• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V 'Definitive Ex' listed by Amazon (Chapter 3?)

Ludens

Banned
New story content or reworked narrative is unlikely, as I doubt Konami is willing to pay Kiefer to reprise his role.

Well, they could use a phrase generator by using random worlds already recorded...at least that "The enemy sniper" sounds like something similar.

also naming it Race confused people since it doesn't address race in any significant way.

You misurunderstood: it was a race because they had no money and they need to rush toward the ending :)

I'll politely disagree. In my opinion, MGSV has a loose structure but a fine ending. Ch. 1 is the main adventure, so to speak; Ch. 2 is effectively an epilogue showing the not-so-fulfilling life their revenge earned for them. And then the reveal at the end casts everything that happened in a new light, and makes you look at a certain character (
the real Big Boss, defying The Boss' principles by using soldiers as a means to an ends
) in a whole new way.

Making the changes I prescribed would simply tighten the structure in a way I feel would be more satisfying. As it stands, cramming the first 30 missions into "Chapter 1" feels top-heavy and unwieldy, so dividing them into three acts would help. Those three acts would be 1)
Boss' return to the battlefield, in Afghanistan
, 2)
uncovering the parasite plot in Africa
, and 3)
attempting to stop Skull Face
. Then, by renaming Ch. 2 "Epilogue," it brings your expectations in line with the amount of new story content actually delivered. Moving the challenge missions to a separate category makes them feel less like filler and more like the optional content they actually are. Along with resolving the loose thread re: Eli, with the addition of "Kingdom of the Flies," it should feel much more complete overall.

I can totally sympathize with you wanting a more conventional ending, though. I just hope you understand where I'm coming from with this. :)

Liquid storyline is missing, the infamous Episode 51 should close that and maybe provide a proper ending, with Liquid building up his obsession for Big Boss. Skull Face looks like just something which randomly happens in the middle of rebuilding BB's army when they dispatch missions to gain money and so on. The fact he dies like one of those Z movies bad guys is also hilarious. For me MGSV doesn't lack an ending only, but a proper plot too: it's like Kojima had a couple of idead about the doppelganger's concept and built a whole game around it, failing to provide the very basic narrative to fuel players against Skull Face. The game mentions Cypher so many times, looking for revenge etc...but in the end it was like a fart in the wind. I like the Red Band trailer much more than the whole MGSV's plot.

Neiteio

also naming it Race confused people since it doesn't address race in any significant way.
It might be referring to an arms race, but yeah, most people would assume they mean ethnicity due to the game's marketing focus on third-world issues.

If I could make the changes I want (described in my previous post), I'd rename Ch. 2 "Epilogue" and give it the Ch. 3 subtitle, "Peace." It would be used ironically, i.e. the bitter reward of revenge.

Remember when we used to look forward to Metal Gear Solid V news....

Before our innocence was shattered.

Even with the bad news coming out of Konami, we hoped it would be OK....

Now? We're hoping they'll include the lost chapter and we want to pay for the pleasure of it.

Neiteio

Remember when we used to look forward to Metal Gear Solid V news....

Before our innocence was shattered.

Even with the bad news coming out of Konami, we hoped it would be OK....

Now? We're hoping they'll include the lost chapter and we want to pay for the pleasure of it.
I mean, MGSV is still a fucking awesome game. By far and away the best-playing installment in the series. In my opinion it's the best-feeling (realistic) third-person game.

Of course many of us would gladly pay for more.

Batzi

Banned
That's what you, as a fan want, clearly not the aim of MGSV story.

That's exactly what I have been saying for almost a year now. MGSV never intended to have any of that (Solid Snake vs Big Boss) in the game. The story was clearly about the phantoms of Big Boss and that was the missing link. It's true that it was advertised differently but Kojima did say several times and I can provide references for those who want that he likes to deceive people through trailers. Honestly, thank God he did. I didn't want to get an ending that many predicted.

Jawmuncher

That's exactly what I have been saying for almost a year now. MGSV never intended to have any of that (Solid Snake vs Big Boss) in the game. The story was clearly about the phantoms of Big Boss and that was the missing link. It's true that it was advertised differently but Kojima did say several times and I can provide references for those who want that he likes to deceive people through trailers. Honestly, thank God he did. I didn't want to get an ending that many predicted.

I dunno everyone kind of predicted the twist though

Ralemont

not me
I'll politely disagree. In my opinion, MGSV has a loose structure but a fine ending. Ch. 1 is the main adventure, so to speak; Ch. 2 is effectively an epilogue showing the not-so-fulfilling life their revenge earned for them. And then the reveal at the end casts everything that happened in a new light, and makes you look at a certain character (
the real Big Boss, defying The Boss' principles by using soldiers as a means to an ends
) in a whole new way.

Making the changes I prescribed would simply tighten the structure in a way I feel would be more satisfying. As it stands, cramming the first 30 missions into "Chapter 1" feels top-heavy and unwieldy, so dividing them into three acts would help. Those three acts would be 1)
Boss' return to the battlefield, in Afghanistan
, 2)
uncovering the parasite plot in Africa
, and 3)
attempting to stop Skull Face
. Then, by renaming Ch. 2 "Epilogue," it brings your expectations in line with the amount of new story content actually delivered. Moving the challenge missions to a separate category makes them feel less like filler and more like the optional content they actually are. Along with resolving the loose thread re: Eli, with the addition of "Kingdom of the Flies," it should feel much more complete overall.

I can totally sympathize with you wanting a more conventional ending, though. I just hope you understand where I'm coming from with this. :)

Edit: sorry missed the earlier convo.

A-V-B

Hey, don't get me wrong. The whole phantom concept is an interesting idea, and I get it. And far be it from me to tell Kojima what to do. The dude's a grand artiste, and he'll make whatever strikes his fancy. I just want what I want, too, as someone who loves the series and its characters.

duckroll

Are those two facts related? I mean, the verification was positive and later they banned you because the game didn't release on June (so the first verification was invalid)?

He means we paid attention to him mouthing off, and banned him when he was wrong. Don't worry, we are still paying attention! :)

Ludens

Banned

Well, it wasn't so hard to predict, as I pointed years ago, it was very clear from the trailers released, since
Kaz says "What about him? " looking to the player, and since first person visual=the player and BB was near Kaz, well that triggered a big alarm for me, fueled by other trailers too. Plus the fact BB in V has a missing arm and a horn, while in MGSIV had nothing of those... Considering Kojima already fiddled the userbase with Raiden was another hint too: 2+2=4.

Yeah ever since "V has come to" was introduced to the MGS lexicon the theory that you would be playing ANOTHER big boss clone was out there. Of course that didn't end up being entirely correct, but it was the same type of deception.

usp84

I actually believe Batzi that a remake is happening...... for no reason at all.

I dont see a chapter 3 or new story content being in the DE though

Neiteio

I also think an MGS3 remake is probably happening. The caliber of cutscenes in the pachinko game are simply too good. It would also be the biggest goodwill gesture from Konami to the fans — a surefire way to bring some back into the fold. They wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel, either, since the original game is a perfectly good blueprint for a new team to follow. The hype for such a title would be insane. And like others have said, remaking MGS3 could get the new team's feet wet before potentially taking on new MGS titles. I also don't think they'd sink all that money into Fox Engine and then be content to leave it at one console game (two if you count GZ, or three if you count DE EX).

Guess Who

Banned
PythonSelkan was the closest. I didn't see anyone here predicting the twist.

Between
Ishmael being voiced by Kiefer
and
the first scene in the first "proper" trailer with Kaz and Big Boss in the hospital, where Kaz looks at the "player" and says "what about him?"
, basically everyone on earth guessed that
you weren't playing as the real Big Boss.

What if it comes with a MGS3 Remake Demo ?

Haha I could see them doing this actually, people bought the Zone of the Enders for an MGS2 demo and then again bought the Zone of the Enders collection for the Rising demo so....maybe?

I guess they could easily just slice off the Virtuous Mission off the start of the game.

If this does include chapter 3 I hope people who own the base game can just download it as DLC or even better a patch, especially since it's content that was intended to be in the game but had to be cut.

Kazuhira

Like many others have said,this is just GZ+TPP and nothing else.
Konami doesn't give a fuck about anything but pachinko.

I actually believe Batzi that a remake is happening...... for no reason at all.

Well most of the cutscenes seem pretty much done, the pachinko machine even has random scenes of HD gharials and rabbits just for the hell of it. My only doubt is if it was cancelled or not.

Tansut

What if Ch. 3 -is- the MGS3 remake? Like Venom stumbles into a black hole and gets warped back in time?

"I'm looooooooost... in a time machiiiiiiiiiine... Snake Eaterrrrrrrrrrrr!"
"It's your kids, Big Boss! Your kids! Something has to be done about your kids!"

Crtl+F "Neo"

Definitely will have Neo mode, let us see what happens.

Whether this gets the trust of fans back remains to be seen.

You're not really gonna see much of a difference, you'll get a larger draw distance on lighting and a bit more detail but there's really not much to improve upon.

odm5T5i.jpg

NateDog

Considering MGS4 got a re-release which simply had MGO taken out of it I'd be surprised if this even has Ground Zeroes attached, I'd say just MGSV + all DLC.

I will believe it when I see it but I think this will just be like a GOTY edition, with all the dlc included and maybe Ground Zeroes too.

I don't expect chapter 3 will happen really now, although you would think with how much Konami like money, they would have got someone to do the 3rd chapter and release it as dlc.

MGSV will always be missing an ending because we'll never be able to
play the final days of Big Boss, fighting Solid Snake as Zanzibar Land burns.

here is a good example of the ridiculousness of the demands on Kojima: people wanted him to cover a period from the mid-70s to 1999 in a single game.

as Kojima's farewell, the "ending" to MGSV was always going to be the start of the first Metal Gear game. and that's what it is. why people can't accept this is beyond me.

it's extra silly cos Zanzibar Land is in Africa so the gameplay would be functionally almost the same: you as Big Boss running across Africa, getting involved in the local conflicts in order to build your base.

you already have the game you wish you had.

The draw distance difference was dramatic between PS4 and PC.
I wouldn't say it's a dramatic difference at all, a dramatic difference would be comparing the ps3 version to the PC

As someone who played primarily on PC, but has seen the PS4 version in person plenty of times, you won't really notice.

MGSV is my GOTG thus far. I know deep down I shouldn't get excited but the thought of a substance version of 5 has me frothing at the mouth.

Ill take anything at this point. Coop? New story missions? New side ops? New map? GZ revisited? Yes to all.

If it's just TPP with a download code of GZ then I'll be more than dissapointed. Which I should probably brace for.

The only thing is, the placeholder release date is for December. Why take so long on a simple GOTY edition/bundle package.

Why 'definitive ex' also?

Top Bottom