• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS: Snake Eater 3DS - New Trailer [Update Rumor: Delayed?]

infinityBCRT said:
Because that requires money that this port won't make back.
Because it is a cheap, lazy port now.
sfried said:
sfried said:
Kojima should be more hands on with this project.
The guy has attention deficit disorder (ADD) he can't focus on anything by this point, just look at the stuff he's saying he's doing/he's trying to do.

- Metal Gear Rising
- New Fox Engine
- Metal Gear Solid 3 3DS tech demo
- Metal Gear Solid 3 3DS cheap port
- Metal Gear Solid 4 PS Vita tech demo
- Metal Gear Solid 2, 3 and Peace Walker HD ports
- New Zone of the Enders
- God known what else picked his interest today

Of course he can't really focus on making anything right.

sfried said:
Kojima should be more hands on with this project. I really want the game to be able to showcase 3DS capabilities much like he likes showcasing features on a Sony hardware.

StreetPass support!
If they see efforts of other companies as being fruitious when they actually do make an effort then I don't see why they wouldn't invest on it.

Its wishful thinking. Reality is 3DS hasn't been selling well, 3DS controls aren't suited for a game like this, and the HD Collection version is the one that most people will get. And even that isn't a lock to sell well IMO. Theres way too many good games coming out in November. Would've made much more sense for them to hold off these HD Collections until next June/July/August when nothing was coming out and they would be able to tie it into the anniversary as well.

Also, you don't automatically make more money by spending more time on a project. If the world worked like that then we'd always see companies spend more time on projects like this, because above all else, these companies care about money. These guys have a budget which is based on a projection of expected sales.

Lesiroth

lostinblue said:
sfried said:
The guy has attention deficit disorder (ADD) he can't focus on anything by this point, just look at the stuff he's saying he's doing/he's trying to do.

- Metal Gear Rising
- New Fox Engine
- Metal Gear Solid 3 3DS tech demo
- Metal Gear Solid 3 3DS cheap port
- Metal Gear Solid 4 PS Vita tech demo
- New Zone of the Enders
- God known what else picked his interest today

Of course he can't really focus on making anything right.

Kojima seems to make you bitter. Mentioning tech demos is a pretty weak argument if you ask me, since tech demos aren't projects you continue to work on once they've been shown.
If you condense your list, it comes out like this:
- Rising
- Fox Engine
- MGS 3DS
- New ZOE? (Has it been even confirmed?)

infinityBCRT said:
The HD Collection version is the one that most people will get.
Of course, because they shot their own game.

Not only it's "just" MGS3 on a portable going against a bundle of MGS games, they're also making it look worse and worse (and a worse effort) every day that passes.

Of course the informed consumer won't be suddenly full of faith in the product. We had it, at one point.
infinityBCRT said:
And even that isn't a lock to sell well IMO. Theres way too many good games coming out in November
Oh it will, it's Metal Gear Solid.

I agree with the last part though, they would have been wiser keeping it under wraps for a while longer, wait till they released the 3DS game and sold a few units (most "hardcore" sales are done within the first few months anyway) and only afterwards announce a port.

They wouldn't have killed their product that way.

Lesiroth said:
- Rising
- Fox Engine
- MGS 3DS

... and Kojima is not really actively working on Rising. Fox Engine is the project hes focusing on right now. KojiPro itself is just a bigger company now so they can handle more projects at once.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Eh... am I getting this right?

1. The 3DS gets near (?) perfect PS2 ports (Tales of).

2. The 3DS gets near (?) perfect Wii ports (One Piece).

3. The 3DS gets competent PS360 ports (SSFIV).

4. The 3DS gets incredible new games (RE: Revelations) that visually are much closer to current than last gen titles (RE5 vs RE4), shiny shaders and all.

5. The 3DS gets all that and more in 3D as launch window/first gen titles.

And one shoddy PS2 port is enough for people to go all "lolz shitty hardware can't even handle PS2 games" and argue for pages while ignoring 1.2.3.4.5.?

Well, lol.

Lesiroth said:

Kojima seems to make you bitter. Mentioning tech demos is a pretty weak argument if you ask me, since tech demos aren't projects you continue to work on once they've been shown.
- Rising
- Fox Engine
- MGS 3DS
I'm not bitter, I'm expressive. One has to be expressive to make a point across in the internet.

New Zoe has been teased to no end (and now they are even teasing ZoE 3DS apparently)

Tech demos and ports count as long as they're being done in-house. The guy is clearly stretching out too thin to have control over anything/being able to do proper deliveries of the projects he was involved at first. And MGS 3DS was one of those at first.

Resources are not infinite, and a brand has to be taken care of with care. Kojima doesn't seem to understand neither of that, to me.

You're free to disagree, but I'm still not pleased by this port. Less and less, tbh.
infinityBCRT said:
... and Kojima is not really actively working on Rising. Fox Engine is the project hes focusing on right now. KojiPro itself is just a bigger company now so they can handle more projects at once.
They're just stretching themselves too thin. Which was my point, thanks. Because they're still the same entity, Kojima stands for them all and mgs 3ds at least was his brainchild. Until he dropped it into a gutter.

They started doing this one as they wanted, properly; and using the hardware, again, properly. Halfway they realized they had way too much on their table, and they proceeded destroying the quality of the initial production and now they've taken that a few steps further; does that mean they're very competent, that they have good planning or that they're all over the place? to me there's just one answer, they're all over the place (and IMO, they've been for a while; MGS:Rising wasn't shown at E3 for a reason I insist, seems like it's having problems taking form). And do you think this is a isolate case?

I doubt it.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Re:M is a much better looking "realistic" (not cartoony) game than what we are seeing here. And you can play it right now. And yes, is a low budget rushed game that clearly cuts corners in some places.

I don't think he's even actively working Rising or MGS3D. Whenever they've been talked about (post announcement) it's always been Shigenobu Matsuyama (Rising) or Yoshikazu Matsumana (MGS3D) doing the presentation/interview/etc.

lostinblue said:
They started doing this one as they wanted, properly and using the hardware. Halfway they realized they had way too much on their table, and they proceeded destroying the quality of the initial production. And do you think this is a isolate case?

I doubt it.
The initial "production" was not a game. It was a tech demo created from scratch using the Peace Walker engine to see what the system could do, and at that point they hadn't even decided if they were going to do MGS3 for 3DS yet. They didn't even know what the project would be. Once they decided to do it for real, their goal became porting over the PS2 version and not remaking the game from scratch... because remaking the game from scratch would be insane as they'd never make back the money on it.

infinityBCRT said:
The initial "production" was not a game.
Initially they said:

- What was shown at E3 was a sample
- Konami could bring it to market, but can't say one way or the other
- Feedback will influence how Metal Gear turns out on 3DS, will help bring it out
- At the moment it's based on Metal Gear Solid 3

They also said it could turn into another game altogether. But by "at the moment it's based on Metal Gear solid 3" they're referring to the demo that was supposed to evolve into a game, not promote a port that doesn't share a line of source code with it.

Shortly after E3, they announced they were developing it further and released a trailer, this was september 2010 and that 7 minute trailer was based on the E3 version, which was what they were promising. There was plenty footage of MGS3 PS2 otherwise.

Only recently at E3 2011 did we discover they started porting the game as is instead, which wasn't implied at all previously, and clearly wasn't their intention at first. Otherwise they wouldn't have announced the game being greenlighted with a spanking trailer that looked taylor made platform (and different than the PS2 original) when they only intended to port the PS2 game. not so.

Promising that and then backtracking if anything is a sign of incompetence in itself, planning went wrong? it would give more work than expected? their fault, they were the one's who proposed it and in the end implied/promised it, and we; consumer, reverberated confident and intention of purchasing a good and much improved looking MGS3, not a port.

To after downgrading it into a mere port, downwatering it and batch converting stuff was just taking the thing a notch further. It's a lack of respect on their account, and yes; incompetence.
infinityBCRT said:
It was a tech demo created from scratch using the Peace Walker engine to see what the system could do, and at that point they hadn't even decided if they were going to do MGS3 for 3DS yet.
Again, when they decided they released a trailer of the E3 version. Just so we could expect a direct and lazy port :D
infinityBCRT said:
They didn't even know what the project would be. Once they decided to do it for real, their goal became porting over the PS2 version and not remaking the game from scratch... because remaking the game from scratch would be insane as they'd never make back the money on it.
They're not as innocent as you're trying to make them out to be.

They must have known the expectation was that they were doing MGS3 with a proper new look, they proposed it and the public liked.

Now they could have done the MGS3 with that treatment, as expected and as implied or have used the tech demo to build a new game.

They chose neither, and instead did a port that it's showing up to be quite lame.

Something wen't wrong, sure… And unrealistic goals have to be readjusted but then someone is at fault and that's certainly not the consumer. They're professionals, not us, and they totally utterly failed in judging their resources and capability of doing something properly.

BurntPork

Banned
Alextended said:

4. The 3DS gets incredible new games (RE: Revelations) that visually are much closer to current than last gen titles (RE5 vs RE4), shiny shaders and all.

And one shoddy PS2 port is enough for people to go all "lolz shitty hardware can't even handle PS2 games" and argue for pages while ignoring 1.2.3.4.5.?

Well, lol.
neogaf_dude.gif

watershed

Banned
I will say this about konami: IF, and that's a big IF, the hinted at ZOE 3ds is an all new game made from the ground up for the 3ds, and not a port or shuffled off to some intern to make, then all will be forgiven with this bad port of MGS3.

Myansie

Boney said:
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but could it just be like PS2 was hard to code and they're converting that directly to 3DS so it's not an optimal recreation of it? Thus leading to this poor scenario?

This makes a lot of sense. OoT was only running at 30 frames per second with a few more polygons and sharper textures. If you read the Iwata asks for the port they talk about using alot of the same code from the N64 version. Here we are with MGS3 a whole generation ahead and on a notoriously complicated platform to program for. It makes sense that the 3DS would be getting bogged done with all the coding short cuts.

BurntPork

Banned
Myansie said:
This makes a lot of sense. OoT was only running at 30 frames per second with a few more polygons and sharper textures. If you read the Iwata asks for the port they talk about using alot of the same code from the N64 version. Here we are with MGS3 a whole generation ahead and on a notoriously complicated platform to program for. It makes sense that the 3DS would be getting bogged done with all the coding short cuts.
Source?

Also, all Zelda games since TWW run at 30FPS. That doesn't mean that it couldn't run at 60FPS if they wanted.

Myansie

Yeah, I meant the PS2.

As for the frame rate, if the console could run the game at 60 without a problem, wouldn't that have made the development easier? In the Iwata asks they talk about all sorts of problems caused because of the frame rate change from between 15 and 25 to the 3DSs 30. 60's a multiple of both 15 and 20, and 25 would squeeze in a little more comfortably, so your key frames and everything would transfer over much more smoothly. I don't see how the norm for Zelda development comes into it. It's a port not an original title. 60 frames per second isn't going to hurt the gameplay. Maybe it is a steadfast standard, it strikes me as a bit weird though and it doesn't really negate what Boney's said.

I think Boney's making a good point. Moving the code strikes me as a much more likely explanation for the 30 FPS than a 30 fps Zelda standard. Particularly when looking at these MGS3 screens.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Very disappointing shots. What on earth are they doing?! As the game was originally coded for PS2 (which is very unique architecture), I'm not surprised that porting is a bit challenging, but I AM surprised that the textures, of all things, took a massive hit.

I think m3d10ns post nailed it, it looks like they've decided to cheap out on the capacity of the cards or something, in spite of the previous story we'd seen saying they'd been allowed to use a 4GB card.

"What are they doing?" is exactly how I feel about it.

Do it properly or don't do it at all Konami! This is my favourite game in the series, and I'd love a 3D handheld version, but not if they're gonna be lazy cheapasses about it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
BurntPork said:
Ah. Okay. But my point about 30FPS being the norm for Zelda stands.
I think with OOT3DS they were just lazy. They had to tweak every animation in the game to make them look smooth in an engine that runs at 30. Now I don't know anything about animating but my (weird and strange) logic tells me they'd have to do twice the work to re-do the animations for 60 FPS.

Isn't Skyward running at 60? IIRC it does :D

Loonz

To release such a lousy effort is pointless. Konami, please, cancel this unless you're going to be serious about remaking this game for the 3DS. As of now, with the existence of the HD compilation of Metal Gears, this lazy port of MGS3 has even less sense.

BurntPork

Banned
Easy_D said:
I think with OOT3DS they were just lazy. They had to tweak every animation in the game to make them look smooth in an engine that runs at 30. Now I don't know anything about animating but my (weird and strange) logic tells me they'd have to do twice the work to re-do the animations for 60 FPS.

I'm not great with seeing frame rates, but SS seems to still be 30FPS to me.

What's with all the negativity around here? Don't forget that this is the only way you can play this great game on a handheld! It's not like MGS HD is playable on Vita or anything.

ryan-ts

Father_Brain said:
What's with all the negativity around here? Don't forget that this is the only way you can play this great game on a handheld! It's not like MGS HD is playable on Vita or anything.

Would you like to buy me a Vita?

Alextended said:

Well, lol.
Tales of the Abyss isn't a near perfect port, the battles only run at half the framerate.

FlashbladeGAF said:
does kojima delaying the release give hope that he's actually trying not to be completely lazy about the port?

he's more likely trying to let the shitstorm fade away, only to return x1000 when the game is released and gets 7.0'ed all around

ShinNL

Easy_D said:

Animation data usually isn't 30 or 60 fps. Any missing frame is interpolated to make it smooth.

It's like everytime Konami releases a new screenshot the game looks worse, by next time it's gonna look like the NES series.

This thing will bomb hard, might as well cancel, delay or try something else, because at its current state nobody curs.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
FlashbladeGAF said:
does kojima delaying the release give hope that he's actually trying not to be completely lazy about the port?
I doubt Kojima has much to do with this :p

PSGames

Myansie said:

I could be wrong and someone please correct me if so but it's my understanding that a 30fps game on the 3DS means it's actually being rendered at 60fps so it can send 30fps to each eye? That's why some games let us switch to 60fps when the 3D is off.

StuBurns

Banned
It depends what you mean by frames. If you count left and right eyes as separate frames, there are 60fps, but they are shown at the same time, so it's really 30fps.

It's not like 'normal' 3D when you alternate frames.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
StuBurns said:
It depends what you mean by frames. If you count left and right eyes as separate frames, there are 60fps, but they are shown at the same time, so it's really 30fps.

It's not like 'normal' 3D when you alternate frames.
Couldn't they alternate the frames with this method too without it being noticable? Might it enable them to push better graphics if they essentially half the frame rate like that?

radioheadrule83 said:
I think m3d10ns post nailed it, it looks like they've decided to cheap out on the capacity of the cards or something, in spite of the previous story we'd seen saying they'd been allowed to use a 4GB card.

"What are they doing?" is exactly how I feel about it.

Do it properly or don't do it at all Konami! This is my favourite game in the series, and I'd love a 3D handheld version, but not if they're gonna be lazy cheapasses about it.
isn't a 4GB flash pretty damn cheap? I believe lots of vita games will require at least 4GB. Or maybe it is Nintendo forcing them not to use it?!

Top Bottom