• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft making at least four new IPs

Sorry for the bump, but I figured this was the best place to ask. Do we know who owns the IP to D4? After rewatching some of Giant Bomb's endurance run to Deadly Premonition I got curious. I didn't have any luck on those trade mark websites.

Sorry for the bump, but I figured this was the best place to ask. Do we know who owns the IP to D4? After rewatching some of Giant Bomb's endurance run to Deadly Premonition I got curious. I didn't have any luck on those trade mark websites.

It was announced as an Xbox One exclusive. It also utilizes Kinect 2.
I assume you're asking about the IP ownership in hopes of the possibility of this coming to another platform.
If you really want it, buy an Xbox One. Simple as that...

I assume you're asking about the IP ownership in hopes of the possibility of this coming to another platform.
If you really want it, buy an Xbox One. Simple as that..

Wow, dat XB1 elitism!

Gosh, I think a chill pill is in order dude. The guy asked an honest question.

Anyways, MS has some great exclusives coming to the XB1 announced already. I really want to play DR3 but I'm not buying an XB1 at launch cuz its too expensive here in the UK. No way I can afford to buy both consoles at launch and I refuse to pay a premium for Kinect.

Silky

Banned

You didn't even answer his question, bruh.

I believe D4 is fully owned by Swery. But the thing is, D4 and it's sequels will 95% likely be on Xbone because MS was the only company that was interested in Swery.

Ushae

Banned
Wow, dat XB1 elitism!

Gosh, I think a chill pill is in order dude. The guy asked an honest question.

Anyways, MS has some great exclusives coming to the XB1 announced already. I really want to play DR3 but I'm not buying an XB1 at launch cuz its too expensive here in the UK. No way I can afford to buy both consoles at launch and I refuse to pay a premium for Kinect.

Same situation for me too, only the other way around. I'll only pick one up initially, and X1 has the most appeal for me controller wise, achievements, exclusives etc plus my sister can get mine discounted to £375 which is handy ;)

Nintendo has always been my second go to system for it's exclusives, that may change this gen. Still waiting for Zelda :(

P.S. Any ideas what to expect at Gamescom, I believe there is another press conference there. So more (much needed) big announcements?

Showaddy

There's no elitism in what I said, just stating what we know so far and trying to keep things on topic.
After all, this is about Xbox One exclusives, not port begging.

What's wrong with you? He asked who owned the IP for D4 not is D4 coming to PC/PS4/Wii-U...

Raymo

There's no elitism in what I said, just stating what we know so far and trying to keep things on topic.
After all, this is about Xbox One exclusives, not port begging.

Oh you weren't being elitist, he was just port begging.. okay.

Oh yeah, that's totally port begging.

What other reason would a consumer have for asking about the ownership of an IP?

They may be curious as to who owns the ip?

There was massive debate and discussion over who owned the ip to Bungies next game after they partnered up with activision, and that had nothing to do with which console the game would appear on.

He's a Microsoft fan though, judging from his post history. I think he's just interested in knowing if its going to remain exclusive or not.

Fair enough.
As a consumer, IP ownership in general seems irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.
Just enjoy the game, regardless of who owns it.

Can these IPs be Kinect games?

hope not

With the exception of Kinect Sports Rivals, it seems Microsoft is moving away from Kinect-only games.
There are a lot of hybrids and optional Kinect features in the announced games so far.
Also a big emphasis on Smart Glass; for better or worse...

Ushae

Banned
Of the studios we know of. How many are still working on 'unannounced' projects? Is there a consolidated thread anywhere?

Dusky

Of the studios we know of. How many are still working on 'unannounced' projects? Is there a consolidated thread anywhere?

Would be wise to make a new thread probably.

Off the top of my head there's Lionhead, Rare's 2nd team, BigPark and the other more "Kinect-centric" studios.

So? Alan Wake, Gears of War and Dance Central were all Xbox 360 exclusives published by MS, but they don't own the IP for any of them. If you didn't know the answer to his question you didn't need to take a snotty tone.

Same situation for me too, only the other way around. I'll only pick one up initially, and X1 has the most appeal for me controller wise, achievements, exclusives etc plus my sister can get mine discounted to £375 which is handy ;)

Nintendo has always been my second go to system for it's exclusives, that may change this gen. Still waiting for Zelda :(

P.S. Any ideas what to expect at Gamescom, I believe there is another press conference there. So more (much needed) big announcements?

Whoa. Does your sis work in a retailer or something? That's awesome tbh.

MS I suspect will have some surprises to show at Gamescom. They normally never have much of a presence there, so the fact that they do this year shows they should have some good stuff to pimp to the public and press. Can't wait to see what both Sony and MS have to show.

Pretty sure Swery has said MS are funding the IP, as for who owns it, I'd wager MS...

Haha no port begging here. I'm more of an Xbox/Nintendo fan. Just interested in who owns the IP. I was surprised when I found out MS owns Quantum Break so I'm curious to see which others they own. Insomniac said one of the reasons they are working with MS is because they get to keep their IP, so it seems it's different for every game.

Miles X

Haha no port begging here. I'm more of an Xbox/Nintendo fan. Just interested in who owns the IP. I was surprised when I found out MS owns Quantum Break so I'm curious to see which others they own. Insomniac said one of the reasons they are working with MS is because they get to keep their IP, so it seems it's different for every game.

It's hard to tell on D4, MS own Quantum Break because their LA studios are doing the cutscene sequences, and obviously don't own the Sunset IP because it was simply money hatted. I guess D4 is somewhere in between there.

Edit - Oh bum, double post.

Doodis

Hope Good Science has come up with a whacky cute Kinect game.

This sounds like sarcasm, but I'll say I whole-heartedly agree. My kids love Kinect, but there aren't many games they can play because the original Kinect has a difficult time reading them.

I'm hoping for some great kids games now that the new Kinect might actually be able to read them correctly.

Miles X

This sounds like sarcasm, but I'll say I whole-heartedly agree. My kids love Kinect, but there aren't many games they can play because the original Kinect has a difficult time reading them.

I'm hoping for some great kids games now that the new Kinect might actually be able to read them correctly.

Not sarcasm! I really enjoyed Kinect Adventures (Kinect Fun Labs was very meh though)

I reckon they could come up with something pretty cool.

Top Bottom