• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 25, 2014 (Jun 16 - Jun 22)

RalchAC

Still disappointing that this is one of the biggest Vita games releasing in Japan and it only manages to boost Vita sales by 10k

This game appeals to the crowd that has bought Soul Sacrifice, Toukiden and especially God Eater 2. It was obvious it wasn't going to move a lot of systems. Most of the audience is already there.

IMO the question is not how this will sell this week but if it'll be able to carry the system during summer.

It seems Tsuyata was right with system sales (they said sales doubled). The said the game opening was as big as GE2. I'll be mindblown if it sells over 250k

Hellraider

next year Soul Sacrifice 2 and Freedom Wars plus ;)
the hunting genre has been popular for quite some time now and it seems Sony wants to overcompensate their loss of MH but I agree that their PSV support is starting to get a little bit too monotonous.

There is also Phantasy Star Nova, Toukiden Kiwami, God Eater 2 Burst and MHFG (lol). There are too many of them and all cater to the same demographics. Whatever hardware boost they can give will decline as more of them get released. It's not a problem that they exist, the problem is that only those exist. I'm strictly talking about games that affect hardware so pretty much anything that sells less than 100k is irrelevant.

At least there is Oreshika. This will be an interesting one to watch.

Still disappointing that this is one of the biggest Vita games releasing in Japan and it only manages to boost Vita sales by 10k
Wasn't the argument before release, was that it wouldn't greatly increase sales because it would only sell to existing owners.

zeromcd73

nvm probably not

tumblr_mewp2iUSLH1qf25fr.gif

Edit: Wait, what happened here.

nvm I'm not thinking right straight now. Anyway, yes the Vita is probably 3m on Media Create this week. Took it 133 weeks.

Race to 3m (Media Create)

Wii 33 weeks
NDS 39 weeks
3DS 42 weeks
PSP 63 weeks
PS3 127 weeks
Vita 133 weeks

We don't have pre-2003 Media Create figures, but on Famitsu

GBA 25 weeks
PS2 42 weeks
Gamecube 121 weeks

Of course it would be more with a hardware bundle, but it's still depressing that there needs to be hardware bundle for every big vita games just so it boosts hardware sales more.

Looking back at hardware numbers, most of the bigger bumps are due to hardware bundles. Niche games with bundles provide better bumps than bigger games without bundles.

Because numbers are low for every hardware, the collectors' noise look like a big deal. However, these bumps mean nothing in the long term anyway, since no game released recently was able to provide a long term sales increase to the system it was released for.

hiska-kun

A 13k boost. So it doubled the sales of last week.

And that's what happens when no hardware bundle is released alongside a decent sized game.

Wait, it doubled hardware sales just as Tsutaya said. So Freedom Wars might be in God Eater 2 level as well.

I know it won't happen

Oh beated -.-

IMO the question is not how this will sell this week but if it'll be able to carry the system during summer.
It probably won't, but Sony has another round of value bundles coming up in a few weeks.

And while we wait for this week's report: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/02/freedom-wars-producer-responds-players-say-game-tough/

Freedom Wars' producer answers to some complains about the game. For the paid DLC part, players have been criticizing the length of the game and lack of online play, it feels rushed so people are not really happy with the already announced premium content.

Kinvara

I didn't realize that the Wii U was tracking above the PS4 in Japan. (That aside, sales for both are still pretty weak.)

How long has this been going on?

(Sorry, i haven't been following sales threads here recently...)

Foshy

Wasn't the argument before release, was that it wouldn't greatly increase sales because it would only sell to existing owners.

I'd say so, it's obviously a game for the audience that bought God Eater 2 already. If word of mouth is good, it could have legs maybe lead to a higher baseline in the long run, but I don't think anyone seriously expected a huge hardware bump (>20-30k) in the first week.

It probably won't, but Sony has another round of value bundles coming up in a few weeks.

And while we wait for this week's report: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/02/freedom-wars-producer-responds-players-say-game-tough/

Freedom Wars' producer answers to some complains about the game. For the paid DLC part, players have been criticizing the length of the game and lack of online play, it feels rushed so people are not really happy with the already announced premium content.

So people are saying it's too hard? Going for the Souls audience too then :p

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Is there a recap anywhere of the Hatsune Miku event where Remix got announced? It seems they announced a PS4 title as well...

Shengar

So people are saying it's too hard? Going for the Souls audience too then :p
Nope, mostly because the game play like TPS than hunting action especially against humanoid enemies. You can said that this is a culture shock for Japanese players.

Mpl90

Ah, ok, I found a recap. Translating from Italian to English

Project Diva F 3rd - not official yet, it could be also Extend or something else
For PS3/Vita, official announcement coming when they're at 39% of development...songs, Diva room, graphics and gameplay will evolve further

PS4 Project - only PS4, official announcement when 39% of development it's reached (like F 3rd), unknown what it is (F 3rd, spin-off, etc.)

Project Mirai Remix - 3DS, Spring 2015, it's the Extend of the Mirai series

mao2

Sorry to impose, but what are these packs offering?
What do they include? I can't seem to find any info about them.
The new Super Value Packs come with a SIM card (3G/Wifi model only), 8GB memory card, protective film, pouch, product code (30 days free trial for Music Unlimited/ Video Unlimited) and a bunch of pre-installed F2P games, demo and app.
http://www.jp.playstation.com/psvita/hardware/pchj10019.html
http://www.jp.playstation.com/psvita/hardware/pchj10017.html
http://www.jp.playstation.com/psvita/hardware/pchj10018.html

Mpl90

Seeing how Japanese multi games tend to still debut better on PS3 than on PS4 and how, on the contrary, Western multi games debut better on PS4 than on PS3 (last case in point: Watch Dogs), it seems like PS4 attracted mainly the Japanese audience which likes Western games, so far.

It's probably a port of F2nd since Sega messed that up on PSV/PS3.

edit: Or not. I'm not sure it's wise to have three (four if you include the arcade) different series in a franchise that isn't really growing.

It's just F2P stuff. I doubt they'll move the needle much.
Sega wisdom

PS4 needs any help it can get in Japan

L~A

MC :

3DS LL 22,803
Vita 22,192
Wii U 10,653
PS4 8,059
PS3 7,480
3DS 5,081
Vita TV 2,727
PSP 1,445
Xbox 360 201

Mpl90

MC :

3DS LL 22,803
Vita 22,192
Wii U 10,653
PS4 8,059
PS3 7,480
3DS 5,081
Vita TV 2,727
PSP 1,445
Xbox 360 201

MC has Wii U being basically at the same level as of last week. Combining this with Famitsu having it slightly higher than last week...maybe it's seriously stabilising now? Even if the two trackers have quite different numbers, though :lol

The same for Vita and 3DS, not just the order :p

The new Super Value Packs come with a SIM card (3G/Wifi model only), 8GB memory card, protective film, pouch, product code (30 days free trial for Music Unlimited/ Video Unlimited) and a bunch of pre-installed F2P games, demo and app.
http://www.jp.playstation.com/psvita/hardware/pchj10019.html
http://www.jp.playstation.com/psvita/hardware/pchj10017.html
http://www.jp.playstation.com/psvita/hardware/pchj10018.html

It's probably a port of F2nd since Sega messed that up on PSV/PS3.

edit: Or not. I'm not sure it's wise to have three (four if you include the arcade) different series in a franchise that isn't really growing.

It's just F2P stuff. I doubt they'll move the needle much.

Thanks Mao2 and Takao. Much appreciated.

Top Bottom