• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain PC performance thread

There are several cutscenes throughout the game that have single digit framerates for some period of time. One in particular must have been about a minute of sub 1 fps. This is on SLI GTX 980 tis. There was talk about the issue being caused by HBAO+ but others had similar issues without it. During these events GPU usage drops to like 1 or 2%.

There are several cutscenes throughout the game that have single digit framerates for some period of time. One in particular must have been about a minute of sub 1 fps. This is on SLI GTX 980 tis. There was talk about the issue being caused by HBAO+ but others had similar issues without it. During these events GPU usage drops to like 1 or 2%.

Yeah, it is extremely jarring....

Dropped effects to high and Quiet and other smoke/dust effects aren't occasionally killing my frame rate anymore, yay. Tried DSR and that still caused too many drops though. Didn't that work better before?

downsampling is your computer running the game at a higher resolution and then presenting the image at a lower resolution. If youre computer isn't cut for running the game at a higher resolution then you'll see framerate drops like you would if you were just running the game at that resolution and not downsampling.

Dries

Fair enough, but yeah, with this game in particular it can sometimes do that - either try alt-tabbing then opening the game up by clicking the icon in your taskbar or try flicking between borderless windowed and full screen to try and get it back into true full screen. It happened to me about 5 or 6 times in the first week or so with the game, I'm not sure if they patched it or I've just been lucky and not had it occur again.

Either way, if you want to confirm G-Sync is on, you can enable the G-Sync overlay in the NVIDIA control panel:

Then it should show up in games where it is working.

Holy shit. I didn't have knowledge of the indicator. Thanks!

downsampling is your computer running the game at a higher resolution and then presenting the image at a lower resolution. If youre computer isn't cut for running the game at a higher resolution then you'll see framerate drops like you would if you were just running the game at that resolution and not downsampling.

I know what DSR/downsampling is...

Jedi2016

I know what DSR/downsampling is...
I think he's trying to point out that DSR is probably the most power-intensive effect you can crank up, so if you're itching for performance, that's the last thing you want to be turning on and the first thing you want to turn off.

I think he's trying to point out that DSR is probably the most power-intensive effect you can crank up, so if you're itching for performance, that's the last thing you want to be turning on and the first thing you want to turn off.

And I realize that too, I've just been playing with settings to see where the wall is.

Xiraiya

Has anyone found a fix for DSR yet? The UI and everything is all distorted and fuzzy ever since one of the recent patches, I have to run the game in native instead, the Aliasing at 1080p is painful, I want my 1440p back.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Does Reshade work with MGSV?

I want to enable SMAA, since I'm playing at 1080p and the default is gross.

Also, to use HBAO+, do you have to disable the game's AO setting?

PS: Where can I find a complete list of this game's keyboard layout? I just started and can't find how to whistle to the horse. -_-

Naedtrax

Banned

Also, to use HBAO+, do you have to disable the game's AO setting?

PS: Where can I find a complete list of this game's keyboard layout? I just started and can't find how to whistle to the horse. -_-

Can't answer your first question but i can answer the others.

HBAO+ needs to be turned off in-game and turned on IN Nvidia control panel

As for calling the horse, you hold down Q to bring up the command wheel then press 2 to call the horse.

Xiraiya

Yeah it sort of does, but when I tried a setting with SMAA it didn't really look any crisper/smooth, it just loaded the game up with tricks and filters, and I just think well if you're not going to give me actual Anti-aliasing then I'm better off with the default, I'm yet to see MGSV screenshots that have proper AA without just being majorly scaled down from high resolutions.

Your best option is to play at 1440p or higher via DSR, 1440p has minor aliasing but it's MUCH nicer than it was at 1080p.

But there seems to be an issue where DSR hasn't been working quite well ever since the put out a patch made to fix borderless window mode or something, whatever they did the game no longer down-samples properly, UI and everything is all jagged and distorted looking.

hateradio

I'll try Reshade/SFX2 and if that doesn't do it, then I'll try DSR.

Can't answer your first question but i can answer the others.

HBAO+ needs to be turned off in-game and turned on IN Nvidia control panel

As for calling the horse, you hold down Q to bring up the command wheel then press 2 to call the horse.
Thanks!

Xun

Out of curiosity, what would the equivalent PS4 graphics be on PC?

I'm sure some of it is optimised for console of course, but I'm just curious as to how my setup compares.

Out of curiosity, what would the equivalent PS4 graphics be on PC?

I'm sure some of it is optimised for console of course, but I'm just curious as to how my setup compares.
PS4 and Xbox One fall very close to the PC's default settings, placing individual presets at either high or medium quality, making this setup perfect for more budget-orientated gaming rigs. The only change from the default mode is in two areas. Model detail on console is slightly worse than the PC's low setting, causing more pop-in across foliage and rocks. However, both PS4 and Xbox One appear to get volumetric clouds this time, allowing for rolling cloud shadows around the Kabul wasteland.

Resolution: 1920x1080 (or 1600x900 for Xbox One)
Vertical Sync: On
Frame-Rate: Auto (60)
Motion Blur: High
Depth of Field: Enabled
Model Detail: Low
Textures: High
Texture Filtering: Medium
Shadows: Medium
Lighting: High
Post-Processing: High
Effects: High
Ambient Occlusion: High
Volumetric Clouds: On
So why is it important for us to get a lock on these settings? In matching the PC version's presets to PS4 and Xbox One, we can transfer across the developer's chosen balance in terms of image quality and performance on an entry-level gaming platform. It's an excellent place to start for budget PCs, and a great base on which to scale for those with more capable rigs.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...best-pc-hardware-for-metal-gear-solid-5-on-pc

I can't decide between 1080 with everything maxed-out and HBAO+ or 1440 no HBAO+ and everything maxed out except effects of high.

decisions, decisions...

Moronwind

Banned
I'd recommend going for 1080p with HBAO+, the graphics just don't look right without it. Don't forget to disable the game's built in SSAO.

TitusTroy

can someone refresh my memory...what was that important graphics setting/feature that was in Ground Zeroes but removed from Phantom Pain?...something to do with lighting...

hateradio

You need to use ReShade 0.10.0 and if you do, it will crash on Alt+tab. Otherwise it works. I just use it to add a bit of sharpening to combat FXAA.
All you have to do is change the ReShade key to something else. It uses ALT by default, but it doesn't actually work.

I'm beginning to think that it does not affect the 3D plane at all. When you press that key in particular, it will draw everything in a basic format.

While I was messing with the SMAA setting, only the fonts got smoother. Everything else remained the same. Visual effects work, like curves and whatnot, but 3D objects weren't affected by SMAA.

It's unfortunate that the new versions don't work at all.

viveks86

I think that's it, Screen Space Reflection...has it been debunked?...is SSR in Phantom Pain?

Quoting him:

Actually... probably not... just applied differently.
BTW guys, I think i found normal SSR (and not just SSR limited to specific areas and scenes like the PS4 version).

You can see it in mother base. So those Konami screens were not lying... I just think they are harder to see in general because objects in this game are decidedly less glossy (no rain).
mgsvtpp_2015_09_01_230yoc4.png

mgsvtpp_2015_09_01_23zppie.png

EIther that, or they changed the ratio of gloss needed before SSR starts to pick up (another possibility).

Qassim

Been playing with the unlocked framerate - no game breaking or affecting issues - but I do notice animations are ever so slightly off when they loop around. It's very, very easy to miss so I wouldn't be surprised if people do miss it. I notice it particularly in the snake running and helicopter landing animations.

TitusTroy

Quoting him:

thanks for the info...I actually went back and looked at the GeForce tweaking guide for Phantom Pain and they updated it regarding SSR...

"September 7th Update: Having now played almost all of The Phantom Pain, we can confirm that reflections are only used in a few locations, typically under very specific lighting conditions, and are only viewable from select angles and distances...Furthermore, their quality is far below that of the reflections in Ground Zeroes, and they are always enabled regardless of the settings chosen, which is probably why they are of a lower quality

Ultimately, we'd much prefer Ground Zeroes' higher-quality reflections in the overworld, where'd they have a much larger impact on image quality; an unfortunate step backwards"

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain-post-processing

TitusTroy

can HBAO+ be enabled in the 'Global Settings' tab in the Nvidia Control Panel?...or does it only work when using the Phantom Pain profile within the 'Program Settings' tab?...I know you need to disable AO via the in-game settings and enable 'Quality' under Ambient Occulsion in the NVCP but am wondering if the 'Global Settings' work...I always use Global versus setting any game-specific profiles

Dogtooth

Banned
I'm pleasantly surprised to be able to play on max settings using my Lenovo Y50. It's kind of mind-blowing to have PS4-stomping performance on a reasonably priced laptop.

Dries

can HBAO+ be enabled in the 'Global Settings' tab in the Nvidia Control Panel?...or does it only work when using the Phantom Pain profile within the 'Program Settings' tab?...I know you need to disable AO via the in-game settings and enable 'Quality' under Ambient Occulsion in the NVCP but am wondering if the 'Global Settings' work...I always use Global versus setting any game-specific profiles

The game doesn't have in-game HBAO+? I didn't know you could force it in every game via the NVCP. I only thought HBAO+ was an option if and only when the game itself supported it.

But if you can force it for every game in the Control Panel, then wouldn't that be the most preferable choice for each and every game ever?

mjp2417

Banned
The game doesn't have in-game HBAO+? I didn't know you could force it in every game via the NVCP. I only thought HBAO+ was an option if and only when the game itself supported it.

But if you can force it for every game in the Control Panel, then wouldn't that be the most preferable choice for each and every game ever?

Unfortunately not all games support it. I would advise against setting it in the global settings tab as it apparently doesn't play nice with some games.

TitusTroy

the Phantom Pain in-game Ambient Occlusion setting uses SSAO...HBAO+ is Nvidia's proprietary tech which is much better from a graphics and performance standpoint and can only be enabled via a driver setting...

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...m-pain-nvidia-control-panel-ambient-occlusion

you can't force HBAO+ for every game...it's a driver profile that Nvidia created specifically for Phantom Pain

Playing on my

2400K i5 3.1GHZ(Sandy Bridge)
7870XT Tahiti LE
8GB DDR3

1080P/60fps with half xtra high/high settings.

Seems like a really good game engine. I hope they license it out.

poodaddy

I'm having a weird problem that just recently started occurring on both Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain. I'm getting one constant vertical tear in the middle-ish right part of the screen, regardless of V sync being on or not. I've tested on two different displays and the tear remains in the same place no matter what I do. I've tested many different graphics settings, turned off NVIDIA control panel HBAO and turned it back on, turned on and off V Sync, changed resolutions, ran in fullscreen and fullscreen borderless, nothing's working. This wasn't happening at all and the experience was absolutely perfect until I booted up Ground Zeroes again for a quick play yesterday; I noticed it happening on Ground Zeroes and it is now happening on The Phantom Pain as well. It's probably the weirdest graphical glitch I've ever seen. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do? It's not happening in any other games than Ground Zeroes and the Phantom Pain. It's extremely frustrating as I'm absolutely in love with the game, but I don't want to continue to play it like this.

Dries

Unfortunately not all games support it. I would advise against setting it in the global settings tab as it apparently doesn't play nice with some games.

the Phantom Pain in-game Ambient Occlusion setting uses SSAO...HBAO+ is Nvidia's proprietary tech which is much better from a graphics and performance standpoint and can only be enabled via a driver setting...

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...m-pain-nvidia-control-panel-ambient-occlusion

you can't force HBAO+ for every game...it's a driver profile that Nvidia created specifically for Phantom Pain

Cool. So it's just for TPP at this moment.

KainXVIII

Beta 1.008 has been released.

Changelist:

- Added Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK®4) support
- Fixed UI-related bugs

"DUALSHOCK" is a registered trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Not bad! Anybody tried?

Kezen

Banned
I wonder if Sony is really happy with their controller being supported in PC games, I thought they would try to restrict it to their PS ecosystem.

If more PC games natively supported a DS4 I might consider buying one to replace my nearly seven years old XB360 controller. I haven't used it a ton in that time but it kind of bugs me how the worn the left stick is, I miss those little bumps. :(

I wonder if Sony is really happy with their controller being supported in PC games, I thought they would try to restrict it to their PS ecosystem.

Don't think they care, Shuhei Yoshida mentioned that it'd work on PC before the PS4 launched.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

viveks86

Just a heads up but Reshade causes crashes in MGSVTPP. Only version that doesn't is the literal very first version, and even then you need to launch in a specific way to make sure it doesn't crash.

Its also really strangely been a huge performance drain, in a way that Reshade typically isn't.

Idk, its hard to recommend right now.

Yeah I tried it earlier and didn't bother.

So I've been playing since launch on PC, about 100 hours in, and was fine with the frame rate I was getting with the default settings-- always above 30, usually in the mid 40s range.

All of a sudden I boot up today and everything is running at a solid 60fps. I haven't changed a single setting, and I haven't upgraded my PC at all. I noticed it in the character loadout screen, then I did an FOB invasion and went to Africa with fraps on and sure enough, it's a consistent 57-60. I was marveling at how smooth the helicopter flight looked.

The only thing I could think of was that they patched the game... but I feel like that doesn't make any sense? I saw something briefly when I logged in today about them fixing some slowdown issues in the menus or something. Maybe an update changed the default settings? Has anyone else had this, um, strange pleasant surprise happen? I haven't noticed a drop in image quality otherwise, at all.

Naedtrax

Banned
So, i keep crashing whenever i set foot in a FOB.. this is really shit. Some guy stole 4 of my nukes and over 20 staff of mine, and i can't retaliate as i crash everytime.

Top Bottom