• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft shutting down Xbox Entertainment Studios (TV studio, 200 employees)

I liked the idea at the start, but God damn if it wasn't horribly managed. 8 months later and they only have 1 of their shows up, no word at all about the Halo show and just the Atari documentary (which I still hope gets released on Xbox).

They had no idea how to even distribute it. Gold exclusive? Xbox One exclusive? Though Xbox Video or a special entertainment app? The soccer show had it's own app with the shows which was just weird to me.

As much as I like my Xbox One and Xbox 360, MS is realizing that apps and entertainment isn't going to sell Gold subs (ex. shutting the studio and not locking Netflix/Hulu behind Gold. People buy them to play online and get the monthly games. Release games people want to play online (Halo: MCC for exsmple) and people will shell out the $30-$60 for XBLG.

Another relic of the Mattrick era thrown to the garbage like it should be and that's a good thing. Xbox's total focus needs to be games and since Nadella took over as CEO and Spencer has been Xbox head, they've been good at doing that. I just watched a video yesterday of Satya saying something along the lines of. "Xbox is a gaming brand and we need to be good at games and focus our studios and resources on that."

The entire Microsoft Xbox strategy remains flawed to the point of borderline insanity.

The notion of "taking over the living room" is completely outdated. Look around your living room some time. Count the number of people in it, then count the number of screens in it. I'll guarantee you that there are at a minimum at least as many screens as people, and sometimes more.

The notion of "taking over the living room" is insane in 2014. There is no living room to take over. Everyone - kids, adults, seniors - has their own universe of entertainment in their hands at every moment. A set-top box with the Xbox name on it plugged into a TV is a ludicrous idea that only out-of-touch executives think makes sense.

The entire Xbox strategy is a failure, and if they keep going down this path the entire business will cease to exist.

Doc_Drop

RichyDevil - Excellent point, games systems should be games systems and it help in the long run if all console manufacturers remembered this

So, are all the shows they announced canceled? Because if so, great job Microsoft. Enjoy even more of my money you won't be getting. I was genuinely looking forward to many of the shows that were announced.

Really?

So now you're going to stop paying for xbox live?

Excellent point, games systems should be games systems and it help in the long run if all console manufacturers remembered this

This. Just open up your app store and let third parties fill the gaps. Just focus on making great games and driving the cost of the platform ever lower.

EagleEyes

Man oh man, Xbox One is like an entirely different planet from where it started as.
Makes sense after the 2 people who obviously shaped the Xbox One in its early stage are gone( Mattrick and Ballmer). Seems like the Xbox brand will be a much better place moving forward imo.

I have a hard time believing anyone who is saying they're going to cancel Xbox Live because they're not going to be getting half-baked TV shows.

iwannaseethereceipts.gif

Man oh man, Xbox One is like an entirely different planet from where it started as.

And that's a damn good thing. All of their money should be focused on game development and studios.

The entire Microsoft Xbox strategy remains flawed to the point of borderline insanity.

The notion of "taking over the living room" is completely outdated. Look around your living room some time. Count the number of people in it, then count the number of screens in it. I'll guarantee you that there are at a minimum at least as many screens as people, and sometimes more.

The notion of "taking over the living room" is insane in 2014. There is no living room to take over. Everyone - kids, adults, seniors - has their own universe of entertainment in their hands at every moment. A set-top box with the Xbox name on it plugged into a TV is a ludicrous idea that only out-of-touch executives think makes sense.

The entire Xbox strategy is a failure, and if they keep going down this path the entire business will cease to exist.

The reason you're seeing all these changes is because they have a new CEO and new Xbox head and they have a clear vision. Cut the fluff, focus on what you're good at and put out compelling software to make people want to buy your product.

Hey if that's his priority then good luck to him. I just don't see it making a dent in the top and bottom line of a $370B company.

Also, just because a CEO says something doesn't mean he will do it. They are motivational speakers and salesman first and foremost. It wouldn't exactly be smart to say "we don't care about Xbox".

He could just not say anything since it was an email directed to its employees and not the media.

Grok4Spock

The entire Sony PlayStation strategy remains flawed to the point of borderline insanity.

The notion of "taking over the living room" is insane in 2014. There is no living room to take over. Everyone - kids, adults, seniors - has their own universe of entertainment in their hands at every moment. A set-top box with the PlayStation name on it plugged into a TV is a ludicrous idea that only out-of-touch executives think makes sense.

The entire PlayStation strategy is a failure, and if they keep going down this path the entire business will cease to exist.

Works the same way... Xbox is and will hopefully always be a gaming brand. It just took a change of leadership to get it back on track.

Works the same way... Xbox is and will hopefully always be a gaming brand. It just took a change of leadership to get it back on track.

Ha! I see what you did there.

And you're completely right. Maybe I just haven't been listening, of course, but I don't recall Sony execs talking about "taking over the living room." Because if they did, I would make the exact same exasperated statement.

MS is changing from "software company" to "content and software" to "devices and services" they know that the enterteinment is a very difficult market to get profits, not only because of piracy but also because they started from scratch

EGM1966

While it's always a shame to see job losses I always thought this approach was foolish and a waste of time & resources.

Wonder if they'll keep the HDMI in and efforts around the TV guide or consider dropping that angle too to further reduce price of the console and simplify the message?

Biker19

Banned

This. The battle for the living room was over a long time ago starting with Tablets. Now Smart TV's, Apple TV's, Roku's, etc. are joining in on the party.

Microsoft managed to sacrifice better specs, especially for Kinect 2.0 (which also most likely took up the R&D for Xbox One), just so that they could focus on "taking over the living room." And because of that, they'll most likely suffer for it throughout multiplat games in the long run.

RichyDevil - Excellent point, gaming systems should be gaming systems, and it helps in the long run if all console manufacturers remembered this.

I definitely agree. Sony made the right choice to put gaming first, & multimedia second by not sacrificing better specs.

I think the 'take over the living room' vision contains elements of defensiveness from the same executives who so badly misjudged the importance that smartphones and tablets would take

EDIT:
MS is changing from "software company" to "content and software" to "devices and services"

They literally just issued a memo refuting the concept of "devices and services"

unfortunate to those future project
my best wishes to those effected as well

but this was a good move

MS shouldn't bloat their Xbox division with multiple random divisions... at least with Sony they have Columbia so they aren't starting from scratch but for MS this will help them in the long run

Mattrick really did a number on the XB1 launch. Big pointless NFL deals and programming nobody cared for outside of Halo. Luckily they actually have some solid games coming. Its just a shame they didn't invest more in the hardware aspect.

Stare-Bear

Banned
Mattrick really did a number on the XB1 launch. Big pointless NFL deals and programming nobody cared for outside of Halo. Luckily they actually have some solid games coming. Its just a shame they didn't invest more in the hardware aspect.

Yes, because Mattrick alone is responsible for what happened... So easy to pin it all on him.

Yes, because Mattrick alone is responsible for what happened... So easy to pin it all on him.

He was leading the group, above him was Ballmer who presumably signed off as well. I believe CBOAT once said "his vision his vault" (in less readable English)

Notice how of all the management from Xbox specifically, only Mattrick and Whitten have left and Whitten's departure was incredibly sudden considering he was due to do some Gamasutra talk and then suddenly went then Phil Spencer got his job a week or so later...

Miles X

Not surprised, MS have a history of not going all in and unless they do you can tell it's not going to work out. I never quite saw the point of it anyway.

At the very least, hopefully this refocuses them for their next console.

Drek

Except Sony is already in the middle of executing their pivot away from that old and failed paradigm. Hence why they've got PSNow coming to smart phones soon, push cross play and cross buy across their three platforms, and are trying to use those platforms to leverage Sony's media offerings (Music Unlimited for example) into consumer consciousness.

There is always a gateway worth owning. At one time everyone thought it would be a single set top box. Then smartphones and tablets exploded upon the world and it has now become clear that the path forward isn't a hardware gateway but a digital gateway.

In Sony's case it probably puts just enough lipstick on the pig to make them an appealing buy out once Kaz finishes the restructure. Either by someone with an established digital gateway (Google, Apple, Amazon) or someone with all the media muscle needed but lacking the gateway itself (Disney for example).

Microsoft is too big for that but falling too far behind the competition in establishing the digital presence needed. It's a dangerous situation for them as a company if in 5 years we're all using tablets and phones to access everything sans-Windows via store fronts run by all these other much more advanced competitors.

Makes sense after the 2 people who obviously shaped the Xbox One in its early stage are gone( Mattrick and Ballmer). Seems like the Xbox brand will be a much better place moving forward imo.

While the brand is moving back to a better place, it's still built around a box that was shaped by the old vision.

It has a tough row to hoe. It's going to need more exclusives, and quick.

Silky

Banned
Next stop, Rare, and then sell it to where it belongs....

Yes. Ditch the developer who is the main responsibility for a LOT of the UI decisions for the 360, and (like it or hate it) most of what Kinect is capable of today. That's a fucking brilliant idea.

Anywho. This is a shame for the people involved at XES.

Jock_Nerd

Banned
Fine with it. Wasn't interested in watching "The Guild" and other shows anyway.

Sorry for the job losses, though. Too bad. Stinks.

Monocle

I'm sorry for all the employees this will affect, and I'm also very pleased to see Microsoft distance themselves from their unfortunate focus on TV at the beginning of this console generation. When you try to make an all-in-one entertainment platform, you run a grave risk of delivering a box full of mediocre experiences. I think it's much better for game consoles to specialize. If your device is delivering outstanding performance and value along a narrow slice of the home entertainment spectrum, then it makes sense to expand the scope a bit with peripherals and premium services.

Good for MS. The XB1 is looking more appealing the more they turn their ship around. (I hope I'm not wrong in assuming the studio's closure will free up resources for game development.)

Fox Mulder

been saying this for years.

just a shame their console was compromised for gaming due to all the other shit. They drop that stuff and it's still just a weaker console than the ps4.

abadguy

Banned
fixed

Ninty, I'm ready:
unZil1kl.png

Yeah it's not happening. I like how MS revived KI and look forward to them doing so with more IP's, while they have people like Ken Lobb there i am sure we will see more revivals in the hands of competent devs be they Rare or whomever else. People need to drop this "sell Rare/Rare IP's" Back to Nintendo bullshit anyway. MS has no reason whatsoever to do so and Nintendo doesn't want them. GET OVER IT. It's getting old now.

and people didn't believe me when I said bad news was coming.
#NotCBOAT
#NotForumGURU
#Usingcommonsense

This is "bad news"? I thought people disliked the so called "TV TV TV" plan and wanted them to focus on games?

been saying this for years.

just a shame their console was compromised for gaming due to all the other shit. They drop that stuff and it's still just a weaker console than the ps4.

And? Does it being weaker somehow make it unable to produce great games?

Nairume

Banned
So it seems that some of the shows may not be dead in the water. This is what Shane Hensley (one of the guys behind the Deadlands property) just said about the present situation for Deadlands and Halo.

Shane here.
Rumors of the Deadlands live action series' demise, I'm happy to say, are greatly exaggerated.
It is true that Microsoft had a very large layoff today and closed what was called XBox Entertainment Studios. A number of projects are still in development with the exact same people, however, such as Steven Spielberg's (Exec Produced) Halo series AND Deadlands. Others will be announced one way or another in the days and weeks to come, I believe.
The shows may take on a different form than was originally envisioned, or they may be partnered with other networks as things are sorted out. And of course the project may still terminate at any time just like any entertainment project--that is always the case regardless of the parent company's actions or focus changes.

Pinnacle and I offer our support to all the XBox staff who were let go and the creators whose projects were cancelled. We know what a punch to the gut that can be--we've been through it many times and will go through it many more, we're sure. But we also know you will recover and move onward and upward with experience gained and lessons learned. These are unfortunate setbacks. They are not endings.

meow on to the positive news for Deadlands' fans.
Meetings were held between the writer / director and the XBox exec and creative teams yesterday (July 16). Both sides report that it was one of the best meetings they've ever had, with ideas flying and enthusiasm high. The group is meow working on the series' outline and pilot revisions, and when we're able and if things continue to move ahead, we'll announce the writer / director and at least a little bit about the actual content of the series itself.
Thanks very much to all those who sent IMs, emails, texts, and phone calls to us to offer their support.

So, apparently, much like DRM and Kinect, XBox Entertainment Studios is no longer an 'essential component of the XBox One entertainment experience.'

Wat. Those aren't equivalent services, you fool. Sony's equivalent to Xbox Entertainment Studios is Sony Pictures...

SEN is Sony's online network. It's not going anywhere.

Are you sure? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Sony pictures was under Sony Computer Entertainment then wouldn't that be the equivalent? What comes out of Sonys Movie/TV/Music studios/divisions aren't restricted to only Sony devices and services.

Are you sure? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Sony pictures was under Sony Computer Entertainment then wouldn't that be the equivalent? What comes out of Sonys Movie/TV/Music studios/divisions aren't restricted to only Sony devices and services.

Yes, I'm sure. You're taking what I said far too literally. If you're looking for an entertainment division within SCE then you're not going to have much luck because there isn't one.

SCE, Sony Pictures and SEN are three separate divisions within Sony. Shows like Powers are collaborations between all three, with Sony Pictures producing the shows, SEN providing the network and SCE providing the platform.

And whatever comes out of Sony Pictures or Sony Music is restricted to whatever Sony wants them to be restricted to. What makes you think they HAVE to release their content everywhere?

Sydle

Who are you talking to?

When in the last 5 years have they talked about taking over the living room?

Biker19

Banned
Who are you talking to?

When in the last 5 years have they talked about taking over the living room?

That was Microsoft's plan from the get-go, even at the beginning of the Original Xbox. They just waited too late to do it for Xbox One.

Not only that, there was many hints about them constantly talking about "Media, Sports, TV," etc. since E3 2011.

Top Bottom