• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime vs. Zelda: Wind Waker

Metroid Prime, it's not even a contest. Wind Waker's entire appeal is its overambitious scope concerning maritime exploration. Once you see how vastly undercooked that concept is in relation to the final product, to say nothing of the piss-easy dungeons and cut corners, its no wonder the game nearly killed the franchise upon its initial release in Japan.

I'll take Tallon IV any day of the week.

rtcn63

If I were to replay today- Wind Waker. I know to upgrade the wallet so I can carry enough rupees for the triforce piece maps.

I can't deal with the first/third-person aiming controls of the GC era. There are people who love it, but I need non-inverted dual sticks / m/kb. Scanning is also something I never want to revisit.

Finding missile/power bomb expansions and energy tanks is the same as finding maps and triforce shards that don't do anything?
Yeah, let's not pretend that missile upgrades are any more exciting than finding like purple rupees. At most I'll give you they're as exciting as heart pieces. And that's when you're actually finding that stuff, there's a lot of just walking in Prime between areas. Like sailing in Zelda.

That being said, it might be time to break out the old trilogy. It's just a shame Prime 3 seems like trash garbage compared to the first two when it's actually pretty good on its own.

Kindekuma

Banned
Finding missile/power bomb expansions and energy tanks is the same as finding maps and triforce shards that don't do anything?

The artifact hunt I always felt were a way of picking up any scans and power ups before the final fight(s). Zelda's Triforce Shard Hunt was a labor in of itself where you had to find the charts, then find the money (if you didn't have much at the time) to decipher all of them, THEN go out and dig them out of the water. Not really finding heart pieces or upgrades along the way. That's more of a pain in my ass than going around the various areas finding artifacts that give you hints of where to find them right at the beginning of the game.

Siegmeyer

The GameCube was my first foray into Nintendo gaming, and so Prime was my first Metroid game and WW my first Zelda game. I thought Prime was amazing but I fucking adored WW. It felt less like a game and more like an epic interactive cartoon. The sailing and triforce stuff never bothered me, I loved every minute in that world.

However, having now replayed Prime multiple times thanks to the Trilogy as well as WW remastered, I'm gonna have to go with Prime, but only just. Both are incredible games though.

Aldric

Come on dude, Prime is amazing but backtracking in that game is just as if not more boring than sailing.

No, it's nowhere close. The amount of backtracking in Prime is exaggerated, the interconnected level design is so good you seldomly have to retread ground if you know the map well. TWW on the other hand has some of the slowest, most boring traversal of any Nintendo game. When l played the HD version last year l thought it was boring even with the swift sail. l shudder to think how it was in the original version, good thing l don't remember.

No, it's nowhere close. The amount of backtracking in Prime is exaggerated, the interconnected level design is so good you seldomly have to retread ground if you know the map well. TWW on the other hand has some of the slowest, most boring traversal of any Nintendo game. When l played the HD version last year l thought it was boring even with the swift sail. l shudder to think how it was in the original version, good thing l don't remember.
I think that's a pretty big exaggeration, plus you can warp. And Prime only feels that fast once you already know the game haha

Zebei

Metroid Prime even wins in the soundtrack department. Wind Waker has a great soundtrack like any Zelda game, but Prime's soundtrack is just...

So. Fucking. Good.

I'm happy you included Phendrana Drifts. I don't contractually need to hate you.

One of my favorite songs in all of gaming. Top 3 at worst.

One of the hardest questions I've ever faced on GAF. I think edge goes to Wind Waker for me. Visually and emotionally I was more attached. Metroid Prime is still in my top 3 of the GCN generation.

Mael

Hmm....
What a hard choice!
My favorite Metroid game or my least liked Zelda game?
Metroid Prime

Adaren

WW is my favorite 3D Zelda, but Prime was just ahead of its time. Both games have an effortlessly crafted tone that draws the player in, but Prime's silent world building and seamless quality (all the more surprising given its rocky development) put it ahead in my mind.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I actually quite like WW, but there is no contest because Prime is the GOAT.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Next on GAF, which Nintendo fighter is better? Punchout or Urban Champion?

Metroid Prime needs a better challenger, at least a good game.

Diffense

Prime was so good it made me like a First Person Shooter (err FPA). IMO, it and Echoes are close for the best Metroid games since Super.

Menitta

Next on GAF, which Nintendo fighter is better? Punchout or Urban Champion?

Metroid Prime needs a better challenger, at least a good game.

Wind Waker easily.

Why are we comparing these?

Hmm....
What a hard choice!
My favorite Metroid game or my least liked Zelda game?
Metroid Prime

This is so unfair to wind waker that it feels dirty.

MP is legit one of the top 10 greatest games ever made.

Wind Waker by a mile, and I think Metroid Prime is a good game.

One of the best reimaginings vs. the worst Zelda

There's only one good game here, so its easy: wind waker

XE5ql6k.gif

Neiteio

Fighting Meta-Ridley in the Chozo Temple and shooting at him as he flies around like you're some kind of anti-air turret was just amazing.

zma1013

Our primitive human caveman-like dialect is not adequate to properly describe the achievement that is Metroid Prime.

Wind Waker is just a decent 3D Zelda with a charming cartoon aesthetic but some big flaws and in my opinion, a wasted Ocean setting. FFS, there's no fishing minigame? In the Ocean? The fuck?

If you had compared Twilight Princess with Metroid Prime I'd have had a more difficult time deciding, but as it stands, it is easy for me: Metroid Prime...any of them

That final battle against Ganondorf in Wind Waker is one of the finest pieces of gaming ever... but the rest of the game isn't as good. Metroid Prime is incredible. If someone named it the best game of all time I wouldn't correct them (I would if they said the same of Wind Waker).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The Citizen Kane of videogames. Obviously. Still as magical today as it was 15 years ago, aged pretty well too all things considered, especially the model-work. I mean, Wind Waker is a pretty fucking close second. The Gamecube was an amazing system, god damn. Two awesome Metroid games, two awesome Zelda games, shit was on fire

Gitaroo

The prime trilogy is that one that need HD remaster really bad, not any of the zelda games. Nintendo had it all wrong.

Metroid Prime reminds me of one of my all-time favorite movie, Alien.

So that one, it actually reminds me a bit of the Eurogamer "walking Simulator" article, except you have free range in this one to explorer. Its completely different games, yet I don't why i keep comparing the two

Edit: Wind Waker is my Favorite Zelda Game tho.

Prime, it has a wonderful sense of atmosphere, was a great transition into 3D for Metroid and still has incredibly looking environments.

Wind Waker, as great as it is, is building off the N64 games.

Toxi

Banned
Metroid Prime, by roughly 8 million miles.

Wind Waker is beautiful, but otherwise not a very good game. Sailing is boring, most of the islands are tiny with nothing going on, dungeons are scarce and the ones that are there aren't very good, stealth dungeon, combat is painfully easy thanks to the insta-win A counter, there's not a single particularly clever puzzle in the entire game, and last but not least, there's the goddamn Triforce hunt in the middle of the game that completely destroys all momentum the game may have had up to that point.

Whereas Metroid Prime is high quality pretty much all the way through. The artifact hunt at the end is admittedly not great and probably the weakest part of the game, but it's not nearly as egregious as Wind Waker's Triforce hunt.
It's ironic how the best part about Wind Waker is the thing everybody complained about when the game was first revealed.

The prime trilogy is that one that need HD remaster really bad, not any of the zelda games. Nintendo had it all wrong.

Metroid Prime Collection for NX launch

1. Audio and visual improvements
2. Online multi-player modes for all three games
3. Metroid Prime Hunters Remastered included
4. Metroid Prime Pinball Remastered

It'll be glorious

Our primitive human caveman-like dialect is not adequate to properly describe the achievement that is Metroid Prime.

Wind Waker is just a decent 3D Zelda with a charming cartoon aesthetic but some big flaws and in my opinion, a wasted Ocean setting. FFS, there's no fishing minigame? In the Ocean? The fuck?

Nor anything else that would make the sea interesting.

Firemind

That final battle against Ganondorf in Wind Waker is one of the finest pieces of gaming ever... but the rest of the game isn't as good. Metroid Prime is incredible. If someone named it the best game of all time I wouldn't correct them (I would if they said the same of Wind Waker).
WW Ganondorf's battle is overrated. Prime's last boss trumps it in my opinion, especially with the Phazon Beam. More satisfying than the head stab since it's just a cutscene while the Phazon Beam is an actual badass moment.

Top Bottom