• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 25, 2013 (Jun 17 - Jun 23)

Suit yourself:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=498093

Classic (to be honest I thought Wii U would have a much stronger start, in sales terms).

lmao check mate.

t still surprises me because taken at face value at least, you'd think the Wii U's chief gimmick is a natural fit for Japan. I think many people assumed this in the beginning.

You really think that an off tv feature was going to sell the system, I'm sorry but I still stand that software is what sells a system.

Most fans won't give a shit about that. They'd buy the platform to play DQ.

True but a next gen DQ would be so much better.

Well, given DQIX outsold every console DQ by a decent margin, I'm going to venture a guess that the DQ fanbase is pretty happy having it on handhelds.

DQ fan base will buy any mainline DQ, however that doesn't change the idea that a next gen DQ will be better.

Hero

DQ is one of the most accessible RPGs and that goes hand in hand with its popularity. What on Earth does "next gen" mean for DQ?

liger05

That Wii U sales forecast for this year from Iwata just continues to look more and more ridiculous as each week passes by.

Sandfox

lmao check mate.

You really think that an off tv feature was going to sell the system, I'm sorry but I still stand that software is what sells a system.

True but a next gen DQ would be so much better.

DQ fan base will buy any mainline DQ, however that doesn't change the idea that a next gen DQ will be better.

That really depends on what you like and you also have to consider that the game is being made for a Japanese audience so they will do whatever they think would work better there even though DQ is already crazy popular.

Cheebo

Banned
Why would it be better? How does that explain a lot of people prefer DQIX over DQVIII?

A ton of people prefer handhelds to consoles you know. Which just happens to include the majority of the Japanese game market.

That Wii U sales forecast for this year from Iwata just continues to look more and more ridiculous as each week passes by.
At least it's managed to sell-through the Japanese shipments I suppose.

They're nowhere near selling-through the 1.52M units shipped to the Americas through the end of March, at only 1.145M through to the end of May in the US. Canada isn't making up that difference; it may not even make up the difference to the 1.32M launch quarter shipment.

And I'm relatively certain the initial shipment of 900K to Europe/Other still hasn't been completely sold through, let alone another 110K shipped on top of that to Other last quarter.

The next quarter's shipments are going to be horrid. More than 300K worldwide would frankly surprise me, so the forecast is for all intents and purposes 9M from July through to March. Utterly ridiculous.

They're nowhere near selling-through the 1.52M units shipped to the Americas through the end of March, at only 1.145M through to the end of May in the US. Canada isn't making up that difference; it may not even make up the difference to the 1.32M launch quarter shipment.

And I'm relatively certain the initial shipment of 900K to Europe/Other still hasn't been completely sold through, let alone another 110K shipped on top of that to Other last quarter.

The next quarter's shipments are going to be horrid. More than 300K worldwide would frankly surprise me, so the forecast is for all intents and purposes 9M from July through to March. Utterly ridiculous.

Pfft, I'm sure they have an incredible secret plan they'll reveal at the next Nintendo Direct.

More like 8.5 mill from oct to march. pikmin and luigi will have a small bump that week or two and w101 won't do anything for system sales so q2 of fy14 is also a wash.

Zelda remake and donkey kong are decent. Wii Party might sell discs but I dont see it moving machines and wii fit will bomb 100% guaranteed. Alot of the holiday's potential is on Mario imo even moreso than usual.

If Mario Kart does't make it out by march then I think sub 4.5 mill for the year is a real possibility and even if it does i think 5.5 mill might be the upper limit of ww shipmets. Most likely to fall in the middle of that at around 5 mill

Mario/Sonic olympics might be a wildcard for some interest outside nintendo core audience.

Japan will probably be the saving grace if their is one, doubtful ps4 will have a great lineup for jp launch so less likely to be drowned out by the big pushes the nextgen systems will get in comparison to the west.

hiska-kun

Retailers first impressions:

GamesMaya:

Top 5 in this shop:
1. [PS3] Gundam Breaker
2. [PSV] Toukiden
3. [3DS] New Etrian Odyssey
4. [PS3] Atelier Escha & Logy
5. [PS3] Date a Live

Azalyn:

1. [PS3] Gundam Breaker – 40 copies sold (sold out, more stock available tomorrow)
2. [PSV] Toukiden – 26 copies sold (sold out, good start)
3. [3DS] New Etrian Odyssey – 15 copies sold (a little less than EOIV but according to expectations)
4. [PS3] Atelier Escha & Logy – 8 copies sold (less than the last entry, he thinks is bad timing)
5. [PS3] Date a Live – 7 copies sold (sold out)
6. [PSP] Toukiden – 7 copies sold
A little of movement for Digimon, Skyrim and Memories off.

Osakaking:

Gundam Breaker 90% sellthrough in this store. More stock available tomorrow. Good sales.
Toukiden sold more than expected. Vita and PSP versions, both sold out.
Digimon:Redegitize sold out and the next shipment is unknown.
New Etrian Odyssey goes slowly in this store.

Yosipooh:

Good sales this week compared to last weeks.

Gundam Breaker sold out too. More stock available tomorrow, but probably not enough for the weekend.
New Etrian Odyssey is the second one and also sold out. Some people were worried about the Index bankruptcy news.
Next Toukiden. Vita version nice, probably not stock enough for the weekend.

DaBoss

Interesting. Toukiden looks like it is going to sell well based on your impressions. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
They're doing so?

I don't get why people complain about the Wii U sales every week, when the plans haven't been put into motion yet. No Wii U games out? Of course its sales aren't going to increase.Not to mention this is the summer lull that hits Japan and always has weakened hardware sales.

If it hits December, we have Mario and it's still like this, then sure, but come on.

Ah, this Nintendo plan. Everything according to keikaku.

The plan that puts 9 million Wii U shipped for FY.

Arzehn

When's the Vita version of Gundam Breaker releasing? Toukiden sounding like it might give the Vita hardware a solid bump.

Road

July prediction.

[PS3+360] Earth Defense Force 2025 (25 days)
[3DS] Youkai Watch (18 days)
[WIU] Pikmin 3 (16 days)
[3DS] Mario & Luigi Dream Team (11 days)
[3DS] Little Battlers eXperience W Super Custom (11 days)
[3DS] Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Dual Destinies (4 days)
[PS3+PSV] Dragon's Crown (4 days)

Thinking of including Wii U hardware...

Ah, this Nintendo plan. Everything according to keikaku.

The plan that puts 9 million Wii U shipped for FY.

You're becoming increasingly more antagonizing without actually saying anything.

It grows tired.

His point is not wrong - whether or not this was the 'plan' from the start, it seems to be now to write-off the first year and hope for the best in the second half with consistent game releases from first parties and actual advertising.

Aggressively advertising before now would have only resulted in incremental increases. Now that they have games and new SKUs coming out, they have begun advertising. Whether or not it will work is up for debate.

You're becoming increasingly more antagonizing without actually saying anything.

It grows tired.

His point is not wrong - whether or not there is a 'plan', aggressively advertising before now would have only resulted in incremental increases. Now that they have games and new SKUs coming out, they have begun advertising. Whether or not it will work is up for debate.
Halting all advertising is perhaps the strangest 'plan' I've come across. Deliberate relegation to irrelevance for 6 months is supposed to help?

What exactly does it accomplish? How much could it possibly save?

This is a company with massive cash reserves, penny-pinching a 6 month advertising budget.

It also tells third-parties, we have no interest in how your games sell whatsoever.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Halting all advertising is perhaps the strangest 'plan' I've come across. Deliberate relegation to irrelevance for 6 months is supposed to help?

What exactly does it accomplish? How much could it possibly save?

This is a company with massive cash reserves, penny-pinching a 6 month advertising budget.

It also tells third-parties, we have no interest in how your games sell whatsoever.

I can understand the logic- why advertise when there are no games and when you are looking at what, selling a few more thousand units a week? 5k and 8k are still terrible numbers to Nintendo.

I do think it is an incredibly risky strategy, as the console was essentially dark for 6 months...

It doesn't 'help' system sales, but when you have 2D Mario, Nintendo Land, a MH port, a DQMMO port, and Game & Wario as your biggest games for those six months you have definite diminishing returns on investment for advertising. The majority of advertising I've seen has been on the Karaoke functions in the last few months.

I mean, they definitely could have sold a few more systems this half of the year if they'd tried, but when you're releasing 1 retail title between January and July, what's the point?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought they just moved the budget to the second half, when they have actual games and more reason to advertise. That's not my definition of penny-pinching.

If 3rd parties believed in the games they were releasing since January they could have advertised them themselves.

I can understand the logic- why advertise when there are no games and when you are looking at what, selling a few more thousand units a week? 5k and 8k are still terrible numbers to Nintendo.

I do think it is an incredibly risky strategy, as the console was essentially dark for 6 months...
At a certain point, you run the risk of being "the thing that no one wants" by letting your product languish long enough, imo.
I mean, they definitely could have sold a few more systems this half of the year if they'd tried, but when you're releasing 1 retail title between January and July, what's the point?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought they just moved the budget to the second half, when they have actual games and more reason to advertise. That's not my definition of penny-pinching.

If 3rd parties believed in the games they were releasing since January they could have advertised them themselves.
Third parties need an installed base and an audience within that base to which to sell their titles. No amount of software advertisement is going to move their games on the Wii U if there are no Wii U owners out there. Unless you're suggesting that third parties should have specifically advertised the Wii U SKUs or something.

Further, you have retailers sitting on masses of stock, wasting space in their warehouses and shelving for half a year.

As for "moving the advertising budget" again, what difference does that make to the overarching point. Again, they have massive cash reserves; I don't see why it would be inconceivable to double the advertising budget for H2 2013 without halting it all in H1.

It just seems like a very poor 'plan.'

Third parties need an installed base and an audience within that base to which to sell their titles. No amount of software advertisement is going to move their games on the Wii U if there are no Wii U owners out there.

There are enough Wii U owners out there that games should be selling better than they are. I think only a few passed 10K in their first weeks - that's not good on a base of ~950K.

Further, you have retailers sitting on masses of stock, wasting space in their warehouses and shelving for half a year.

That is a huge problem and I would be more than a little mad with the thing not selling, if I was one.

As for "moving the advertising budget" again, what difference does that make to the overarching point. Again, they have massive cash reserves; I don't see why it would be inconceivable to double the advertising budget for H2 2013 without halting it all in H1.

That's not an unfair point, but again, it likely wouldn't have increased the sales for this half of the year much. I also think it would be just as damaging to perception to have the same 3 first party games on advertising repeat for six months.

hiska-kun

Media Create:

01./00. [PS3] The Last of Us <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.06.20} (¥5.980) - 117.465 / NEW <88,01%>

----

21./00. [PSP] Koibana Days # <SLG> (Idea Factory) {2013.06.20} (¥6.090)
22./09. [PS3] Kamen Rider: Battride War # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.05.23} (¥7.480)
23./18. [NDS] Pokemon Black 2 / White 2 <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2012.06.23} (¥4.800)
24./23. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2012.10.04} (¥7.980)
25./19. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Chibi Dragon to Fushigi na Orb <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.12} (¥5.040)
26./20. [WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥5.985)
27./17. [PSP] God Eater: Burst (PSP the Best Reprint) <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.06.06} (¥1.800)
28./16. [3DS] Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-Tachi Kara Nigekire! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.05} (¥5.040)
29./15. [PSV] Valhalla Knights 3 <RPG> (Marvelous AQL) {2013.05.23} (¥5.980)
30./26. [PS3] Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.03.14} (¥6.980)
31./22. [PSP] Pro Baseball Spirits 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2013.03.20} (¥3.980)
32./28. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl <FTG> (Nintendo) {2008.01.31} (¥6.800)
33./25. [3DS] Puyo Puyo!! Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary (Special Price) <PZL> (Sega) {2012.12.13} (¥2.940)
34./37. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2012.11.01} (¥3.980)
35./33. [3DS] Aikatsu! Cinderella Lesson <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.15} (¥5.040)
36./00. [360] Batman: Arkham - Twin Pack <ADV> (Warner Entertainment Japan) {2013.06.20} (¥3.990)
37./27. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.12.20} (¥7.980)
38./00. [PS3] Grand Strategy: Dai Toua Kouboushi - Rise and Fall of East Asia # <SLG> (SystemSoft Alpha) {2013.06.20} (¥7.875)
39./21. [PS3] Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen <ACT> (Capcom) {2013.04.25} (¥4.990)
40./42. [PSP] Dangan-Ronpa (PSP the Best) # <ADV> (Spike) {2011.11.23} (¥2.940)
41./41. [3DS] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2012.11.01} (¥4.980)
42./30. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} (¥4.800)
43./34. [WII] Wii Sports Resort with Wii Remote Plus # <SPT> (Nintendo) {2010.11.11} (¥5.800)
44./36. [WIU] Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Online # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.03.30} (¥6.980)
45./24. [PSP] Summon Night 5 <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.05.16} (¥5.980)
46./35. [PSP] Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.03.14} (¥6.280)
47./40. [WII] Mario Kart Wii <RCE> (Nintendo) {2008.04.10} (¥5.800)
48./38. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.03.07} (¥5.980)
49./32. [3DS] Tamagotchi no Doki Doki Dream Omisecchi <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.05.23} (¥4.980)
50./39. [WII] Kirby's Return to Dream Land <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.10.27} (¥5.800)

Top 50

3DS - 19
PS3 - 9
PSP - 9
WII - 5
PSV - 4
WIU - 2
NDS - 1
360 - 1

SOFTWARE
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    517.000 |    445.000 |  2.005.000 | 20.426.000 | 22.533.000 |

When's the Vita version of Gundam Breaker releasing? Toukiden sounding like it might give the Vita hardware a solid bump.

Noone knows when but at least there was some update on that version this week so it wasn't canned.

And I'm suprised with Toukiden sell outs it looked like solid performer but nothin too exceptional.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

It grows tired.

Sometimes it's better not talk and not predict based on pure speculation and desire because I remember many posters and posts talking for a Nintendo Wii U E3 similar to last year's 3DS reveals. Iinsisting and repeating that Nintendo still has a plan for second half is what becomes tiring when they'll miss all Wii U and 3DS targets by miles.

First day sellthrough

[PS3] Gundam Breaker - 60-70% (top seller for the week)
[PSV] Toukiden - 70%
[PSP] Toukiden - 50%
[3DS] New Etrian Odyssey - 40%
[PS3] Atelier Escha & Logy - 50-60%
[3DS] Digimon World Re: Digitize Decode < 40%
[WIU] Injustice - 4%

Thorgal

Sometimes it's better not talk and not predict based on pure speculation and desire because I remember many posters and posts talking for a Nintendo Wii U E3 similar to last year's 3DS reveals. Iinsisting and repeating that Nintendo still has a plan for second half is what becomes tiring when they'll miss all Wii U and 3DS targets by miles.

First day sellthrough

[PSV] Toukiden - 70%
[PSV] Toukiden - 50%
[WIU] Injustice - 4%

[PSV] Toukiden - 70%

Good.

WIU] Injustice - 4%

Ouch..

First day sellthrough

[PSV] Toukiden - 70%
[PSV] Toukiden - 50%
[WIU] Injustice - 4%

WUT. Either the retailers thought the game will do surprisingly well or ir flopped hard.

hiska-kun

First day sellthrough

[PSV] Toukiden - 70%
[PSP] Toukiden - 50%
[WIU] Injustice - 4%

Fixed

Your personal wants and desires doesn't change the fact that more people prefer handheld Dragon Quest to console Dragon Quest. You seem pretty out of tune with the Dragon Quest fanbase, or what most would consider "better".

hiska-kun

I wonder what the shipment for New Etrian Odyssey was. Anyone have data on EO4's initial shipment?

[3DS] Etrian Odyssey IV: Denshou no Kyojin <RPG> (Atlus) {2012.07.05} (¥6.279) - 95.506 <75,68%>

The initial shipment was 126k. New Etrian Odyssey shipment seems lower according to retailers.

Durante

I'm a bit disappointed by the Escha & Logy sell-through. It's supposed to be like the best Atelier game of all time, so in an ideal world sales should reflect that.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
How do you sell 4% of something that probably got a shipment of like 2K?

Wow

Shahed

Your personal wants and desires doesn't change the fact that more people prefer handheld Dragon Quest to console Dragon Quest. You seem pretty out of tune with the Dragon Quest fanbase, or what most would consider "better".

I just wish after finally getting a DQ on consoles in VIII, we got another to follow it. Maybe it could have expanded the audience a bit more for the series on consoles. I'd have much rather had IX on the Wii, and would prefer to have XI on Wii U instead of 3DS.

But as you say, personal wants and desires don't really come into the equation

Top Bottom