• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Pandacon

Well, for a while I've been pecking at this game.

I'm currently on the level past Monsoon, on a freight elevator, getting stomped on by those guerrilla guys.

I feel like every step of this game is a frustrating attack on my patience. I find the camera frustrating, I find the parrying frustrating, I find getting surrounded while trying to parry/dodge/attack/jump/anything frustrating.

I hate to bitch about a game like this, much less a platinum game, since I have been a fan of theirs, but this game just feels sloppy. I loved Bayonetta and Anarchy Reigns, but this game is something completely different.

Perhaps I'm just missing something with the combat. I'm going to keep pushing through, as a gamer I can't be satisfied by quitting, but it's disheartening when it feels like you just can't grasp something that others don't have much issue with.

Sorry for the vent.

Alx

If you weren't doing it already, you know you can line up the slice with the right stick, so that it hits all the squares and then tap the "X" or "Square" button to perform the slash, right? I think this made all of them pretty easy aside from the final boss.

Yes of course, I don't think there's another way to do the required diagonal slices of the last fight... but aligning the (barely visible) "cutting shadow" with an analog stick is far from intuitive. In the end I only managed to pass it after several tries, because the sequence never changes (1. turn it NE-SW, 2. turn it NW-SE and raise it a little, 3. lower it, don't turn, 4. just try to hit that thing), but if it was randomly defined, I wouldn't be able to do it.

That and for the final boss you can just run to the side and avoid the QTE altogether.

Thanks, I think I'll rather try that. :D I did try to flee once or twice, but since I failed I thought it just wasn't possible.

Alx

I feel like every step of this game is a frustrating attack on my patience. I find the camera frustrating, I find the parrying frustrating, I find getting surrounded while trying to parry/dodge/attack/jump/anything frustrating.

Are you using the lock on feature (right shoulder button) ? I did have some problems with the camera, until I realized I should use that (for my defense, the auto-camera for Bayonetta was fine, I almost never used the lock-on in that game). It helps a lot to keep an eye on the action.
Swarming enemies bother me in the Virtual Missions, but in open chapters it's usually quite easy to ninja-run away. What is annoying though is the occasional rocket spamming (when there is more than one RPG-equipped soldier, they may pummel you one after the other, not giving you time to recover).

Everything else is rather good in my opinion. Running/jumping is fine when you let he ninja-run do most of the work, and the parrying is really satisfying (certainly the best part of the game).

BadWolf

I'm currently on the level past Monsoon, on a freight elevator, getting stomped on by those guerrilla guys.

I hate to bitch about a game like this, much less a platinum game, since I have been a fan of theirs, but this game just feels sloppy. I loved Bayonetta and Anarchy Reigns, but this game is something completely different.

Perhaps I'm just missing something with the combat. I'm going to keep pushing through, as a gamer I can't be satisfied by quitting, but it's disheartening when it feels like you just can't grasp something that others don't have much issue with.

Sorry for the vent.

Are you using ripper mode? You get access to it after you fight monsoon. Almost all enemies go down in seconds during this, even the gorilla guys, raptors etc.

Feel free to use it when you are in a tough spot.

Also try out Monsoon's Sai weapon which you can buy after fighting him, you can stun pretty much any enemy with it. And give the polearm a try if you haven't already, its great at crowd control.

Thanks, I think I'll rather try that. :D I did try to flee once or twice, but since I failed I thought it just wasn't possible.

Yeah, just wait a split second as he is about to throw the debris at you and then ninja run to the right. This pretty much never fails for me.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Sorry for the vent.

A key aspect of the combat is knowing when and when not to lock-on. The camera in the game can get bad, there's no way around it, but usually it's manageable in open spaces (the VR missions are where the camera's problems are most evident).

Are you reliably parrying? Parry+Offensive Defense are really important in this game, and unless you have that stuff down pat the game can be frustrating.

Yeah, just wait a split second as he is about to throw the debris at you and then ninja run to the right. This pretty much never fails for me.

If you run directly under him, the debris will miss every time. You don't even have to time it. I used to do it the way that you do, but found that running immediately towards him is just as effective and lets me get a few more hits in when he lands.

BadWolf

Pandacon, I've mentioned it before but do look into the triangle, triangle air move for the polearm, the resulting dive bomb attack does excellent damage and stun. Great for spamming in a crowd of enemies (most will get knocked down over and over, others including bosses will usually stagger).

If you run directly under him, the debris will miss every time. You don't even have to time it. I used to do it the way that you do, but found that running immediately towards him is just as effective and lets me get a few more hits in when he lands.

Ah, thanks man, will do next time.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Not that good at games but none the less I 1000g'd Bayonetta and became a Lightning God in Rising. Man Rising...it might be my favorite stylish action game of all time haha. I will so double dip on the Steam (hopefully) version. I do hope they eventually announce Mistral DLC in the future but that's a pipe dream probably...

Pandacon

I do use lock-on, but sometimes that messes me up more than helping, kinda a trial and error process for me.

As far as the Sai's and Polearm, I actually haven't tried them yet. I was thinking I should try them, so I'll give that a shot later today.

And with the Ripper mode, my last attempt today I was trying to save it, but just fighting the Hammer guy and the flying guys with the missiles before even getting to the guerrilla guy, ugh.

Like I said, I'll keep pushing through, I'm hoping this game clicks for me, but this really changes my perception on Platinum Games...

As far as parrying goes, it's kinda hit or miss for me. From the beginning I've been trying to nail it down, but for some enemies it's just a pain to do. I've moved into just running in and slashing since if I keep missing with parries I just end up dying. Not to mention when the enemies do the red thing for parries I'm usually stuck in an attack/run animation to move to parry them, not to mention half the time when an enemy is behind me and outside the camera to see the hit coming.

Man, I hate bitching so much, but damn, this game...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I do use lock-on, but sometimes that messes me up more than helping, kinda a trial and error process for me.

As far as the Sai's and Polearm, I actually haven't tried them yet. I was thinking I should try them, so I'll give that a shot later today.

And with the Ripper mode, my last attempt today I was trying to save it, but just fighting the Hammer guy and the flying guys with the missiles before even getting to the guerrilla guy, ugh.

Like I said, I'll keep pushing through, I'm hoping this game clicks for me, but this really changes my perception on Platinum Games...

What difficulty are you playing on?

Against the Hammer guys, Offensive Defense is a blessing. Their attacks are so slow, that you can just run a train on them and dodge whenever they swing. With the flying guys in particular, use your "killerbee" divekick to get up to them and then just BladeMode them. The Mastiffs can be perfect parried and killed instantly, particuarly their dropkick.

Where are you getting hit? Are you reliably parrying? That really makes or breaks the game. The parry is central to the combat.

BadWolf

Remember that you are supposed to let the stick go and return to neutral after you input a direction for parry/block, even if you can't perfect parry then at least block. There is a huge window of activation for blocking.

You can parry pretty much out of any animation iirc, you aren't stuck in them. You can even parry duringing the offensive defensive dodge and while dizzy.

There is no reason to save it, just let it rip (lol).

Its easy to refill the fuel bar by hitting enemies and doing zandatsu (which also completely restores your health).

You can also deactivate ripper mode to save bar if you don't need it anymore, same input as activating.

Pandacon

I have never been able to perfect parry the Mastiffs, who have been a major problem for me since they showed up in the game. Fighting the hammer guy isn't too bad but getting missiles to the back are quite distracting, and when trying to deal with the flying guy, getting whacked with a hammer as I land is equally distracting. I'll just have to try some different stuff as well as what you guys are suggesting.

I just don't think I'm clicking very well with this game, though I have never been good with parrying in any game, which seems to be a staple with this game.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I have never been able to perfect parry the Mastiffs, who have been a major problem for me since they showed up in the game. Fighting the hammer guy isn't too bad but getting missiles to the back are quite distracting, and when trying to deal with the flying guy, getting whacked with a hammer as I land is equally distracting. I'll just have to try some different stuff as well as what you guys are suggesting.

I just don't think I'm clicking very well with this game, though I have never been good with parrying in any game, which seems to be a staple with this game.

Parrying is required. You can mash your way through Normal, but it won't be pretty.

You need to look for your moments. The flying guys can get taken out in a single Zandatsu hit. Ninja run around, find an opening, stay away from the Hammer guys and methodically take out all of the flyers first. Divekick into them, enter Blade Mode, and perform Zandatsus. Be aware of where the Hammer guy is while you're doing this, and perform a dodge/parry when you land if you need to.

The parry in this game IS the block. It's very generous, and you just need to think to yourself, if they're about to attack, press towards + Light Attack. And you need to press towards+Light Attack for each successive hit of a combo.

You should try practicing parries against a Mastiff. There are a lot in some of the VR missions. You have to dodge their throws with Offensive Defense (when they glow orange), and you can Perfect Parry their dropkicks and when they jump off a wall at you.

Perfect Parries are done when you parry right when you're about to get hit, however always parry earlier rather than later when you're trying to figure out the timing. That way, if you mess up the timing, at least you'll get a regular block.

BadWolf

Just don't stress yourself out over it, find what works and stick with it for now. You don't have to master everything on your first run.

On my first run I didn't get parrying and dodging well, only really bothered with it at the very end. Enemies like Mastiffs, hammer guys, raptors etc. I all took out by spamming the polearm dive attack.

Also look into using stun and smoke grenades, they really help. And whenever possible try to stealth areas (the box really helps) to make things go a lot smoother and faster.

I find it really hard to parry counter. Any tips?

Incoming enemy attacks are indicated when their eyes flash orange/red. Unblockable grabs are yellow.

Blocking and parrying is done in the same motion; parrying is based on timing. If you don't have a problem blocking attacks, I'd suggest waiting a millisecond longer than usual to parry.

See if you can get practice with this in VR missions or a certain part of the story campaign where you can replay.

Just started playing the game, and I'm sure people already complained about George in here.. I can speak from experience, that is not what a Guyanese accent sounds like.

Kinda glad he's in the game though, never thought I'd see anything about Guyana in a video game.

GutsOfThor

I find it really hard to parry counter. Any tips?

Same here. Can't even get passed the first boss. Really thinking about trading the game. I react to the parrying cues 2 seconds too late since my reaction times are shit. Guess I'm getting too old to be playing these types of games. :(

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Recently finished both DLC chapters and just started my Very Hard run.

Impressions:
- Sam's finishing pose after yoinking a spine is too cool. Crushing it over his head and cracking that smile with a little shake of his head - he's lovin' it!
- Wolf was a nice switch up in terms of how it plays, but seeing his backstory made me a bit sad.
- Cyborg Ninja outfit is just... unbelievably boss.
- Upgraded Fox Blade is ridonkulous. Going through baddies like shit off a hot shovel.
What does the final special upgrade do?
- Already looking forward to my Revengeance run (suit Raiden with Soul of Snake wooden sword).

PG, you are awesome. Keep doing stuff like this as long as you can!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Same here. Can't even get passed the first boss. Really thinking about trading the game. I react to the parrying cues 2 seconds too late since my reaction times are shit. Guess I'm getting too old to be playing these types of games. :(

You could always play it on easy.... the parry window is pretty huge. It just takes a little practice to get used to it. Don't get frustrated by getting hit while you're getting used to it. Remember that you can also purchase a dodge, and use that if you think that's easier.

The only advice I can give is that be sure to tap forward + light attack at the same time, and you have to press towards + light attack for each strike in an enemy's attack. If they have a three hit combo, you'll have to tap towards + light attack three times. It's better to perform the parry earlier rather than later, because then you'll just do a "block" and take no damage. If you do it too late, you'll just get hit.

Also, the parry time window is more generous on the lower difficulties.

Are you able to parry other enemies but having trouble with the boss, or everyone?

All I can suggest other than what I wrote earlier is adjust your timing than what you're used to. And with Bladewolf, are you trying to parry the move where he grabs you too? I don't think that can be parried at all, just avoided.

GutsOfThor

Ok just finished chapter 1 and I think I'm getting the hang of parrying. Performing the parrying sooner than later really does help. I'm glad I didn't let frustration get the best of me because this game is a blast! The boss battles are amazing especially with the dynamic music!

Thanks for the tips guys!

Pachimari

Seriously I'm having a hard time with this game. I'm one hour in and I'm having so much trouble with Blade Wolf - in fact I don't have much of an idea as to how I took out 2 Geckos instantly. Any tips guys? Can I block/parry Blade Wolf? I know how to parry soldiers.

This is turning more into frustration than enjoyment at the time of writing. :(

But up until now it's a fun game.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Seriously I'm having a hard time with this game. I'm one hour in and I'm having so much trouble with Blade Wolf - in fact I don't have much of an idea as to how I took out 2 Geckos instantly. Any tips guys? Can I block/parry Blade Wolf? I know how to parry soldiers.

Look at the few posts on this page regarding parry timing. There are two parries. If you parry early, you'll get a regular block. If you parry with just timing (just as the attack is about to land on Raiden), you'll perform a perfect parry and Raiden will automatically perform a counter.

You can parry every single attack by BladeWolf except for his grabbing lunge, where he glows orange. You have to either run out of the way or use your dodge mechanic called Offensive Defense (purchased for a paltry 5000 points).

BadWolf

The sliding attack you get by Ninja Running and then hitting triangle is really effective against Blade Wolf. Does some nice stun which lets you get quite a few hits in.

The easiest way to take out a Gekko is to stay away and wait for it to run at you and then parry or in the alternative you can run around it and wait for it to stomp the ground (at which point you can run up and activate a finisher QTE while it is trying to get its leg out of the ground).

Pachimari

Thanks for the advises but I'm still getting raped hard by this wolf. Hate it when I'm lying on the ground and he cuts that chainsaw into my chest.

I also can't upgrade my character yet (?).

I can block his light attacks but I can't seem to counter.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Thanks for the advises but I'm still getting raped hard by this wolf. Hate it when I'm lying on the ground and he cuts that chainsaw into my chest.

I also can't upgrade my character yet (?).

I can block his light attacks but I can't seem to counter.

You definitely can upgrade your character. Go into your codec and choose to upgrade.

The entire boss fight is basically one big parry tutorial. The move where you're lying on the ground? You can't block that. Like I said before, you MUST dodge it or run from it. However, after successfully dodging it, you can run up and slash him.

If you're not countering after blocking an attack, then you're not timing it properly. That's okay! Don't fret. You don't need to get perfect parries on BladeWolf to beat him. Just block his combos, then use regular attacks on him. You can cancel almost any normal move with your parry, in case he starts attacking again.

Also, make sure you have Repair Nanopastes equipped in your submenu (use the d-pad). There are also nanopastes in boxes around the fight area with BladeWolf.

Pachimari

(Have just paused the game) as I have him down to 19% on health but this Gekko is gonna make my life miserable. How were I going to do a finisher move on it? It stomps on the ground and then what do I do? =/

EDIT:
I DID IT!!! :D

And now having trouble with the helicopter right away - oh well, here's to figuring that one out.

Isn't there a list where it says how I can do the different attacks? A combo list of sorts?

McNum

You can parry every single attack by BladeWolf except for his grabbing lunge, where he glows orange. You have to either run out of the way or use your dodge mechanic called Offensive Defense (purchased for a paltry 5000 points).
You can parry that, too. You just have to parry much earlier than you'd think. Blade Wolf jumps three times, the does a short windup. This is when you parry. If you try to parry on reaction as it jumps, you're already chainsaw'd.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
^ Congrats, but it's only gonna get tougher from here. The parry mechanic is essential to the game's combat, so just keep practicing. Once it clicks, everything will run a lot smoother. The window for blocking enemy attacks is fairly generous, so don't stress about being perfect with your timing. My advise would just be to focus on consistently executing the normal block for now. Perfectly timed last second counterattacks will naturally come later.

For the moves list : Start Menu -> HELP

The entire boss fight is basically one big parry tutorial. The move where you're lying on the ground? You can't block that. Like I said before, you MUST dodge it or run from it. However, after successfully dodging it, you can run up and slash him.
I believe you can parry that attack as well. You just gotta time it a split second earlier than his other attacks.

Pachimari

I love the parrying and I just beat Mistral. It's an absolutely terrific game so far! I haven't even played Bayonetta yet even though I have it lying around.

Just mash parry against the attack strings, he doesn't delay them or add any variation below Very Hard. When he throws the hardware watch for the order they launch in, so you don't get any surprises once the screen fills with random debris.

You can parry the giant wheel 'o pain.

solid mike

Any news if there will be a GOTY or All-DLC-Included edition?

Pic unrelated

Yl9XNEVWLWlrSlkx_o_metal-gear-solid-2-full-jfkjd-codec-conversation-part-.jpg

Pachimari

Just mash parry against the attack strings, he doesn't delay them or add any variation below Very Hard. When he throws the hardware watch for the order they launch in, so you don't get any surprises once the screen fills with random debris.

You can parry the giant wheel 'o pain.

I can't for the life of me beat him. =(

How far am I in the game anyway?

BadWolf

Are you using the EMP grenades to stun him when he enters that form where he glows purple and you can't hit him? They stun him and he breaks apart for free damage.

If you don't have them then you can get them from that QTE where he throws tanks and helicopters at you, they fall out once you cut them up.

Holy shit, I'm sad to have missed the boat which was the good times when this OT was still mad active while I lurk without an account.

I've already sunk in around 300 hours into this bad boy (and counting, but slowing down), which is pretty much already the average time it requires to be a 'competent intern' when it comes to action games like these. The last game I did this with was DMC3 back on release date, on which I have already around 1000 hours, although that was spread out across 8 years

Does anyone else notice their in-game timer getting stuck somewhere? It happened in one of the patches, and I'm a bit miffed that it won't go any higher!

He doesn't have any unparryable attacks (except for that annoying ass 1% damage the smoke grenade does), and he telegraphs everything. What exactly are you having trouble with?

You can knock him out of his purple state just by hitting him and getting lucky, but it's much easier to just toss EMP grenades that drop from the blade mode sections, and run towards him til the zandatsu character pops, and then hit his head in blade mode. You can quick-use items by just tapping the trigger and not holding it, works for rockets and grenades.

There's plenty of walkthroughs on youtube you can watch since we can't really describe all the details to you via text. The S-rank run ones probably aren't that helpful to you since they use weapons you don't have access to.

You're just about halfway on the campaign.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

You might as well get into the mindset of no-damaging him since you will be doing it again if you're going for that trophy later with weapons.

Since it's your first time, get Offensive Offset/dodge move from the store. Use that until "fear the unseen, Jack?" Smoke attack.

Parry his shit in the smoke.

Chip away at him from these. It'll take some time, but it's doable. If you get hit don't worry since you don't need to no-damage him first run so just go with it.

Once you get him down to LEFT HAND RULE just run around the outside/barrier of the map to dodge his shit. Don't Zendatsu.

Once he goes halo-y with his parts detacted, throw an EMP grenade. Zendatsu his head. Chip him once or twice and then dodge again.

Rinse and repeat until "WELCOME TO MY UTOPIA OF DEATH!"/Wheel of Misfortune.

Parry that... ... ... PARRY THAT!

(ZENDATSU!)

By this point you should have him down to the QTE level. If not, repeat dodge offset and being defensive.

My wife bought me this game yesterday - super excited, as I love Platinum and Japanese action games. Bought all the DLC on the XBL sale last week hoping I'd have the actual game soon. Anyway, how hard is Hard? Is it like Bayonetta Hard, which made me want to shoot myself in the fact? I feel like I already have an okay grip on the combat system - parrying seems pretty easy but I'm not in very far.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If you're familiar with action brawlers, hard is a good difficulty to start with. Has its spikes, but it isn't Bayonetta hard. Normal is a bit too lenient on the parries, in my opinion. Hard is a nice sweet spot of challenge, and the game making you play the way it's supposed to be played.

BadWolf

My wife bought me this game yesterday - super excited, as I love Platinum and Japanese action games. Bought all the DLC on the XBL sale last week hoping I'd have the actual game soon. Anyway, how hard is Hard? Is it like Bayonetta Hard, which made me want to shoot myself in the fact? I feel like I already have an okay grip on the combat system - parrying seems pretty easy but I'm not in very far.

I personally like to play on Normal first to enjoy the game proper without frustration.

That being said, Hard isn't too difficult in this game. If you are going to play it after finishing Normal then I would suggest you play Hard with a fresh run, new game plus would make it too easy.

Top Bottom