• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 40, 2013 (Sep 30 - Oct 06)

cafemomo

Yeah, he's a joke character by now. But there's always unaware people coming to these threads falling for his bait...

I'm not joking around.

Maybe I'm a lil bais towards the fact that game, especially a Final Fantasy title, is comming to a handheld I truly enjoy.

and maybe my views might be a little skewed to think that a 12 year old game will save a handheld, but I honeslty do think that FF, even though that IP is going down the shitter, will help the Vita one way or another.

The future of the Vita is bright, I know it will never reach 3DS levels, but in the end of the day, it will be a very successful venture for Sony and the third parties who have invested in it.

Tagg9

If they had considered/loved OLED, they would have hated the 3DS's screen.

I don't think they care about the screen at all.

Obviously that isn't the deciding factor for a console. I'm just suggesting that if someone is planning to buy a Vita, then one might think that screen quality is a big decider of which model to purchase.

The time MH4 will start outselling MHP3 launch aligned is coming. Short supply, Pokemon (with the expected shortage this title will also have) and holidays will lead to much better legs.

Do you mean weekly or LTD? I can see the former, but I have doubts the latter will ever happen.

If they had considered/loved OLED, they would have hated the 3DS's screen.

I don't think they care about the screen at all.
That's a fallacy. Firstly, because loving OLED doesn't mean to hate the LCD. Secondly, because what makes the 3DS the beast it currently is it's not its screen, but its games.

If the screen matters or not, that's something we will know once the Vita 2000 is released and comparing its sales to the OLED model.

At this point, all what we know is that the screen its of course much less important than the game.

Rolf NB

Fair point. The OLED screen quality must not be a big factor to the Japanese market (or they are just unaware of it).
You only have to look at the successes of Nintendo handhelds to deduce that screen quality is a minor concern at best. PSP, too, to be fair.

Rolf NB

PSP had amazing screen for its time. I still haven't forgotten first time I put my PSP on. Dat fucking screen.
PSP3000's screen is really not that great. I mean, it's ok. Everything is. But I'd never call it high quality. And that's the model that sold the lion's chunk of the current install base.

It's all about price IMO.

PSP3000's screen is really not that great. I mean, it's ok. Everything is. But I'd never call it high quality. And that's the model that sold the lion's chunk of the current install base.

It's all about price IMO.

Well of course 2008 when 3000 was released it wasn't anymore that much ahead of other devices like smartphones but back in 2004/2005 PSPs screen was just amazing. Going from dumb phones and GBA to that was mindblowing. I also actually agree with you that it's in no way a big selling point and to get price lower in future it's wise from Sony to go cheaper LCD. Just wanted to correct that PSP had amazing screen for its time lol.

RM8

It makes me chuckle a little that anyone would think OLED would be relevant for sales. There's a reason Sony is getting rid of it. GAF is truly not representative of the actual market out there, much less the Japanese market.

It makes me chuckle a little that anyone would think OLED would be relevant for sales. There's a reason Sony is getting rid of it. GAF is truly not representative of the actual market out there, much less the Japanese market.
Well.... i somehow think Sony were actually factoring in the OLED when they were making the VITA. As it turned out, it didn't really contribute much to sales and hence they went back to LCD to cut costs.

I love my OLED VITA though.

Sakura

If the new model was cheaper in any significant way, then I would agree OLED would not be relevant at all. But it's not cheaper, and it doesn't really have any advantage over the regular Vita other than simply being slightly thinner/weighing less. So if you are a consumer and you have to choose between the two which are priced the same, personally I would choose the OLED one.

RM8

If the new model was cheaper in any significant way, then I would agree OLED would not be relevant at all. But it's not cheaper, and it doesn't really have any advantage over the regular Vita other than simply being slightly thinner/weighing less. So if you are a consumer and you have to choose between the two which are priced the same, personally I would choose the OLED one.
They cost basically the same, Vita LCD is not a cheaper alternative by any means. It's basically putting those resources to better use - giving Vita SOME internal memory while keeping costs more or less the same. See, the most successful handhelds, phones and tablets don't have OLED displays, it's really not inaccurate to say the market mostly doesn't care about OLED. Especially if Vita LCD stomps all over Vita OLED, which I think will happen.

Screen quality, for good or for bad, never matters. Game Boy had a terrible calculator-like 4-shades-of-green screen while the Lynx released almost simultaneously with a color, backlit screen. It truly doesn't matter.

Tohsaka

They cost basically the same, Vita LCD is not a cheaper alternative by any means. It's basically putting those resources to better use - giving Vita SOME internal memory while keeping costs more or less the same. See, the most successful handhelds, phones and tablets don't have OLED displays, it's really not inaccurate to say the market mostly doesn't care about OLED. Especially if Vita LCD stomps all over Vita OLED, which I think will happen.

Screen quality, for good or for bad, never matters. Game Boy had a terrible calculator-like 4-shades-of-green screen while the Lynx released almost simultaneously with a color, backlit screen. It truly doesn't matter.

It seems like a waste to give the system a measly 1GB of storage space, you can't even fit one retail game on there.

Rolf NB

Yeah, I think it definitely costs them less to make, which should increase the chances for a price drop. Maybe they just don't want the OLED stock to rot on shelves, and deliberately keep the price equal until that's all cleared out. Also, margins. Everyone loves margins.

gogogow

Lol what?! Do you know this little smartphone line by Samsung called "Galaxy"? The Galaxy S line (not including S4 and the Note series) sold more than 100 million units in just 2.5 years.

hongcha

It seems like a waste to give the system a measly 1GB of storage space, you can't even fit one retail game on there.

It's there for storing Vita game saves (and some other small file size stuff, such as PS1 classics) right out of the box, which is nice, as you couldn't do that before. If you want to download full games, you'll still have to buy a memory card. But if you just want to play retail games, you don't need a memory card at all with the 2000.

gogogow

iPhone, though. In any case, Vita's OLED hardly mattered, and that's what we're talking about.

It's like me saying: Android though. iOS hardly matters, because there's more Android phones out there. See how silly that sounds?!

When you think Vita, you'll think OLED screen, PowerVR SGX, dual sticks etc.

Though it's understandable Sony replaced it with a LCD. It's cheaper and that's all that matters to them, since Vita isn't succesful, so they have to cut costs.

Tohsaka

It's there for storing Vita game saves (and some other small file size stuff, such as PS1 classics) right out of the box, which is nice, as you couldn't do that before. If you want to download full games, you'll still have to buy a memory card. But if you just want to play retail games, you don't need a memory card at all with the 2000.

I suppose, but I really can't see someone not buying a memory card at some point. I guess maybe if you never want any DLC, or demos or PSN games, but I doubt there are too many people who fit into that category. I'd much rather have a better screen than a small amount of storage space.

gogogow

I suppose, but I really can't see someone not buying a memory card at some point. I guess maybe if you never want any DLC, or demos or PSN games, but I doubt there are too many people who fit into that category. I'd much rather have a better screen than a small amount of storage space.

I feel you, but that measly 1GB costs nothing compared to a more expensive OLED screen.

It's like me saying: Android though. iOS hardly matters, because there's more Android phones out there. See how silly that sounds?!

When you think Vita, you'll think OLED screen, PowerVR SGX, dual sticks etc.

Though it's understandable Sony replaced it with a LCD. It's cheaper and that's all that matters to them, since Vita isn't succesful, so they have to cut costs.

yeah no, this is why people always have to repeat NeoGAF=/=general gaming population

gogogow

yeah no, this is why people always have to repeat NeoGAF=/=general gaming population

yeah yes, who the hell are buying Vita's? Your average joe? Because it's so mainstream right? Yeah no indeed. The people who buys Vita's are indeed people who visits Neogaf and the like.

Eternia

I'd probably treat the 2000 model as a sidegrade at best and would rather consider it as an injection of new colours. The 1GB storage doesn't seem like a differentiating factor when a 4GB card on amazon is only about 1200 yen (right now). The increased battery life is probably the biggest feature but I don't know how much it matters to potential customers. With that in mind, the last time the Vita had new colours (red and blue) was November 15th of last year.

Media Create Nov 05-11 (Vita) - 4,021
Media Create Nov 12-18 (Vita) - 13,091

This time, with 6 additional variations coming in all at once, I could see it possibly crossing the 20,000 mark for the week. I do wonder if the effect could be more muted now it being further into the system's life and we've yet to see any sustained growth.

L Thammy

Stealing from Kagari's thread:

Final Fantasy VI is getting an iOS/Android remake in the same style as we saw with V.

http://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-vi-is-coming-to-ios-and-android-vii-coul-1443087791

They also mention they're interested in doing FF7.

They've dug the knife so deep that they've finally hit me. ;_;

More seriously, I think Square Enix's mobile focus isn't brought up enough in discussions of the Vita. Monster Hunter isn't the only PSP series to turn its back on Sony's handhelds.
Final Fantasy X HD doesn't count.

I'm not joking around.

Maybe I'm a lil bais towards the fact that game, especially a Final Fantasy title, is comming to a handheld I truly enjoy.

and maybe my views might be a little skewed to think that a 12 year old game will save a handheld, but I honeslty do think that FF, even though that IP is going down the shitter, will help the Vita one way or another.

The future of the Vita is bright, I know it will never reach 3DS levels, but in the end of the day, it will be a very successful venture for Sony and the third parties who have invested in it.
Regardless of how it sells, I will buy FF X-2 for Vita. If we are lucky, sales will be high enough to get SE to rerelease FF XII.

I'm not joking around.

So basically you know what you're saying is ridiculous but say it anyway for attention?

Watashiwa

yeah yes, who the hell are buying Vita's? Your average joe? Because it's so mainstream right? Yeah no indeed. The people who buys Vita's are indeed people who visits Neogaf and the like.

People who like Sony exclusives and thought that the Vita would host a large number of similar games. The number has been lacking, and the quality of any individual game hasn't been enough to count for a killer app, hence it's current sales numbers.

L Thammy

FFX Vita bundle to be released in the busiest week of the year. Suppadoopa redeemed.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=694597

No really, Sony is being really aggressive this last quarter.

Oct - Vita 2000
Nov - VitaTV, God Eater
Dec - FFX and probably more things I don't remember

Didn't realize that FFX followed Vita TV. If it was exclusive it would actually be a much better fit for the system than the more multiplayer-focused God Eater.

FFX Vita bundle to be released in the busiest week of the year. Suppadoopa redeemed.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=694597

No really, Sony is being really aggressive this last quarter.

Oct - Vita 2000
Nov - VitaTV, God Eater
Dec - FFX and probably more things I don't remember

theres a bundle with a 3gvita, 32gb card, hsg and a bunch of demos and free to play shit pre installed coming on oct 31 for 24k yen

an otome game bundle for dec 19 that comes with 2 games @ 22k yen

special edition vitas for gundam breaker, god eater 2 and ffx/x2

theres a bundle with a 3gvita, 32gb card, hsg and a bunch of demos and free to play shit pre installed coming on oct 31 for 24k yen

Rise up, Vita, rise, this is the beginning.

Faustek

Yes I want. Import for the SE Vitas and hope Namco Bandai shows some grace to us here in the west.

hatchx

Banned
Yeesh, one thing's for sure, if Nintendo can ever get WiiU to even decently-respectable numbers, it'll be on the biggest comeback turn-arounds the industry has ever seen.

Absolute death. I wonder how VitaTV and the WiiU bundles will spike sales.

10./07. [WIU] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD <ADV> (Nintendo) {2013.09.26} (¥5.985) - 6.210 / 36.474 (-79%)
17./06. [PS3] My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute. Happy End # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.09.26} (¥7.480) - 3.324 / 34.378 (-89%)

WIND WAKER REDEMPTION

Top Bottom