• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2015 (Jul 13 - Jul 19)

test_account

XP-39C²
Was there a substantial increase in retail price for FF13 compared to previous FF main games that justifies the decline? Don´t know if you remember but FF13 is also a game that had seen very deep price slashes incredibly fast due to performing way under expectations. DQ9 also sold so much because they chose the right systems. I also doubt comparisons with DQ8 and especially DQ7 will end that much better. Anyway it is just a matter of how steep the decline will be compared to DQ9.
That is true. I was just thinking that DQ9 sold on its own strengths (price, platform, reception and the popularity of the IP), and i think that it would have sold about the same even if FF13 sold more or less than it did. I'm not sure what the prices for the other FF games were, probably similar. I think DQ9 was the cheapest in it's serie (mainline).

The more interesting thing is, what happens after DQ11, since a speculated PS3 version of DQ11 in 2016 will be responsible for the lion share of sales, it basically is the backbone of why DQ11 is even beeing considered for PS4 at this point in my opinion. Unless a DQ11 successor launches quite early this very backbone won´t be viable anymore, that´s the point were DQ really risks even further decline, since I doubt PS4 will pick up the slack adequately.
My guess is that they havnt planned much around that. I think that they will take it as it comes. Regardless of which platform that they would have chose for DQ11, they would be facing the same issue (except for PC, tablets/phones and maybe PS4) because those platforms will also be outdated in 3-5 years (when DQ12 probably will be released).

Capcom itself stated that DQS was going to be the start of a new series.

This line made me understand things better I think. They're intending for it to be a new, constant sub-series within the main series. That I get.

Well, let's hope this did well enough for them then!

That is true. I was just thinking that DQ9 sold on its own strengths (price, platform, reception and the popularity of the IP), and i think that it would have sold about the same even if FF13 sold more or less than it did. I'm not sure what the prices for the other FF games were, probably similar. I think DQ9 was the cheapest in it's serie (mainline).

Don't want to butt into your conversation too much, just wanted to provide some figures for reference:

FFVII - 3,937,899
FFVIII - 3,501,588
FFIX - 2,707,301
FFX - 3,019,003
FFXII - 2,464,679
FFXIII - 1,965,465

(Bonus:
FFX-2 - 2,320,353
FFXIII-2 - 912,841)

DQVII - 3,893,293
DQVIII - 3,705,170
DQIX - 4,396,161

(Bonus:
DQIV PS1 - 1,229,501
DQV PS2 - 1,810,766
DQVI DS - 1,391,524)

Final Fantasy seems to have been on a constant trajectory since peaking with VII although X did do something to offset that, it's worth noting that that particular entry had a load of extra SKU's bumping up its total (International; Mega Hits & a dual pack with X-2 on top of the common Ultimate Hits SKU's).

Dragon Quest on the other hand was consistent between VII and VIII before spiking up with IX. The remakes also seemed to be highly consistent (IV and V on DS were both around 1.3m).

Putting DQIX on DS was seemingly a smart move in terms of actual numbers sold for growing the series, at least in Japan. I'd imagine Final Fantasy could've benefited from this too, but that's a series which has to sell to a global market just as much as a local one.

Mr Swine

Banned
So what are the chances of the new DQ game and FF7 Remake appearing on the NX? It would be a big plus for Nintnedo if both came to the NX (if it's a handheld that is)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well first we'd have to see what either game looks like and know what the NX is to assess how realistic that is and how the game would compare on the system.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
agguhc agguhc agguhc

TjTCWlk.png

Seriously, now, I don't get why the game saw such a sudden decrease. On July 19th, it was 31st, and then, a rapid and intense downfall. Ending of an event?

Mpl90

Event ended, and game's not that good.

I'd say more that the game features not that much content, unfortunately. That and it's very repetitive, especially with the monsters. Even if Chapter 2nd is a bit more varied...but, while I didn't go that far, I saw that the monsters they had a quite simple realisation, compared to everything else (monster models are repeated over and over, but the fact they're don well can't be denied).

Vena

I'd say more that the game features not that much content, unfortunately. That and it's very repetitive, especially with the monsters. Even if Chapter 2nd is a bit more varied...but, while I didn't go that far, I saw that the monsters they had a quite simple realisation, compared to everything else (monster models are repeated over and over, but the fact they're don well can't be denied).

You just described a game that isn't (all that) good.

Your avatar was better with 8 more Kirbies instead of one Miku.

I'll be bored of it soon enough to make a new one. But shopping the Mass Attack Kirby's isn't that easy!

Mpl90

You just described a game that isn't (all that) good.

I'll be bored of it soon enough to make a new one. But shopping the Mass Attack Kirby's isn't that easy!

Yeah, it's very repetitive and lacks content. Of course, it's not that good :p
It seems Square vastly overestimated the potential of a mobile RPG promoted as "a Final Fantasy experience tailored on mobile", complete with great graphics. Or better: they vastly overestimated the potential of such a game, but with a small amount of content, which is probably the consequence of the game being much more resource-intensive than all other mobile RPGs.

Vena

Yeah, it's very repetitive and lacks content. Of course, it's not that good :p
It seems Square vastly overestimated the potential of a mobile RPG promoted as "a Final Fantasy experience tailored on mobile", complete with great graphics. Or better: they vastly overestimated the potential of such a game, but with a small amount of content, which is probably the consequence of the game being much more resource-intensive than all other mobile RPGs.

The bold seems to be something we could say about SE in general as of recent.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Don't let yourself get bullied by theprodigy Vena!

You're perfect the way you are!

Mpl's avatar however....

Vena

Courtesy of L_A, assuming I am allowed to post this since I saw it on reddit, Japan is getting a new Splatoon Testfire to coincide with summer vacation. This will likely further help the game's seemingly endless tentacles. I don't think it needs a new thread, but if someone wants to make one they are more than free to do so.

Also this is pretty cool to from Splatoon's Miiverse community (for Japan only), got directed to this by my friend as a heads up: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkTFQyyYQ

Nintendo's really going hard on the title and community, lol. And that's a good thing.

Fisico

and well above expectations in Western markets - where margins were higher because of digital delivery.

And did the amount of lost sales because of the lack of retail release was compensated by slightly higer margins on digital?
I would like to believe it, but that doesn't seem very likely.
(Western markets also appear to be pretty much a non factor for the GS series at this point, I'd like to be wrong, but the way AA5 was released and the silence regarding DGS outside of Japan doesn't give any confidence in that regard)

DGS is basically a new IP - the gameplay is sort of the same but changing the whole cast and scenario means offering a new game in a series that is beloved because of characters. The experiment has been mildly successful in my opinion, and given its novelty might have more legs than usual.

I think it's kinda misleading to call it a new IP, but that's just arguing on semantic so let's put that aside.
Despite being about new characters it's still about the ancestor of the main protagonist who happened to have the exact same face, the same gestures, and even similar animations, his assistant is also looking pretty much like a Maya from the past with her mischievous attitude and all, and even the rival prosecutor looks like Edgeworth who cosplayed as Dracula or something.

Point is that despite being about new characters, everything has been done to make it look like something similar the original cast, I can clearly some casual Gyakuten Saiban fan stumble upon the boxart and think "Oh it looks like Naruhoudou and Mitsurugi from the Meiji era", it was clearly done on purpose to attract the usual fans this way.

The fact DGS is selling less copies than AA5 doesn't surprise anyone, but it's the difference between the two that is bigger than expected because, as you said it, it was intended as a new subseries alongside the mainline entries and has been treated with a similar kind of budget for development, is having 40% lower sales for your first entry sustainable or worth the effort for Capcom?
The question might be worth asking, because being a new subseries and not trying to attract a different audience than the main GS, it's to be expected that sales of an eventual sequel could only be down from the first episode, just like it did with the two Gyakuten Kenji, so if the baseline is not high enough Capcom could simply decide to not greenlight a sequel.

As a matter of fact since I don't think we will agree on the matter anyway, what would you have considered to be dissapointing sales for DGS : 100k, 150k, 180k LTD ?

vinnygambini

In case anyone still thought Final Fantasy XV would be out before Fall 2016, their Gamescom mega-blowout consists of 17+ 2 hour playthroughs of Episode Duscae and one ATR about some new things: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1084325

They pretty obviously don't have much else in a showable state which would odd even for a Spring game.

Ridiculous.

Kingdom Hearts 3 to launch before XV.

Who would of thought?

Vena

Ridiculous.

Kingdom Hearts 3 to launch before XV.

Who would of thought?

It must be more trouble with Luminous on the consoles or in general. And even if KH3 is on a normal engine, I am still not going to hold my breadth that they get it out in any reasonable time and don't completely over-engineer the game into development oblivion.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I would like to point out that with Luminous they have never actually showed a development pipeline for building actual game content.

They've shown a ton of rendering features and physics simulations, and they've also showed a plugin to help import and edit content from Maya, but we've never seen anything resembling a level editor or a gameplay scripting system.

They also noted that the first tech demo was actually just straight up models stitched together in Maya, so I seriously wonder if they don't have what would be considered an actual development toolset instead of just a rendering engine.

It would explain why basically every other product, even internally developed, uses a different (often externally licensed) engine.

Mory Dunz

In case anyone still thought Final Fantasy XV would be out before Fall 2016, their Gamescom mega-blowout consists of 17+ 2 hour playthroughs of Episode Duscae and one ATR about some new things: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1084325

They pretty obviously don't have much else in a showable state which would odd even for a Spring game.

I'm sticking to what I've been saying.

FF Fall 2017.

KH Fall 2018

FF7 2020

I've seen some optimistic dates from people since E3. heh

Scum

KH3 - 2016
FFXV - 2017
DQXI & FFVIIr - 2018

Well first we'd have to see what either game looks like and know what the NX is to assess how realistic that is and how the game would compare on the system.

"No." then. ¬_¬

Vena

I mean, common sense would deem KH3 as a 2016 game but, frankly, given who's in charge of it and even with a standard, licensed engine, I can't help myself but think it will also not hit 2016.

vinnygambini

I mean, common sense would deem KH3 as a 2016 game but, frankly, given who's in charge of it and even with a standard, licensed engine, I can't help myself but think it will also not hit 2016.

This fiscal year is Eidos bringing the money home for console development. Next year is SE with Dragon Quest and KH3.

Makes sense since Disney Interactive are actively monitoring its development.

Vena

This fiscal year is Eidos bringing the money home for console development. Next year is SE with Dragon Quest and KH3.

Makes sense since Disney Interactive are actively monitoring its development.

I get that, but we've been down this road of "it can't possible be..." before, lol.

QaaQer

Well as an engineer (not in gaming industry though) I think any company in sci & tech field are expected to output more (more fidelity, complexity or whatever) as time goes by while keeping the budget same. I know it won't always work like that but at least that's a very common demand exist in any type of industry.

worker productivity is supposed to go up every year. I need my $5 battery chicken Mcnuggets fried by foreign temp workers.

ZhugeEX

Banned
There is lots of rumours going around that a new Dead or Alive game will be confirmed to be in development on August 1st at exactly 4:45pm JST.

Or it could just be information on current DoA5: LR.

RyoonZ

Banned
There is lots of rumours going around that a new Dead or Alive game will be confirmed to be in development on August 1st at exactly 4:45pm JST.

Or it could just be information on current DoA5: LR.

Can't wait for that next gen physics!

2lIKmfX.jpg

hiska-kun

It was mentioned before, and the truth is that I wasn't paying much attention to it, but The Great Ace Attorney is sold out in every shop.

I don't know if we can expect some kind of legs (the last entry didn't have any).

Vena

It was mentioned before, and the truth is that I wasn't paying much attention to it, but The Great Ace Attorney is sold out in every shop.

I don't know if we can expect some kind of legs (the last entry didn't have any).

I bet Sammy will be happy to hear that, lol.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21./10. [3DS] Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.06.11} (¥6.145)
22./12. [PSV] Persona 4: Dancing All Night # <ACT> (Atlus) {2015.06.25} (¥7.538)
23./00. [PS4] God of War III Remastered <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.07.16} (¥5.292)
24./22. [PSV] God Eater 2: Rage Burst <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.02.19} (¥6.145)
25./17. [3DS] Return to PoPoLoCrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale <RPG> (Marvelous) {2015.06.18} (¥6.458)
26./21. [PS4] Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair <ACT> (D3 Publisher) {2015.04.02} (¥7.538)
27./20. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition <RPG> (GungHo Online Entertainment) {2015.04.29} (¥4.320)
28./24. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate # <ACT> (Capcom) {2014.10.11} (¥6.264)
29./25. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800)
30./27. [PS4] Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.06.23} (¥4.104)
31./34. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.12.13} (¥4.968)
32./30. [WIU] Mario Party 10 # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2015.03.12} (¥5.616)
33./28. [PSV] Chaos;Child # <ADV> (5pb.) {2015.06.25} (¥7.344)
34./26. [PSV] The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Evolution # <RPG> (Kadokawa Games) {2015.06.11} (¥6.264)
35./23. [3DS] Ansatsu Kyoushitsu: Korosensei Daihouimou!! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.12} (¥6.145)
36./40. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V # <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2014.12.11} (¥7.992)
37./36. [3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.01.11} (¥4.800)
38./42. [3DS] Tomodachi Life # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.04.18} (¥4.800)
39./00. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V [1/1][New Price Edition] <ACT> (Rockstar Games) {2014.06.26} (¥5.389)
40./32. [3DS] Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai Deluxe <ACT> (Sega) {2015.05.28} (¥5.378)
41./37. [PSV] Pro Baseball Spirits 2015 <SPT> (Konami) {2015.03.26} (¥7.538)
42./46. [PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 2015 <SPT> (Konami) {2015.03.26} (¥8.208)
43./00. [PSV] Girls & Panzer: Senshado, Kiwamemasu! # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.06.26} (¥7.171)
44./35. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Koko ga Ochitsukundesu <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2014.11.20} (¥5.184)
45./33. [PSV] Shiren the Wanderer 5 Plus: Fortune Tower and the Dice of Fate <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft) {2015.06.04} (¥5.184)
46./31. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission 2 <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.08.07} (¥6.145)
47./47. [3DS] Dragon Quest VII: Warriors of Eden [1/1][Ultimate Hits] <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.04.16} (¥3.024)
48./00. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.07.10} (¥4.968)
49./00. [3DS] Dasshutsu Adventure: Zetsubou Yousai <ADV> (Rocket Company) {2015.07.16} (¥5.184)
50./29. [PS4] Final Fantasy XIV: The Complete Experience {Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn \ Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward} <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.06.23} (¥6.264)

Top 50

3DS - 25
PSV - 10
PS4 - 9
WIU - 4
PS3 - 2

SOFTWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    594.000 |  1.159.000 |    749.000 | 17.912.000 | 21.544.000 |

Mpl90

Don't let yourself get bullied by theprodigy Vena!

You're perfect the way you are!

Mpl's avatar however....

What's wrong with it? It's an avatar which is also a prayer to goddess Palutena, that she will enlighten us with a Kid Icarus Uprising 2 next year! Who doesn't want a KI:U2, after the amazingly insane (and content-packed) first game? Come on, guys! We need it.
I need it :(

And did the amount of lost sales because of the lack of retail release was compensated by slightly higer margins on digital?
I would like to believe it, but that doesn't seem very likely.
(Western markets also appear to be pretty much a non factor for the GS series at this point, I'd like to be wrong, but the way AA5 was released and the silence regarding DGS outside of Japan doesn't give any confidence in that regard)

Note that AA games sold around 100k per entry in North America... That is not a high target to achieve. Btw, the game met company's projections so it sold well.

I think it's kinda misleading to call it a new IP, but that's just arguing on semantic so let's put that aside.
Despite being about new characters it's still about the ancestor of the main protagonist who happened to have the exact same face, the same gestures, and even similar animations, his assistant is also looking pretty much like a Maya from the past with her mischievous attitude and all, and even the rival prosecutor looks like Edgeworth who cosplayed as Dracula or something.

Point is that despite being about new characters, everything has been done to make it look like something similar the original cast, I can clearly some casual Gyakuten Saiban fan stumble upon the boxart and think "Oh it looks like Naruhoudou and Mitsurugi from the Meiji era", it was clearly done on purpose to attract the usual fans this way.

Of course; the game also retains the main gameplay from the series - this doesn't change the fact that it has a completely new cast in a new world (it's set in the past, half in Japan and half in London). The cast might resemble a bit the usual cast from mainline entries but they are still different characters.

The fact DGS is selling less copies than AA5 doesn't surprise anyone, but it's the difference between the two that is bigger than expected because, as you said it, it was intended as a new subseries alongside the mainline entries and has been treated with a similar kind of budget for development, is having 40% lower sales for your first entry sustainable or worth the effort for Capcom?
The question might be worth asking, because being a new subseries and not trying to attract a different audience than the main GS, it's to be expected that sales of an eventual sequel could only be down from the first episode, just like it did with the two Gyakuten Kenji, so if the baseline is not high enough Capcom could simply decide to not greenlight a sequel.

As a matter of fact since I don't think we will agree on the matter anyway, what would you have considered to be dissapointing sales for DGS : 100k, 150k, 180k LTD ?

120-130k units.

And how much should have sold in order to being not disappointing in Capcom's eyes for you? The game is also sold-out in many places which is a good sign, since there's interest in the game and good word-of-mouth.

Maybe I'm way off, but it's looking to me like FFvXIII really was tossed in the bin and FFXV is an entirely new game with recycled assets that more or less began real development when Tsubasa took over. The development cycle is just too weird.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
new releases {2015.07.30}

[3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer # <ETC> (Nintendo) (¥4.320)
[3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer (1/2)(NFC Reader / Writer Set) <ETC> (Nintendo) (¥5.400)
[3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer (2/2)(New Nintendo 3DS LL Pack) <ETC> (Nintendo) (¥23.760)
[3DS] Corpse Party: Blood Covered - Repeated Fear # <ADV> (5pb.) (¥6.264)
[3DS] Corpse Party: Blood Covered - Repeated Fear (1/1)(Limited Edition) <ADV> (5pb.) (¥8.424)
[3DS] Akogare Girls Collection: Wan Nyan Doubutsu Byouin - Suteki na Juui-San ni Narou! <ADV> (Nippon Columbia) (¥5.184)
[3DS] Go! Princess PreCure Sugar Oukoku to 6-nin no Princess! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.119)
[3DS] Asonde Shogi ga Kyoukunaru! Kane Hoshi Shogi DX <TBL> (SilverStar) (¥5.184)
[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate [1/1][Best Price!] <ACT> (Capcom) (¥3.769)

[PSV] IA/VT: Colorful # <ACT> (Marvelous) (¥5.184)
[PSV] IA/VT: Colorful (1/1)(Crystal Box) <ACT> (Marvelous) (¥9.979)
[PSV] Date-A-Live Twin Edition: Rio Reincarnation <Date A Live: Rine Utopia \ Date A Live: Ars Install> # <ADV> (Compile Heart) (¥7.344)
[PSV] Date-A-Live Twin Edition: Rio Reincarnation <Date A Live: Rine Utopia \ Date A Live: Ars Install> (1/1)(Limited Edition) <ADV> (Compile Heart) (¥9.504)
[PSV] Shinsouhan Heart no Kuni no Alice: Wonderful Wonder World # <ADV> (QuinRose) (¥6.804)
[PSV] Shinsouhan Heart no Kuni no Alice: Wonderful Wonder World (1/1)(Deluxe Edition) <ADV> (QuinRose) (¥9.504)
[PSV] Klap!! Kind Love and Punish # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.264)
[PSV] Klap!! Kind Love and Punish (1/1)(Limited Edition) <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥8.424)
[PSV] Prince of Stride # <ADV> (Kadokawa Games) (¥6.912)
[PSV] Prince of Stride (1/1)(Limited Edition) <ADV> (Kadokawa Games) (¥9.936)
[PSV] Zettai Meikyuu: Himitsu no Oya Yubi Hime # <ADV> (Views) (¥6.264)
[PSV] Zettai Meikyuu: Himitsu no Oya Yubi Hime (1/1)(Deluxe Edition) <ADV> (Views) (¥8.424)
[PSV] Natsumegu # <ADV> (Technical Group Laboratory) (¥5.378)
[PSV] Natsumegu (1/1)(Limited Edition) <ADV> (Technical Group Laboratory) (¥6.458)
[PSV] Fushigi no Chronicle: Furikaerimasen Katsu Madewa <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft) (¥3.758)
[PSV] Ray Gigant <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.664)
[PSV] Daisenryaku Exceed II <SLG> (SystemSoft Alpha) (¥7.020)

[PS4] F1 2015 <RCE> (Ubisoft) (¥8.618)
[PS4] Fushigi no Chronicle: Furikaerimasen Katsu Madewa <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft) (¥4.298)

[XB1] F1 2015 <RCE> (Ubisoft) (¥8.618)

[PS3] Daisenryaku Exceed II <SLG> (SystemSoft Alpha) (¥8.100)

Alrus

Ray Gigant is coming out next week? I feel like they barely showed anything with that game, like it wasn't coming out until a year or so.

Mpl90

As hopeful as I'd love to be, this is likely/almost certainly the case. It will depend heavily on how well Nintendo entices mobile gamers to their hardware and presents it to the general public.

I wonder if the fans of the game aren't unhappy with it or otherwise. I know my friends don't give a hoot and just pick what they like, but I do also know that some times people are very adverse to advertising getting into their things. Would be terrible to see good will squandered by shoving product placement down people's throats, but then again it is not actually all that intrusive (and I'd imagine they'd probably have run out of Splatfest ideas pretty damn fast without this) as you said. If it is paying for the updates, though, that's an interesting way of handling this as a whole.

I know this is an older post, but I wanted to give my insight on the matter of NX's LTD, in a different light.
Let's assume Nintendo actually implement the "family of consoles" plan as we expect (thus, consoles and handhelds becoming "mere" form factors sharing functions/OS/games). In that sense, looking at NX handheld's LTD wouldn't tell the whole story, because you'd have to count NX's console (as well as possible other form factors, like a NX tablet). So, by summing all the form factors, you'd get an idea of the total installed base for NX, right? ...Sort of. I mean, there will be customers who already bought the NX handheld, who entered the ecosystem, and that will be the home device as well. Thus, the focus should shift from mere installed base to "amount of unique users", which would give a better idea of the actual situation.

Also, and this implies a realisation of the plan as expected...the concept of "generations" could change. Not in terms of hardware not evolving, but in terms of game lineup. I'll explain a little more now: in the current gaming landscape, when you release a brand new console, you start from zero in terms of games: less if you have backcompatibility, but it's still limited to the immediatly former console. Thus, all the older games (digital exclusives/eShop) need to be re-released.
Instead, on mobile devices, you surely see brand new devices coming out every year, but, once released, they already have millions of apps available when you turn them on and compatible with the new devices. Similarly, Steam's lineup is costantly increasing, without needing to restart from scratch once every 6 years. Thus, I think that, in the case of the expected execution of the plan, we'd see a costantly increasing gaming lineup, with no need to build it from zero once a new hardware arrives: so, there's a far more promising proposition for customers who want to enter the Nintendo ecosystem by buying a device at launch and would see lots of titles available from the get go.

I think these two possible consequences could change the way we look at hardware / software sales compared to the traditional model, especially if cross-buy is implemented for every game shared between different devices. But we still need to see if the family of consoles will come truth, so...is it 2016 yet?

Darius

Banned
I know this is an older post, but I wanted to give my insight on the matter of NX's LTD, in a different light.
Let's assume Nintendo actually implement the "family of consoles" plan as we expect (thus, consoles and handhelds becoming "mere" form factors sharing functions/OS/games). In that sense, looking at NX handheld's LTD wouldn't tell the whole story, because you'd have to count NX's console (as well as possible other form factors, like a NX tablet). So, by summing all the form factors, you'd get an idea of the total installed base for NX, right? ...Sort of. I mean, there will be customers who already bought the NX handheld, who entered the ecosystem, and that will be the home device as well. Thus, the focus should shift from mere installed base to "amount of unique users", which would give a better idea of the actual situation.

Also, and this implies a realisation of the plan as expected...the concept of "generations" could change. Not in terms of hardware not evolving, but in terms of game lineup. I'll explain a little more now: in the current gaming landscape, when you release a brand new console, you start from zero in terms of games: less if you have backcompatibility, but it's still limited to the immediatly former console. Thus, all the older games (digital exclusives/eShop) need to be re-released.
Instead, on mobile devices, you surely see brand new devices coming out every year, but, once released, they already have millions of apps available when you turn them on and compatible with the new devices. Similarly, Steam's lineup is costantly increasing, without needing to restart from scratch once every 6 years. Thus, I think that, in the case of the expected execution of the plan, we'd see a costantly increasing gaming lineup, with no need to build it from zero once a new hardware arrives: so, there's a far more promising proposition for customers who want to enter the Nintendo ecosystem by buying a device at launch and would see lots of titles available from the get go.

I think these two possible consequences could change the way we look at hardware / software sales compared to the traditional model, especially if cross-buy is implemented for every game shared between different devices. But we still need to see if the family of consoles will come truth, so...is it 2016 yet?

The most interesting thing is that despite all the "experts", we are reaching the end of 2015 with 3DS still beeing the dominant dedicated videogame system in Japan, despite 3DS beeing "supposed" to be replaced for quite some time by now. With 2016 beeing a further year with multi-million selling software in Japan.

As for merging userbases, for selfish and not necessarily market relevant reasons, it would be nice to see a return to "cards", and the different form factors/systems supporting the same medium. It would be very convinient to use all your handheld games also on a technical superior console, similar to Super Gameboy without any peripherals. Even better if the content is scalable to take advantage of the console hardware.

Rymuth

What's wrong with it? It's an avatar which is also a prayer to goddess Palutena, that she will enlighten us with a Kid Icarus Uprising 2 next year! Who doesn't want a KI:U2, after the amazingly insane (and content-packed) first game? Come on, guys! We need it.
I need it :(
Only if they bring back
hades
and make it a visual novel instead of a shooter.

Mechanics were awful but the dialogue made it all worthwhile.

L~A

Looks like first week sales were more or less according to Capcom's expectations (based on the final sell-through %), word of mouth is strong but Capcom wasn't ready so getting more cartridges made will take a while.

Fisico

Note that AA games sold around 100k per entry in North America... That is not a high target to achieve. Btw, the game met company's projections so it sold well.

They're talking about japanese sales, and we already said what needed to be said earlier, Capcom is happy with it and it's down from the previous entry in a significant way.
Regarding western sales I'd dare to say that being digital and english only (like the first Ace Attorney Investigations), it mooooost likely didn't sell as much as the previous episodes that hitted retail shelves.
I may be wrong, we have zero numbers as hard proof as far as I know, but everything is pointing towards that direction.

And if we want to discuss AA5 sales, this link is telling me that "projected sales were basically achieved", I don't know if it refers to japanese sales, western sales, or both.
The way it's worded make it look like it just reached the lower end of the expectations, but that may be due to poor translation too, I don't want to interpret it any further as there's too many unknowns and I don't have any agenda to fit anyway.

120-130k units.

And how much should have sold in order to being not disappointing in Capcom's eyes for you? The game is also sold-out in many places which is a good sign, since there's interest in the game and good word-of-mouth.

It's hard to say without knowing what were Capcom's expectations to begin with, and we still have to see what will be the legs of the title and which number it will reach LTD, but 120-130k would definitely be a failure (I mean a third of what did AA5 would only be a dissapointement?).

Anything below 200k you might wonder if it didn't fell short of Capcom's expectations imo, 250-300k is what I would call a succes for DGS. currently if it has similar legs than AA5 it's on track to reach 205k LTD, so not a success but not a failure either, a slight dissapointment maybe?

383. [3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies <ADV> (Capcom) {2013.07.25} (¥5.990) - 12.150 / 369.816 (250.216 <67,56%>)

And why was Penny banned this time? Was it because of the Beyond the Labyrinth stuff ?

Top Bottom