• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V 'Definitive Ex' listed by Amazon (Chapter 3?)

Yagharek

Even if this included act 3 imagine if the save files from V didn't carry over.

Fuck doing all those tedious side ops again

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
It's not going to be chapter 3, but realistically I'd hope that they can somehow connect GZ and TPP so that I can bring a fully upgraded Snake back into GZ and have some fun. Also make the GZ challenges into missions on TPP with that.

The most obvious thing would be to include all multiplayer DLC in this version.

That duckroll stamp of ban incoming for Gamescom..

5ordering_dessert.gif

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The ride never ends with this game.

Still think its great, particularly the construction of the game the intent of which has always seemed blazingly obvious to me. Seriously, people really need to ask why the chapter structure is what it is. If the game was so incomplete why not just jettison those pesky captions that frame the "phantom" third chapter?

Its not something that would require any development effort whatsoever, which leads me to the inescapable conclusion that they are there purely for narrative effect. Specifically to create by implication a void in the continuity between the end of MGSV's plot and the events of the original Metal Gear, even though the events present within the game set all the pieces in place.

Conceptually pretty brilliant imho, especially with how it dovetails with the overarching concept of the player as moral author of Big Boss's "downfall". Certainly massively superior to the pedantic "close every sub-plot loophole" excess of MGS4's climax.

To me its like the difference between the tedious crying hobbitses coda of Jackson's LOTR adaptations with the thoughtful ellipsis of Tony's fate at the end of the Sopranos.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
*Venom is walking around Mother Base when he notices his men installing something in the corner*

"What's that?" Venom asks Ocelot.

"That's a pachinko machine. You ever play pachinko before, Boss?"

"Can't say that I have."

"It's pretty simple. The key thing is, the more money you give Konami, the more money you might make back."

"Technology is amazing... Wait, what's a Konami?"

"Never mind that, Boss. Did you know you can play MGS3 Pachinko, right here in Mother Base? Just use your real-life credit card to buy in-game tokens. They say the true nature of things will only be revealed by playing a lot of pachinko..."

"Ocelot, what are you talking about?"

*smash to black screen*

CHAPTER 3: HIT THE LEVER

This is totally happening. Jim Sterling doesn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Don't care about chapter 3, I've already seen the deleted content like everyone else. A 'subsistance' style mgsv with new challenges and missions would be cool. I'd buy again.

Yukinari

MGSV should have included GZ to begin with but this is Konami we're talking about so of course it didnt.

And a definitive addition wont fix the issue of this game being 50 hours longer than it needed to be.

Imagine if Konami were actually trying to redeem themselves and released a definitive edition with Chapter 3 and a free Chapter 3 download for everyone with normal copies.

Just imagine it, cause it will never happen.

Neiteio

I'm pretty sure Ch. 3 would've just been that hidden cutscene that triggers when enough players worldwide disarm their nukes. Kojima's grand experiment to see if enough people worldwide could put aside selfish impulses and together unlock the game's true ending. Sort of meta commentary on how nuclear powers operate in the real world.

Didn't someone also data-mine a title card for Ch. 3 called "Peace?" That's what the nuclear disarmament scene was all about. The Ch. 3 title card probably appears before the hidden cutscene is triggered.

That doesn't tell me much except to reinforce my caution about certain reviewers.

even the bottom of the barrel reviews call it a 'stealth masterpeice'. every metric for user scores is also remarkably high. there is a certain point where it's your opinion that other people shouldn't trust, not the other way around.

It's cool if you didn't like MGSV. That hardly makes it a bad game though. Maybe you didn't agree with some design decisions or one of the many legitimate criticisms was too much for you. that's fine. What isn't really fine is insisting that everybody was wrong, that every reviewer has poor taste or is paid off or swept up in the hype. Sometimes you just don't like something. There's no conspiracy.

Batzi

Banned
What makes you think that the game was meant to have a chapter 3? Just because of one episode that got cut? Cause otherwise, the story has a clear ending.

Oh I never said there was a Chapter 3. In fact, I think there was never one in the first place and that people made that up. The only thing we know for sure is that Episode 51 was the only cut content otherwise the game ended the way it was suppose to end.

Oh I never said there was a Chapter 3. In fact, I think there was never one in the first place and that people made that up. The only thing we know for sure is that Episode 51 was the only cut content otherwise the game ended the way it was suppose to end.

Oh sorry. Yeah that's what I think as well.

.shin

Banned
I'm pretty sure Ch. 3 would've just been that hidden cutscene that triggers when enough players worldwide disarm their nukes. Kojima's grand experiment to see if enough people worldwide could put aside selfish impulses and together unlock the game's true ending. Sort of meta commentary on how nuclear powers operate in the real world.

Didn't someone also data-mine a title card for Ch. 3 called "Peace?" That's what the nuclear disarmament scene was all about. The Ch. 3 title card probably appears before the hidden cutscene is triggered.

Bingo.

Airzoom23

Still think its great, particularly the construction of the game the intent of which has always seemed blazingly obvious to me. Seriously, people really need to ask why the chapter structure is what it is. If the game was so incomplete why not just jettison those pesky captions that frame the "phantom" third chapter?

Its not something that would require any development effort whatsoever, which leads me to the inescapable conclusion that they are there purely for narrative effect. Specifically to create by implication a void in the continuity between the end of MGSV's plot and the events of the original Metal Gear, even though the events present within the game set all the pieces in place.

Conceptually pretty brilliant imho, especially with how it dovetails with the overarching concept of the player as moral author of Big Boss's "downfall". Certainly massively superior to the pedantic "close every sub-plot loophole" excess of MGS4's climax.

To me its like the difference between the tedious crying hobbitses coda of Jackson's LOTR adaptations with the thoughtful ellipsis of Tony's fate at the end of the Sopranos.

Well said. Kojima and the other writers certainly took some criticisms from MGS4 to heart.

bunkitz

Pfft. As if this will include Chapter 3.

Fuck, I'd be lying to myself if I said I didn't want it to have Chapter 3.

It'll at least be good for those who want to play the game but didn't yet. Not that they should give even a little bit of their money to Konami.

I want to move on. I've changed. I'm moving past Metal Gear Solid. I've passed this Phantom Pain. Don't we all? Don't we want Kojima to move on. This chapter is closed, with or without a restored Third Act.

In your opinion*
Read all posts on the internet as if they have the addendum "in my opinion" and your life will suddenly become more clear.
even the bottom of the barrel reviews call it a 'stealth masterpeice'. every metric for user scores is also remarkably high. there is a certain point where it's your opinion that other people shouldn't trust, not the other way around.

It's cool if you didn't like MGSV. That hardly makes it a bad game though. Maybe you didn't agree with some design decisions or one of the many legitimate criticisms was too much for you. that's fine. What isn't really fine is insisting that everybody was wrong, that every reviewer has poor taste or is paid off or swept up in the hype. Sometimes you just don't like something. There's no conspiracy.
I have no problem with thinking it was a good game, perhaps even home to the best stealth action mechanics conceived yet. I just don't think it was the 10/10 some reviewers made it out to be, and I do think there was a level of getting swept up in the "zeitgeist." And since playing the game, and getting caught up in the zeitgeist myself, I've become much more cautious about promulgating even my own thoughts on a game too soon and without enough reflection.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member

Not true. You see a snap of that cutscene in the little teaser sizzle reel title card for Chapter 2.

Edit: Here they are. The shot of Ocelot looking out of the chopper down at Mother Base is from the Nuclear Disarmament cutscene and also appears in the teaser for what's coming in Chapter 2, making it clear that Nuclear Disarmament is meant for Chapter 2. The "What if I'm a spy?" subtitle is due to them using a bunch of different quotes that barely relate to what's on screen in the teaser.

Rymuth

*Venom is walking around Mother Base when he notices his men installing something in the corner*

"...."

"That's a pachinko machine. You ever play pachinko before, Boss?"

"....."

"It's pretty simple. The key thing is, the more money you give Konami, the more money you might make back."

"....."

"Never mind that, Boss. Did you know you can play MGS3 Pachinko, right here in Mother Base? Just use your real-life credit card to buy in-game tokens. They say the true nature of things will only be revealed by playing a lot of pachinko..."

"......"

*smash to black screen*

CHAPTER 3: HIT THE LEVER
Fixed it up for you.

I feel like Chapter 3 was probably planned as something larger very early in development. I don't believe for a second that MGSV was conceived from moment to have 90% of the unique content in Chapter 1, then replays and a couple of new missions in Chapter 2, then just a cutscene for Chapter 3.

I would love to see the original design doc for MGSV. I feel like it had to be so different to what the game ended up being.

Liamc723

Well, that clears things up, thanks for correcting me.

You're welcome.

Seeing as I elaborated just as much as you did in your defence of it only being "flawed", I don't think I need much detail either.

I have no idea how someone can compare V to the previous MGS games, and not see that TPP is a really bad MGS game.

I have no idea how someone can compare V to the previous MGS games, and not see that TPP is a really bad MGS game.

Because when you judge it by its own merits itself instead of bringing along your baggage of expectations it's a fantastic game. A flawed game, but a fantastic flawed game.

janoDX

You're welcome.

Seeing as I elaborated just as much as you did in your defence of it only being "flawed", I don't think I need much detail either.

I like this game more than the others. Because on merits alone it's amazing but flawed.

duckroll

I can't say I understand people who feel MGSV is a bad MGS game. I guess my perception of what a MGS game is just totally differs. It felt totally like a MGS game to me, and a damn good one. It is hardly perfect, but I'll say taken on a whole, MGSV is more of a MGS game to me than MGS4 was. The first chapter and the beginning of the final chapter in MGS4 were sooooo MGS. The rest... not so much.

Top Bottom