• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

I think Hard is a good starting point, I'd say it's a bit harder than a typical hard mode nowadays, but still roughly in line with the normal modes in games like NG or DMC3/4. Outside of one or two specific situations, the continue system is very well-implemented and should relieve a lot of frustration since you can start over in a couple of seconds. Also, Very Hard is probably the best difficulty and it was definitely designed with new game+ in mind, so it's a very smooth transition from beating Hard to starting Very Hard.

Took you guys' advice and restarted on Hard. Didn't really find it much more difficult except for certain boss attacks that killed me in one hit (first mech's laser beam). The first chapter is quite long! My biggest frustration was not being able to air parry. I even said out loud - "I'd better be able to buy an air parry sometime". Very happy to see it in the post-mission shop.

I didn't buy any of the health or damage augments and instead bought as many extra moves as I could in addition to the first boss' weapon.

I love how the vocal music kicks in on the last stage of the boss fights. Makes me feel like a hero.

^good to see a post like this

Just got all the trophies after a somewhat long hiatus. The only game I've actually wanted to platinum, including DLC trophies, that required effort.

A truly satisfying experience. Hard as fuck at times, but fair (even with the garbage camera). The only unforgivable BS was anything hinging on subweapons; Rising 2 better allow firing missiles/throwing grenades while wall-running and rockstar sliding.

Revengeance complete. now I just need to find a Cyborg Ninja DLC code

Ah this thread is alive, I recently finished the game(in a single sitting, it's quite short) and I loved it, it was SO much fun and exciting. Some friends told me the Last Boss was really hard but I defeated him easily in my first try because you got tons of health from destroying the rocks.

I loved that "offensive defensive" kill you could get in the shop, I can see how some people had trouble in the game if they didn't get that AMAZING move... which worked as a dodge.
Great game, I'll probably replay in hard. Adios Amigos.

On the last level. Super short, obviously they want you to replay it a lot. Game hasn't really challenged me yet. I'm assuming Very Hard is going to kick my ass, though, and the VR missions can be ridiculous (#18!).

So after falling in love with this game I heard of Bayonetta and bought it a month ago. I was able to beat Bayonetta easily on all difficulties and get all the achievements without trying. MGR is so much harder =\ Bayonetta is probably more fair gameplay wise which makes it easier but its setting and characters are just fucking horrible.

So after falling in love with this game I heard of Bayonetta and bought it a month ago. I was able to beat Bayonetta easily on all difficulties and get all the achievements without trying. MGR is so much harder =\ Bayonetta is probably more fair gameplay wise which makes it easier but its setting and characters are just fucking horrible.

L4oqmtD.jpg

I don't think you can really make an accurate call on which game is harder until you've beaten the Lost Chapter and the secret boss in Bayonetta (although I'm just assuming you haven't).

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Just found this game at $35 , is it worth it ?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
L4oqmtD.jpg

I don't think you can really make an accurate call on which game is harder until you've beaten the Lost Chapter and the secret boss in Bayonetta (although I'm just assuming you haven't).

God I love that quote

Jintor

I still haven't fucking finished lost chapters.

I've only gotten up to the final boss 3 times and she completely destroys me every time. I just don't have the patience to heal myself up most of the time, so I just challenge myself to see how far I can get.

Also, fuck burning enemies. Fuck 'em with a rake.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Ok got it at $30, played a bit, it's far better than the demo and its cool ,any combo guide?

After finishing the carnival of stupid that was peace walker, i am ready to start this game.. I am sorry for asking essentially the same question as someone else asked above, but how does this game's difficulty compare to other games? Sadly I have not played many action brawlers, but i did finish DMC. On medium, if there was difficulty levels? And I thought it was hard. Not sure what else to compare it to? played god of war 3 on hard, wanted to kill myself quite a few times, gow2 on medium, thought it was too easy, god of war 1 on medium, was just about right i guess?

i finished adventure of link and thought it was fine except the fucking death mountain and that slow path of monster shit before the last dungeon. I don't think the last boss can be beaten by regular human beings without cheating

I am mostly afraid of somehow making it through the game and ending up stuck at a spike (ala killzone 2's last boss)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
After finishing the carnival of stupid that was peace walker, i am ready to start this game.. I am sorry for asking essentially the same question as someone else asked above, but how does this game's difficulty compare to other games? Sadly I have not played many action brawlers, but i did finish DMC. On medium, if there was difficulty levels? And I thought it was hard. Not sure what else to compare it to? played god of war 3 on hard, wanted to kill myself quite a few times, gow2 on medium, thought it was too easy, god of war 1 on medium, was just about right i guess?

i finished adventure of link and thought it was fine except the fucking death mountain and that slow path of monster shit before the last dungeon. I don't think the last boss can be beaten by regular human beings without cheating

I am mostly afraid of somehow making it through the game and ending up stuck at a spike (ala killzone 2's last boss)

Did you finish DMC or DmC? There's a big difference there. DmC is a cakewalk on Hard difficulty for anyone experienced in action games. DMC is a legitimately difficult game.

MGR tougher than DmC, but not by much. You can always play this game on Easy if it's too much for you, and I'm sure you can basically button mash your way through. The difficulty will be proportional to how quickly you mentally grasp the parry/counter system in the game. If you're having trouble with it, there are quite a few posts in this thread with tips and tricks.

Did you finish DMC or DmC? There's a big difference there. DmC is a cakewalk on Hard difficulty for anyone experienced in action games. DMC is a legitimately difficult game.

MGR tougher than DmC, but not by much. You can always play this game on Easy if it's too much for you, and I'm sure you can basically button mash your way through. The difficulty will be proportional to how quickly you mentally grasp the parry/counter system in the game. If you're having trouble with it, there are quite a few posts in this thread with tips and tricks.

I meant the PS2 game :)

Oh okay. I don't think you'd have any real problems, then. I will say this, some people did initially have trouble with the difficulty of the final portion of the game, but folks in this thread can definitely help you out if it comes to that.

Thanks for the advice. I'll buckle up, sharpen my HF sword, activate my nanomachines, adjust my solid eye, and get ready for hard mode. This sounds like the kind of game where it's rewarding.

and when everything goes horribly wrong, i'll blame you! :p

hwalker84

I thought Metal Gear Rising was a cakewalk until the last boss.

This game can have a little bit of a learning curve for people who don't play a lot of 3D action games, but once you understand your abilities, it's not a very hard game on Normal mode. Anyone that can beat DMC1 and most of Zelda 2 can do just fine in this game.

BadWolf

Just make sure to buy the Defensive Offensive move first chance you get, its this game's dodge move essentially.

I thought Metal Gear Rising was a cakewalk until the last boss.

Yup, ditto.

And once you figure him out he's easy too, even on harder difficulties.

I think it might actually be the easiest game Platinum's released. Sure you could die a bunch but anyone with a couple of days to spare could pull off a Revengeance S-run, since most of the difficulty comes from the unpredictability of the camera and the AI. The only truly difficult things in the game I'd say are VR17/18/19 and the final boss fight for the Sam DLC on Revengeance, and none of them are the "good" kind of difficult.

Finishes the game last night but I'm not seeing a new game plus option. Trying to start a new game said it would erase all my unlocks. Is New Game Plus just using chapter select with a higher difficulty?

Susurrus

Pretty far in this game, chapter 4 on hard mode in the
Japanese Garden

Some challenging parts, but I'm glad I played on Hard instead of Normal. I'm liking the game more as I progress, but that being said, are there any issues of freezing/locking up on this game? Playing on a slim if that matters. I can't tell if it is my hardware or the game as this is the first long term game since I changed from fat to slim. The PS3 hasn't been freezing in Sonic Adventure 2, Duck Tails, or while browsing the menu or store. I want to keep playing the game as I'm enjoying it the further I go, but the freezing is pissing me off.

it's almost never at 60fps. I usually play this game every week on revengeance difficulty and the framerate in never smooth for me.

Weird. The only times I've ever had problems with framerate are when I cut something into over 300 or so pieces. Other than those occasions, it runs at a pretty consistent 60 FPS, at least according to my capture card.

I remember the digital foundry analysis (or some other performance-related site) finding that the framerate dips considerably as soon as *something* is happening on screen, and the xbox version has a ton of screen tearing to boot. You can notice it, especially on parts like the beach where nothing is happening, it just feels much smoother because it's actually at 60fps instead of 45. It's not as appalling as 30fps and I think the game looks pretty good all things considered, but yeah, seeing the sorts of things that can run at 60+ fps on a PC even without a ton of optimization, MGR leaves a bit to be desired.

I know PC isn't a big market for Japan or Japanese developers, especially smaller ones like PG, but seeing that next-gen seems to be focused on 30fps as well I hope they'll consider more PC ports in the future, especially now that it's apparently much less difficult to do. This is going to be an ongoing problem for a while longer.

zainetor

Banned
Weird. The only times I've ever had problems with framerate are when I cut something into over 300 or so pieces. Other than those occasions, it runs at a pretty consistent 60 FPS, at least according to my capture card.

boss fights are almost fine. The problems start as soon as particles and effects+you making combos and cutting shit happen on screen.

Tizoc

So my brother is playing the game but is unable to the dodge. It's Square+X right? he presses the buttons but it just has rAIDEN jump or do a jumping attack.

qq more

Posting here just to say that Chapter 03's boss
Monsoon
is possibly one of the best boss fights in video game history. Holy shit

Top Bottom