• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft making at least four new IPs

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
and the new studio in Redmond. Remember, Spencer mentioned after the Xbox reveal they had a new studio there and that is where those Irrational and Naughty Dog devs are based on linkedin
I thought that was Core Publishing, which is sort of a central creative/oversight team IIRC?

I don't want to make a new thread for this, so I'll just post it here. Does anyone think the rumor of MS being behind in first-party development is true after E3? I mean we only really saw Forza 5, Kinect Sports, Halo, and a teaser from Black Tusk. Nothing from Lionhead, Good Science, Big Park, MS Victoria, MS Osaka, Rare's team 2, MS Los Angeles, Platform Next, or any other of their smaller studios.

I don't want to make a new thread for this, so I'll just post it here. Does anyone think the unfounded rumor of Sony being behind in first-party development for the PS4 is true after E3? I mean we only really saw Infamous SS, Killzone, Knack, A teaser of The Order and a Tech demo. Nothing from Naughty Dog, SCE San Diego Studio, Media Molecule or any other of their vast amount of studios.

FIFY

Leflus

I don't want to make a new thread for this, so I'll just post it here. Does anyone think the rumor of MS being behind in first-party development is true after E3? I mean we only really saw Forza 5, Kinect Sports, Halo, and a teaser from Black Tusk. Nothing from Lionhead, Good Science, Big Park, MS Victoria, MS Osaka, Rare's team 2, MS Los Angeles, Platform Next, or any other of their smaller studios.
Maybe they didn't want to blow their load? :p

Leflus

Are you conveniently forgetting, Killzone, Knack, DriveClub, GT6, Beyond, Last of Us, Puppeteer, Rain etc...at least we know what the majority of Sony devs are doing.
North American devs:
343 Industries: Halo (2014)
Turn 10: Forza Motorsport 5 (2013)
Twisted Pixel Games: Lococycle (2013)
Team Dakota: Project Spark (2014)
Black Tusk Studios: New IP (TBA 2015?)
BigPark: TBA
Goodscience: TBA
MS Victoria: TBA
Platform Next Studios: TBA
KALE: TBA

European devs:
Lionhead: Fable Anniversary (2013)
Lionhead 2: N/A, but it's assumed that they're working on a AAA action-RPG.
PressPlay: Max: Curse of Brotherhood (2013)
Rare: Kinect Sports Rivals (2013)
Rare 2: Do they even have a second team at this point?
London Lift: TBA

Other:
MS Osaka: TBA

We have a good idea of what Microsoft's studios are working on. Remember that a lot of the studios with unannounced projects are still in the process of recruiting devs for their teams.

Good Science and BigPark are the only big questionmarks at this point. I suspect that Good Science have been absorbed into a different team at Redmond and that BigPark has gone app/UI only, but we'll have to wait and see. It would be kind of stupid to not make a sequel to Kinect Adventures, though.

North American devs:
343 Industries: Halo (2014)
Turn 10: Forza Motorsport 5 (2013)
Twisted Pixel Games: Lococycle (2013)
Team Dakota: Project Spark (2014)
Black Tusk Studios: New IP (TBA 2015?)
BigPark: TBA
Goodscience: TBA
MS Victoria: TBA
Platform Next Studios: TBA
KALE: TBA

European devs:
Lionhead: Fable Anniversary (2013)
Lionhead 2: N/A, but it's assumed that they're working on a AAA action-RPG.
PressPlay: Max: Curse of Brotherhood (2013)
Rare: Kinect Sports Rivals (2013)
Rare 2: Do they even have a second team at this point?
London Lift: TBA

Other:
MS Osaka: TBA

We have a good idea of what Microsoft's studios are working on. Remember that a lot of the studios with unannounced projects are still in the process of recruiting devs for their teams.

Good Science and BigPark are the only big questionmarks at this point. I suspect that Good Science have been absorbed into a different team at Redmond and that BigPark has gone app/UI only, but we'll have to wait and see. It would be kind of stupid to not make a sequel to Kinect Adventures, though.

Speaking of Platform Next, do we even know anything about them? I just mentioned them cause they are on the wikipedia page. I don't remember anything about who is there or what they could be working on.

Leflus

Speaking of Platform Next, do we even know anything about them? I just mentioned them cause they are on the wikipedia page. I don't remember anything about who is there or what they could be working on.
We don't.

I've dug up some information on Team Dakota (Project Spark), though.

1 dev from Bungie (Technical Director on Project Spark)
1 dev from Sucker Punch (Technical Art Lead/Camera Artist)
1 dev from Bizarre Creations (Lead Software Development Engineer)
2 devs from SOE (Lead Artist and SDE)
3 devs from Zipper (Game Designer, Level Designer and Senior SDE)

+ various devs from EA, Propaganda, Shiny Entertainment, Griptonite, Airtight Games and Silicon Knights.

Nothing mindblowing, but it seems like a decent bunch. Some of them have up to 15 years of experience in the industry.

Edit: Going by this little nugget, Project Spark didn't start its development on Xbox One.
- Supervised and directed port of Project Spark to Xbox One.

Dusky

They are a Kinect-focused studio if I recall correctly.

TheOddOne

I guess Judgment is the start of a new trilogy?

jb0YNMw88axrUK.png

Ryse also getting interactive graphic novels.

Also, the guy in the op updated his profile:
jbcJflMBPFTj15.png

One of the four new IP's is Quantum Break.

I guess Judgment is the start of a new trilogy?

jb0YNMw88axrUK.png

Ryse also getting interactive graphic novels.

Also, the guy in the op updated his profile:
jbcJflMBPFTj15.png

One of the four new IP's is Quantum Break.
Ugh, Judgment is terrible. And I like Gears of War. They extracted every ounce of soul from the series, 'by numbers' is an understatement.

All we know is this guy was product manager on four new IP, that doesn't mean there weren't/aren't other product managers looking after other IPs.

I know that, it's not what I was saying. I'm saying out of the four this guy oversees, it appears Quantum Break is the only one we know of so far. Nothing else MS has announced right now is included in these four.

harSon

Banned
People seemed so sure that Gears of War was going to become multiplatform. I wouldn't mind the mantle being passed to People Can Fly, as long its not a rushed development cycle.

I know that, it's not what I was saying. I'm saying out of the four this guy oversees, it appears Quantum Break is the only one we know of so far. Nothing else MS has announced right now is included in these four.

I'd imagine the Black Tusk game is one of these games. Unless he only oversees 2nd party games?

Gears used to be my favorite MS exclusive, along with Mass Effect when it was still exclusive. PCF basically put the nail in the coffin for the franchise, and with Cliffy gone I have no faith in Gears returning to it's former glory. I'm sitting out this round with the X1 right now anyway, at least for a year or two, so hopefully in the meantime some fresh new IP will come along to fill the void. Quantum Break was the only IP shown so far that has piqued my interest.

Ales

Neo Member
Yeah, they usually lt their second party studios keep the IP. Maybe because Microsoft is really involved with the TV aspect of it?

Leave in the hands of the second party ownership of IP is a risky choice and stupid.Watch Mass Effect MS had invested a lot of resources on it for the development and marketing of the first chapter but when EA bought Bioware all those resources have been wasted because the series has become multi.

abadguy

Banned
Yeah, they usually lt their second party studios keep the IP. Maybe because Microsoft is really involved with the TV aspect of it?

There have been a few times when MS has kept the IP. They own State of Decay too. As well as lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon.( Still wondering if their Osaka studio is working on a LO sequel)

Top Bottom