• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime vs. Zelda: Wind Waker

Wind Waker has more pacing flaws, and some meh patches of gameplay, but I still prefer it to Metroid Prime. They're both classics, but Wind Waker is the best Zelda, and Metroid Prime isn't even the best Metroid
Super Metroid kicks the shit out of it in terms of pacing, controls, gameplay, level design, and arguably atmosphere
. Wind Waker's exploration, visual style, and dungeons are stunning. The soundtrack is the best in the Zelda series, and that is saying something. Metroid Prime has less flaws than Wind Waker, but I feel like the highs are so much lower that I still prefer Wind Waker.

Edit: Metroid Prime isn't in my Gamecube top 5. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Super Smash Brothers Melee, The Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker, F-Zero GX, and REmake are all games I like more.

Funny thing is, I'm actually playing through both of these again on the Oculus Rift using DolphinVR and it is FUCKING MINDBLOWING. Both games work and run 98% native IMO. I haven't touched these games since I completed them upon release and this is the most fun i've had in VR so far. It's not even close.

Oh my God i didn't know this was a thing. Now i NEED VR.

Yeah seeing Islands go from small stuffs to less small stuffs sure is more exciting than discovering a vast plain after going through a forest /s

OoT, MM certainly are more interesting to explore even as n64 games against the vast nothingness of WW.
The most interesting parts of WW's overworld is never the islands and always the small stuffs floating or the floating towers that always gives less interesting rewards than the shitty ruppees tp gave you.

The more we talk about it the happier I am to having skipped that remake, not like they could have changed the major issues with the games anyway.

Pfft, I could understand just hating TWW's overworld, but doing so while treating OoT's overworld as interesting is a lark :v OoT was awesome because it was a landmark game. Nowadays, the overworld is needlessly large, crossing it is tedious even with the horse, and there's nothing to do in it except go to places. Compare it with ALttP and Wind Waker as far as how their overworlds operated: ALttP had shit to do along the way, and had lots of little secrets littered around the overworld. On your way to Zora River is a Potion Shop, on your way to Kakariko is a mysterious grove, on your way to the Desert is a sewer system, etc. OoT entirely abandoned that. To be fair stuff like Zora River is really a part of Hyrule Field, but you can't just put all of your destinations as paths leading away from Hyrule Field. We need more Lon Lon Ranches, placed smack dab in the middle of the field. At least OoT has an excuse - TP copied its formula a little too well, and had just as stagnant a world. With TWW, while the shit you were finding wasn't as exciting as it could be in theory, it was way better than OoT. In TWW you could find islands with neat little mini-dungeons (such as the egg island place that you can visit on your way to Dragon Roost Island), you can find divers, you can find Big Octos and Fairy Fountains, and every portion of the map has a fish that teaches you about the specific area you are in. OoT's has holes in the ground.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
It's really weird.

Bought my GameCube with these two packed in, and was much more excited for Prime, because it's moe my style of game.

That said, I eventually finished Windwaker, but despite trying on the Cube, and again on the Wii with the trilogy, I've yet to finish Metroid Prime.

I really want to. An HD rerelease on the NX would possibley make me go back and give it a college try again.

Or maybe I'll see how the Dolphin version runs.

mikeyvids

Neo Member
Prime was better than Wind Waker, Twilight Princess & Skyward Sword in my opinion, though I enjoyed those games as well.

I hope the next Zelda changes that for me.

Mael

Pfft, I could understand just hating TWW's overworld, but doing so while treating OoT's overworld as interesting is a lark :v OoT was awesome because it was a landmark game. Nowadays, the overworld is needlessly large, crossing it is tedious even with the horse, and there's nothing to do in it except go to places.

I didn't say OoT was interesting today, I said it was more interesting regardless.

Compare it with ALttP and Wind Waker as far as how their overworlds operated: ALttP had shit to do along the way, and had lots of little secrets littered around the overworld. On your way to Zora River is a Potion Shop, on your way to Kakariko is a mysterious grove, on your way to the Desert is a sewer system, etc. OoT entirely abandoned that. To be fair stuff like Zora River is really a part of Hyrule Field, but you can't just put all of your destinations as paths leading away from Hyrule Field. We need more Lon Lon Ranches, placed smack dab in the middle of the field. At least OoT has an excuse - TP copied its formula a little too well, and had just as stagnant a world. With TWW, while the shit you were finding wasn't as exciting as it could be in theory, it was way better than OoT. In TWW you could find islands with neat little mini-dungeons (such as the egg island place that you can visit on your way to Dragon Roost Island), you can find divers, you can find Big Octos and Fairy Fountains, and every portion of the map has a fish that teaches you about the specific area you are in. OoT's has holes in the ground.

You have mini dungeons found in grottoes in TP like in WW.
it's rather similar in that there's not that much interesting stuffs to find (no longer the case with the collectables added in TPHD btw) and it's largely negative empty space.
Except in 1 case you have a field with landmarks and actual geometry, in the other it's largely just waves after waves after waves.
We could discuss about about the encounters you find in WW too, mostly pointless foes that pose no threat and you have to kill once to get a meaningless reward.
Which isn't interesting because fighting on a both is shite on WW, at least in TP you can climb off your horse and dispose of them sword in hand (or the arrows work too or one of the other items...).

The fish with the maps and the trivia are the most pointless replacement of the sheika rocks it's not even funny. It's never fun to search for them, it's never fun or interesting reading what they said.
They were pointless like half the islands in the game and only there for bored completionists.

The overworld is actually better in Phantom hourglass and that one is really small because at least you don't have to deal with the BS of WW like that horrible boat gameplay.

Aldric

God l forgot how terrible boat combat was. These sections where you have to navigate through maze-like islands to bomb other boats or defensive turrets were the pits.

Toxi

Banned
God l forgot how terrible boat combat was. These sections where you have to navigate through maze-like islands to bomb other boats or defensive turrets were the pits.
Man, boats on the Gamecube sucked.

7dApcZc.png

14 years later I'm still pretty bitter that Metroid Prime is one of the only games to ever give me motion sickness. It was bad enough that I wasn't able to make it far when it released, as well as years later when I tried again. Wind Waker by default, but I'm OK with that since it's my favorite Zelda since Ocarina.

What a strange topic. The two aren't really comparable because they're so different (but equally brilliant).

As much as I adore Metroid Prime, though, if I was forced to choose... The Wind Waker by a mile. Not because Metroid Prime is "worse," but because The Wind Waker is just so exceedingly brilliant, gorgeous, daring, and innovative.

There's a reason The Wind Waker is my third-favorite game of all time. :) Both games are masterpieces, though.

Menitta

14 years later I'm still pretty bitter that Metroid Prime is one of the only games to ever give me motion sickness. It was bad enough that I wasn't able to make it far when it released, as well as years later when I tried again. Wind Waker by default, but I'm OK with that since it's my favorite Zelda since Ocarina.

Man, that's the worst. I feel so bad for you. Poor one out.

Phediuk

This is more of a wash for Prime than I was expecting.

Can't complain, though, since I confess I am on Team Metroid myself.

MoonFrog

Prime. I like Metroid at its best better than Zelda at its and I like Zelda a lot. Moreover, Prime is one of the best Metroids and Wind Waker is a good game but not Zelda at its best.

Neifirst

Metroid Prime is just about a billion times better than Wind Waker, and Metroid Prime 2 is better than both for Sanctuary Fortress and 3D screw attack.

Funny enough, I bought both of these games at the time I bought a GameCube. They were the two best games I ever ended up owning on that console.

Metroid Prime is a top 5 game ever made for me. Wind Waker is a great game, but it's not in the GOAT discussion.

ozfunghi

Mind says Prime
Heart says Windwaker

I could really relish in how great Metroid Prime was built, how you progressed, the sense of isolation. But Windwaker would bring a smile to my face. When i hear the theme of outset island i get tears of joy in the corner of my eye. I'm not lying.

Metroid Prime is just about a billion times better than Wind Waker, and Metroid Prime 2 is better than both for Sanctuary Fortress and 3D screw attack.

Don't worry. The ambulance is on its way. Stay concious.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wind Waker is the worst 3D mainline home console Zelda and Metroid Prime is a legit contender/tie for the best in its series.

Wind Waker was one of my favorite Zelda's, but it's painfully obvious that it was rushed to completion and omitted some crucial dungeons.

Metroid Prime is a fully realized game so I give it the edge despite Wind Waker having the best characters and world building out of the series.

Neff

Even though Zelda is a god tier franchise in my eyes, I can't argue the case that Wind Waker is a better game than Metroid Prime, because it just isn't.

If Wind Waker had ever gotten finished by Nintendo though, it'd probably take the vote.

Wind Waker is the worst 3D mainline home console Zelda

Were it not for Majora's Mask, I'd agree with this.

Acerac

Banned
Wind Waker was the first Zelda I didn't care enough to bother beating. Up til that point it was my favorite series of all time.

Prime on the other hand was fucking incredible. There is no contest here.

Top Bottom