• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime vs. Zelda: Wind Waker

I don't know what magical world you lived in where both of these games came out in the same region in 2002. Metroid Prime came out in NA in 2002 and Japan in 2003; Wind Waker came out in Japan in 2002 and NA in 2003.

What I'm saying is, there's no need for a competition. Let's love them both equally.

KevinCow

Banned
Metroid Prime, by roughly 8 million miles.

Wind Waker is beautiful, but otherwise not a very good game. Sailing is boring, most of the islands are tiny with nothing going on, dungeons are scarce and the ones that are there aren't very good, stealth dungeon, combat is painfully easy thanks to the insta-win A counter, there's not a single particularly clever puzzle in the entire game, and last but not least, there's the goddamn Triforce hunt in the middle of the game that completely destroys all momentum the game may have had up to that point.

Whereas Metroid Prime is high quality pretty much all the way through. The artifact hunt at the end is admittedly not great and probably the weakest part of the game, but it's not nearly as egregious as Wind Waker's Triforce hunt.

ChaosXVI

I love Wind Waker, but Metroid Prime is my favorite game ever made. It's absolutely no contest for me. Prime is king. Truly one of the best games there will ever be.

Toxi

Banned
Metroid Prime exploration: Finding every nook and cranny of carefully designed and incredibly detailed unique rooms.

Wind Waker exploration: HOPE YOU LIKE SAILING THROUGH A BIG EMPTY OCEAN

Metroid Prime easily. Wind Waker is a good Zelda game, but to me, it's hard to top Prime, which is, IMO, the best game of that generation. Prime and its sequels are truly special games, and there aren't many games period that come close to their quality.

Metroid Prime would be a perfect game if Retro hadn't forgotten to add an escape sequence at the end. Alas it's only 98% perfect.

Wind Waker is basically an early Assassin's Creed style game with all the same lack of fun problems that those games suffer from. Tried replaying it on WiiU, but gave up after it shut off automatically and I returned to find out that Nintendo didn't add autosave to the port.

Anth0ny

This is stupidly hard, but the Zelda fanboy in me has to give the edge to Wind Waker, the most beautiful looking game ever made. But it's soooooooooooooooooooooooo close, both games are absolute all time classics.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Guys Wind Waker is straight up my favorite Zelda, especially after WWHD. It's lighting in a bottle. Open your hearts to the truth.

Firemind

This is stupidly hard, but the Zelda fanboy in me has to give the edge to Wind Waker, the most beautiful looking game ever made. But it's soooooooooooooooooooooooo close, both games are absolute all time classics.
tumblr_o3n12cR1Xf1vnx6d2o1_500.png

Menitta

Guys Wind Waker is straight up my favorite Zelda, especially after WWHD. It's lighting in a bottle. Open your hearts to the truth.

Alright...the truth is...I have failed to finish that game 4 times.

Also, we're not counting the remakes, are we? Cuz then the Trilogy stomps WWHD even harder.

Yogg

I don't know what magical world you lived in where both of these games came out in the same region in 2002. Metroid Prime came out in NA in 2002 and Japan in 2003; Wind Waker came out in Japan in 2002 and NA in 2003.

What I'm saying is, there's no need for a competition. Let's love them both equally.

OP didn't mention regions so I guess he's still right.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
As I'm sure everyone else has told you by now, Wind Waker was 2003. At least in the US.

Anyway, Metroid Prime is absolutely the better game. Better atmosphere, better pacing, and really no bloat. Even the quest to get a bunch of keys at the end works, because it provides you an opportunity to discover all kinds of new shit once you have all the power-ups.

Wind Waker, as much as I love it, doesn't feel even remotely as focused. And it's got a few dumb things, like the stealth sequence. Wind Waker's key quest feels more like busywork than Prime's, because it doesn't have the advantage of you being able to discover cool new stuff you couldn't get to before, in most cases.

pablito

I wasn't going to answer since I haven't played Prime. I can't explain my lack of interest in Metroid, it's just the way it is. But Wind Waker is getting whooped and I gotta help it out a little. My favorite Zelda and one of my top 10s.

Wind Waker.

Metroid Prime. It's not even a matter of me thinking Wind Waker is a bad game, it's fantastic. But Metroid Prime is as good as it is at all points. Wind Waker's first dungeon is a stealth dungeon. It sucked, but it absolutely utilized sneaking around in barrels and dodging lights and sidling and crawling and shit.

Nothing else in the game leads off from that. The Forsaken Fortress is the worst dungeon in the series because it essentially says "this is what The Wind Waker is", only to go on and contradict itself every time. Nothing you do in this dungeon is teaching you things for later. Compare it to, say, OoT - we learn about using Deku Sticks to burn webs and light torches. We learn about having to aim at targets. We learn about shielding, we learn about combat, etc. In Wind Waker, the dungeon is almost all stealth (or at least swordless stuff), and as such, you don't really learn many of the shit you need to know until Dragoon Roost Cavern.

As I'm sure everyone else has told you by now, Wind Waker was 2003. At least in the US.

Anyway, Metroid Prime is absolutely the better game. Better atmosphere, better pacing, and really no bloat.
Even the quest to get a bunch of keys at the end works, because it provides you an opportunity to discover all kinds of new shit once you have all the power-ups.
Wind Waker, as much as I love it, doesn't feel even remotely as focused. And it's got a few dumb things, like the stealth sequence. Wind Waker's key quest feels more like busywork than Prime's, because it doesn't have the advantage of you being able to discover cool new stuff you couldn't get to before, in most cases.

This too.

Kindekuma

Banned
Metroid Prime.

Not even a contest, it's one game out of many that I've played that I consider to be "perfection". Wind Waker is still good, don't get me wrong. But man, I'd give anything to experience the first playthrough of Prime again.

doemaaan

I loved the new direction they took with Zelda for WW as it still holds a special place in my heart, but Prime was kind of a new (and fantastic) experience for me at the time. I think Prime takes it by the edge here.

Kindekuma

Banned
Not really a flaw. And, I mean, it does kill dudes pretty quick.

I use them against hordes of Beetles and War Wasps. Also really good against Baby/Adult Sheegoths.

Super Missiles are great 1v1 weapon, when you're out in the open.
Wave Busters for 1v1 but dodging multiple enemies and attacks
Flamethrower for 1v many, not practical in a 1v1 situation but will clear out a wide area
Ice Spreader is the goat, the true king. Kills everything and anything, useful for every situation, the swiss army knife of fucking up foes.

Metroid Prime exploration: Finding every nook and cranny of carefully designed and incredibly detailed unique rooms.

Wind Waker exploration: HOPE YOU LIKE SAILING THROUGH A BIG EMPTY OCEAN
Come on dude, Prime is amazing but backtracking in that game is just as if not more boring than sailing.

Toxi

Banned
I use them against hordes of Beetles and War Wasps. Also really good against Baby/Adult Sheegoths.

Super Missiles are great 1v1 weapon, when you're out in the open.
Wave Busters for 1v1 but dodging multiple enemies and attacks
Flamethrower for 1v many, not practical in a 1v1 situation but will clear out a wide area
Ice Spreader is the goat, the true king. Kills everything and anything, useful for every situation, the swiss army knife of fucking up foes.
The best part about the Ice Spreader is
using it to freeze Metroid Prime and then blowing it away with a missile.

Griss

Wind Waker is one of the most charming and frankly shocking games I've played. (Seriously - cell shading and a massive ocean? i can barely believe it 13 years later).

But it's prime. Prime easily. One of the top 10 games ever made, a proper masterpiece. The combat / shooting doesn't hold up well, everything else is just masterful.

Top Bottom