• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2013 (Oct 07 - Oct 13)

ohlawd

Yeah just given the seasonality and amount of things coming out that are of at least some note, I would expect it to not completely collapse until at least January.

Vita sales will drop like a fucking rock next week. They'll be back to consistent sub 20k numbers the week following.

lol oh snap.

Vita's good for the rest of the year in Japan. Hopefully the sales aren't as good in the west so there's a price collapse or something.

I'm just bitter my Walmart ain't stocking the Instant Game Collection bundle, want dat so bad.

mankoto

What? I refuse to believe this. Does anyone know the numbers done by the previous releases of the franchise for comparison? This looks extremely good to me for such a release of a niche title

08. / 00. [PSP] Dangan-Ronpa (Spike) {25/11/10} - 25.564 / NEW

05./00. [PSP] Super Dangan-Ronpa 2: Sayonara Zetsubou Gakuen # <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) {2012.07.26} (¥6.279) - 69.000 / NEW

Kantai Collection or Kancolle will be another big game for Vita in 2014.

It's a browser game with 800k registered players with the servers currently under load and registration to play locked down to a lottery system due to how insane the demand for the game is.

Having an offline version on the Vita will be potentially akin to P&DZ of the 3DS, if the signs and popularity of Kancolle is anything to talk about since it's getting a manga and anime soon.

B.O.O.M

08. / 00. [PSP] Dangan-Ronpa (Spike) {25/11/10} - 25.564 / NEW

05./00. [PSP] Super Dangan-Ronpa 2: Sayonara Zetsubou Gakuen # <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) {2012.07.26} (¥6.279) - 69.000 / NEW

Thank you! Holy shit then yes this is a great result. I'm sure Spike Chunsoft must be very happy with this result

I need to buy the localization (I think it's releasing next year)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I'm really hoping what creamsugar isn't saying what I think he's saying.... although I'm pretty sure he means NPD Wii U = dead....

Good job for Pokemon. Surprised at the Vita. Props to GTA V. So I've got to ask, how is it that the Wii U literally has nobody making games for it in Japan apart from Nintendo this holiday season (Sega w/ Sonic & Namco with Taiko I guess is there...)? How exactly did Nintendo get themselves into this state last year? It's absolutely ridiculous.

Also, what kind of advertising is Nintendo giving the Wii U? Pokemon actually seems to have been advertised properly, as so many people I know were aware it released, etc. Also Nintendo needs to go to retailers and give them lessons on a pitch for the Wii U, or at least explain to them what the thing is. It's pathetic that enough folks are just calling it a Wii. I know for phones, Nokia went up to AT&T stores and explained to their employees what their Windows Phones were.

I'm really hoping what creamsugar isn't saying what I think he's saying.... although I'm pretty sure he means NPD Wii U = dead....

Good job for Pokemon. Surprised at the Vita. Props to GTA V. So I've got to ask, how is it that the Wii U literally has nobody making games for it in Japan apart from Nintendo this holiday season (Sega w/ Sonic & Namco with Taiko I guess is there...)? How exactly did Nintendo get themselves into this state last year? It's absolutely ridiculous.

Also, what kind of advertising is Nintendo giving the Wii U? Pokemon actually seems to have been advertised properly, as so many people I know were aware it released, etc. Also Nintendo needs to go to retailers and give them lessons on a pitch for the Wii U, or at least explain to them what the thing is. It's pathetic that enough folks are just calling it a Wii. I know for phones, Nokia went up to AT&T stores and explained to their employees what their Windows Phones were.

he could just be referring to how the wii u performed this week in japan, this is the media create thread after all, yeah he gets npd numbers but why would he get them early

Link Between Two World 3DS and WiiU Party.

PS3:
Shin Gundam Musou
Super Robot Wars OG Infinite Battle

Cheers

Notable releases:

Vita:
God Eater 2
FFX HD

PS3:
GT6
FFX HD
FF13 LR
Shin Gundam Musou
Super Robot Wars

WiiU:
SM3D World
WiiU Party

3DS:
OP
P&DZ
Miku
AoT
LoZ ALBW

3DS and PS3 are rocking, meanwhile Vita and WiiU lineups looks sparse. Easy to differentiate the healthy platforms.

Spiegel

Code:
System    -  Vita 2013    - PS3 2008

YTD        -    773.802  -   695,216        
Full year  -   ?         -   980,797

With 11? weeks left Vita should clear a million. It won't get past the PS3 LTD sales, though.

*PSP in 2006 - 1,849,173

L~A

Yeah just given the seasonality and amount of things coming out that are of at least some note, I would expect it to not completely collapse until at least January.

But didn't the Vita sales actually drop last year, during Christmas? Then again, the line-up is much better this year (at least, there's GE2).

B.O.O.M

Cheers

Notable releases:

Vita:
God Eater 2
FFX HD

PS3:
GT6
FFX HD
FF13 LR
Shin Gundam Musou
Super Robot Wars

WiiU:
SM3D World
WiiU Party

3DS:
OP
P&DZ
Miku
AoT
LoZ ALBW

3DS and PS3 are rocking, meanwhile Vita and WiiU lineups looks sparse. Easy to differentiate the healthy platforms.

I believe your list is missing Gundam Breaker, Akiba'strip 2, Samurai Warriors 2, Neptunia etc for Vita. Dunno if you consider them major or not but it's a solid line up. Oh yea Tearaway is coming too but I doubt it will do good numbers

Ty4on

Vita sales will drop like a fucking rock next week. They'll be back to consistent sub 20k numbers the week following.
The price drop made it sell a pretty consistent 20k per week. With the Final Fantasy remakes it could do pretty well.

If 60k surprised you I actually found them to be kind of low. Every color sold way better than the Vita 1000 on Amazon. Before opening this thread I hoped it would be around 100k and would be very disappointed if it was 20k. With 60k, like almost everything with the Vita, we have to wait and see. CoachKevin predicted it could be over 100k just after he had gotten his two Vita 2000s.
Yeah. I think one week close to 100,000 would be fantastic. Of course it doesn't help that Pokemon comes out this week too.

Kid Ying

Actually, the biggest Wiiu release outside of Mario is Taiko no tatsujin.

Party U and Mario and Sonic is a wait and see. They both can sell a lot or really underperform. Taiko and Mario will sell well for sure (although one can say they won't sell as well as their last games, but they will sell well).

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
he could just be referring to how the wii u performed this week in japan, this is the media create thread after all, yeah he gets npd numbers but why would he get them early

You could be right, but I'm pessimistic. At least that way, I might feel better if it beats my expectations.

AmanoBuff

I realize I should be happy to see the Vita doing way better numbers this week than I predicted, but I'm not. It would be like being happy to see Wii U sales get a massive boost because of a $55 Mario Party HD port. The Vita 2000 is the most pointless revision I've ever seen. It's lazy and it's Sony cutting corners for themselves while barely even lowering the price for consumers -- it's only 51 yen cheaper than the OLED model. Yeah it has 1GB of built-in memory, but a 4GB memory card is 950 yen on Amazon and 1,320 at Yodobashi.

Plus it looks like the Yinlips to me.

Besides the LCD screen, I don't think they cut any corners with the new Vita. Everything about it is quite great in fact. Lighter, thinner, micro USB charging instead of a proprietary cable and more colors.

The 1GB on board memory is more than enough for any casual user though. There is also the fact that, once you buy and insert a new memory card on the new Vita, that 1GB memory becomes inactive due to fragmentation issues. So I think 1GB is the perfect size: More than enough for casuals and core gamers would not miss loosing 1GB when using a memory card.

Nibel

Careful with your Vita predictions, I remember it held pretty well after the price cut. Plus, it's almost the holiday season.

For the 3DS list, add Attack Of The Titan, Miku and some others.

I really want to see how the Attack On Titan game performs

Mory Dunz

The Wii U numbers aren't really that surprising considering the previous weeks and the upcoming bundle...

Maybe people are reacting to it because of the contrast with the Vita numbers this week.

Turok_TTZ

New Vita model released on the same day.

I disagree.
05./00. [PSV] Dangan-Ronpa 1-2: Reload <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) {2013.10.10} (¥5.229) - 76.172 / NEW
I believe this game has more influence on the vita bump than the new model. if the new model had any influence, the numbers would be significantly higher. Games sell hardware, not hardware revisions or colours.

Shinriji

Vita games release date in 2013

10/17 - Fifa 14
10/24 - Pawapuro Baseball 2013, Samurai Warriors 2 + Extreme Legends HD, Samurai Warriors 2 Empires HD
10/31 - Gundam Breaker, Neptunia Rebirth
11/7 - Akiba's Trip 2, Extetra
11/14 - God Eater 2
11/21 - Shin Atelier Rorona
11/28 - Dynasty Warriors 8 Extreme Legends, Criminal Girls Invitation
12/5 - Tearaway, Batman Blackgate
12/19 - Shin Gundam Musou, Madoka Magika Battle Pentagram
12/26 - Final Fantasy X HD, Final Fantasy X-2 HD

Not too shabby.

Daingurse

| PSV | 60.166 |

applause-gif-tumblr-47_original.gif

Good shit for the Vita, lol at dat Wii-U.

Oemenia

Banned
Hopefully by then it's gained enough momentum, the sales for the past weeks have been terrible.

What other big releases are there for Japan besides GE2?

Afrit

I disagree.
05./00. [PSV] Dangan-Ronpa 1-2: Reload <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) {2013.10.10} (¥5.229) - 76.172 / NEW
I believe this game has more influence on the vita bump than the new model. if the new model had any influence, the numbers would be significantly higher. Games sell hardware, not hardware revisions or colours.

well, a couple of weeks ago..
02./00. [PSV] The Legend Of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2013.09.26} (¥7.140) - 81.622 / NEW <77,33%>

It was a new game unlike Dangan-Ronpa 1-2 which is a remake, but vita only got a tiny bump.
| PSV | 6.031 | 5.155 |

It's the hardware and colours, definitely.

10/17 - Fifa 14
10/24 - Pawapuro Baseball 2013, Samurai Warriors 2 + Extreme Legends HD, Samurai Warriors 2 Empires HD
10/31 - Neptunia Rebirth
11/14 - God Eater 2

Not too shabby.

This doesn't look too bad.

Ty4on

I disagree.

No. It should then have sold 70k two weeks ago.
Some people here do not seem to see the appeal of the 2000 model in Japan, and thus do not think it will help Vita sales, but the current sales seem to show that the new 2000 model is clearly more appealing to the Japanese market, since, at present, consumers can choose to buy a 1000 or 2000 for the same price. Looking at amazon.co.jp rankings today, 5 of the 6 new 2000 Vita models are in the top 100, currently the highest being at #41 (Light blue/white), the lowest at #127 (Khaki/black). None of the OG models are anywhere close. The Black OG 3G/Wifi model, which is in stock and is essentially the same price as the new 2000 models (~19,000 yen), is closest at #241. I think this shows most Japanese don't care about the OLED (or 3G) anymore, they want the new, more colourful, lighter, thinner, more comfortable Vita, and the sales are reflecting that. Otherwise, the OG 3G unit would be above the rest in sales.

Hardware sells hardware too. Especially when it has space for saves, better battery life and looks and feels nicer. Lot's of people also waited for this model which in retrospect was quite obvious with the sub 5k sales when it had been doing 20k sales for quite some time. The DS Lite is a great example that made a massive difference for DS sales with a screen you could actually see and a much better looking console.

Well that is because for some reason people are overly negative when it comes to Vita sales. Really, 10-15k predictions with new colors and a new model? While Vita has done pretty abysmally it's not Xbox 360 either.

No, many people in here think Vita is dead which is ridiculous. It is a niche product certainly, but it can move decent software so it isn't going away.

People really seem to forget how Vita has been working the past year and a half if they really think that there is going to be some huge sustainable bump for the rest of the year.
People also seem to be forgetting God Eater 2 has a PSP version and and while it likely won't outsell the Vita version will take a large chunk of potential sales.

Kenka

I personally love Danganrompa but I don't know how popular the franchise is in Japan. I do think though that the game was anticipated and helped Vita climb up. A Vita split would be nice.

Mario007

People really seem to forget how Vita has been working the past year and a half if they really think that there is going to be some huge sustainable bump for the rest of the year.
People also seem to be forgetting God Eater 2 has a PSP version and while it likely won't outsell the Vita version will take a large chunk of potential sales.
After the price-cut Vita was sustained to be above 12k till Setpember, with most weeks being above 15-20k, which I think is the range people probably see Vita doing now too.

After all, after the price cut we had a few months of 'just you wait guys, it's gonna drop next week for sure'.

Oemenia

Banned
People also seem to be forgetting God Eater 2 has a PSP version and while it likely won't outsell the Vita version will take a large chunk of potential sales.
I doubt Sony are going to let such a successful IP be just another port for their struggling system.

Vita software sales are pretty good and its only going to get better, who knows a big hit like GE2 could really set things off.

After the price-cut Vita was sustained to be above 12k till Setpember, with most weeks being above 15-20k, which I think is the range people probably see Vita doing now too.

After all, after the price cut we had a few months of 'just you wait guys, it's gonna drop next week for sure'.

Well I can agree it's likely to at least stay over 12k for the remainder of the year.
I doubt Sony are going to let such a successful IP be just another port for their struggling system.

Vita software sales are pretty good and its only going to get better, who knows a big hit like GE2 could really set things off.

How much of a big hit are we talking here? Even if there is a 60/40 split towards Vita the ceiling we're looking at is what? 300-400k being generous?

10/17 - Fifa 14
10/31 - Neptunia Rebirth
11/14 - God Eater 2

Not too shabby.

Thats lineup ain't that bad. Probably give it the edge over the WiiU's due to the amount of releases week after week which is what consoles need.

Top Bottom