• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime vs. Zelda: Wind Waker

Phediuk

In the great tradition of NeoGAF vs. threads, I ask the following: which of these marquee action-adventure games released in 2002 by Nintendo for the GameCube did you prefer?

12131_front.jpg
12909_front.jpg

There can only be one.

Prime was 2002 and Wind Waker was 2003 in the US as I recall.

And Prime no question. Wind Waker is still by far the weakest 3D Zelda along with SS.

Zebei

Not big fan of Zelda, but Wind Waker has so much charm, and probably my favorite art style of anything ever. The Great Sea is Pretty fun.

But Metroid Prime is one of my favorite games of all time. Everything about it (except maybe one or two of those backtracks) is perfect or close to it for me.

Prime wins for me, without contest.

Pakkidis

I remember neogaf when it was discovered Prime was going to be First Person being made by an American company......epic thread..

Prime...easily one of the best games of that generation.

Wind Waker was great but obviously rushed compared to previous titles.

I remember neogaf when it was discovered Prime was going to be First Person being made by an American company......epic thread..

Prime...easily one of the best games of that generation.

Wind Waker was great but obviously rushed compared to previous titles.
Was neogaf a thing in 2002???

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Metroid Prime is probably the tighter designed game but The Wind Waker has so much more character and charm, so I'm probably leaning towards The Wind Waker on this one.

Prime for me. I was put off by the graphics going in to Wind Waker, but it eventually became one of my favorites. Prime on the other hand was everything I wanted from a modern Metroid game, start to finish.

They're both in my top 10 but I think Prime gets the edge because there's nothing else quite like it. Two of the best opening title themes ever too, and both games nail their vibe.

Pinky

Banned
I LOVE both games, but I would give the edge to Prime. An incredible game. Retro knocked it out of the park.

Neiteio

Definitely Metroid Prime. I remember the EGM platinum review said it felt like the best game from 10 years in the future fell through a time warp and landed in 2002. Pretty accurate statement.

Prime. It took the exploration aspects I loved about 2D Metroid games and added a bunch of lore to read through. I'm a sucker for lore. I like WW, but it felt pretty sparse in comparison to OoT and MM.

Definitely Metroid Prime. I remember the EGM platinum review said it felt like the best game from 10 years in the future fell through a time warp and landed in 2002. Pretty accurate statement.
Seeing how a Metroid game from 8 years in the future would set back the series a decade I think that EGM review was more correct than we thought.

Metroid Prime. No contest. Samus Aran at her best. Lore was interesting as well. Great music. Artifact hunting wasn't too bad either.

Wind Waker was very boring when sailing, tri-force hunting, or when the NPC's were yapping. Gameplay wasn't challenging at all. Artstyle was Power Puff girls with Zelda characters.

Again, no contest.

Aldric

Metroid Prime is on the same level as Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time when it comes to being a perfect adaptation of an iconic 2D series in 3D. TWW is just a far weaker OoT with a shiny new coat of paint applied to mask the cracks. It's a no contest really.

Wind Waker no contest. It's always been in my top 5 favorite games ever. I've got got such a big smile on my face while playing it every time. Games just loaded with magic, and charm. It also helps that WW-HD is probably my favorite "remake" ever.

tumblr_mtpi0pGwCs1sg7ixxo1_500.gif

czRhi.png

Firemind

Metroid Prime is one of the best games ever made in a series that is now considered dead.

Wind Waker got an HD remake recently with faster sailing and shit.

I think we all know who the winner is.
T-T

Neiteio

Wind Waker, while infinitely charming, felt like a shadow of OoT (sparser dungeons) and MM (weaker sidequests).

Metroid Prime, on the other hand, was some mind-expanding stuff. Landing on Tallon IV or entering Phendrana Drifts for the first time are moments of the same caliber as your first time exploring Peach's Castle in SM64 or entering Hyrule Field in OoT.

Funny, i have these 2 games and I just started playing Metroid Prime yesterday and was thinking about making a lttp thread about it!

Basically, I'm really terrible with the controls of this game. Is it really not possible to move forward and shoot at the same time? Is it only possible while locking in to enemies?

I am thinking i should pick up the Wii remake instead because i loved the controls in Metroid Prime Corruption.

Both are wonderful games but Metroid Prime feels like a very complete product and Wind Waker always unfinished, unrealized even, despite a beautiful art style and charm.

Metroid is the clear winner.

Top Bottom