• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft making at least four new IPs

Someone in the Halo thread posted this but I thought I'd post it here too.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=57294160&postcount=16018

Certain Affinity has worked been working with Microsoft a lot their entire existence. 5 map packs for different Halo games since 2. Lots of various work on Halo 4's MP including maps and game modes, and their last full game Crimson Alliance was published by MS on XBLA. I think it's possible they're working on an all new Durango game or possibly some kind of Halo game.

Certain Affinity has worked been working with Microsoft a lot their entire existence. 5 map packs for different Halo games since 2. Lots of various work on Halo 4's MP including maps and game modes, and their last full game Crimson Alliance was published by MS on XBLA. I think it's possible they're working on an all new Durango game or possibly some kind of Halo game.

Halo CE Anniversary multiplayer mode and Halo Waypoint too.

DEADEVIL

I loved that Pasty rumor about playing Chief biggest battles from the past using the H4 engine. That would be a fun ODST type side gig game.

But alas it was Pasty.

Kinect is perhaps the most famous example of NUI in the past few years. I read it as meaning that involves Kinect.

I'm not sure I agree. It could be interpreted a number of ways. The most obvious being that they need someone to work on the menu system/integration of the UI into the game for recording/accessibility purposes.

I'm not sure I agree. It could be interpreted a number of ways. The most obvious being that they need someone to work on the menu system/integration of the UI into the game for recording/accessibility purposes.

When Microsoft talks about NUI, Kinect is always mentioned. At least when it comes to gaming. There's no other interpretation.

No, NUI = natural user interface, so things like voice commands, gestures, writing (obviously not available on Xbox) and so on.

Alx

I don't see anything wrong or surprising with that. Everything points that NUI will be a big feature of the NextBox. It's only natural that most studios will need people to handle that part of technology, just like they can need experts in AI, animation, physics, network etc.

Wasn't sure where to put this, so I'll post it here. Phil Spencer has confirmed that the 15 titles are all Microsoft Published. Most people already guessed this, but some people seem to think Respawns game was part of the count.

@PotentialyGreat : @XboxP3 Just to clarify, the 15 games mentioned are all Microsoft published right?

@XboxP3: @PotentialyGreat Yes. 3rd parties a bringing a great lineup to #XBOXOne but obviously I feel responsible for the 1st party published games.

Hindle

Banned
The only Rare game was Kinect Sports, they've got little to do with KI, so what else are they up to? Im thinking a Gamescom reveal

Lift London hiring:

BJ-Vc5rCYAAk-s4.jpg:large

Why the Xbox One satisfaction thread was closed?

Croyles

Is it just me or is Microsofts marketing campaing essentially "Just let it happen—it’ll be over soon".

MS are the rapists of console manufacturers.

Leflus

Another new team?

Would you like to work on truly original, highly experimental games? Want to try something different from the typical hardcore game genres and sequels, but still want to create truly stunning AAA quality games? Got tons of performance and rendering development experience? Then our team is the place to be. We've assembled a group of seasoned developers, who are working on the next great original IP, and we need a senior programmer to join our rendering team.

You would be working with a group of programmers and artists, and would help us add all the polish and performance to our engine, so our beautiful, stylistic worlds can take our users’ breath away.

This is an excellent chance to join a newly formed internal team in Microsoft studios, while working on a unique experience that is First Party quality.
http://www.microsoft-careers.com/jo...rosoft-Studios-(834422)-Job-WA-98052/2562208/

Leflus

No ...

Can someone bring me up to date with any X1 1st party MS dev news over the last week??? Thank you kindly.
I don't think there's been a lot of news since E3. E3 was pretty big for Microsoft Studios, though.

• Phil Spencer announced that they've opened up 5 new "blockbuster studios".
  • Team Dakota revealed. They're the devs behind Project Spark.
  • Microsoft Studios Osaka revealed.
  • Teaser for Black Tusk Studios' new IP
  • Fable Anniversary from Lionhead, Halo from 343, Kinect Sports from Rare announced.
  • Already announced, but present at E3: Max: CoB from PressPlay, Lococycle from Twisted Pixel, Forza 5 from Turn 10.
It seems like they're finally getting their shit together.

Ushae

Banned
I don't think there's been a lot of news since E3. E3 was pretty big for Microsoft Studios, though.

• Phil Spencer announced that they've opened up 5 new "blockbuster studios".
  • Team Dakota revealed. They're the devs behind Project Spark.
  • Microsoft Studios Osaka revealed.
  • Teaser for Black Tusk Studios' new IP
  • Fable Anniversary from Lionhead, Halo from 343, Kinect Sports from Rare announced.
  • Already announced, but present at E3: Max: CoB from PressPlay, Lococycle from Twisted Pixel, Forza 5 from Turn 10.
It seems like they're finally getting their shit together.

So how many of these 'blockbuster' franchises have been shown so far?

Black Tusk gave us a glimpse? What else is there? By blockbuster do they mean AAA games?

Leflus

So how many of these 'blockbuster' franchises have been shown so far?

Black Tusk gave us a glimpse? What else is there? By blockbuster do they mean AAA games?
Project Spark is pretty big.

I might be wrong, but I think he's counting 343 Industries as well.

Ushae

Banned
Project Spark is pretty big.

I might be wrong, but I think he's counting 343 Industries as well.

So I'm guessing..

- Black Tusk
- Rare
- Lionhead
- Osaka

Project Spark didn't feel like a huge endeavour to me, more like an experimental type/indie thing. I think Crackdown isn't in development yet though.

FrankT

So I'm guessing..

- Black Tusk
- Rare
- Lionhead
- Osaka

Project Spark didn't feel like a huge endeavour to me, more like an experimental type/indie thing. I think Crackdown isn't in development yet though.

I saw those comments about Crackdown and believe the same, which is a shame. They need to get that into the right hands.

Looking forward to the Gamescon surprises.

JudgeB

Banned
Kinda odd how Phil would choose to wear a Crackdown shirt for TV if the game wasn't in production yet. I have a feeling it's pretty along in development, despite him saying they needed to find the right team first. Mixed messaging ftw

Dabanton

Kinda odd how Phil would choose to wear a Crackdown shirt for TV if the game wasn't in production yet. I have a feeling it's pretty along in development, despite him saying they needed to find the right team first. Mixed messaging ftw

Yeah I sort of suspect that as well.

Gamescom maybe?

JudgeB

Banned
I mean, I read a quote where he said he loves the series and would love for it to come back under the right team...but why wear a Crackdown shirt on TV for maximum exposure if it isn't even greenlit yet? Doesn't make much sense. He would have been better off having an upcomming game title on his shirt. The shirt to me seemed like a subtle message of things to come. Gamescom, I expect to at least see something new from Lionhead

That it was on the dash tiles at the reveal (which was a new design orb not used in 1 or 2) should be evidence too, given every other game from it came to light.

Aaron Greenberg tweeted again this morning that they have several unannounced exclusives still to come, so they are obviously saving for Gamescom and TGS.

Ushae

Banned
I mean, I read a quote where he said he loves the series and would love for it to come back under the right team...but why wear a Crackdown shirt on TV for maximum exposure if it isn't even greenlit yet? Doesn't make much sense. He would have been better off having an upcomming game title on his shirt. The shirt to me seemed like a subtle message of things to come. Gamescom, I expect to at least see something new from Lionhead

Hmm where did he wear it? What show?

Edit: Oh you mean on Jimmy Fallon? Holy shit yes he did. That's twice Xbox has hinted it, my hype is going up again ...

Miles X

My guess:

Team Dakota
343 Industries
MS Osaka
Black Tusk Studios
Unannounced studio or MS Victoria.

Thanks for your list, I knew all that though :( I guess things are gonna be quite for the next 9 weeks until Gamescom.

I would say the 5 big studios are recent judging by what he actually said.

Black Tusk
MS Victoria
MS Osaka
MS Dakota
MS L.A

No, these are the five studios they are talking about,

Black Tusk
MS Osaka
MS Victoria
Team Dakota
and the new studio in Redmond. Remember, Spencer mentioned after the Xbox reveal they had a new studio there and that is where those Irrational and Naughty Dog devs are based on linkedin

shandy706

No, these are the five studios they are talking about,

Black Tusk
MS Osaka
MS Victoria
Team Dakota
and the new studio in Redmond. Remember, Spencer mentioned after the Xbox reveal they had a new studio there and that is where those Irrational and Naughty Dog devs are based on linkedin

Wait...what?

Elaborate...or is there nothing to elaborate on? LOL

FrankT

Yea there could be some sneakiness to that Crackdown messaging. Please be in the right hands and give it the time it needs.

That would be a megaton for Gamescon.

Wait...what?

Elaborate...or is there nothing to elaborate on? LOL

There was a thread on GAF a while back about a couple devs from Irrational joining Microsoft. Someone posted a link in there showing some devs from Naughty Dog had joined MS as well. I looked up all their linkedins and they're all in Redmond. Based on their's and other linkedin profiles it's pretty clear MS has a studio there.

I'll try to find the thread but I couldn't earlier this week for some reason.

abadguy

Banned
There was a thread on GAF a while back about a couple devs from Irrational joining Microsoft. Someone posted a link in there showing some devs from Naughty Dog had joined MS as well. I looked up all their linkedins and they're all in Redmond. Based on their's and other linkedin profiles it's pretty clear MS has a studio there.

I'll try to find the thread but I couldn't earlier this week for some reason.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=495752

This is the one, i think. The Naughty Dog guy was Alex Liu ( worked on Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us. He did the Rough Seas and Caravan mission in UC3)

Top Bottom