• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft shutting down Xbox Entertainment Studios (TV studio, 200 employees)

been saying this for years.

just a shame their console was compromised for gaming due to all the other shit. They drop that stuff and it's still just a weaker console than the ps4.

Let's be honest a lot of people suspected the living room strategy well before the console was announced. You only had to look at previous E3's to see where the strategy was going. It's a shame if you ask me and all these turnarounds could of been prevented had more people with a major say in it's birth and development knew what the majority of the Xbox audience was.

Who are you talking to?

When in the last 5 years have they talked about taking over the living room?

is this a real post

first result on google http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/8/5075216/xbox-one-tv-microsofts-plan-to-take-over-the-living-room

"If you want to be the soul of the living room, you really have to have a great TV experience," Smith says. "Otherwise people will just be switching you out on inputs."
"The living room is a special place," Marc Whitten tells me. "It’s not about just sticking a computer underneath your TV."

Sucks for the employee but a good idea overall. I can't imagine that the venture would have been all that profitable unless they just did nothing but make homerun blockbuster shows.

Sydle

is this a real post

first result on google http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/8/5075216/xbox-one-tv-microsofts-plan-to-take-over-the-living-room

"If you want to be the soul of the living room, you really have to have a great TV experience," Smith says. "Otherwise people will just be switching you out on inputs."
"The living room is a special place," Marc Whitten tells me. "It’s not about just sticking a computer underneath your TV."

Real post lol

Shows you how closely I was paying attention. I don't have cable, so I don't know a lot about what the Xbox One does with TV, nor do I care to hear it.

In any case, you can find Xbox apps and games on other devices and services. With Nadella's charge it won't be long before Xbox is thought of on multiple devices.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
You have to admire MS for doing these decisions. Painful but necessary corrections for previous fuck ups.

Admire them? Are you fucking serious? This isn't a person making a mistake and doing something hard to own up to it, this is a company making a strategic blunder that's hurting the bottom line then screwing over all the people they hired to go implement their stupid idea. There are zero admirable qualities to this.

fixed

Ninty, I'm ready:
unZil1kl.png

Sounds good...

El Sloth

Banned
This is a shame. I thought it was an interesting way of differentiating themselves from the competition and add more value to Gold subscription.

harSon

Banned
So, apparently, much like DRM and Kinect, XBox Entertainment Studios is no longer an 'essential component of the XBox One entertainment experience.'

No shit.

When you purchase a house, do you keep everything as is or do you put your own spin on it? The same concept applies here. Microsoft just underwent a major top down reorganization, and there's a new CEO in town. It's not that surprising that priorities were reshuffled alongside these changes.

Having said that, I'm definitely bummed. I'm always down for more quality television :(

Yeah it's not happening. I like how MS revived KI and look forward to them doing so with more IP's, while they have people like Ken Lobb there i am sure we will see more revivals in the hands of competent devs be they Rare or whomever else. People need to drop this "sell Rare/Rare IP's" Back to Nintendo bullshit anyway. MS has no reason whatsoever to do so and Nintendo doesn't want them. GET OVER IT. It's getting old now.

Actually there's rumor of a new diddy kong racer and nintendo buying back some characters from said game.

Biker19

Banned
I'm simply amazed you haven't been banned by now, your fear-mongering has become laughable.

I didn't even know that it was over the course for one year.

I'm getting tired of you annoying me. Stop making trouble & stop antagonizing me, start respecting my opinions, & GROW THE FUCK UP.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Well that's about all the chaff pulled outta their box now correct? Hopefully they're streamlined enough now they can keep their momentum going.

I would have really really loved to be a fly on the wall during all the meetings where they greenlit TV all day ery-day. I've never seen a product go through such dramatic change and not completely bomb out hard. So good on em for that.

I'm getting tired of you annoying me. Stop making trouble & stop antagonizing me, start respecting my opinions, & GROW THE FUCK UP.

How can anyone honestly respect your opinions when they are just rehearsed attempts to be as dramatic as possible? As for growing up I think you need to take your own advice. I've never seen anyone so determined in trying to paint such a bleak future for the Xbox brand as you. You take everything out of context to fit your own agenda. How many times have you repeated the lines they are going to sell off or get rid of Xbox? Now you're trying to imply they have 1 billion dollars and that's it for the entire generation to spend on games. You've made it perfectly clear your position and it certainly doesn't sound like it's coming from a grown adult. It's a fucking game console, not the end of the world if it stays or goes.

They are trying to change the image of the XBox One, more appealing as a game console with the head guy being the most gamer of the bunch and all the way we have you screaming a bunch of nonsense like some spoiled child.

Biker19

Banned
How can anyone honestly respect your opinions when they are just rehearsed attempts to be as dramatic as possible? As for growing up I think you need to take your own advice. I've never seen anyone so determined in trying to paint such a bleak future for the Xbox brand as you.

"Rehearsed attempts?" Right, in your own world. You got many people who dislike Xbox now, yet you're still focusing on me, & I'm getting tired of it.

You take everything out of context to fit your own agenda. How many times have you repeated the lines they are going to sell off or get rid of Xbox? Now you're trying to imply they have 1 billion dollars and that's it for the entire generation to spend on games.

I take things out of context sometimes & make mistakes. I don't do that "to fit my own agenda." You however, always like to single me out whenever I talk about Microsoft, always want to pick fights with people like me for no reason, & it's downright annoying & tiring. You did it in the past, & have no intentions of stopping. And I'm fed up with it.

I've never had as much trouble with a poster on any given messageboard like I had with you. You either start respecting my opinions like I do with you & everyone else, or don't bother replying to me at all. DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?!?

The entire Microsoft Xbox strategy remains flawed to the point of borderline insanity.

The notion of "taking over the living room" is completely outdated. Look around your living room some time. Count the number of people in it, then count the number of screens in it. I'll guarantee you that there are at a minimum at least as many screens as people, and sometimes more.

The notion of "taking over the living room" is insane in 2014. There is no living room to take over. Everyone - kids, adults, seniors - has their own universe of entertainment in their hands at every moment. A set-top box with the Xbox name on it plugged into a TV is a ludicrous idea that only out-of-touch executives think makes sense.

The entire Xbox strategy is a failure, and if they keep going down this path the entire business will cease to exist.
That's a good point, but I don't think the transition has happened completely yet. Sure, everyone I know nowadays have a smartphone and/or tablet, but also everyone I know when it comes to consume watchable media still do on their comfy couches and big ass TVs... For instance, isn't netflix used mostly by console users, despite being available on pretty much every device under the sun, with many times the installed base as all consoles combined?

And even when there are many devices in the same room getting content from these devices to the big screen is still a hassle and far from being dominated. There's no widespread solution for solving this issue, and most of the candidates are not even good enough for the task. The best non console solution I've seen to this problem is chromecast, which instead of sending content from one device to another sends an application so the miracast itself can connect to the internet and get the content (where applicable of course, as Google now added support for streaming to chromecast too), but even that doesn't hold a candle compared to the commodity that is using xbone with kinect to consume media, specially when you throw handling multiple streams and multitasking into the mix.

Sure, most of that will depend on Ms to provide compelling experiences, but even though they are moving slowly, they seem to be doing a great job. Snapping apps that improve socialization in games, dedicated apps for sports and other events already shows great promise on their one device to rule them all moniker. Going from a game to a soccer game after receiving notification that an match is about to start, receive realtime data from that and other matches, and at the same time being able to connect with your friends, or even go back and forth between the match and a game is a real example that already makes xbone feels like it's something more. I really really, really don't want them to abandon that vision.

Vast.

Banned

You either start respecting my opinions like I do with you & everyone else, or don't bother replying to me at all. DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?!?
Dude, take your blood pressure medication.

Right on schedule. You really can't make this stuff up. LOL

Apparently he can.

Anyways it's clear Phil Spencer is seeing the results happening with Sony and how they can identify with their fans much more so than Microsoft has in the past. It's why his message is about games and has been since he took over. Of course we will have to wait and see exactly how that transpires in the future. I'd like to see more of a commitment to building internal studios that create new ideas, not just brought in to keep making the same games.

Dude, take your blood pressure medication.

I guess the ignore feature is just too difficult.

boltz

The popularity of Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, and Amazon's pilot initiative show that there's an audience there for exclusive content programming. I don't know if Halo is ever going to be that killer app though. Better to spend the money on games.

Ballmer and Mattrick's 5-year plans for the Xbox division have been almost completely dismantled.

Halo is popular, but no way does it have the same type of mainstream popularity as those shows you mentioned.

Sayter

Next stop, Rare, and then sell it to where it belongs....

Belongs where? The talent who brought the classics to the SNES and n64 are gone? It exists in name only. If anything maybe Microsoft would sell back the IPs they bought. But Rare, as an entity, is gone. Has been for a while.

Biker19

Banned
Belongs where? The talent who brought the classics to the SNES and n64 are gone? It exists in name only. If anything maybe Microsoft would sell back the IPs they bought. But Rare, as an entity, is gone. Has been for a while.

I agree. The Rare of today isn't the Rare that we know back before the Wii/360/PS3 era.

Sorry, I'm just very angry. Months & months he antagonizes me for my opinions, & I'm just tired of it.

See there? He hasn't changed. Telling other posters to ignore me, etc. Just a troublemaker.

I'm suggesting that you use the ignore feature to ignore me since it is quite clear you're an unstable person. You're also putting a huge target on yourself by the amount of crap you say.

No use even trying to debate Guevara.

Microsoft's E3 is all about Games, new CEO cuts fat from Xbox to focus on games.

"Focusing on games is likely not a priority for Microsoft though"

Right on schedule. You really can't make this stuff up. LOL

This person commented right after you posted about Microsoft having to budget that 1 billion dollar comment of yours. So why did you ignore his/her comment and not mine? They called you out of your crap too so it's not like I'm the only who notices.

You know why you're getting upset? It's the same reason why Microsoft makes you so upset, you take everything far too seriously. It's a fucking hobby we all enjoy and here you are ranting and raving like Microsoft raped and pillaged your entire family. Every chance you get you make the same stupid comments.

Biker19

Banned
I'm suggesting that you use the ignore feature to ignore me since it is quite clear you're an unstable person. You're also putting a huge target on yourself by the amount of crap you say.

See what I mean, guys? Now I'm a "unstable person," though it's not the first time that he throws insults at me. That's why I hate people like that. So yeah, I'll just put you on ignore.

Plus "putting a huge target of myself" even though I make mistakes sometimes & that other people are still against Microsoft in general. But whatever.

Next stop, Rare, and then sell it to where it belongs....

I'm honestly hoping they just hand Rare a blank check and tell them to make magic. A truly next-gen Perfect Dark, Banjo, or Conker would be great. I can't help but feel like PD:Zero was rushed, Banjo Nuts and Bolts wasn't marketed properly, and Conker shouldn't be relegated to a prop in Project Spark.

Halo is popular, but no way does it have the same type of mainstream popularity as those shows you mentioned.

That actually is a great point on both sides. What MS could have done is worked with a company like Netflix to air content on their(much more popular) streaming service. It would be a win for fans and the companies. Netflix gets to say it has more exclusive content and MS gets the free advertising of having their brands on Netflix.

No shit.

When you purchase a house, do you keep everything as is or do you put your own spin on it? The same concept applies here. Microsoft just underwent a major top down reorganization, and there's a new CEO in town. It's not that surprising that priorities were reshuffled alongside these changes.

Salty? No it's not surprising that Nadella is getting rid of some badly executed dead weight that has been detrimental both to the company and the launch of the system itself, obviously that was the entire point of my post.

I'm always down for more quality television :(

Me too, but like most folks I don't seek it out on a videogame console as an almost all-encompassing and central feature, glad to see Nadella gets it and that he and Phil Spencer can see what a waste of time that little endeavor is at this point.

Edit: That said, sorry of course for the folks losing their jobs even if I don't agree with various things their division was leveraging on the system.

abadguy

Banned
Actually there's rumor of a new diddy kong racer and nintendo buying back some characters from said game.

Wake me when it becomes a fact. Till then it's fanfiction.

Admire them? Are you fucking serious? This isn't a person making a mistake and doing something hard to own up to it, this is a company making a strategic blunder that's hurting the bottom line then screwing over all the people they hired to go implement their stupid idea. There are zero admirable qualities to this.

More like the new people in charge changing things that the old people in charge put into place. Happens all the time.

Nintendo could release a Diddy Kong racing game tomorrow, the fact that it wouldn't have Banjo wouldn't matter. But why would they bother with a kart racing game when Mario Kart 8 is printing money? Diddy Kong is a virtual unknown compared to Mario. Also with the new focus on games at MS I doubt they would sell off any IP, at least for the time being.

Exactly, it would pretty much make zero sense whatsoever on their part, to sell off IPs when they could just reboot them like they have been doing since this gen started.

I agree. The Rare of today isn't the Rare that we know back before the Wii/360/PS3 era.

The exact same thing can be said of every development house that has been around for 20+ years. Frankly i have a hard time buying that the ones that left were the only talent in all of Europe.

Wake me when it becomes a fact. Till then it's fanfiction.

Nintendo could release a Diddy Kong racing game tomorrow, the fact that it wouldn't have Banjo wouldn't matter. But why would they bother with a kart racing game when Mario Kart 8 is printing money? Diddy Kong is a virtual unknown compared to Mario. Also with the new focus on games at MS I doubt they would sell off any IP, at least for the time being.

blackjaw

Sorry to hear all those people lost their jobs but honestly the vision of XES was flawed from the start and it seemed like they were searching for a purpose.

Which studio is working on the Quantum Break stuff?

That is what I am wondering too...

Remedy. Quantum Break is a video game.

I guarantee that when Quantum Break comes out it will just be a game with some quirky Remedy style live action footage.

Well

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/12/4420924/quantum-break-xbox-one-remedy-e3-2013

Lake says TV show episodes will run about 30 minutes in length, and the first season of the show and Quantum Break's game content will all ship at once.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...antum-break-includes-tv-show-episodes-on-disc

Xbox One sci-fi adventure Quantum Break will ship with episodes of its tie-in TV show included on its disc.

Rather than being a spin-off or separate entity, the episodes will fit snugly within the game's ongoing narrative and adapt to reflect the choices you've made

Filming 30 minute segments doesn't sound like quirky in-game footage.

Biker19

Banned
The exact same thing can be said of every development house that has been around for 20+ years.

I say 20 to 30 years, especially most Japanese 3rd party developers nowadays like Capcom, Square-Enix (used to be SquareSoft), Sega, & Konami. They used to make awesome games, from the Arcade & NES days, to the Dreamcast/PS2/Gamecube/Original Xbox days.

Ever since during the middle of the Wii/360/PS3 era, they became a shadow of their former selves (though at least Square's trying to improve with games like Bravely Default & Tomb Raider, not to mention that they're trying to fix the tarnished reputation of Final Fantasy).

Thank goodness for Nintendo & Sony, as well as smaller/mid-tier Japanese 3rd party publishers like WayForward, Vanillaware, MarvelousAQL, Falcom / Xseed Games, Platinum Games, Atlus, FROM Software, Nippon Ichi Software, Tri-Ace, Comcept, & Koei-Tecmo that are helping to pick up the slack.

Azull

That is an unfortunate amount of lost jobs. That just straight up sucks for those people man. Hopefully they all land on their feet.

So I heard that MS only had a $1b gaming budget for the entire generation?

That's rather low...but it does explain why their output in the latter years of the 360 was so lacking.

Come on, MS. Step up yo' game. Make it $1.1b and you'll own the world.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Are Sony really moving into original programming though? How many original shows do they have in production?

I can only think of Powers.

Well, yeah, they only have one thing lined up at the moment. Still, it has to start somewhere, and they felt it was important enough to ruin their E3 conference for.

But how many things did MS have lined up for Xbox, after two years? The ET documentary, Halo, and ???.

Well, yeah, they only have one thing lined up at the moment. Still, it has to start somewhere, and they felt it was important enough to ruin their E3 conference for.

But how many things did MS have lined up for Xbox, after two years? The ET documentary, Halo, and ???.

They actually had a number in development...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809251

Who really knows how far into developments these were, could have just been the early planning stages or they could have gotten as far as filming...

Facism

Sorry, I'm just very angry. Months & months he antagonizes me for my opinions, & I'm just tired of it.

Right..."Making shit up." Please stop.

See there? He hasn't changed. Telling other posters to ignore me, etc. Just a troublemaker.

pm a mod about it?

Alx

Boonnaroo has aired already, and Every Street United is being broadcasted right now (there are 5 or 6 episodes out, I think). I had watched the first episodes and only tried the interactive parts yesterday (small polls and a minigame "spot those objects in the image"), there may be some potential in the concept but that first draft was very minimal.
But after using it and thinking about the world cup application that had more advanced polling, there could be interesting ideas there indeed. Like have a show with real time popularity contests (even for episode-specific characters), have people speculate on the following of the story (who did it ? will he die ? will they end up together ?...)

It seems silly, but it was quite fun (although pointless) during the WC to vote "Nah that was totally not a penalty !".

So I heard that MS only had a $1b gaming budget for the entire generation?

That's rather low...but it does explain why their output in the latter years of the 360 was so lacking.

Come on, MS. Step up yo' game. Make it $1.1b and you'll own the world.

That's the budget for one year and was a poor attempt at trolling by biker19. Think about it, they spent 1 billion just to cover the expenses from the RRoD issue last generation, do you honestly think they would only have a budget of 1 billion to last at least 5 years? Activision spent 500 million to contract Bungie for Destiny.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/05/31/xbox-one-games-budget-1-billion/

That's the budget for one year and was a poor attempt at trolling by biker19. Think about it, they spent 1 billion just to cover the expenses from the RRoD issue last generation, do you honestly think they would only have a budget of 1 billion to last at least 5 years? Activision spent 500 million to contract Bungie for Destiny.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/05/31/xbox-one-games-budget-1-billion/

I do recall them saying this budget was for just 1 year, but I'm also curious as to what that is being spent on. MC Collection, Black Tusk, Sunset Overdrive, and Forza can't cost that. It makes me wonder if that is indeed factoring in unannounced projects from the studios they've gotten on their spending spree lately(such as Black Tusk)

Top Bottom