• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Community |OT4| God Bless the Chopper!

Hahaha

#NeverBeGameOver
I'm actually kind of curious to see where the MGS twitter goes with this giveaway. Looks like they're recapping the whole MGSV story. What if it ends with a chapter 3 hint?
#NeverBeGameOver
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
It's probably nothing tho tbh
EDIT: A translation of that MGSV novel interview thing (I think it's the same one as before)
http://webnewtype.com/special/metalgear/en_01/
In Kojima-san's commentary in the novelization of V, he writes, "The empty space compels you to move on. That empty space is V itself."
RIP Never Be Game Over

JayEH

I'm actually kind of curious to see where the MGS twitter goes with this giveaway. Looks like they're recapping the whole MGSV story. What if it ends with a chapter 3 hint?
#NeverBeGameOver
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
It's probably nothing tho tbh
EDIT: A translation of that MGSV novel interview thing (I think it's the same one as before)
http://webnewtype.com/special/metalgear/en_01/

RIP Never Be Game Over

Finally a good translation of that interview.

The comments section is brutal, divided between love and hate for the story. People are either "not true fans" or "Kojima apologists." The comments are equally saddening to read from both ends of the spectrum. I personally don't agree with the notion that the story is garbage, but I also don't agree with the idea of the game releasing as it was intended to be consumed. One side can't take away any positives from the game solely due to the narrative not meeting the individuals of this camp's expectations and the other doesn't want to acknowledge the existence of Episode 51, dismissing it by claiming it was Kojima's intention to end the game the way that he did. Expectations are just that, built up by the player, and whether or not they are a fan of what we were given, well, there's nothing wrong with either. As for the game's incomplete state, it doesn't matter what got cut, whether it be Episode 51 or an entire 3rd chapter, the bottom line is that it got cut, and for a game that was marketed as a means of closing the loop, fans have every right to be upset with cut content and likely would be regardless of where that content may have fallen within the narrative. Anyway, the video's comments section is no more than a microcosm of the current state of the Metal Gear community itself. And a sad state it is.

Just to be clear, I get where both sides of the fan base are coming from. I understand the desire to defend Kojima and I understand, too, the lust for closure, but some things are simply as black and white as they appear on the surface.

I just hope that one day the community will be able to step back and appreciate the game for what it does well, while being able to accept that significant pieces of the game were lost along the way... In other words, a better balance than:

"If you don't understand Postcolonial theory then you won't 'get' this game. Kojima is a genius."

and

"It's trash."

It doesn't mean that everyone has to like (or dislike) everything, but sometimes it's for the best that we step outside of the bubble we're in to at least try and see things from the other point of view, even if we don't necessarily agree with it.

Vally

The comments section is brutal, divided between love and hate for the story. People are either "not true fans" or "Kojima apologists." The comments are equally saddening to read from both ends of the spectrum. I personally don't agree with the notion that the story is garbage, but I also don't agree with the idea of the game releasing as it was intended to be consumed. One side can't take away any positives from the game solely due to the narrative not meeting the individuals of this camp's expectations and the other doesn't want to acknowledge the existence of Episode 51, dismissing it by claiming it was Kojima's intention to end the game the way that he did. Expectations are just that, built up by the player, and whether or not they are a fan of what we were given, well, there's nothing wrong with either. As for the game's incomplete state, it doesn't matter what got cut, whether it be Episode 51 or an entire 3rd chapter, the bottom line is that it got cut, and for a game that was marketed as a means of closing the loop, fans have every right to be upset with cut content and likely would be regardless of where that content may have fallen within the narrative. Anyway, the video's comments section is no more than a microcosm of the current state of the Metal Gear community itself. And a sad state it is.

Just to be clear, I get where both sides of the fan base are coming from. I understand the desire to defend Kojima and I understand, too, the lust for closure, but some things are simply as black and white as they appear on the surface.

I just hope that one day the community will be able to step back and appreciate the game for what it does well, while being able to accept that significant pieces of the game were lost along the way... In other words, a better balance than:

"If you don't understand Postcolonial theory then you won't 'get' this game. Kojima is a genius."

and

"It's trash."

It doesn't mean that everyone has to like (or dislike) everything, but sometimes it's for the best that we step outside of the bubble we're in to at least try and see things from the other point of view, even if we don't necessarily agree with it.

Completely agree

^ Thanks.

Yeah that was good stuff.

People will probably be analyzing this game for a while to come, ala MGS2.

Most definitely, with the game being so big, people are bound to find more things over time, heck look at the great efforts people are making in hopes of digging out a possible third chapter :D

and

"It's trash."

Spot on, a open outlook is always essential, that's not just in regards to TPP as well lol. Looking around some of the comments I think the one thing most can agree on is, hate it or love it, it wasn't the game everyone expected based on the trailers/marketing.

Shy

ZOcTmr4.gif

wilsonda

Maybe after a battlefront palette cleanser I'll return to this game and run through all the missions again...

I really want to love MGO but lack of mode variety is killing me

I'm very sceptical about this. For one thing, the Tomb Raider deal hasn't worked out for them at all, and Kojima is much more closely associated with PlayStation so it would be foolish to switch to a less successful rival console.

I was just watching it, but I don't remember seeing this before hand. Anyone know the original source?

I remember hearing about such rumours quite a few months back. I'll see if I can find anything.

Having exclusive rights to Scalebound and a Kojima-led horror project would be a big deal for Microsoft, and could only strengthen their Japanese user base. Kojima's non-compete is up in a matter of weeks, and we'll have our answers soon enough.

Personally I think they've given up giving a shit about Japan. They're fighting to stay ahead in North America and fighting to stay relevant in Europe, so I don't think they're going to go out of their way to buy Japanese exclusives. Scalebound is the outlier.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I'm very sceptical about this. For one thing, the Tomb Raider deal hasn't worked out for them at all, and Kojima is much more closely associated with PlayStation so it would be foolish to switch to a less successful rival console.

I remember hearing about such rumours quite a few months back. I'll see if I can find anything.

Personally I think they've given up giving a shit about Japan. They're fighting to stay ahead in North America and fighting to stay relevant in Europe, so I don't think they're going to go out of their way to buy Japanese exclusives. Scalebound is the outlier.
I appreciate it, thanks. Although it makes more sense for Microsoft to "bag" Kojima, I don't see any truth to that rumor.

Some nice observations here:

Use of Light as Symbolism, Nuclear Proliferation, and How We the Player might be the Demon inside Venom

The yellow and red themes is a really nice catch, many in Peace Walker did wear yellow scarves, handkerchiefs etc., whereas in MGSV it's more about red (Kaz wears a red tie, Ocelot a red scarf, Eli a red hat on his shoulder etc.).

An interesting read. The game being powered by the Fox Engine certainly helps it use light as a means of conveying a message.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Yeah I am going to pick the game back up and play for another 13 hours for my nuke to finish developing and then instantly dismantle it all in the hopes hundreds of other players do as well so that I can see a small cutscene that is already available on youtube.

Let's unlock chapter 3 everyone. Get to disarming those nukes. We're almost there on console!

Let's do it!

Yeah I am going to pick the game back up and play for another 13 hours for my nuke to finish developing and then instantly dismantle it all in the hopes hundreds of other players do as well so that I can see a small cutscene that is already available on youtube.

Fortunately enough, this cutscene triggering doesn't rely on individuals to disarm the nukes they've developed themselves.

Here are the numbers for nuclear weapons owned per platform.
By Nov 1st-
PS4:2761
PS3:1685
One:525
360:1011
Steam:36552

Here are the numbers for nuclear weapons owned per platform.
By Nov 25th-
PS4: 352
PS3: 250
One: 96
360: 85
Steam: 15691

The possibility of players triggering the Disarmament scene by month's end isn't all that far-fetched.

Just out of curiosity, is the gleam on the Diamond Dogs logo always there from the beginning of the game?

Because I only noticed it after I played mission 43

It's an actual diamond, and only appears upon completion of Mission 43. "We'll make diamonds from their ashes. Take them into battle with us."

Alienous

So, for the sake of posterity, and because this page is nearing its end, I thought I'd post this here. Some assembled stuff I collaborated with Dawg on for the |OT| way back when the MGSV hype was at its maximum. Ultimately he went his own way with it, but I there was some cool stuff here, so I thought I'd post it because why the fucks not.

ZXy8N2x.png

vFxZTMY.gif

test1_headq7pgi.png

pxPiz1j.png

KutHEGT.png

xhgrhN4.png

7klDfWs.png

DqWm55s.png

x9EHHzd.png

charsoapye.png

B6Cvdhh.png

wbOFVQ3.png
08rVjHp.gif
SYpNyVV.gif
wZSGktI.gif

wbOFVQ3.png
zoJRngO.gif

erSmIMw.png

1Fp52Nb.png

aHwL3Gg.png
vT3qE6G.png
5qOkvqm.png

mitKxxO.png
xKkTh88.png
7cQSBLi.png

YuPMyZ1.png

JaghsQ4.png
NyvAKbe.png
4KHQZ0g.png
2pxf9mZ.png

EhHpXtO.png

9IQKmr6.png

wbOFVQ3.png
wbOFVQ3.png
5k3RTi2.png

Kindekuma

Banned
That entire OT design for the MGSV thread looks so good.

What should be the name for MGS OT5? I have no idea what to call it yet.

You won't need to think about that for years at this rate :(

Interest in the series seems to have hit rock bottom. MGSV is selling well, of course, and will continue to do so through Steam's Autumn Sale, but there's a disappointing lack of discussion regarding a game that goes out of its way to be controversial in so many respects. The Nuclear Deterrent scene is mere days away from being accessed across 3 of the 5 available platforms, yet even that doesn't seem to pique the community's interest.

The only thing that people want to talk about is what isn't there.

g49nn0X.png

Yeah, he didn't give his post a description. But we all know what he was getting at. How far must we reach before we can put this nonsense to rest and discuss what was present in Kojima's final Metal Gear game, and shift our attention to the future of the series?

At this rate, Kojima will have moved on, started a new project, all the while, we'll still have people connecting the "dots" with coincidences that "can't be coincidences" which prove that the new project will somehow be tied to additional, significant MGSV content.

Top Bottom