• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V 'Definitive Ex' listed by Amazon (Chapter 3?)

Haunted

It's a GOTY edition designed to 1) squeeze more out of the hardcore fans who need to have every version and 2) make it easier for those who have missed the game to get it all in one place.

Again, I think I'm just going to repeat what I said in another thread.

Why do people want chapter 3? What is it about the game that feels unfinished to you? As far as I'm concerned, the only missing element in the story is that unimportant sub plot resolved in the incomplete mission 51. Everything else in the story was wrapping up and drawing to a close. If you don't like the story, then whatever, nothing can help that. However, I don't think adding extra chapters is going to make the story better for you. Either you do like the story with the language parasites, the unfulfilling revenge tale, and the final twist...or you don't. Adding more isn't going make to make it better.

Personally, I was completely satisfied with the story in MGSV. Honestly, the only thing that feels missing in the story is the lead into the final mission. If they simply fixed that portion of the game and cut out the repeat bullshit at the end, then I would be 100% happy with the plot progression.

catbrush

Why do people want chapter 3? What is it about the game that feels unfinished to you? As far as I'm concerned, the only missing element in the story is that unimportant sub plot resolved in the incomplete mission 51. Everything else in the story was wrapping up and drawing to a close. If you don't like the story, then whatever, nothing can help that. However, I don't think adding extra chapters is going to make the story better for you. Either you do like the story with the language parasites, the unfulfilling revenge tale, and the final twist...or you don't. Adding more isn't going make to make it better.

Personally, I was completely satisfied with the story in MGSV. Honestly, the only thing that feels missing in the story is the lead into the final mission. If they simply fixed that portion of the game and cut out the repeat bullshit at the end, then I would be 100% happy with the plot progression.

I just want more. I loved MGSV even though it was disappointing in certain regards. An expansion that increases the scope of the world, narrative and gameplay would blast my ass off.

I just want more. I loved MGSV even though it was disappointing in certain regards. An expansion that increases the scope of the world, narrative and gameplay would blast my ass off.

Yeah, definitely, I would love more MGSV. It's currently my game of the generation so far. Being able to jump back into any new content would be an exciting endeavor.

However, a lot of people that disliked the story and/or the actual game seem to think their wishes will be resolved with the addition of an extra chapter. I don't see that happening. Either you like the game for what is tries to be, or you don't. Adding extra content to this 60+ hour adventure isn't going to change the core experience.

Why do people want chapter 3? What is it about the game that feels unfinished to you? As far as I'm concerned, the only missing element in the story is that unimportant sub plot resolved in the incomplete mission 51.

I wouldn't call that an unimportant sub plot lol, Liquid Snake and Psycho Mantis stealing a metal gear along with a biological weapon of mass destruction and flying off into the sunset isn't some small detail, that's a pretty goddamn huge thread to leave dangling.

There was the Code Talker "don't trust Kaz" scene that was obviously hinting at things to come that never came.

There were also the rumors that there was going to be more regions than just Africa and Afghanistan.

There was also the whole "Gee Snake isn't this Battle Gear thing going to be awesome?" "Snake come to my lab the Battle Gears done!....now sorry but you can only use it on dispatch missions"

There's a lot in MGS5 that screams "unfinished" so of course there's demand for the gaps to be filled.

I wouldn't call that an unimportant sub plot lol, Liquid Snake and Psycho Mantis stealing a metal gear along with a biological weapon of mass destruction and flying off into the sunset isn't some small detail, that's a pretty goddamn huge thread to leave dangling.

There was the Code Talker "don't trust Kaz" scene that was obviously hinting at things to come that never came.

There were also the rumors that there was going to be more regions than just Africa and Afghanistan.

There was also the whole "Gee Snake isn't this Battle Gear thing going to be awesome?" "Snake come to my lab the Battle Gears done!....now sorry but you can only use it on dispatch missions"

There's a lot in MGS5 that screams "unfinished" so of course there's demand for the gaps to be filled.

We know Liquid doesn't have Sally or the virus in MGS1, so It's not important. In the context of the entire saga, it's simply a missing plot element that doesn't matter all that much. In the context of just MGSV, it could be taken as a possible sequel tease hinting at MGS6.

The "Eyes on Kazuhira" is a hint of his future betrayal. This is resolved in the final conversation between Ocelot and Miller.

I believe KojiPro said there were going to be 4 main areas for MGSV (could be wrong.) That includes Camp Omega, Afghanistan, and Africa. The final environment was likely Kingdom of the Flies.

The Battle Gear thing is a disappointing gameplay tease, but that doesn't make it unfinished. I don't remember where, but I remember reading on the internet somewhere that said KojiPro couldn't make the Battle Gear feel fun or balanced in the open world. They decided to scrap the thing and save it for deployment missions. That speaks to me more of KojiPro scrapping content they don't want, not because they couldn't get it finished on time.

I agree that parts of MGSV feel unfinished. I just don't agree with fan theory that the game is missing big chunks. Some elements couldn't make it into the game on time, and that's a shame. The idea that an entire chapter is missing along with this bigger wealth of content just sounds rubbish.

SomTervo

If MGS V has mind fuckery in spades, where is it? I can only think of the intro.

- the Truth is mindfuckery of the highest order. It's the equal opposite of
the Raiden reveal and late-MGS2 story
in terms of mindfuckery
- this also has loads of associated mindfuckery -
'You failed the DNA match with Eli'
etc
- the Man on Fire reveal was pretty mindfuckey - as in who he is and how you defeat him
- the Boss AI from Peace Walker was mindfuckey -
along with Strangelove's corpse being in it
- the Paz arc was a completely wonderful mindfuck

Javin98

Banned

Like catbrush said, I just want more of the game too. I was completely satisfied with the story as well and even loved the ending. Missions 43 and 45 were also highlights of the franchise to me (battle segments aside in the latter). MGSV is my GOTY for 2015 and I hop back into the game once a week or so just to travel around the world doing side ops because the gameplay is so damn good. Basically, would I be satisfied if this is all? Yes. Would I like my content, though? Absolutely.

in terms of mindfuckery
etc
- the Man on Fire reveal was pretty mindfuckey - as in who he is and how you defeat him
Now watch as someone says these twists are not Metal Gear twists but bullshit twists because Kojima is George Lucas, LOL.

Batzi

Banned
in terms of mindfuckery
etc

This.

I agree with everyone that I want more content just because I love the gameplay. Being able to play GZ through TPP would be great though so that I didn't have to manually switch titles.

Batzi

Banned
I agree with everyone that I want more content just because I love the gameplay. Being able to play GZ through TPP would be great though so that I didn't have to manually switch titles.

Man the impact the game would have had if GZ was included as an episode prior to the Hospital prologue and iff everything was released at once. Would possibly be the best opening to any game. Dark prologue followed by another dark prologue.

Man the impact the game would have had if GZ was included as an episode prior to the Hospital prologue and iff everything was released at once. Would possibly be the best opening to any game. Dark prologue and another dark prologue.

Yeah that would have been fantastic!

What if chapter 3 was death stranding, you all were fooled. Konami spent all these years being monsters just to trick you so we could have a finished product!
there's a small part of me that wish that could be true

Arkanius

Man the impact the game would have had if GZ was included as an episode prior to the Hospital prologue and iff everything was released at once. Would possibly be the best opening to any game. Dark prologue followed by another dark prologue.

Ground Zero was one of the best parts of MGS:V and it's a shame we had it released with such a diference to the release date of The Phantom Pain.

Ground Zeroes was FANTASTIC. It had everything, the good story, the good locale, the good gameplay, the great cutscenes.

Here's to you, Nicola and Bart.

Ralemont

not me
in terms of mindfuckery
etc

Don't forget the Zero tapes

We know Liquid doesn't have Sally or the virus in MGS1, so It's not important. In the context of the entire saga, it's simply a missing plot element that doesn't matter all that much. In the context of just MGSV, it could be taken as a possible sequel tease hinting at MGS6.

The "Eyes on Kazuhira" is a hint of his future betrayal. This is resolved in the final conversation between Ocelot and Miller.

I believe KojiPro said there were going to be 4 main areas for MGSV (could be wrong.) That includes Camp Omega, Afghanistan, and Africa. The final environment was likely Kingdom of the Flies.

The Battle Gear thing is a disappointing gameplay tease, but that doesn't make it unfinished. I don't remember where, but I remember reading on the internet somewhere that said KojiPro couldn't make the Battle Gear feel fun or balanced in the open world. They decided to scrap the thing and save it for deployment missions. That speaks to me more of KojiPro scrapping content they don't want, not because they couldn't get it finished on time.

I agree that parts of MGSV feel unfinished. I just don't agree with fan theory that the game is missing big chunks. Some elements couldn't make it into the game on time, and that's a shame. The idea that an entire chapter is missing along with this bigger wealth of content just sounds rubbish.

i pretty much feel like this 99%.

Psycho/Liquid taking off w the Metal Gear is not a dangling plot thread imo. because they don't resurface until MGS1, where they are together again, and have a Metal Gear. not a big jump to imagine they repurposed Sahelanthropus.

Battle Gear honestly doesn't sound like a big deal. you can already send in tanks if you want.

i really like the two chapter structure of TPP, it feels like chapter 1 is building up the legend and chapter 2 is tearing it down. everything in chapter 2 has to do w deconstructing the legend, peeling away the layers, hence everybody leaving, hence the application of "anti-venom" right before the Truth mission becomes available.

Raitaro

What if Chapter 3 is actually Death Stranding and Kojima's leave and new company was all part of the most epic ruse afterall?

Sigh...

Edit: just beaten by Evil Monkey DDT - uncanny!

Dueck

Banned
Is Konami earning your trust back yet, guys?

No, but the returning warm embrace from SNK makes up for it.

I don't own MGSV right now, I couldn't get into it when it launched and figured I'd pick up a copy later on. This is ideal for me, even if it's missing content that should be there. Either I get a nice bundle or I get the base game for super cheap.

Konami has made so many bad moves starting with the PS2, I'm amazed they lasted this long. Oh, right, MGS and Kojima carried them to profits most of the time. Nothing like chasing off one golden goose and urinating on the other. Leave the geese alone Konami.

Bringing this full circle: Geese Howard is back and SNK is looking rad.

I was wholly satisfied by Chapter 1's story. Though I also enjoyed Chapter 2, it's less of a chapter and more of an epilogue without a Mission 51.

That said, I think the even greater reason is simply because people have seen the Mission 51 assets that were developed, and as a mission or even its own chapter, it looks pretty cool. It could basically a new zone where the 'combined might' of the Diamond Dogs -- all your soldiers, tanks, operating bases, etc -- are fielded and tested.

Which of course are delusions of grandeur considering how long Chapter 1 and 2 took to develop, so in it would probably be a mission more akin to Mission 28 or 30 than an even grander Chapter 2. But still, whether it's more story or gameplay, the 'epilogue' nature of Chapter 2 leaves you wanting more.

Yeah, having the prologue separate from the game itself did harm the final product. If you JUST bought MGSV, you really have no reason to hate Skull Face, as his worst stuff was in Ground Zeroes, I mean the Chico Tapes were just BRUTAL. It's not only a great opening, but if it was on the same disk, there could have been missions that brought you back to Camp Omega without much of a problem too. If the definitve version has them all on one disk, it just makes the whole package stronger.

Yeah, having the prologue separate from the game itself did harm the final product. If you JUST bought MGSV, you really have no reason to hate Skull Face, as his worst stuff was in Ground Zeroes, I mean the Chico Tapes were just BRUTAL. It's not only a great opening, but if it was on the same disk, there could have been missions that brought you back to Camp Omega without much of a problem too. If the definitve version has them all on one disk, it just makes the whole package stronger.

but in a large way GZ informed the final product, MGSV. the amputation of the game was probably a factor in writing the story of GZ (which is also the story of TPP).

it is fitting that they are two games because this fits into the narrative and meta narrative of MGSV. which ironically is an attempt to remake another amputation version of the 5th MGS, Peace Walker. phantoms of phantoms of phantoms.

Agree with this a lot... Not only for the Ground Zeroes mission but also it's Briefing mode.

MGS Peace Walker and Portable Ops are both so critical imo to setting up motivations for giving a shit about Mother Base or Diamond Dogs, and while the Briefing in Ground Zeroes cannot replace actually playing and becoming attached to those games (nor does it really brief MPO and Army's Heaven) but it at least sets up the context somewhat.

Konami representatives are posting on the Metal Gear Solid subreddit that they'll have a booth set up at Gamescom. Not sure it means anything for this Definitive Ex, but thought I would share for those interested.

KJPDev @ gamescom

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I didn't even pay attention to the story. It doesn't matter, it's not what makes the game good or fun. It's a great game purely by virtue of its mechanics.

Like, this is all hypothetical and has no chance of happening, but what if Konami did finish up Chapter 3 without Kojima, and it was really good?

Would they gain some goodwill, or would everyone still be #FucKonami

Unless they gave out chapter 3 for free, then why should they get any goodwill? We shouldn't be grateful for being sold an incomplete game and then being sold the missing content later.

Chapter 3 DLC?

I don't know what would have made up Chapter 3, but I do hope for additional content. I think that Phantom Episode will make its way into the package, if this truly is a Definitive Edition of some sort. The good news is that it doesn't look like we'll have to wait much longer to find out.

brau

Chapter 3 will come with the Neo + DE MGSV?
giphy.gif

Honestly I just want more story content. I don't even care if it's thrown together.

I had so much fun going through MGSV when it was new. I was surprised how much time I invested into it. I wish I could experience it for the first time all over again. Very few games make me feel that way.

To anyone who thinks Chapter 3 or a MGS3 remake is happening

I implore you to remove and sharp objects and belts from your area when you see that it's going to be nothing.

I'll pass if all they did was repackage existing content into a GOTY version but it would take very little added content to excite me for this. Like if they just added a total stealth and a subsistence version of every existing mission then I'm there on day one for $60.

Top Bottom