• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS 2: Substance: Where Can I Buy It New (PS2)

JB1981

I just beat MGS 3: Subsistence (God, what a game) and now I'm on an MGS kick. I've been scouring the net looking for MGS 2: Substance but I can't seem to find it 'new' anywhere. I hate buying used stuff, but I guess I'll have to if it comes to that. But before I do, I figured I'd ask some GAFers where I might be able to find it New. Thanks, guys!

JB1981

Gribbix said:
That's used.

Unfortunately it's very unlikely that you'll find a new copy of MGS2:S PS2. I had a difficult time finding one and that was before MGS3 was released.

Argh! Well, Gamestop.com is showing that some stores here have it (likely used). Maybe I'll just buy it used tomorrow. I hate icky, sticky, grimey used stuff, though. :lol

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
what're the added features over the original again?

I remember when sealed copies of the PS2 version of Substance went for insane amounts of money. These days I think the prices have settled somewhat. My suggestion would be to go for a used copy, but screen them for condition (scratches, etc). Most people on ebay are generally compliant if you tell them you're a collector.

BigBoss

mattiewheels said:
what're the added features over the original again?

Theres like 300 VR missions, 150 alternative missions which involve eliminating every guard in an area, defusing a certain amount of bombs, holding up a certain amount of guards, and a mode in which you have to photograph a certain scene. There are also 5 Snake Tales which take place on the Tanker and the Plant that are alternate universe/what if stories where Snake is the playable character. Theres also a boss battle mode and a casting theatre which allows you to change the character models for certain scenes, for example you can have an old lady slicing up the Navy Seals. The PS2 version also has the crappy skateboarding mini-game.

BigBoss

JB1981 said:
Is there a 1st-person mode or something too?

Yeah, its in a couple of the VR Missions. I think there are like 5 missions that are purely played from a first person perspective, the controls suck beyond imagination. Pulling off the first place times for those missions was so frusterating.

The core game itself is also remixed slightly (new dogtag setup, and I think a couple of new replay items. And I think euro extreme difficulty was added?)

Also; if you have a save file from Document of MGS2, every VR mission is unlocked, but the game still keeps track of your completion percentage from zero (translation: good and helpful.)

Top Bottom