• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime vs. Zelda: Wind Waker

Menitta

Metroid Prime Collection for NX launch

1. Audio and visual improvements
2. Online multi-player modes for all three games
3. Metroid Prime Hunters Remastered included
4. Metroid Prime Pinball Remastered

It'll be glorious

I'd buy an NX for that. I don't care how many times, I'll double dip for Metroid Prime for eternity.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
That final battle against Ganondorf in Wind Waker is one of the finest pieces of gaming ever... but the rest of the game isn't as good. Metroid Prime is incredible. If someone named it the best game of all time I wouldn't correct them (I would if they said the same of Wind Waker).
You mean the part were you have to press the win button, which you avoided using the whole game to try to make it somewhat challenging, three times to defeat a boss? Yeah, one of the finest pieces of modern gaming right there.

Made worse by the fact that there is a whole video of Ganondorf (spoiler!) beating the shit out of Link, just before the easiest boss fight ever. Completely anti climatic.

Gusy

I think Prime's original dev team is the only team that could match Naughty Dog in the technical and gameplay department today.

Prime is indeed one of the greatest game ever made... maybe the best.

Do yourself a favor and read or watch Greg Kasavin's gamespot review of Prime. It puts the greatest game reviewer of all time together with perhaps the greatest game of all time. It's eye opening..

Mael

I am not buying Metroid Prime Trilogy in the store, I already have the Wii disc!
You're not making me do that again gaf!

G.ZZZ

Prime is a great game, but it is artistically conservative. The better game, for sure. But still, a perfect recipe of masterfully rethreaded paths.

But Wind Waker? Wind Waker is literally the second coming. The beauty and joy that game express are unparallaled, especially given the rather depressing story. It's aesthetical perfection for Zelda. It's a bold direction that displeased made many fans, it's a jump in the nothingness. It's a new visual genre, an unabashed innuendo of forms, an existence that justify itself with his audiovisual experience.

You may not like WW the game, but Wind Waker is certainly a giant of art in a landscape of bland experiences that can't speak to the heart.

Wind-Waker-Deku-Leaf1.jpg

Zebei

Metroid Prime Collection for NX launch

1. Audio and visual improvements
2. Online multi-player modes for all three games
3. Metroid Prime Hunters Remastered included
4. Metroid Prime Pinball Remastered

It'll be glorious

Day 1 NX.

Too bad dreams only last for so long before you wake up.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I obviously love WW, but Metroid Prime could be the best designed game of all time. I love WW more, but I couldn't argue that it's a better game then Prime.

I think Prime's original dev team is the only team that could match Naughty Dog in the technical and gameplay department today.

Prime is indeed one of the greatest game ever made... maybe the best.

Do yourself a favor and read or watch Greg Kasavin's gamespot review of Prime. It puts the greatest game reviewer of all time together with perhaps the greatest game of all time. It's eye opening..
I wouldn't put NG as in best gameplay department. It's the one aspects where I think they can do much better.

illadelph

Everything about WW makes me happy - the art style, the music and sound, the sailing, and the Zelda gameplay that we all know and love.

That said, Prime is even better; it's one of the greatest 3D games ever crafted.

Toxi

Banned
Prime is a great game, but it is artistically conservative. The better game, for sure. But still, a perfect recipe of masterfully rethreaded paths.

But Wind Waker? Wind Waker is literally the second coming. The beauty and joy that game express are unparallaled, especially given the rather depressing story. It's aesthetical perfection for Zelda. It's a bold direction that displeased made many fans, it's a jump in the nothingness. It's a new visual genre, an unabashed innuendo of forms, an existence that justify itself with his audiovisual experience.

You may not like WW the game, but Wind Waker is certainly a giant of art in a landscape of bland experiences that can't speak to the heart.

Wind-Waker-Deku-Leaf1.jpg
So basically, "I like Wind Waker because it's pretty."

Poyunch

Wind Waker tickles my fancry more but I acknowledge Metroid Prime might be a better iteration in its series than Wind Waker was.

Ultimadrago

I tried twice to get into Metroid Prime and its combat/progression bored me to death. I wouldn't even put it in the Top 10 Gamecube titles. (New) La Mulana, a little indie title, came years and years later to give me a much more fulfilled adventure than Prime ever did.

That said, my time with Metroid Prime was at least much better than my time completing Twilight Princess, the other Gamecube Zelda title.

Toxi

Banned
I tried twice to get into Metroid Prime and it bored me to death. I wouldn't even put it in the Top 10 Gamecube titles. (New) La Mulana, a little indie title, came years and years later to give me a much more fulfilled adventure than Prime ever did.

That said, my time with Metroid Prime was at least much better than my time completing Twilight Princess, the other Gamecube Zelda title.
I can't hate you because La Mulana is fucking amazing and one of my favorite games.

(But seriously, how do you get bored with Metroid Prime? It's an extremely well-paced game.)

Mael

TWW has the best 3D overworld

Fuck that!
Boring shit with nothing except tiny plot of lands here and there, encounters tiredly expected with the most predictable layouts and the most boring way to hide hardware limitations ever.
Even less interesting towns to visit than MM (and I mean in number because Clock Town is majestic).
Fucking Ice and Fire island because being predictable extends beyond dungeons in this game.
Probably the worst overworld I had the displeasure of going through after the absurd shite that was Skyward Sword. If you can even call that crap overworld.

Menitta

Fuck that!
Boring shit with nothing except tiny plot of lands here and there, encounters tiredly expected with the most predictable layouts and the most boring way to hide hardware limitations ever.
Even less interesting towns to visit than MM (and I mean in number because Clock Town is majestic).
Fucking Ice and Fire island because being predictable extends beyond dungeons in this game.

Yeah, 90% of the overworld is literally nothing.

Aldric

Fuck that!

TWW has some of the worst locales in any Zelda game.

Wow we're going to the Forest island now??? l can't wait to see how huge the forest is and what secrets it contains!

Oh it's actually a small cave with the fucking Deku tree in the middle, a potion shop and absolutely nothing else ok cool.

jnWake

I don't see why you would even compare these two games but I'd incline for WW since I played it on 2002 and makes me feel nostalgic. Prime is great too though.

Fuck that!
Probably the worst overworld I had the displeasure of going through after the absurd shite that was Skyward Sword. If you can even call that crap overworld.

Nah yo :v See 3D Zeldas always have such shitty overworlds, and traversing them ultimately is just a big ol' pain. At least Wind Waker - especially in HD - lets you settle in while you explore. And while the islands often prove to be less exciting than they could be, the neatness of seeing an island approaching is awesome.

N.Grim

Metroid Prime is an incredible game, one of the best ever made, but Wind Waker is magic for me, there is something special about it that I can't explain.

Menitta

Nah yo :v See 3D Zeldas always have such shitty overworlds, and traversing them ultimately is just a big ol' pain. At least Wind Waker - especially in HD - lets you settle in while you explore. And while the islands often prove to be less exciting than they could be, the neatness of seeing an island approaching is awesome.

Couldn't disagree more. That feeling of settling on an island was fun for the first three dungeons. Same with the feeling of seeing an island in the distance. At first, you're like "I can go there! AMAZING!!" but half way through the game, you're like "Ugh, I gotta sail all the way over there..." That's sidestepped with fast travel, but that takes away the settling feeling even more.

Mael

Yeah seeing Islands go from small stuffs to less small stuffs sure is more exciting than discovering a vast plain after going through a forest /s

OoT, MM certainly are more interesting to explore even as n64 games against the vast nothingness of WW.
The most interesting parts of WW's overworld is never the islands and always the small stuffs floating or the floating towers that always gives less interesting rewards than the shitty ruppees tp gave you.

The more we talk about it the happier I am to having skipped that remake, not like they could have changed the major issues with the games anyway.

Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game ever, it has some of the best art direction I've ever seen in video games, I've replayed it more times than I can count. I was there on launch day after hyping myself up on the master quest pre-order bonus for months, played it for hundreds of hours, defended it to all the skeptics who hated the toon style. I loved it from the moment I saw it announced while elsewhere heads exploded over the drastic change from the Zelda tech demo. I still pick it up from time to time, both before and after the HD remake was released.

but really, Metroid Prime and it's not even close.

zma1013

Couldn't disagree more. That feeling of settling on an island was fun for the first three dungeons. Same with the feeling of seeing an island in the distance. At first, you're like "I can go there! AMAZING!!" but half way through the game, you're like "Ugh, I gotta sail all the way over there..." That's sidestepped with fast travel, but that takes away the settling feeling even more.

Another issue is that after a little while with the game you realize there is exactly 1 point of interest in each square on the map, typically a small island, and the sense of discovery and adventure dimishes because of it. I kept wondering if I'd discover a larger island taking up multiple squares or like one side of the map is land or something, but nope, just 1 tiny island per square.

Mael

Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game ever, it has some of the best art direction I've ever seen in video games, I've replayed it more times than I can count. I was there on launch day after hyping myself up on the master quest pre-order bonus for months, played it for hundreds of hours, defended it to all the skeptics who hated the toon style. I loved it from the moment I saw it announced while elsewhere heads exploded over the drastic change from the Zelda tech demo. I still pick it up from time to time, both before and after the HD remake was released.

but really, Metroid Prime and it's not even close.

Master Quest was really, REALLY awesome.
The best surprise gift this side of "Finished with Johto? Here's Kanto to explore again"(and I never played GSC or HGSS)
the toon style was divisive but actually very, very good.
It suffers also from the WW soundtrack syndrome : the soundtrack is awesome but not when you play it if that makes sense.
The same happened in SS which I feel was a major step down after TP(which the internet hated because of shitty compression)

Now the game part....I don't have nice things to say so I won't say anything.

Funny thing is, I'm actually playing through both of these again on the Oculus Rift using DolphinVR and it is FUCKING MINDBLOWING. Both games work and run 98% native IMO. I haven't touched these games since I completed them upon release and this is the most fun i've had in VR so far. It's not even close.

Menitta

Funny thing is, I'm actually playing through both of these again on the Oculus Rift using DolphinVR and it is FUCKING MINDBLOWING. Both games work and run 98% native IMO. I haven't touched these games since I completed them upon release and this is the most fun i've had in VR so far. It's not even close.

Metroid Prime in VR...

op9PWrr.jpg

I might have to get an Oculus now...

moozoom

Wind waker by a mile.

I liked metroid prime and it's a surprising good adaptation of metroid gameplay and atmosphere to the fps genre... BUT

Wind waker art style is timeless and it's the first 3d Zelda game in which Link became a likable character for me. The facial expressions and the way he reacts to the world with little animations made me feel empathy for him for the first time since Link's Awakening and its cute little chibi illustrations.

I played and liked the previous Zelda games, but I liked the puzzles and gameplay more than the main character which I always found bland.

When I first saw the trailer of WW, I felt an immense hype because it felt like after all those years, you could finally really play with a interactive cartoon. And not like Dragon"s Lair - it was a real game with a world you could explore. When I turned to the internet and saw the tears and the madness of people shitting on the visuals and demanding a REAL zelda, I couldn't believe my eyes. A few years later, and most people made a 180, saying the game was great after all...

I admit the triforce quest and the "missing dungeons" put a dent in the overall quality of WW, but Metroid Prime had weird difficulty spikes, and some moments that I really disliked. The end boss was super hard and it soured the experience a bit for me. I hate fps usually, but the exploration and atmosphere made up for the shooting bits that I didn't care for. Still, if you ask me my favorite games, there's no chance that Metroid prime finishes in the list, I wouldn't even think of it. WW would be in top ten.

Toxi

Banned
I admit the triforce quest and the "missing dungeons" put a dent in the overall quality of WW, but Metroid Prime had weird difficulty spikes, and some moments that I really disliked. The end boss was super hard and it soured the experience a bit for me.
But it's the final boss, being hard should be expected. It's the last challenge the game throws at you.

Top Bottom