• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 48, 2014 (Nov 24 - Nov 30)

Unless western sales were so good they were able to compensate for the poor JP sales.

Would that make a huge amount of impact though? Spike Chunsoft don't localize their games themselves. I presume Aksys doesn't pay a particularly large fee for the localization rights.

arue

Some interesting info from Dengeki Playstation 20th Anniversary interviews and early Famitsu stuff:

Atlus: Have a new title that has not been announced yet.

Spike-Chunsoft: Lots of titles to be announced next year and the year after

I wonder what that Atlus game will be. I hope for Radiant Historia 2, but a person can dream right?

About that Uchikoshi comment, I don't think it's ZE3 to be honest.

Uchikoshi already said he was working on another project and the success of that project could potentially convince his superior to greenlight ZE3. Unless western sales were so good they were able to compensate for the poor JP sales.

Besides, I doubt he's involved with "many projects", he's probably talking about SC itself.
I completely forgot about this. Whatever this new game is, I look forward it.

L~A

I wonder what that Atlus game will be. I hope for Radiant Historia 2, but a person can dream right?

I completely forgot about this. Whatever this new game is, I look forward it.

No idea what it is, but it's clear he's been working on several things since VLR. He's writing the script for an anime to be broadcast this april (and before you ask: no, it's not like 999/VLR or E17... at all).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Since I know you all love nothing more than debating Dragon Quest: http://gematsu.com/2014/12/dragon-quest-creator-return-playstation

On being “Welcomed Back” to PlayStation by the internet:

“I was really surprised by that. People were under the impression that I hated Sony Computer Entertainment or something, but that isn’t the case at all. Like any good developer, as a staff, we just choose the right hardware for the vision that we want to accomplish and make the most of it. That’s all there is to it.”

On how PlayStation platforms were best for Dragon Quest Heroes:

“There were requests to go that route from Koei Tecmo, sure, but PlayStation 4 is also just really good at processing things at a speedy clip and making it all look pretty.”

On what he feels is the most groundbreaking console ever:

“I feel that with the PS2, we were finally able to really realize the dream of being able to run around in fully polygonal worlds wherever people liked.”

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Final Fantasy: Record Keeper has shot back up to its old rankings again. You could say it's... keeping its records. 8)

recordkeepercwuio.png

Given it never dipped too terribly and has been out for a while now, it looks like this one could have good legs.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Tsutaya's Report

Super Smash Bros for Wii U was the best selling game of the week as it was expected.
Wii U hardware sales increased x2,5 compared to last week.
Guilty Gear Xrd for PS3 faced stock problems.

Since a specific prediction happened some months ago it was inevitable Smash would give Wii U just a modest bump.

Takao

Banned
Who buys games week 1? Big fans. Smash Bros. is series built on Nintendo fanservice. Wouldn't Nintendo fans already own a Wii U at this stage? Couple that with the 3DS version releasing prior, and you've got a recipe for a comparatively tepid reception.

apparently even when the Wii U is up YoY in the rest of the world, Japan does not give a fuck and just continues going down lol

zeromcd73

Found all of the interviews online. Will be updating the other thread soon, but felt this should be here:

Nippon Ichi Software (Shinkawa Sohei): If Disgaea 5 doesn't sell as planned then we might not still be in business the year after. Even though Bloodborne is now releasing the same day, we really hope people will pick up both titles at once.

I believe NIS wrote earlier this year that they were expecting 150k for the title. RIP.

Takao

Banned
Found all of the interviews online. Will be updating the other thread soon, but felt this should be here:

I believe NIS wrote earlier this year that they were expecting 150k for the title. RIP.

They've already said a Vita port is out of the question too. Eek.

Well that's depressing. Makes sense considering all their other games are selling god awful.

Saying no Vita port makes sense since most people usually assume a port will come in the future. Wonder if this means there won't be a Vita port of Disgaea D2 now too.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You can make a separate thread for Nippon Ichi if you like given they just announced they're going to go out of business.

zeromcd73

Oh, did you get juniored?

I don't actually have the ability to edit user account settings so I'll just go split that for you and update the other title as well to indicate you added new things.

I thought I could, but Duckroll said I can't make theads until Dragon Quest Heroes is released

Vena

Is there a reason they made Disgaea 5 platform exclusive? Or why not put it on the 3DS or PS4/WiiU? Seem the latter would have at least given them two markets, and the WiiU can use all the games it can get.

Takao

Banned
Is there a reason they made Disgaea 5 platform exclusive? Or why not put it on the 3DS or PS4/WiiU? Seem the latter would have at least given them two markets, and the WiiU can use all the games it can get.

If Disgaea 5 can't run on Vita it has -5000% chance of running on 3DS. Releasing it as a PS4/Wii U game would only hasten their death.

Vena

If Disgaea 5 can't run on Vita it has -5000% chance of running on 3DS. Releasing it as a PS4/Wii U game would only hasten their death.

Wasn't a Disgaea game on the DS though? I didn't mean for them to release D5 as has been developed, but instead make one for the 3DS rather than D5. (Was D5 on the PS3? Maybe I am forgetting.)

Takao

Banned
Wasn't a Disgaea game on the DS though? I didn't mean for them to release D5 as has been developed, but instead make one for the 3DS rather than D5. (Was D5 on the PS3? Maybe I am forgetting.)

The first Disgaea was a PS2 game. It got ported to PSP and DS. The latter didn't sell very well (in part due to technical issues IIRC) so no subsequent entries were ported to Nintendo handhelds. Disgaea 5 is a PS4 game built from the ground up. Some of the production staff for Disgaea 5 have said that a Vita port isn't possible and that it would have to be for its successor (lol).

NIS has a money problem, I think it might be a little late to think about branching the series out with exclusive spinoffs.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Theatrhythm: Dragon Quest was announced for 3DS.

I see Theatrhythm: Kingdom Hearts as a possibility, but am not sure there are too many other titles that can actually carry their own game, but by the time they get through two games for each they could pretty logically cycle around again if they wanted to continue going and the titles were still selling.

Vena

The first Disgaea was a PS2 game. It got ported to PSP and DS. The latter didn't sell very well (in part due to technical issues IIRC) so no subsequent entries were ported to Nintendo handhelds. Disgaea 5 is a PS4 game built from the ground up. Some of the production staff for Disgaea 5 have said that a Vita port isn't possible and that it would have to be for its successor (lol).

NIS has a money problem, I think it might be a little late to think about branching the series out with exclusive spinoffs.

I suppose the whole financial issues probably started after the game had been well into production as PS4 exclusive then?

And thanks for the info on the title's history!

Takao

Banned
I suppose the whole financial issues probably started after the game had been well into production as PS4 exclusive then?

And thanks for the info on the title's history!

Unfortunately, NIS has had money problems for years. Rumours (that seem to be true) swirled last year that they lost a bunch of talent due to an inability to pay them.

Vena

Unfortunately, NIS has had money problems for years. Rumours (that seem to be true) swirled last year that they lost a bunch of talent due to an inability to pay them.

Ahh then the move to make a console exclusive like this seems very bizarre to me. I mean, I could understand console exclusive to the PS3 or 3DS with much larger, active markets but the PS4 only seems odd to me.

Takao

Banned
Ahh then the move to make a console exclusive like this seems very bizarre to me. I mean, I could understand console exclusive to the PS3 or 3DS with much larger, active markets but the PS4 only seems odd to me.

I imagine userbase decay scared them away from making D5 on PS3. While budgets would obviously be smaller (and a port to Vita realistic), sales might be significantly reduced. Disgaea D2 sold worse than any other Disgaea on PS3 (though that's not a surprise) and Guided Fate 2 flopped:

PS3 : Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice ( Nippon Ichi Software ) { 2008-01-31 } - 56,441 / 93,227
PS3 : Disgaea 3: Append Disc - Raspberyl-hen Hajime Mashita ( Nippon Ichi Software ) { 2009-09-17 } - 4,600 / 17,432
PS3 : Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice [PlayStation 3 the Best] ( Nippon Ichi Software ) { 2009-01-15 } - 1,100 / 17,545
PS3 : Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten ( Nippon Ichi Software ) { 2011-02-24 } - 77,449 / 129,031
PS3 : Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten - Fuka & Desco Hen Hajimemashita ( Nippon Ichi Software ) { 2011-10-27 } - 18,610 / 41,686
PS3 : Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness ( Nippon Ichi Software ) { 2013-03-20 } - 53,814 / 75,734

PS3 : The Guided Fate Paradox ( Nippon Ichi Software ) { 2013-01-24 } - 24,903 / 40,054
PS3 : The Awakened Fate: Ultimatum ( Nippon Ichi Software ) { 2014-09-25 } - 6,443 / 6,443

sörine

Banned
The first Disgaea was a PS2 game. It got ported to PSP and DS. The latter didn't sell very well (in part due to technical issues IIRC) so no subsequent entries were ported to Nintendo handhelds.
Releasing 2 years after the PSP version probably didn't help it either. By the time Disgaea DS launched the series was already on part 3.

hiska-kun

Square:

Dragon Quest Heroes - Spring release
Bravely Second - Winter release

True release dates:

Dragon Quest Heroes - 26th February
Bravely Second - 23rd April

I got it now

random25

YW2 reaching 3M before the year's end, not including the third version...right within my prediction (too easy lol).

Level-5 probably swimming in cash right now.

duckroll

YW2 reaching 3M before the year's end, not including the third version...right within my prediction (too easy lol).

Level-5 probably swimming in cash right now.

Level-5 has only been selling 3 products this year - Inazuma Eleven Go Galaxy, Yokai Watch, and Yokai Watch 2. With the new version of YW2 coming out, that'll be 4 titles.

So far, with just 3 titles they've sold almost 4 million units, that's about 13% of the entire market for 2014. They're about to add one more in the last month, probably bringing it over 5 million by the end of the year. That's pretty crazy.

L~A

Guys, guys, guys ! I've managed to hack into the security system of Akihiro Hino's mansion.

Here's some stolen footage from the security camera:

*cough*

Anyway, did Youkai Watch 2 reach 1m pre-order before launch? I can't remember.

Fake edit: 817k according to Media Create. Well damn...

random25

Level-5 has only been selling 3 products this year - Inazuma Eleven Go Galaxy, Yokai Watch, and Yokai Watch 2. With the new version of YW2 coming out, that'll be 4 titles.

So far, with just 3 titles they've sold almost 4 million units, that's about 13% of the entire market for 2014. They're about to add one more in the last month, probably bringing it over 5 million by the end of the year. That's pretty crazy.

Not including their earnings due to licensing their YW franchise in different products, which have spread like everywhere in Japan from the looks of it...crazy indeed.

Yeah, crazy. How YW took off is extremely interesting.

I'm expecting L5 to launch some new games next year; on 3DS they might try Ushiro revival, some Fantasy Life game (Modern Life?), some Layton thing, and maybe a new IP for kids. Then a PS4 game?

Yokai Watch 2.5 has over a million pre-orders: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201412/10067567.html

Yokai Watch 2 is over 3 million units.

YW2 was able to reach the 3m mark before the end of the year; it's shipment but they won't have problems in selling around 150k to go there.

Yeah, crazy. How YW took off is extremely interesting.

I'm expecting L5 to launch some new games next year; on 3DS they might try Ushiro revival, some Fantasy Life game (Modern Life?), some Layton thing, and maybe a new IP for kids. Then a PS4 game?

YW2 was able to reach the 3m mark before the end of the year; it's shipment but they won't have problems in selling around 150k to go there.

I found the main character:

iH6sEeQGJbYuT.jpg

;)

I do hope we finally see Ushiro on 3DS, feels way overdue. But we need to also consider what they'll make for 4DS since I think that could be relatively soon, maybe even as early as end of next year, well, I hope so anyway.

Some interesting info from Dengeki Playstation 20th Anniversary interviews and early Famitsu stuff:

Square Enix: Currently preparing a new Saga title. Special info coming soon!

Koei: Currently progressing well in development for new things related to Kagerou: Dark Illusion (called Trapt in the West?)

Capcom (Sengoku Basara director): Lots of special things happening in 2015 for Sengoku Basara's 10th Anniversaray. Look forward to it!

Falcom: New game announcement coming soon

Atlus: Have a new title that has not been announced yet.

Spike-Chunsoft: Lots of titles to be announced next year and the year after

SCEJ (Gravity Daze Director): Working very hard on the title!

It also looks like MGSV will be Playstation exclusive in Japan. PS platforms getting all dem games.

What....did SE just confirm a new SaGa game. No thread? If its next gen.......oh my
Deception V?
A new Falcom game.......a new IP?
9/10 Atlus' game is for the PS4. I'm hyped.
I think by this point we all know GR2 will be on PS4

Aww shit that Fumito Ueda comment. Not touching this one, no doubt a thread will pop up soon.

Give me the link....I want to make a thread :)

Who's the bigger troll now? Nirolak or duckroll?! :p

Square Enix

duckroll

I think if Level-5 has stuff next year they are prepared to actually release, they would not have skipped a Level-5 Vision event this year. Especially when it would have drawn a huge crowd with the Yokai Watch fanbase. Not having an event seems to suggest that they're actually not prepared to announce anything, which means next year they'll announce stuff which will be coming out in the next 1-2 years. Except Yokai Watch 3. Lol.

I think if Level-5 has stuff next year they are prepared to actually release, they would not have skipped a Level-5 Vision event this year. Especially when it would have drawn a huge crowd with the Yokai Watch fanbase. Not having an event seems to suggest that they're actually not prepared to announce anything, which means next year they'll announce stuff which will be coming out in the next 1-2 years. Except Yokai Watch 3. Lol.

They have a PS4 game in the works, but are not announcing until E3, correct? Or did I get them confused with Cyber 2 Connect? (I am fairly new to Media Create, so I apologize if this is common knowledge)

We know they have a PS4 game to be unveiled at E3.

L~A

We know they have a PS4 game to be unveiled at E3.

Yes, and it's highly unlikely to come out next year, which fits his "which means next year they'll announce stuff which will be coming out in the next 1-2 years" comment.

Honestly, surprised we haven't heard anything about all their other projects. And even though I was as confused by the Layton 7 demo as Hino himself was, I'm still looking forward to that one.

Top Bottom