• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Guess Who

Banned
I see. I didn't notice any scars or anything on his face at the beginning, though.

It is very subtle, but there is a seam where his real head and robotic body meet at his jaw:

CLfdM4f.png

Darksim

Why have I not posted in this thread yet?

So, whens this PC version so we can have playable Armstrong

Also, hopefully they do cool things like using the AI for enemies from the Sam DLC in the main game (or at least make a seperate difficulty or two that uses them). Gekkos jumping over my parries is fantastic. Revengeance mode is also pretty tame at this point, hopefully they find a way to make it more than a slightly dumber very hard.

I hope they allow Sam to upgrade his weapon damage too, going beyond hard mode basically made the entire dlc not fun since you couldn't attack anything head on without being destroyed in seconds. Run away > taunt > run away > attack > run away > etc. is sleep inducing after a while. The super sam bros missions were still pretty great though.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Just tried Revengeance difficulty. Shit is crazy. :lol

The Gekko in the first encounter totally got me by surprise.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Don't think so, you can't replay specific parts of a chapter. You can make separate saves for each boss if you like though and just practice that way.

I discovered that you actually can replay just specific parts of a chapter.
In the chapter selection screen, you get to choose which checkpoint to load.

Edit: Oops, double post.

Arkanius

Is the PC version really coming?
Should I buy the X360 version right now? The fact that they made the DLCs free makes me bite since the price is 20€ here in Yurope (Physical copies, Marketplace is still 50€ for me for some strange reason)

Is the PC version really coming?
Should I buy the X360 version right now? The fact that they made the DLCs free makes me bite since the price is 20€ here in Yurope (Physical copies, Marketplace is still 50€ for me for some strange reason)

Supposedly the PC version is still coming yes.

jett

D-Member
Playing the free Sam DLC. I've Revengeanced this game. Platinum'd this shit.

Why the fuck can't I beat this fucking dog. FUCK YOU DOG.

I started playing the Jetstream DLC as well.

This is like a whole new game. The VR mission where you have to kill three gorillas at once - I am filled with hate.

I have been trying out this DLC since it went free (was going to wait for the PC version for the DLC but... I guess I will play it now). The Sam DLC is kind of the real deal, the Blade Wolf one seems a lot less interesting. The AI tweaks for enemies in Sams DLC is nice and his moveset is pretty great.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I have been trying out this DLC since it went free (was going to wait for the PC version for the DLC but... I guess I will play it now). The Sam DLC is kind of the real deal, the Blade Wolf one seems a lot less interesting. The AI tweaks for enemies in Sams DLC is nice and his moveset is pretty great.

The focus of the BladeWolf DLC is stealth. Since that aspect of the game as a whole is sort of weak, it kinda makes sense that the BladeWolf DLC suffers similarly. Still fun, though.

Sam DLC is really great. It's tougher in all the right ways, and the tweaks to existing enemy A.I. and moveset were welcome additions.

I bought, played, and completed both of these when they came out, but I might fire them up again for the heck of it.

The PC version can't come soon enough. C'mon, Konami.

You have to play the bladewolf fight in the Sam DLC the same way you do it in Raiden's campaign (though you can dodge the knives now). I tried for about 3 hours to no-damage him on Revengeance by taunting and dodging, and then trying to corner it and knock it down by charging the third hit of the string, to no avail. Then I just did the parry thing and got it on the first try. I don't understand why they put that fight in a narrow corridor knowing that the game has massive camera problems.

Darksim

I don't understand why they put that fight in a narrow corridor knowing that the game has massive camera problems.

Considering their goal throughout the DLC is to make it as not fun as possible it isn't too surprising they would make sure the camera is far worse than in the main game.

So I finished this last night after leaving it for a week since I was at it last. A bloody great game and the best Ninja Gaiden game in about 5 years. I just wish there was more of it. It seemed a very rushed game (though the LONGEST end credits ever would suggest otherwise). There were very few environments and they were also so barren and empty and got smaller as the game went on as far as I could tell. The 5th chapter was an earlier chapter played in reverse and the 6th was just a boss fight while the final 7th was very short, although the final boss was SUBLIME. My final playtime was 4 hours 11 minutes (plus 2 hours of cut-scenes on top I guess). That is pretty unacceptable. I'm glad I got it off PS+ and didn't pay for it on its original release. But what little game there is was a fucking blast to play. What's the DLC like?

Also, post-MGS2 Raiden >>>> Snake.

So I finished this last night after leaving it for a week since I was at it last. A bloody great game and the best Ninja Gaiden game in about 5 years. I just wish there was more of it. It seemed a very rushed game (though the LONGEST end credits ever would suggest otherwise). There were very few environments and they were also so barren and empty and got smaller as the game went on as far as I could tell. The 5th chapter was an earlier chapter played in reverse and the 6th was just a boss fight while the final 7th was very short, although the final boss was SUBLIME. My final playtime was 4 hours 11 minutes (plus 2 hours of cut-scenes on top I guess). That is pretty unacceptable. I'm glad I got it off PS+ and didn't pay for it on its original release. But what little game there is was a fucking blast to play. What's the DLC like?

try it out on revengeance mode at the very least

So when do I get to upgrade Sam's sword?
the dlc mission is balanced around that specific weapon and its power (and the taunts)

Mackins

What a truly brilliant game, best of its genre and the boss fights felt old school, timing, reactions, skill. Loved it.
Armstrong was a bit of a nightmare on my first run on hard, I blame it on me zombied at 3:30am though. Haha
I wonder what Platinum could do with a sequel, especially with getting a longer development time, next gen power and maybe using the FOX Engine.
Raiden is one of the coolest characters in gaming now, hated him in MGS2 but he sure redeemed himself in MGS4!

BadWolf

^Yeah the cyborg Raiden is such a wonderful and badass re-imagining of a character.

And the best part about a sequel is that Kojima said that he won't let anyone but PG touch it.

Iirc they don't count time spent on retries, restarts, cutscenes etc. so the final time you see at the end isn't the time you spent on the game.

Its a short game yes but that's what also makes it great for re-plays. I can see myself playing this for years to come.

the sam DLC is great except for the new move for the senator. it would be great if it didn't glitch out sometimes and have him wildly go spinning around (and on the higher difficulties he goes back and forth like 5 times so its a much higher chance it glitches out). otherwise its a pretty great fight but that move made it pretty obnoxious to go for the no-damage. It is a real bummer too because otherwise it is a really aggressive and fun fight, its too bad that move wasn't more consistent.

the sam DLC is great except for the new move for the senator. it would be great if it didn't glitch out sometimes and have him wildly go spinning around (and on the higher difficulties he goes back and forth like 5 times so its a much higher chance it glitches out). otherwise its a pretty great fight but that move made it pretty obnoxious to go for the no-damage. It is a real bummer too because otherwise it is a really aggressive and fun fight, its too bad that move wasn't more consistent.

that fight made no sense to me. You make a new character that has a ton of interesting offensive options, yet you design the boss fight around one single dodge mechanic. I suppose using taunt is the only reliable way to do good enough damage, but then it just makes the boss fight depend entirely on whether or not he does a move that lets you taunt or charge.

trulsnes

Neo Member
So I recently started playing this but there's a couple of things I don't get:
First, the left arms: What does the green/red colors even mean? You're supposed to cut the green part no? I feel like I'm hitting it dead on but sometime it just won't come off.

Secondly, how do you know which attacks you can and can't block? The interwebs tell me yellow=unblockable, but that's not true. E.g the gekko and those tank things' attacks light up yellow and they can be blocked...

one85x

So I recently started playing this but there's a couple of things I don't get:
First, the left arms: What does the green/red colors even mean? You're supposed to cut the green part no? I feel like I'm hitting it dead on but sometime it just won't come off.

Secondly, how do you know which attacks you can and can't block? The interwebs tell me yellow=unblockable, but that's not true. E.g the gekko and those tank things' attacks light up yellow and they can be blocked...
You want to preserve the part that's green, so you have to cut off their arm just above the elbow.

There are orange attacks and yellow attacks. Orange attacks can be blocked while yellow attacks (usually grabs) can't be blocked.

trulsnes

Neo Member
You want to preserve the part that's green, so you have to cut off their arm just above the elbow.

There are orange attacks and yellow attacks. Orange attacks can be blocked while yellow attacks (usually grabs) can't be blocked.

Oh, yeah. It's orange. I'd probably never notice that if you hadn't told me.

I guess you mean preserve the red part (the hand is red, arm green). I dunno what I'm doing wrong because I still occasionally miss it, although it looks like I hit dead on. Maybe I'm not standing close enough.. (need to try some more)

one85x

Oh, yeah. It's orange. I'd probably never notice that if you hadn't told me.

I guess you mean preserve the red part (the hand is red, arm green). I dunno what I'm doing wrong because I still occasionally miss it, although it looks like I hit dead on. Maybe I'm not standing close enough.. (need to try some more)
Ya, I forgot the entire enemy was highlighted differently when they have a special hand. A small tip for getting some of the hands: If the hand is on one of the super basic grunts, and you can sneak up on them, don't assassinate them with the action command. Just go into blade mode and slash horizontally. Assassinating them first will cause their arms to fly up, making for a much more awkward cutting angle.

McNum

The only MGS game I ever played was MGS4 and didn't finish it.

Played Bayonetta and Vanquish though.
Did you get to the part in MGS4 where Raiden totally owns a flock of Gekkos in a cutscene? Because that's the Raiden you're gonna play as. Except better. And not in a cutscene.

lyonhardt

Got the game through PS+ and finished it in two sittings, just over 4 hours - this is the main reason I didn't want to buy the game when it was released. I restarted the game immediately on hard and just beat Monsoon now though.

Game is definitely a blast, but I think a bit overrated by the community. It just receives ridiculous amount of praise in certain circles and I just don't understand it. It's fun and crazy, makes you feel very powerful, the bosses are great, and it has some unique mechanics but it felt samey and it lacked some depth. I could button mash my way through pretty much all of it, and it's even easier on hard difficulty (because my gear carried over). I rarely do well-timed parries, but you can mash regular parries, and it made the more difficult enemies and bosses fairly easy. The last boss was kicking my ass until I started playing even more aggressively. I feel like I might be missing something that made it special to a lot of people, but oh well. If it has anything to do with the satisfaction of mastering the game, S-ranking all levels etc, then nevermind, that's most likely not within my skill level.

I hear there's some free DLC floating around, so I'll definitely grab that soon.

BadWolf

Got the game through PS+ and finished it in two sittings, just over 4 hours - this is the main reason I didn't want to buy the game when it was released. I restarted the game immediately on hard and just beat Monsoon now though.

Game is definitely a blast, but I think a bit overrated by the community. It just receives ridiculous amount of praise in certain circles and I just don't understand it. It's fun and crazy, makes you feel very powerful, the bosses are great, and it has some unique mechanics but it felt samey and it lacked some depth. I could button mash my way through pretty much all of it, and it's even easier on hard difficulty (because my gear carried over). I rarely do well-timed parries, but you can mash regular parries, and it made the more difficult enemies and bosses fairly easy. The last boss was kicking my ass until I started playing even more aggressively. I feel like I might be missing something that made it special to a lot of people, but oh well. If it has anything to do with the satisfaction of mastering the game, S-ranking all levels etc, then nevermind, that's most likely not within my skill level.

I hear there's some free DLC floating around, so I'll definitely grab that soon.

Both Normal and Hard are easy.

Try Very Hard.

trulsnes

Neo Member

You sure you're looking at play time and not complete time at the end? Lots of reviewers does that mistake.

Also, normal and hard is pretty much the same. I didn't notice any difference. Very hard have different enemy layout and is a lot harder.

Top Bottom