at that point, bundles didn't even sell out (~13k left IIRC), and 76% means the demand is not as strong as we thought it was. I think if SS drops to ~40k that should be considered great.

We don't know the shipment of the bundle.
The 30k shipment was for the Ice Silver Vita, but that was for the week that Phantasy Star Online released.

Media Create:
92.396 + 22.050 (x2) = 114.446

92.396 + 11.025 (/2) = 103.421

Famitsu:

I'm pretty someone mentioned this days ago.

Considering the amount of discrepancies between the two trackers week in week out, that's a huge assumption on your part. Maybe ducky is wrong, but I agree with him, they track on a per SKU basis.

The "double pack" is sold as one unit. It counts as one unit of sales.

Nintendo Land isn't bundled in Japan.

It was an example....not a region specific literal.

I just used a game I know is bundled with hardware (at least in NA), for my example.

(I'm not only referring to WiiU - but ALL hardware bundles: Vita, 3DS, WiiU, PS3, 360 whatever else) -

WiiU specific, MH bundle for JP then ^_^

They have? It doesn't seem like that. It seems MC has the SKUs separate while Famitsu has the SKUs combined. Neither seem to have bundled the double pack.

Well that brings into question whether or not they would have bought that game regardless of the bundle. This is about units of software sold in in different SKUs. Not how many copies are in the hands of unique persons.

I'm not arguing that...sigh, I'll clarify:

The double pack is technically 2 units (not sku, but as total games sold) - it's two copies of the game. If you and I each purchase a double pack, we bought a total = 4 SS games...I don't get why this is somehow rocket science :eek:<

you're cool lol. You give a one-liner over eighty's 9-liner.

I like you! ^_^

*squeeee*

It was an example....not a region specific literal.

I just used a game I know is bundled with hardware (at least in NA), for my example.

(I'm not only referring to WiiU - but ALL hardware bundles: Vita, 3DS, WiiU, PS3, 360 whatever else) -

WiiU specific, MH bundle for JP then ^_^

*squeee* all you want, but if you can't come up with a relevant example to the topic how am I supposed to take your argument seriously?

Do I think that hardware bundles should count for sales? Yes, so long as they are not the only SKU of the hardware available. If there is more than one SKU available and customers are not disadvantaged by buying the one without the game, other than the game itself, I don't see why they shouldn't be counted. There's a strong argument that those consumers are purchasing the bundle for the game, in that case, and would have bought the game even if it wasn't bundled.

Do I think that selling two copies of the same game as 1 'pack' should count as two sales? No.

you're cool lol. You give a one-liner over eighty's 9-liner.

Is that a sufficiently long post for you, ohlawd?

I'm sorry but it is still 2 games sold. If you buy a one pack of 10 apples, guess how many apples you actually bought? If you buy 10 3DS at the same time, you bought 10 3DS in one sale, one receipt<---- Should that count as 1 as well, is one receipt(sale) according to your logic. Good lord I feel I'm being trolled.

I'm sorry but it is still 2 games sold. If you buy a one pack of 10 apples, guess how many apples you actually bought? If you buy 10 3DS at the same time, you bought 10 3DS in one sale, one receipt<---- Should that count as 1 as well, is one receipt(sale) according to your logic. Good lord I feel I'm being trolled.

Why should it be counted as two sales in the trackers though? Then any publisher could do this and tout that they'd sold twice as many copies as they actually did.

It's not about the receipt, it's about the pack. It would show up as one item. 10 3DS's would show up as 10 3DS's not 1 pack of 10. False equivalency.

Skyzard

Banned
Of course it should be counted as double. Who would buy the same game twice if they weren't giving it away or selling it. It's two of the same game. No doubt at all if they include console bundles in the stats - it becomes the same thing, a discount.

Why should it be counted as two sales in the trackers though? Then any publisher could do this and tout that they'd sold twice as many copies as they actually did.
You are not making any sense. When a publisher sells a double pack, they have sold twice as many copies versus a single pack. By denying that, you're saying that people who buy two copies of something and people who buy one copy of it have actually bought the exact same thing.

Guy: "I just bought 4 new tires for the price of 3!"
You: "So you bought 3 tires, then?"

It's one sku, so it is one sale, not two. Don't personally insult people either, that can lead to a ban.

People desperately trying to convince other people that the double pack should count as two games. In the same vein of people saying "yeah but it sold 30% in the digital store!" or "yeah but it was sold-out!" (it was not as clearly showed by M-C).

Soul Sacrifice sold really well, why bothering to talk about this useless stuffs?

People desperately trying to convince other people that the double pack should count as two games. In the same vein of people saying "yeah but it sold 30% in the digital store!" or "yeah but it was sold-out!" (it was not as clearly showed by M-C).
The double pack should count as two copies of the game because, well, it is two copies of the game. It's not at all the same as trying to define/guess the reasons behind particular sales levels.

Soul Sacrifice sold really well, why bothering to talk about this useless stuffs?
It's a sales-age thread, the numbers matter. And Soul Sacrifice didn't sell all that well, actually; it just looks positive because it's on Vita.

Sigh simple logic

If you want to measure sales you count double pack as 1
If you want to measure userbase you count it as 2.
Exactly. If I buy a 5pack of razors, it's the same number of sales as if I buy one razor, but it has different implications for product usage and future consumer behavior.

Happy that MGR sold 400k. Japan has good taste. That Rising was outsold by games like Dead Space 3 and Crysis 3 in the US is a very sad thing. This industry needs developers like Platinum.

Zenaku

Do we actually have any confirmation that the double pack for SS counts as only 1 unit?

The Famitsu tracker looks to group the single and double pack together, and looking at the difference in the numbers, I wouldn't be surprised if MC was already counting each double pack as 2 units.

Isn't the point of discussing sales numbers to see how many people own the product? If there are two in a pack then two people probably now own the game right? If it were buy one get one free, it wouldn't be any different. I realize it's one sku, but that number alone is meaningless if it doesn't represent the number of units...

It sounds to me like some people are trying to down play how many people own the game.

Top Bottom