• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS: Snake Eater 3DS - New Trailer [Update Rumor: Delayed?]

BurntPork

Banned
Massa said:
Sorry for the bad joke. :(

The 3DS is what it is. It was outdated from the day it was released, people have to accept it and move on.
Right, because we've seen absolutely no evidence that 3DS is capable of way better graphics than this.

You have got to be kidding me. Go back to the Vita thread.

Massa said:
A middle end device doesn't run at 400x240, that's what the PSP did 7 years ago.
sigh.

2 times 400x240 (3D mode) plus a 320x240 screen.

3DS

(800x480)+(320x240)=556800 pixels

PS Vita

960x544=522240 pixels

It's actually doing handling more pixels albeit sure, the bottom screen is often used just for menu antics.

My 1999 PC did Quake 3 at 1024x768 what does that make of PS Vita? Hey it has less resolution, nevermind the fact that I could count vertices.

You're no fun. (and full of misconceptions)

3DS is quite middle-end for the mobile sector in general, it's not "ZOMG, end of the line GPU" (which would help drain the battery, mind you) but it is a capable gpu with lots of built in features and good enough horsepower.

Otherwise you wouldn't be seeing it pulling "next gen" engines such as Framework MT and "next gen effects", something that you're not seeing on PSP, PS2 or even the Wii. Note: I hate the term "next gen", just using it for impact here. It's not in the same ballpark PSP is.

It's quite a respectable piece of hardware for what it is, a middle end closed platform solution.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
lostinblue said:
It's not the hardware's fault.

You know that for a fact do you?, you really think this game could look a lot better provided the extra work was put into it?, I'm not saying it couldn't be improved upon, but by how much? I think some of you guys are expecting way too much out the hardware, I've grown to really enjoy my 3DS, I'm loving OOT but the art direction in OOT goes a long way towards smoothing over the basic polygonal graphics in the game, I'm highly doubtful we're going to see any graphically impressive games on the 3DS based on realistic environments/art direction tbh, some of you are citing that the 3ds is like a hand-held GC but the GC is a decade old next month, a decade!, all I'm saying is try to make the games around the hardware rather than the other around.

lostinblue said:
sigh.

2 times 400x240 (3D mode) plus a 320x240 screen.

3DS

(800x480)+(320x240)=556800 pixels

PS Vita

960x544=522240 pixels

It's actually doing more pixels albeit sure, the bottom screen is often used just for menu antics.

My 1999 PC did Quake 3 at 1024x768 what does that make of PS Vita? Hey it has less resolution, nevermind the fact that I could count vertices.

You're no fun. (and full of misconceptions)

That is a ridiculous argument, I'm sure it was you that was trying to argue this point in another thread.

M3d10n

lostinblue said:
I see, why recompressing it with such an aggressive algorithm then?
S3TC actually looks better than 8-bit and 4-bit textures (except in extreme cases).

Also, I'm not even sure the 3DS GPU supports palettized textures, since GPU makers have been dropping this feature since 10 years ago because it's a pain the ass to support, hardware-wise (color data is stored separate from pixel data).

lowrider007 said:
You know that for a fact do you?, you really think this game could look a lot better provided the extra work was put into it?, I'm not saying it couldn't be improved upon, but by how much? I think some of you guys are expecting way too much out the hardware, I've grown to really enjoy my 3DS, I'm loving OOT but the art direction in OOT goes a long way towards smoothing over the basic polygonal graphics in the game, I'm highly doubtful we're going to see any graphically impressive games on the 3DS based on realistic environments/art direction tbh, some of you are citing that the 3ds is like a hand-held GC but the GC is a decade old next month, a decade!, all I'm saying is try to make the games around the hardware rather than the other around.
Your argument falls apart when you base it entirely on a N64 port that was meant to stay as close as possible to the original visual style.

We have Tales of Abyss and One Piece, as example, which are far more competent ports of games from last-gen hardware. And low budget stuff like Pirates Of the Caribbean which look better than its Wii counterpart. So why shouldn't it be able to handle another PS2 game?

If you try to take MGS3 and shrink it down for 4.8GBs to 2GBs (or maybe even less!), it would look like ass even on the Vita.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
lowrider007 said:
The last Revelations footage looked pretty impressive in its own right.

lowrider007 said:
You know that for a fact do you?
When it's looking this bad? well, yes.

I'm not the only one here thinking that. Even Kojima productions has shown they can do so much better on the hardware
lowrider007 said:
you really think this game could look a lot better provided the extra work was put into it?, I'm not saying it couldn't be improved upon, but by how much? I think some of you guys are expecting way too much out the hardware
Have you seen the original demo?

metal-gear-solid-snake-eater-3d-the-naked-sample-20100615000503867_640w.jpg

PS2? not.
lowrider007 said:
I've grown to really enjoy my 3DS, I'm loving OOT but the art direction in OOT goes a long way towards smoothing over the basic polygonal graphics in the game, I'm highly doubtful we're going to see any graphically impressive games on the 3DS based on realistic environments/art direction tbh, some of you are citing that the 3ds is like a hand-held GC but the GC is a decade old next month, a decade!, all I'm saying is try to make the games around the hardware rather than the other around.
OoT is a good re-tooled 13 year old classic but you really think it's pushing whatsoever?

It looks really good for what it is but come on.
lowrider007 said:
That is a ridiculous argument.
Not as ridiculous as the original and uninformed argument, I insist.

Pulling 400x240 on a 3DS (with 3D and an extra bottom screen) is not the same as pulling 480x272 on a single PSP screen.
lowrider007 said:
I'm sure it was you that was trying to argue this point in another thread.
I didn't post here in the last few months.

I find it amusing that you guys call my arguments ridiculous but don't really know how to argue against them, you just class it as ridiculous, at least I take my time to argue with arguments.

sfried

M3d10n said:
Really, when they first showed the Naked Sample I was actually expecting a game with less content (a re-imagining of sorts), because it would be impossible to remake the entire 4.8GB game at that level of quality without increasing its size (due all the added normal mapping and better models), specially when it was announced that 3DS cards would be 2-4GBs.
And here's where I'm hoping a delay would help. Like the DS, I'm hoping they'd size up cart capacity sizes rapidly, so it wouldn't be a stretch to get to 6-8GBs for premium titles in a years time.

Still, I hope Konami is looking at Capcom's MT framework engine intentively for inspiration. Part of me thinks the reason why Capcom can make any game look great no matter what hardware is that they have such talented artists.

BurntPork

Banned
lowrider007 said:
Facedesk.jpg

I'm not going to bother repeating what has already been said.

lowrider007

BurntPork said:
Facedesk.jpg

I'm not going to bother repeating what has already been said.

Try actually reading my post and giving an informative reply instead of posting a picture of me responding to yours.

Jesus, Nintendo threads are serious business.

What's there to respond to? You're trying to make some ridiculous claim that the 3DS can't handle a faithful PS2 port just because ONE dev has shown that they aren't capable of it. You ignore the fact that there are ground up build 3DS games that look better than said failed port and than most of the PS2 library. There's nothing else to say. It's a lazy port. Anyone with common sense can look at the numerous other better looking 3DS games and realize this. Anyone can see the earlier demo, running in realtime on the 3DS, which looked MUCH better and realize this

Here's a pic from another 3DS game. Notice how it looks better? Because this is what the HW is capable of

idx8E6ev3.gif

BurntPork

Banned
lowrider007 said:
Try actually reading my post and giving an informative reply instead of posting a picture of me responding to yours.

Jesus, Nintendo threads are serious business.
I was about to, but everything I had planned on saying had already been said, so I just thought "screw it."

M3d10n said:
S3TC actually looks better than 8-bit and 4-bit textures (except in extreme cases).
Rightfully so, but the source here is 8-bit/4-bit textures so it won't magically look better (but no one is asking for that from the moment they dropped the plan of improving the game past porting it/of course they won't redo them).

S3TC is lossy and all that, but it didn't have to look like that. If they weren't batch converting they could cut here and there on stuff that we wouldn't even notice, or barely notice (farther objects for instance) whilst not compressing as much the red bricks in a case by case scenario of trying to squeeze it but keeping detail where it's absence is most noted.

Red'ish tones are known to be very sensitive towards compression. I often have to tone down jpeg compression when great amounts of red are present, for instance.
M3d10n said:
Also, I'm not even sure the 3DS GPU supports palettized textures, since GPU makers have been dropping this feature since 10 years ago because it's a pain the ass to support, hardware-wise (color data is stored separate from pixel data).
Makes sense, thanks.
sfried said:
And here's where I'm hoping a delay would help. Like the DS, I'm hoping they'd size up cart capacity sizes rapidly, so it wouldn't be a stretch to get to 6-8GBs for premium titles in a years time.
I doubt we'll see carts that big being used on a regular basis.

I mean 4 GB's sure, but above that… We've just gone through a generation with the Wii where theres 5 games (to my knowledge) that are dual layer, SSBB, Metroid Prime Triology, Sakura Taisen V, Metroid Other M and Xenoblade Chronicles PAL version.

I can't picture more than a dozen games using an 8 GB cart on the 3DS.

I don't think lowrider007 is purposefully being a "troll" so to speak, it just seems like he is getting his wires crossed in explaining what he means. Not trying to defend him completely, but it seems that way to me. Either way, he should have thought about what he was intending to get across a little more before posting it.

I don't think he is actually trolling though.

lostinblue said:
When it's looking this bad? well, yes.

I'm not the only one here thinking that. Even Kojima productions has shown they can do so much better on the hardwareHave you seen the original demo?

PS2? not.OoT is a good re-tooled 13 year old classic but you really think it's pushing whatsoever?

It looks really good for what it is but come on.Not as ridiculous as the original and uninformed argument, I insist.

Pulling 400x240 on a 3DS (with 3D and an extra bottom screen) is not the same as pulling 480x272 on a single PSP screen.
Again, that original demo is not a real game. The environments in MGS3 are big compared to Peace Walker plus theres a lot of AI that needs to be driven (wildlife, enemies, I think there may even be grass physics).

Zoramon089 said:
What's there to respond to? You're trying to make some ridiculous claim that the 3DS can't handle a faithful PS2 port just because ONE dev has shown that they aren't capable of it. You ignore the fact that there are ground up build 3DS games that look better than said failed port and than most of the PS2 library. There's nothing else to say. It's a lazy port. Anyone with common sense can look at the numerous other better looking 3DS games and realize this. Anyone can see the earlier demo, running in realtime on the 3DS, which looked MUCH better and realize this

Here's a pic from another 3DS game. Notice how it looks better? Because this is what the HW is capable of

idx8E6ev3.gif
I can't judge from that alone but the environment looks tiny compared to the size the MGS3 environments get.

Luckyman said:
3DS might be better in some aspects than PS2 and a lot worse in others.
Not really...it's worse in that the screens are a lower resolution and PS2 can possibly pump out more polygons max but it's better at nearly everything else

infinityBCRT said:
Again, that original demo is not a real game. The environments in MGS3 are big compared to Peace Walker plus theres a lot of AI that needs to be driven (wildlife, enemies, I think there may even be grass physics).

I can't judge from that alone but the environment looks tiny compared to the size the MGS3 environments get.
There was a playable demo by then, it's not like it was Killzone PS3.

Look at Tekken 3DS, who apparently is doing 60 fps in 3D (and making compromises to achieve it) nevertheless it didn't turn into a PSP game, it still uses 3DS effects:

ME0001433939_2.jpg

(sure different kind of game, yadda yadda)

What I'm saying here is that they went from using 3DS "special" graphical feature implementations to using none, and they aren't using anything because they scrapped their original plan and went for a comparatively lazy effort.

The game could look way better despite whatever it's doing, it clearly can handle the game as is and then some. Not on 2GB and not whilst being a rushed/secondary effort.

That has nothing to do with the hardware itself.

BlazingDarkness said:
I loled at those screens, it looks far worse than Peace Walker
No way the game looks that bad
Peace Walker's environments were postage stamp sized compared to MGS3. They tailored the textures and geometry to what the PSP could do.

jackdoe

lostinblue said:
It was actually a "playable" tech demo. Confined, controlled space. The real demo for the actual product was what was shown at this E3 which is similar to the mess we have now. As stated by earlier posts, the massive interest in the tech demo led Konami to consider porting over MGS3 and led to this mess of a game as Konami didn't realize that interest wasn't in a port, but in a potential REMAKE.

lowrider007

lostinblue said:
I'm not the only one here thinking that. Even Kojima productions has shown they can do so much better on the hardwareHave you seen the original demo?

<sigh>, that was basically a tech demo.

PS2? not.OoT is a good re-tooled 13 year old classic but you really think it's pushing whatsoever?

What?, I'm saying OoT looks good in spite of it's rather average graphics becuase of the art direction, my point if is try to steer away from making games on the 3DS with realistic art direction as imo it doesn't look good on this level of hardware, some of you may be impressed but I am not, I shouldn't have to feel bad becuase of that.

No it's not the same, your right, now we've got poor graphics but in 3D, I like the 3DS but it's not up to scratch graphically, not for these types of games at least, and that's obviously becuase it's stereoscopic 3D, Nintendo decided that feature was going to take precedence over the graphics and it shows imo.

And also if people actually read my posts where did I say it wasn't capable of producing better than this port?, I even said "I'm not saying it couldn't be improved upon, but by how much?".

M3d10n

lostinblue said:
S3TC is lossy and all that, but it didn't have to look like that. If they weren't batch converting they could cut here and there on stuff that we wouldn't even notice, or barely notice (farther objects for instance) whilst not compressing as much the red bricks in a case by case scenario of trying to squeeze it but keeping detail where it's absence is most noted.
My bad, when I wrote "batch converting" I should have typed "batch converting AND downsizing". The brick, floor and crate textures were obviously reduced to half their original resolution.

Since most of MGS3's textures were designed to make heavy use of single-pixel details they are completely disfigured when downsampled.

Now, I do agree with lowrider007's point that this port in particular is ill suited to the platform, but mostly due to storage problems. Adding normal maps to everything means adding more textures and they can't even fit what they have already.

jackdoe said:
It was actually a "playable" tech demo. Confined, controlled space. The real demo for the actual product was what was shown at this E3 which is similar to the mess we have now. As stated by earlier posts, the massive interest in the tech demo led Konami to consider porting over MGS3 and led to this mess of a game as Konami didn't realize that interest wasn't in a port, but in a potential REMAKE.
Or "very enhanced port". dropping in better character models, some 3DS graphical bells and whistles here and there and enhancing the environments could work.

Either way it's only normal that people want content taylor made to the hardware. Or at the very least that makes it justice.

This is shaping up to be neither.
M3d10n said:
My bad, when I wrote "batch converting" I should have typed "batch converting AND downsizing". The brick, floor and crate textures were obviously reduced to half their original resolution.

Since most of MGS3's textures were designed to make heavy use of single-pixel details they are completely disfigured when downsampled.
I see. Well, I can imagine everything was downsized but we'd probably not notice as muchif it was done on a case by case sensitive basis rather than in batch form.
M3d10n said:
Now, I do agree with lowrider007's point that this port in particular is ill suited to the platform, but mostly due to storage problems.
I don't think that was really his point, but yeah, that's hard to disagree with, 4 GB is a lot for the system at this point, specially when converting assets like these. (if there were better resolution textured not focusing as much on "pixel-per-pixel detail as you said above)

I actually find it somewhat amusing that we're having so many "FMV" showings on the 3DS, a cartridge based system. Now even the Tekken game brings a whole movie with it (what for?) seems like a waste on a space constricted platform.

lostinblue said:

Look at Tekken 3DS, who apparently is doing 60 fps in 3D (and making compromises to achieve it) nevertheless it didn't turn into a PSP game, it still uses 3DS effects:

ME0001433939_2.jpg

(sure different kind of game, yadda yadda)

What I'm saying here is that they wen't from using 3DS "special" graphical feature implementations to using none, and they aren't using anything because they scrapped their original plan and went for a comparatively lazy effort.

The game could look way better despite whatever it's doing, it clearly can handle the game as is and then some.
It wasn't a playable demo. You could spin the camera around but thats about it. It wasn't using the geometry or textures or AI from MGS3, everything in that demo was built from the ground up for the 3DS using the Peace Walker engine.

And yeah, a fighting game is like the worst example ever for comparison.

Myansie

Holy crap I just watched the Revelations trailer. That looks amazing and it's 3DS. Clearly the 3DS can smash MGS3 graphics. The difference is night and day. Just makes this port all the more disappointing. Timing wise Revelations will be out not long after Metal Gear, I know which I'm buying.

infinityBCRT said:
Peace Walker's environments were postage stamp sized compared to MGS3. They tailored the textures and geometry to what the PSP could do.
Well maybe they need to split the environments up into smaller areas for this 3DS version because it looks a mess as it is now.

Massa

BurntPork said:
Right, because we've seen absolutely no evidence that 3DS is capable of way better graphics than this.

You have got to be kidding me. Go back to the Vita thread.

I should clarify myself: of course the 3DS can do better than this. It's a port after all, it was never going to be the best looking game on the system simply because it wasn't designed with it in mind.

That said, the idea that it's a "lazy" port is kind of ridiculous to me. If the game looks downgraded compared to the tech demo it's because the original game was doing things in ways that are not well fit for the 3DS hardware, and would have to be dramatically redone to even match it. I'm not shocked by how it looks on the 3DS by the nature of what it is.

The 3DS is a very weak machine compared to, say, a 2010 $199 iPod Touch that runs id Tech 4 and UE3. That's disappointing to me. That's all.

jackdoe

M3d10n said:
Now, I do agree with lowrider007's point that this port in particular is ill suited to the platform, but mostly due to storage problems. Adding normal maps to everything means adding more textures and they can't even fit what they have already.
Couldn't Konami pull a Peace Walker and require an "install". Compress all the sound data and unpack it onto the SD card? Temporary solution until game card sizes become larger.

Massa said:
I should clarify myself: of course the 3DS can do better than this. It's a port after all, it was never going to be the best looking game on the system simply because it wasn't designed with it in mind.

That said, the idea that it's a "lazy" port is kind of ridiculous to me. If the game looks downgraded compared to the tech demo it's because the original game was doing things in ways that are not well fit for the 3DS hardware, and would have to be dramatically redone to even match it. I'm not shocked by how it looks on the 3DS by the nature of what it is.

A sane voice in the sea of insanity.

M3d10n

jackdoe said:
Couldn't Konami pull a Peace Walker and require an "install". Compress all the sound data and unpack it onto the SD card? Temporary solution until game card sizes become larger.
Unless Nintendo has some rules in place, this could be done. However, this port is obviously being handled by the Konami interns so I doubt they have any leeway to be clever.

BIONIC-ARRRMMM!! said:
For the not knowing, it has been confirmed that this game will be the first on a 4GB 3DS cart.
I had no idea. So they don't have to half the game size? I'm really not understanding this anymore Konami...

infinityBCRT said:
It wasn't a playable demo. You could spin the camera around but thats about it. It wasn't using the geometry or textures or AI from MGS3, everything in that demo was built from the ground up for the 3DS using the Peace Walker engine.

And yeah, a fighting game is like the worst example ever for comparison.
You didn't get my point at all

You can do 3DS specific stuff in any piece of software really, and that game was my way of pointing that out.

It runs at 60 frames per second in 3D mode, which is a lot (even if it's a fighting game), and I'm not saying a MGS game would have to pull that framerate while keeping it's visual prowess (that is now missing) hell no. But Tekken is still pulling some nice stuff rather than flat untextured surfaces. This game is not using 3DS features because it's nothing but a port at this point, a port that isn't worried in using the 3DS in an intrinsic way, or in any way, to be fair.

Otherwise it could, with better results than what we're seeing (and above what PS2 did)

It could be as easy as remodeling snake and applying some bump maps/detail to his ears.
Massa said:
Not only does it look downgraded, not it looks quite worse than PS2, and it didn't have to be that way.

And batch converting stuff, this way, is a sign of being lazy (or being a very small team with strict deadlines but that will also result in a "lazy" job in the end, be it the employers fault or the company.
Massa said:
The 3DS is a very weak machine compared to, say, a 2010 $199 iPod Touch that runs id Tech 4 and UE3. That's disappointing to me. That's all.
You need some correcting.

Last years $199 8 GB iPod Touch was not a 3rd gen one, who indeed runs unreal engine 3 mobile, it was a 2nd gen one with an ARM11 and a PowerVR MBX Lite GPU. Apple kept it in production just like they kept iPhone 3Gs being produced this year.

The "last year iPod" that runs Unreal Engine was the $299 model. And the new one that runs it with 8 GB's costs $229, last I checked.

And let's not discuss that engine, I'll just say Epic is stubborn in their own way.

Boney

Banned
M3d10n said:
Unless Nintendo has some rules in place, this could be done. However, this port is obviously being handled by the Konami interns so I doubt they have any leeway to be clever.
I think Ridge Racer does this. And I have it lol.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but could it just be like PS2 was hard to code and they're converting that directly to 3DS so it's not an optimal recreation of it? Thus leading to this poor scenario?

sfried

Massa said:
Actually it's not "weak" as you think. The reason Epic refuses to make UE3 run on 3DS is tbecause of the lack of complete programable shaders. That said, the 3Ds does have custom vertex shaders and some preset one like normal mapping and volumetric fog.

As for Snake Eater not being able to look as good as Naked Sample, that has nothing to do with the engine and has everything to do with the effort. They can optimize it even further, if not modify or remake the Peace Walker engine from the ground up to be able to take full advantage of 3DS capabilities while being able to accomodate the spaces of MGS3.

I mean, they were able to recreate an entire setpiece of MGS3 in the demo, so why not recreate them all?
Boney said:
I think Ridge Racer does this. And I have it lol.
Ridge Racer installs on SD. If access times are permissible, then it shouldn't be a problem.

BurntPork

Banned
Massa said:

The thing is that the issue is that the textures seem heavily compressed. Since we know that it's on a 4GB cart and the 3DS has way more RAM than the PS2, there's no reason for that to be the case. The truth is that they're not bothering to optimize the game at all. It's lazy.

Okay. Go back to the Vita thread.

BurntPork said:
The thing is that the issue is that the textures seem heavily compressed. Since we know that it's on a 4GB cart and the 3DS has way more RAM than the PS2, there's no reason for that to be the case. The truth is that they're not bothering to optimize the game at all. It's lazy.
We'll it's probably being squeezed into a 2GB cart now, otherwise it just wouldn't make sense.

BurntPork

Banned
lostinblue said:
We'll it's probably being squeezed into a 2GB cart now, otherwise it just wouldn't make sense.
I don't see why that would have changed between now and E3. Compressing it is just more work.

BurntPork said:
I don't see why that would have changed between now and E3. Compressing it is just more work.
HD collection was announced, it kinda backfired on the 3DS front with people (rightfully) saying that if this game now is nothing but a port then they now have no reason to invest on the 3DS version and the like.

They could have re-adjusted their projections since E3, perhaps they should have readjusted them from the moment they decided to announced a bundled in HD collection version (kinda amazing that they apparently didn't).

sfried

lostinblue said:
HD collection was announced, it kinda backfired on the 3DS front with people (rightfully) saying that if this game now is nothing but a port then they now have no reason to invest on the 3DS version and the like.

They could have re-adjusted their projections since E3, perhaps they should have readjusted them from the moment they decided to announced a bundled in HD collection version (kinda amazing that they apparently didn't).
Kojima should be more hands on with this project. I really want the game to be able to showcase 3DS capabilities much like he likes showcasing features on a Sony hardware.

StreetPass support!
infinityBCRT said:
Because that requires money that this port won't make back.
If they see efforts of other companies as being fruitious when they actually do make an effort then I don't see why they wouldn't invest on it.

Top Bottom