• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft needs more exclusives throughout the year

Theorry

I don't get it, is the list he wrote up meant to be impressive? You can count the number of games listed on a single hand, for games released over a period spanning a year and a half. You look at gaps of six months or more without a notable exclusive (AAA or indie) and think that's good?

Read on what i responded. ;)

People re expecting way too much from MS. And blindly believe in them.

They dont have enough internal studios.
Those they have re not enough talented.
They ve had 3 generations to build respectable portfolio and they failed imo.
Their best ip s forza which s not that big anyway. Even ips they have re not used enough or used properly.
All improvements Phil brought re mostly directed to better xbox and live as service for third parties. Why dont Turn 10 tries something new, 343 could maybe develop RPG...

At this point all they could do s use few billions to get some second parties and develope new ips only for xbox. Games take years to complete but sometimes MS seems like they re not even trying. Hoping they ll get their stuff together soon. I dont want domination of any manufacturer.

But..but they have phil spencer

I don't get it, is the list he wrote up meant to be impressive? You can count the number of games listed on a single hand, for games released over a period spanning a year and a half. You look at gaps of six months or more without a notable exclusive (AAA or indie) and think that's good?

He was pointing out the diversity in response to people saying that MS only release shooters and racers, how the hell did you miss that in my post?

And yes, given that I'll likely own 6 of those games once they're released (FM7 being the one I have no interest in), I'm happy with it. Multi-plats will take care of the quiet months, so it's not as if those are the only games I'll be playing during those 18 months.

MilkyJoe

One of the two things you compare here is a major USP, the other one, however, isn't. MS had good reasons to introduce cross play, turning the ship around in terms of Xbox sales wasn't one of them.

My own take on exclusives is quite simple:

Multiplats are so called "dissatisfiers". They are what players expect. It doesn't make them happier if they are available, just dissatisfied if they are not. See exhibit A) Nintendo.

Exclusives however are "motivators". They maybe not as important as some major 3rd party IPs like FIFA, CoD or GTA when it comes to moving consoles in general , but they really matter when it comes to actually choosing a platform.

And I for one believe that the upcoming 12 months will show that they are a much more important sales driver than offering the technically most enhanced platform to play multiplats.

Now apply that to sales.

Bgamer90

Banned
Multiplats are so called "dissatisfiers". They are what players expect. It doesn't make them happier if they are available, just dissatisfied if they are not. See exhibit A) Nintendo.

Exclusives however are "motivators". They maybe not as important as some major 3rd party IPs like FIFA, CoD or GTA when it comes to moving consoles in general , but they really matter when it comes to actually choosing a platform.

I don't know about this -- especially when multiple console bundles for multiplats have caused hype. Destiny was a cross gen multiplat but yet that game helped sell many current gen consoles.

Being able to play these games with friends on a console that's more powerful than what someone had before (whether PS4, Xbox One, Pro, X) definitely makes people happy.

The majority of people simply want a constant stream of good games to play and couldn't care less if the games are exclusive/console exclusive/multiplat/etc. It's easier to do this when your console has solid multiplat support vs. not having that.

The Wii U vs. Nintendo Switch is a great example of this. The Wii U had many solid exclusives yet it sold very poorly because those games didn't release on a regular basis. There were HUGE gaps for games on the Wii U. Nintendo Switch isn't suffering from the same problem. There has pretty much been a major title every month. Yeah, some of these titles were on Wii U but they have still greatly helped sales.

N7.Angel

People re expecting way too much from MS. And blindly believe in them.

They dont have enough internal studios.
Those they have re not enough talented.
They ve had 3 generations to build respectable portfolio and they failed imo.
Their best ip s forza which s not that big anyway. Even ips they have re not used enough or used properly.
All improvements Phil brought re mostly directed to better xbox and live as service for third parties. Why dont Turn 10 tries something new, 343 could maybe develop RPG...

At this point all they could do s use few billions to get some second parties and develope new ips only for xbox. Games take years to complete but sometimes MS seems like they re not even trying. Hoping they ll get their stuff together soon. I dont want domination of any manufacturer.

This.

tanooki27

yer gonna sink if you ain't got exclusives. you can have the coolest box and the nicest, weightiest controller, but without exclusives yer gonna sink.

Rellik

yer gonna sink if you ain't got exclusives. you can have the coolest box and the nicest, weightiest controller, but without exclusives yer gonna sink.

Well now that Xbox games mostly release on PC meaning it has nearly zero exclusives, you think the Xbox One will sink?

And I for one believe that the upcoming 12 months will show that they are a much more important sales driver than offering the technically most enhanced platform to play multiplats.

That's a pretty good take. There are obviously other factors involved (like friends, price, etc) but it's a nice succinct way to explain why multiplatform support and exclusives are important.

Based on the way things are, if Xbox were an independent company and not owned by Microsoft, I'd honestly think they were in some pretty dire "late 90s Sega" straights and the One X is their last roll of the die. There's a severe lack of coverage (from the media), interest (from consumers) and investment (from Microsoft) in that division and what good moves they make (like oXbox BC) just isn't enough to help swim against an ever strengthening tide.

But since they are owned by Microsoft, things aren't quite as dire as that. There's still plenty of possibilities. They could increase their budget and try harder to fight that tide. They could keep it running as is and hope the tide turns at some point, even as they continue to lose mind share and market share. Or, you know, they could kill it off. It depends entirely on what Nadella wants to do with it. So as is, I don't think things are looking good at all but we're nowhere near "Xbox is doooomed." Though at the same time, dreams of Xbox suddenly turning that tide around appear pretty delusional.

Bgamer90

Banned
Based on the way things are, if Xbox were an independent company and not owned by Microsoft, I'd honestly think they were in some pretty dire "late 90s Sega" straights and the One X is their last roll of the die. There's a severe lack of coverage (from the media), interest (from consumers) and investment (from Microsoft) in that division and what good moves they make (like oXbox BC) just isn't enough to help swim against an ever strengthening tide.

I wouldn't make late '90s Sega comparisons at all. Xbox still has solid game support (unlike Sega at the time due to them releasing so many systems to the point in which devs didn't know what to support) and online gaming/services to make money from weren't around in the console space back then either.

Wii U had many great exclusives. Sold horribly. It's simply about having a constant stream of good games regardless of whether they're exclusive or not. PS4 would do horribly without its thrid party multiplat support. Xbox One hasn't done that hot this year so far as there's been droughts in its "AAA attention grabbing"-game lineup.

Google for "June 2017 NPD leak". Xbox hardware sales are weakening even in their best market.

Thing is, when Nintendo was out of the picture with the Wii U, the Xbox One was a viable purchase. It's very rare the market can successfully sustain more than two consoles - there is usually one big loser. The wii/360/PS3 era was an anomaly in which all three hardware manufacturers did well.

Now the Switch has taken off, I've got to ask what the Xbox has to offer to differentiate it from the Switch/Ps4/PC. It has nothing. The only way a failing console has turned it around is with software, and that sure isn;t coming from Microsoft.

Well the thread was certainly interesting to read Hedon's meltdown and Nekkatsu throwing his account into oblivion.

When you compare the exclusives it's pretty clear that Sony is killing it at the moment. MS really need to invest in some proper exclusives and new IPs. I love my 360 and the exclusives it had were top notch but nothing compelled me to buy the X1 at launch and I don't see anything on the horizon either.

Ricky_R

Yes and it's selling, they already react to the YOY decline, it's called price cut, or you think MS is running by wizard that can develop a new game in a month or rush a game that from planned fall release to summer release?

Oh and for MS they're planning generation less consoles after One X, it's fine if anyone think this plan sucks and don't buy it, in fact we don't know will it works or not, but that's the route they're going to do, and they prepared for it, and i think it still won't comes with many exclusives, so why don't abandoning your hope, stop caring Xbox and just enjoy other platforms.

That's great and all, but with MS's current business model, they need to sell hardware if they want growth. Any other model is a hypothetical right now.

Fukuzatsu

You really only need look at the two machines' offerings side by side to notice this, but the real thorn in Microsoft's side is third-party support. In the time until Gran Turismo Sport releases there will have been no less than 4 Forzas on the XO, and otherwise you see a few standouts and a few familiar faces:
Xbox One (Includes games also released on PC in any format) said:
Forza Horizon 3
Forza Horizon 2
Forza Motorsport 7
Forza Motorsport 6
Forza Motorsport 5
Gears of War 4
Gears of War: Ultimate Edition
Halo 5: Guardians
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Halo Wars 2
Halo Wars: Definitive Edition
Halo: Spartan Assault
Crackdown 3
State of Decay 2
State of Decay: Year One Survival Edition
Sunset Overdrive
Killer Instinct
Quantum Break
Ryse: Son of Rome
Dead Rising 4
Dead Rising 3
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Ori and the Blind Forest
D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (Season 1)
ReCore
Titanfall
Cuphead
Sea of Thieves
Super Lucky's Tale
Rare Replay
Path of Exile
Voodoo Vince Remastered
Phantom Dust
Zoo Tycoon
Fallout Shelter

And the same, non-exhaustive list for PS4:
PS4 (includes games released on PC in any format) said:
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection
Last of Us Part II
Last of Us Remastered
Bloodborne
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Nioh
Persona 5
NieR: Automata
InFamous: Second Son
InFamous: First Light
Killzone: Shadow Fall
The Last Guardian
Gran Turismo Sport
Driveclub
God of War 4
God of War III Remastered
Insomniac's Spider-Man
Detroit: Become Human
Beyond: Two Souls
Days Gone
Until Dawn
Death Stranding
Yakuza 6
Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami
Yakuza Ishin (Japan-only)
Final Fantasy XIV
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD
Dissidia Final Fantasy NT
Gravity Rush 2
Gravity Rush Remastered
MLB The Show 17
MLB The Show 16
MLB The Show 15
MLB The Show 14
Wipeout: Omega Collection
Crash Bandicoot Trilogy
Ratchet & Clank
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5+2.5
City Shrouded in Shadow
Earth Defence Force 5
The Order: 1886
Knack 2
Knack
Resogun
Toukiden 2
Toukiden: Kiwami
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
Tales of Berseria
Tales of Zestiria
The Talos Principle
Let It Die
flower
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number
Hotline Miami
Jazzpunk Director's Cut
LawBreakers
Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
Gundam Versus
Tokyo Xanadu eX+
Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book
Atelier Firis: The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey
Assault Suit Leynos
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva
Dragon Quest Builders
Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness
Super Robot Wars V
Tearaway Unfolded
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven
Natural Doctrine
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
Digimon World: Next World
God Eater 2: Rage Burst
God Eater Resurrection
Nex Machina: Death Machine
Night in the Woods
Zero Time Dilemma
Zero Escape: The Nonary Games
Undertale
Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR-
Valkyria Chronicles Remastered
BlazBlue: Central Fiction
Salt and Sanctuary
The Silver Case: Remastered
Transistor
Mercenary Kings
CounterSpy
Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
Danganronpa 1-2 Reload
Invisible Inc.
Vanishing of Ethan Carter

There aren't many notable 3rd-party exclusives on Microsoft's system in comparison to Sony. And that's not even getting to games in a situation like Dragon Quest XI which are available on Nintendo and PS4, but not Xbox, or games where the majority of the market just doesn't exist on Xbox (Final Fantasy XV, Rockman Legacy Collection).

Bgamer90

Banned
Now the Switch has taken off, I've got to ask what the Xbox has to offer to differentiate it from the Switch/Ps4/PC. It has nothing.

There would be absolutely no Xboxes being sold if this were true. People are still buying it for multiple reasons.

The differences could/should definitely be greater and it looks like they will be next year but to say that there's nothing to differentiate is wrong.

Well now that Xbox games mostly release on PC meaning it has nearly zero exclusives, you think the Xbox One will sink?
Even if they're just on PC/XB1, as long as MS keeps trucking the XB1 along without games to differentiate itself from the PS4, sales will continue to falter.

Forza is annual sport title, no different from MLB the show.

It actually is quite different than MLB: The Show. Forza and Forza Horizon are two different style of racers created by different development teams.

Absolutely.
And these exclusives shouldn't bs shooters,racers or sports games.

Games are games and I have had more fun and more replay value in many sports games and racing titles than a lot of single player games that can be finished in 12-16 hours. Not all of those genre's you listed are annual releases either.

Rolf NB

Thing is, when Nintendo was out of the picture with the Wii U, the Xbox One was a viable purchase. It's very rare the market can successfully sustain more than two consoles - there is usually one big loser. The wii/360/PS3 era was an anomaly in which all three hardware manufacturers did well.

Now the Switch has taken off, I've got to ask what the Xbox has to offer to differentiate it from the Switch/Ps4/PC. It has nothing. The only way a failing console has turned it around is with software, and that sure isn;t coming from Microsoft.
The introduction of the Switch merely coincides with Microsoft's third-party standing sliding off. They had a decent rate of third-party signups early gen (Titanfall, Tomb Raider, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive), when some third parties / independents still held the belief they would hang on to their 360-gen market position. Which was kind of a foolish holdover. The moment BR drive and particularly ESRAM was confirmed, the cards were set for a struggle. They went into this generation trying to compete at feature and spec parity with Sony, already massively behind in first party output. Their (not entirely unexpected) hardware fuckup this gen was ESRAM, which cost them performance parity. Forced bundling of Kinect was the sheer hubris icing on the cake.

This is always about software. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't paid attention during the PS2 / PS3 gens at all. Price is a road to critical mass, which leads to more software. First-party is the other road to software. Specs are not the road to software, they are just a nice nudge to ease the choice when all else is similar.

They are going to be outsold the rest of the year by a new Nintendo system which costs the same as an Xbox One S, while delivering less than half the performance. And the last card in their hands is a 500$ spec bump.

Good luck you guys.

Caayn

You really only need look at the two machines' offerings side by side to notice this, but the real thorn in Microsoft's side is third-party support. In the time until Gran Turismo Sport releases there will have been no less than 4 Forzas on the XO, and otherwise you see a few standouts and a few familiar faces:

There aren't many notable 3rd-party exclusives on Microsoft's system in comparison to Sony. And that's not even getting to games in a situation like Dragon Quest XI which are available on Nintendo and PS4, but not Xbox, or games where the majority of the market just doesn't exist on Xbox (Final Fantasy XV, Rockman Legacy Collection).
If you're making a list, at least make sure that the lists are complete.
In the time until Gran Turismo Sport releases there will have been no less than 4 Forzas on the XO
That is more on PD than on Turn10/Playground. PD even manages to launch with less cars than Turn10 did when they also recreated everything for Forza 5 in just two years.

sn00zer

Given this Scorpio seems like such a weird move. It made sense 3 years ago when 900p debates were all the rage, but the conversation has since moved onto software.

Purest 78

MS line-up has been stagnant ever since Phill took over as head of MS games. I was tired of Halo and gears before this gen started never liked Forza. Infact over my 30+ years of gaming MS has the weakest 1st party output I've seen for a major console maker.

So personally I don't think MS cares about change I'd love to see it though.

I wouldn't make late '90s Sega comparisons at all. Xbox still has solid game support (unlike Sega at the time due to them releasing so many systems to the point in which devs didn't know what to support) and online gaming/services to make money from weren't around in the console space back then either.

The comparison wasn't meant to be perfect, in addition to what you said, the Dreamcast also had a MUCH better exclusives lineup than Microsoft's had in years. The point was that Sega was in a very difficult position and just didn't have the resources to not only compete but make up ground they'd already lost. That's the perception I get when looking at Xbox these days. They're in a position where even if they matched Sony blow for blow, they'd still end up losing ground, but they don't even appear to have the resources to do that.

And like I said, obviously the biggest difference between the two is Xbox is owned by a company with a shitload of resources, they're just not giving that division the resources they need. Unless they do, nothing is going to change, it's only going to get worse.

I am not in any way trying to defend Microsoft and their lack of IP's but that has more to do with an overrated developer who can't seem to ever get a game out in a reasonable amount of time.

MS line-up has been stagnant ever since Phill took over as head of MS games. I was tired of Halo and gears before this gen started never liked Forza. Infact over my 30+ years of gaming MS has the weakest 1st party output I've seen for a major console maker.

So personally I don't think MS cares about change I'd love to see it though.

When I saw 343 created to just make Halo AND The Coalition/Black Tusk team get directed to making a Gears Of War game and stop production on the new IP they were working on that to me was the writing on the wall

Caayn

Given this Scorpio seems like such a weird move. It made sense 3 years ago when 900p debates were all the rage, but the conversation has since moved onto software.
That's a strange coincidences don't you think?

Playstation has the upper hand in hardware: Resolution is all that matters, anything less than 1080p is not worthy my time.
Xbox has the upper hand in hardware: Exclusives matter, who cares about the resolution if it can't play good games.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Wii U had many great exclusives. Sold horribly. It's simply about having a constant stream of good games regardless of whether they're exclusive or not. PS4 would do horribly without its thrid party multiplat support. Xbox One hasn't done that hot this year so far as there's been droughts in its "AAA attention grabbing"-game lineup.

Wii U is such an oddity because it shares game's with the Switch, which are performing better on the latter. It's definitely not a black and white situation, because with Wii U it seemed like the hardware itself was such a turn off for most people that great exclusives couldn't even save it.

Playstation has the upper hand in hardware: Resolution is all that matters, anything less than 1080p is not worthy my time.
Xbox has the upper hand in hardware: Exclusives matter, who cares about the resolution if it can't play good games.
Not...really? Unless you think people getting used to the differences and Digital Foundry threads gradually getting less and less attention over the years was a calculated effort to take the wind out of the X1X's sails.

But I'm guessing by the responses that might be a real theory.

Wii U is such an oddity because it shares game's with the Switch, which are performing better on the latter. It's definitely not a black and white situation, because with Wii U it seemed like the hardware itself was such a turn off for most people that great exclusives couldn't even save it.

I think the Wii U proves that great software can only take your system so far if it's an undesirable dumpster fire. The Wii U is the only system I've ever purchased that I almost immediately regretted. Everything about it annoyed me.

Bgamer90

Banned
The comparison wasn't meant to be perfect, in addition to what you said, the Dreamcast also had a MUCH better exclusives lineup than Microsoft's had in years.

Exclusives back during the Dreamcast era mattered far more as exclusives were the true AAA games. Things shifted as the PS2/Xbox/GC gen progressed with multiplats getting bigger budgets and now multiplats are pretty much the major attention grabbing titles.

The point was that Sega was in a very difficult position and just didn't have the resources to not only compete but make up ground they'd already lost. That's the perception I get when looking at Xbox these days. They're in a position where even if they matched Sony blow for blow, they'd still end up losing ground, but they don't even appear to have the resources to do that.

They'll never catch up to Sony even if MS did everything right. Playstation simply has more worldwide brand recognition and history. The PS3 showed this as the PS3 was still selling well in many territories outside of North America regardless of the constant criticism it received during the time.

It further shows/proves my point that people want systems that have a constant stream of good games regardless of whether they are exclusive or not. Playstation and Xbox are known for this due to their third party support thus causing people to have faith that they will always have games to play by using consoles from either brand as their primary gaming box.

Rolf NB

Tell that to the wii u
Which was mentioned several times but ignored
Multiplats are software, too. The Wii U wasn't particularly fit for attracting those.

Meanwhile, more than half of Nintendo's first party was busy riding / pushing the 3DS wave, mostly in Japan, at the expense of the Wii U globally. Nintendo recognized this as a problem because otherwise they wouldn't rectify it, which they are doing right now by unification of all internal dev resources on the Switch.

Nintendo exclusive titles were in fact the saving grace of the Wii U, but the software offering was far from strong if you look at the competition.

Meaning, it's still been about software, even for the Wii U.

Bgamer90

Banned

And again, the Wii U's constant game droughts didn't help at all. The Switch is constantly getting attention because there's at least one major game coming to the system every month just as the case has been during the majority of the PS4's and Xbox One's life (whether exclusive or multiplat). The Switch is being talked about by many at the same rate the PS4 and Xbox One were talked about during the majority of this gen because of that.

The Wii U on the other hand had periods in which it literally went 6-7 months without a major title. That fact combined with its terrible marketing/branding caused many people to not even know what the Wii U was. The Xbox brand (and obviously PlayStation brand) will never be in the position that the Wii U was as long as they continue on getting solid AAA third party support and that seems to be the case for at least these next 2-3 years.

Ascenion

I wouldn't say it's a coincidence it's the general roadmap of a generation. It's about graphics, then graphics hit a seeming peak and then it's about software.

It's always about games though, you need those to showcase the graphics which still isn't in the Xbox One X's favor. It has Forza and some 3rd party titles. I do concede the Pro didn't get its showcase title until he next year either.

SimonM7

With the xbox one, I feel like they just completely went for the market of online gaming dudebros without a pc and they have pretty much completely lost me. I have zero interest in getting an xbox one or scorpio.

I don't think any of their output specifically this gen has hit that demographic in particular. Killer Instinct, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Ori, Dead Rising, ReCore... I mean the dudebroiest games this gen have been Gears and Halo, and they're... They're Gears and Halo. :eek:

Other IP that carry forward, like Forza Horizon 3, is a blue skies feel good vacation, and needs you to be neither dude nor bro.

Remasters have focused on obscure games like Phantom Dust and Voodoo Vince. The latter may require that you're a voodoo bro, I dunno.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The Wii U on the other hand had periods in which it literally went 6-7 months without a major title. That fact combined with its terrible marketing/branding caused many people to not even know what the Wii U was. The Xbox brand will never be in the position that the Wii U was as long as they continue on getting solid AAA third party support and that seems to be the case for at least these next 2-3 years.

I think this is going to be a generation unlike what we've seen in the past. Xbox will stay afloat thanks to third parties and the occasional first party game. But I can see Switch overtaking it as time goes by, with Xbox falling into third place. How that affects them is anyone's guess, but I imagine they'll be ok as long as their games are doing well on both Xbox and PC.

Humdinger

If I was calling the shots, outside of the core franchises, I'd be focused on RPGs, adventure and narrative heavy games.

I wish you were calling the shots, because those are exactly the kind of games you won't see from MS.

This is one of my gripes -- the GaaSy direction they are taking. Even the few new exclusives we will see are likely to be GaaS, e.g., multiplayer shooters or MMO-type games, loaded with MTs and all the rest. Bleh. I've got no interest in that stuff.

Now the Switch has taken off, I've got to ask what the Xbox has to offer to differentiate it from the Switch/Ps4/PC. It has nothing.

We're getting a little carried away with the "Xbox is Sega" and "Xbox has nothing to differentiate it" stuff. Let's stay grounded.

MS is making a tidy profit off of Xbox. It is nowhere near failing. It is selling about as well as its predecessor, which was a success. It looks poor by comparison with PS4, but Pepsi looks poor in comparison with Coke, and Pepsi is still raking in the money.

As for differentiators, there are a whole range, including a large number of exclusives (not large enough, but large), XBL, good services, controller, and (soon) more powerful hardware.

Yeah, I wonder why, lol.

No, not really. I just think it matters more at the beginning of a generation and becomes less relevant as the consoles saturate the market. As Uno mentioned, even Digital Foundry threads here stopped getting as much attention. It becomes more about software that can draw people in who weren't pulled in because of the power stuff or what not.

So, at the beginning of next generation, the power thing will be used to push the consoles again.

Rolf NB

Yeah, no one talks about fps and 4k anymore

Are you even being serious
Enthusiasts gonna enthusiast. And enthusiasting is good, mind. But the volumes are made elsewhere: "And of every five PlayStation 4s Sony sells, Layden says one is a PlayStation 4 Pro"

PS4Pro is a margin generator, goodwill generator, and that's that. The platform developers actually target, that actually attracts them, is the 60 million+ "PS4" built by (now) a <=300$ entry price and consistent delivery of diverse software, exclusive or otherwise.

Do expect the ratio of Xbox One X : Xbox One [all] to be even lower than 1 : 5. The price gap is double of the PS4Pro : PS4 reference case. 4k won't change the course of this generation for jack shit.

Purest 78

MS execs on this forum said No way they'd give the power advantage to Sony. There was all this DX12,The cloud,Secret sauce being a advantage for X1.

Turns out it was a bunch of BS people paid $100 more for a less capable Console. Better looking games matter when paying $100 less, infact it's a easy choice for many.

If X1 launched cheaper than Ps4 you really think ps4 having advantages would have been a huge deal? I don't think so price sets expectations for any product.

Bgamer90

Banned
I think this is going to be a generation unlike what we've seen in the past. Xbox will stay afloat thanks to third parties and the occasional first party game. But I can see Switch overtaking it as time goes by, with Xbox falling into third place. How that affects them is anyone's guess, but I imagine they'll be ok as long as their games are doing well on both Xbox and PC.

I would say it's already unlike any gen we've seen in the past thanks to the mid gen consoles. I definitely think it's possible for the Switch to overtake the Xbox One in overall sales but it will depend on how Nintendo can constantly deliver major titles for the system. They are releasing so many heavy hitters on a monthly basis that it's making me really interested in what the Switch will have after 2018 but on the flip side I could also see Nintendo releasing a remodeled Switch by then to help console sales.

So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the Switch overtakes Xbox One in 2019 in the same fashion and gap the PS3 overtook Xbox 360 (i.e. a couple million). I'm thinking both consoles will be around the 45-50 million mark around that time.

It's hard to know if the 'selling as well as the 360' narrative is even true anymore considering they've given up on releasing hardware #'s.

Humdinger

Citation needed.
Citation needed.
Citation needed.

I'm not going to do your homework for you. But you can check MS financials if you think Xbox isn't profitable.

It's hard to know if the 'selling as well as the 360' narrative is even true anymore considering they've given up on releasing hardware #'s.

It is. But it's not hard to develop reasonable estimates. Most on SalesGAF would tell you X1 has been tracking approximately with 360 most of the gen, but it has fallen behind lately. The degree of falling behind is a matter of disagreement -- some say it's a little, some say it's more than a little.

Bgamer90

Banned

Xbox 360 reached 40 million in early 2010 -- around 4.5 years after the system launched.

Early 2018 will be 4.5 years after the Xbox One launched.

Based on "2:1" vs. PS4, I would think the Xbox One is a little bit over 30 million right now.

It all depends on how the Xbox One S and X does this Holiday season. Either way though I'm expecting the Xbox One to pretty much fall behind Xbox 360 in 2018. It may not be during the early part of the year but I can't see how the Xbox One will have anything to keep up with how well the 360 sold during its time once we get close to 2019.

Top Bottom