• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid: RISING WebSite is Now LIVE! + Direct Feed Trailer

ArjanN

Gorgon said:
Hum...the role of Japan in WWII is a bit of an anathema for the Japanese, with even their school books beying a bit muddled and veiled about the role of Japan in WWII. Maybe a game with heavy political content arching back to WWII? Sounds like it could be that.

Metal Gear Solid: Rape of Nanking

I'm sure that would go over well...

jett said:
It doesn't even use the same engine.

And it looks way fucking better than MGS4.

Suspiciously much better, if you know what I mean...

Yay for PC.

I just realised that Raiden had his knife in his left hand during that 4-kill combo :lol

Also, the lightning and sword trail effects makes me think how graphically jaw dropping ZOE 3 can be if they'd just make it... T_T

Rez said:
I can't quite put my finger on it. It just looked and felt like MGS4 with a weird cutting mechanic tacked on.

I need to see more of the game in action, I guess. Maybe some enemies that are specifically designed for this sort of thing and environments that didn't look like Act 1 or the end of Act 2. Maybe Raiden moving in a way that isn't like MGS4 Snake.

I'm not saying that's all it will be, but of the handful of seconds we got to see it looked kiiiiind of awkward.

Got this feeling as well.

I also thought that the scenes in which Raiden slashes stuff looked suspiciously motioned controlled...

jett said:
It doesn't even use the same engine.

And it looks way fucking better than MGS4.

Suspiciously much better, if you know what I mean...

Really? Didn't look that way to me. I'm just glad KP's first multiplatform effort can stand up to MGS4 graphically, jaggy-free and pleasing color palette and all.

Pooya

robor said:
Does anyone know who's director/lead designer on this game? It CAN'T be Kojima.
roducer: Shigenobu Matsuyama (Police 911 producer)
Director: Mineshi Kimura (Graphic artist MGS series)
Written by: Etsu Tamari (Database writer MGS4)
Associate Producer: Yuji Korekado (Programmer MGS series)
Lead Programmer: Yuta Kunibe (Programmer MGS series)
Sound Director: Akihiro Teruta (Sound designer MGS series)
Technical Art Director: Hideki Sasaki (Graphic artist MGS series)
Concept Arist: Yoji Shinkawa
Mechanical Designer: Takayuki Yanase
Executive Producer: Hideo Kojima

somebody add this to the useless OP, why you locked my thread KAGARI!!!!! :(

robor

rvy said:
Mineshi Kimura.

Isn't he an artist as opposed to a designer? Hmm interesting. I thought Shuyou Murata would be behind thi-
Konami.png

Konami2.png

Konami3.png

...oh wait never mind.

mileS

Metalmurphy said:
Because it uses the same engine it's a MOD?... Seriously guys...

Did you read 2 posts above that quote? just checking because I have a strange feeling you think thats what I said.

Anyways like I said before I really expected this trailer to get a much better response here on GAF.. Oh well i'm sold Day 1 ZAN-DATSU the shit out of it.

lorddarkflare said:
Got this feeling as well.

I also thought that the scenes in which Raiden slashes stuff looked suspiciously motioned controlled...

If it were motion controlled then what the hell is the point of the cutting guide you can quite clearly see?

Maybe it will be Move/Kinect compatible, but no way will it require it. You don't need a slow moving cutting guide in a motion controlled sword game.

WARP10CK

Banned
PetriP-TNT said:
I spent like 20 hours shooting the watermelons in MGS2 :lol

And now you will spend another 20 hours slicing and dicing watermelons :)

The tactical espionage cooking analogy was not far off

StuBurns

Banned
freethought said:
If it were motion controlled then what the hell is the point of the cutting guide you can quite clearly see?

Maybe it will be Move/Kinect compatible, but no way will it require it. You don't need a slow moving cutting guide in a motion controlled sword game.
Of course it won't require those things.

However, I totally disagree that circle of pain doesn't make sense for Move, it's exactly what it should be. Imagine you're holding the waggle at the far right of the circle, moving it to make sure you're cutting where you want, then you sweep it across, ending where you want.

One thing that I don't think has been discussed is the melons. He cuts the melon, and not the table, that kind of accuracy (assuming it's not just an invincible table) is going to be incredibly difficult to do with a normal pad. With move, you could easily stop your arm movement when you've cut as deep as you wish.

If this is move or not, it is the best demonstration of a concept that would work with Wii/move I have seen so far.

freethought said:

this game with the controller = dumb. What would be the point of being able to slash everything?

that guide is probably optional looks sort of like how the crosshairs works in a lightgun game.

Biff

I'm assuming this has been discussed already by GAF after seeing the Rising sword gameplay reveal, so I apologize if I'm very LTTP with this idea:

I didn't put 2 and 2 together until I watched the watermelon-slicing gif for the twentieth time 30 seconds ago. I just realized that Rising's sword mechanic would be a perfect candidate for the precision of PS Move, but not necessarily Kinect.

Imagine the shitstorm if it's only Move compatible. Fuck timed exclusive mappacks, hardware exclusive gameplay would melt my mind.. Sony lost MGS exclusivity, but perhaps Kojima & Co. were made aware of PS Move plans much earlier than everyone else?

That would be a way to soften the blow of Sony losing one of their biggest franchises if the first MGS title on 360 is playable only with a controller, whereas PS3 can use controller or Move.

WrikaWrek

Banned
PnCIa said:
Looks great. But what does it have to do with Metal Gear Solid?

There probably will be Metal Gears in it, Raiden has been an integral part of the MGS franchise for half its lifespan (Are people forgetting he was the main character in MGS2 or something?), etc

I think it basically has everything to do with Metal Gear Solid, :D

Lakitu

st5fu
People seem to have this misconception that Metal Gear Solid is called that, because Solid Snake is the main character? It's just to signify the transition from 2D to 3D. Hence the Solid added on to Metal Gear. I thought everyone knew that? Solid Snake wasn't even the main character for MGS 3, it's not called Metal Gear Naked.

Lakitu said:
People seem to have this misconception that Metal Gear Solid is called that, because Solid Snake is the main character? It's just to signify the transition from 2D to 3D. Hence the Solid added on to Metal Gear. I thought everyone knew that? Solid Snake wasn't even the main character for MGS 3, it's not called Metal Gear Naked.

Metal Gear Naked sounds awesome IMO.

Salaadin

Lakitu said:

This cant be quoted enough. I wish I could find the old interview that confirms this.

StuBurns said:
Of course it won't require those things.

However, I totally disagree that circle of pain doesn't make sense for Move, it's exactly what it should be. Imagine you're holding the waggle at the far right of the circle, moving it to make sure you're cutting where you want, then you sweep it across, ending where you want.

One thing that I don't think has been discussed is the melons. He cuts the melon, and not the table, that kind of accuracy (assuming it's not just an invincible table) is going to be incredibly difficult to do with a normal pad. With move, you could easily stop your arm movement when you've cut as deep as you wish.

If this is move or not, it is the best demonstration of a concept that would work with Wii/move I have seen so far.

Meh, I just assumed that table was invincible to be honest. But after playing the slashing mini-game on WSR, I just don't see what that guide offers that a simple cursor doesn't provide with all of the precision but none of the confusion. Go to the KojiPro site and try slashing through the links with the mouse. That's how you do precise motion controlled slashes, the guide is unnecessary clutter. It's either completely useless or the slashing controls are simply gesture based and don't offer 1:1 precision thus rendering their inclusion pointless.

(It's not a circle by the way, it shows the arc of the blade.)

fake edit: How does the game predict the angle of your slash based on the position of the pointer?

zoukka

People have wanted 1:1 sword slicing in games since the first announcement of Wiimote.

So it's really interesting to see if the mechanic actually is fun and satisfying to use.

StuBurns

Banned
Lakitu said:
More importantly he wasn't the main character in MGS2, Raiden was.

If this isn't Metal Gear Solid, MGS2 shouldn't have been either.

We know nothing about this game, we know a playable character (we don't know it's even the only one) is the main character from MGS2, we know he can do ninja moves (as he could in MGS2, and Grey Fox could in MGSI).

Even if there is no stealth at all I'll defend this as being valid for a MGS entry. But as of right now, we don't even know there isn't stealth. In fact, the start of the trailer shows an enemy unable to find him, to me implying there will be instances of stealth approach to battle situations.

freethought said:
Meh, I just assumed that table was invincible to be honest. But after playing the slashing mini-game on WSR, I just don't see what that guide offers that a simple cursor doesn't provide with all of the precision but none of the confusion. Go to the KojiPro site and try slashing through the links with the mouse. That's how you do precise motion controlled slashes, the guide is unnecessary clutter. It's either completely useless or the slashing controls are simply gesture based and don't offer 1:1 precision thus rendering their inclusion pointless.

(It's not a circle by the way, it shows the arc of the blade.)

fake edit: How does the game predict the angle of your slash based on the position of the pointer?
With a sword though, you would have to go in a straight line, you couldn't have some wavy stupid cuts, which 1:1 would cause. I never imagined it'd be 1:1, I hope it's not.

As for the arc, I can't think of an example right now, but it's not so different to things I've played in games before really. I'm not saying you couldn't do it without the Move, I have no doubt you could, but I think it makes perfect sense as a Move title.

And if the table is invincible, the game is moronic.

Wazzim

Banned
ChefRamsay said:
I'm assuming this has been discussed already by GAF after seeing the Rising sword gameplay reveal, so I apologize if I'm very LTTP with this idea:

I didn't put 2 and 2 together until I watched the watermelon-slicing gif for the twentieth time 30 seconds ago. I just realized that Rising's sword mechanic would be a perfect candidate for the precision of PS Move, but not necessarily Kinect.

Imagine the shitstorm if it's only Move compatible. Fuck timed exclusive mappacks, hardware exclusive gameplay would melt my mind.. Sony lost MGS exclusivity, but perhaps Kojima & Co. were made aware of PS Move plans much earlier than everyone else?

That would be a way to soften the blow of Sony losing one of their biggest franchises if the first MGS title on 360 is playable only with a controller, whereas PS3 can use controller or Move.
OMG IT CAN USE BOTH THINGS!

:lol "Shitstorm" I thought nobody liked motion things anyway, but now a exclusive motion option will cause a shitstorm? :lol

Lakitu said:

Citation Needed.

here you go, oh look, it means a bunch of things. Who'd have guessed he was into multiple meanings and wordplay.

"Metal Gear" is as it is, and "Solid" has a deep meaning. Let me explain. This time Metal Gear is displayed in full polygonal form, and I used "Solid" to describe the cubic structure. also, the "Solid" means to the third power mathematically. Also, most of the people don't know that there is a Metal Gear 1 and 2 for the MSX, and I wanted it to be the sequel for those. And, of course, Solid from Solid Snake.

StuBurns

Banned
Graphics Horse said:
Citation Needed.

here you go, oh look, it means a bunch of things. Who'd have guessed he was into multiple meanings and wordplay.
This is true, however, if you count Solid Snake as a requirement, this is not the only game that should be rebranded.

For a start, we don't know if Solid Snake is in this. However, we do know he wasn't in Snake Eater, he wasn't in Portable Ops, he wasn't in Peace Walker. I didn't see 'Solid' complaints for any of those games. In fact, people have been calling PW MGS5. Adding credence to the game as appose to trying to remove it.

I think the truth is, people are basically saying Kojima=MGS. That's a fair comment, but this is how it has to be. Someone has to be making MGS games, so it's either Kojima keeps doing it, or someone else does, and he makes something new.

I want something new from him. If other people want endless MGS games, fair enough, but I totally disagree.

StuBurns said:
This is true, however, if you count Solid Snake as a requirement, this is not the only game that should be rebranded.

For a start, we don't know if Solid Snake is in this. However, we do know he wasn't in Snake Eater, he wasn't in Portable Ops, he wasn't in Peace Walker. I didn't see 'Solid' complaints for any of those games. In fact, people have been calling PW MGS5. Adding credence to the game as appose to trying to remove it.

I think the truth is, people are basically saying Kojima=MGS. That's a fair comment, but this is how it has to be. Someone has to be making MGS games, so it's either Kojima keeps doing it, or someone else does, and he makes something new.

I want something new from him. If other people want endless MGS games, fair enough, but I totally disagree.

Ah, I wasn't trying to add credence to Snake being in the game, it's a brandname at this point, just sick of people who love repeatedly misquoting an interview made back before MGS's U.S. release.

jett

D-Member
CosmicGroinPull said:
Really? Didn't look that way to me. I'm just glad KP's first multiplatform effort can stand up to MGS4 graphically, jaggy-free and pleasing color palette and all.

Well I'm no dev but I'm pretty sure that kind of non-scripted body deformation is impossible to achieve in real-time. A piece of his elbow gets sliced FFS. If anyone wants to correct me it'd be appreciated.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
PnCIa said:
What does Raiden have to do with Metal Gear SOLID?
jk :p okay not really but nevermind...
I´m talking about the style of gameplay :(

Pretty sure stealth gameplay will be there in some form. It's a futuristic ninja game after all.

StuBurns

Banned
jett said:
Well I'm no dev but I'm pretty sure that kind of non-scripted body deformation is impossible to achieve in real-time. A piece of his elbow gets sliced FFS. If anyone wants to correct me it'd be appreciated.
Well, that material must be in the game somehow. I think a lot of times, they'll cheat. The trailer even shows that, when he takes out the brick things, where his blade hits is not where they break. But whenever they bring up that arc, it has to cut anywhere you try.

EDIT: Just checked, that's not true at all. It does cut the bricks exactly the same. I have no idea what they're doing.

EDIT2: Just went thru the trailer pretty much frame for frame. The amount of detail really appears near impossible. For example once he's done chopping the watermelon, before he holsters the sword, he shakes off the remainder of the watermelon and it's actually built up of a ton of tiny little pink bits. Are they going to model tiny fragments of every item in the game?

Biff

Wazzim said:
OMG IT CAN USE BOTH THINGS!

:lol "Shitstorm" I thought nobody liked motion things anyway, but now a exclusive motion option will cause a shitstorm? :lol
Fair enough, but consider it from the perspective that MGS: Rising's sword control is the only motion-controlled mechanic I give a shit about.

I couldn't care less about petting tigers with Kinect or shooting bows and arrows with Move. But slow-mo slicing a guy to pieces is something the (few?) hardcore Move/Kinect adopters would care about.

If the main draw of Rising is motion-based cutting, then how would it not be a punch in the face to Kinect owners if they are limited to a conventional controller whereas Move owners are having a blast slicing and dicing their victims?

jett said:

It's difficult... but the slicing and breaking of solid objects has been done before. The hard part is indeed applying it to an animated body, but it looks like that's what they've been working on.

StuBurns said:
EDIT2: Just went thru the trailer pretty much frame for frame. The amount of detail really appears near impossible. For example once he's done chopping the watermelon, before he holsters the sword, he shakes off the remainder of the watermelon and it's actually built up of a ton of tiny little pink bits. Are they going to model tiny fragments of every item in the game?

Just a seperate effect for juice/blood fragments I guess, but I didn't notice that apart from the wiping motion, is the best version Konami's site?

Wazzim

Banned
ChefRamsay said:
Fair enough, but consider it from the perspective that MGS: Rising's sword control is the only motion-controlled mechanic I give a shit about.

I couldn't care less about petting tigers with Kinect or shooting bows and arrows with Move. But slow-mo slicing a guy to pieces is something the (few?) hardcore Move/Kinect adopters would care about.

If the main draw of Rising is motion-based cutting, then how would it not be a punch in the face to Kinect owners if they are limited to a conventional controller whereas Move owners are having a blast slicing and dicing their victims?
Yeah it's perfect for move.

I've already heard lots of complaining that this isn't MGS and 'he had better use a gun at some point' (not kidding) so I can't wait for this to come out so being a MGS game can also include this insanity. Nothing is Sacred!

People need to wait until the show more of the game before saying that it's not "MGS". You can play MGS as a pure action game if you want, just as that short demo section was played. Showing stuff like that is obviously going to get a lot more attention from people than having Raiden sneaking around doing stealth kills.

Pooya

jett said:
destruction in Red Faction Guerrilla is similar.

I wonder if when you kick the enemies up into the air and just cut off one of their arm's will they get up and take out their hand gun or will they just be dead from the kick up.

StuBurns

Banned
Solid_Rain said:
I wonder if when you kick the enemies up into the air and just cut off one of their arm's will they get up and take out their hand gun or will they just be dead from the kick up.
I've been wondering the same thing, NG2 played with that, but did it pretty poorly I think. RDR lets you shoot a gun out of someone's hand. MGS2 let you shoot radios to stop people calling you in.

Lots of people have flirted with the idea, it'd be cool to see them push it to the next level.

Salaadin

Solid_Rain said:

Or if legless enemies will crawl on the ground after you. It might be kinda morbid actually.

I remember messing with the guards in the MGS2 demo and watching them hobble around to call for backup on their blown out radios and shit. This could bring that to a whole new level.

Top Bottom