• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

moka

I think it's more that she is seems eager to play the victim and would make a PR/legal mess for them if they try to nix her project.

I'm sure KS just wants this to go away.

I too have a feeling that this is a case considering they took so long to respond to the controversy.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Actually he just posted something new. That this is about Kenzie, which is why he donated. *facepalm* Kenzie isn't old enough to run the show. Guess who is though? SURPRISE! It's Susan. And do we think we can trust her with money? Why should we? She's not alleviated anyone's fears.

Yeah, that last part is just left off as it is. I'm assuming he hit enter too soon.
If he only cares about Kenzie, then surely he knows she isn't interested at all in making the game? The video left that completely clear.

And since when making an online crowfunding project to "prove my sons wrong" is being a loving mom?

Muku

If he only cares about Kenzie, then surely he knows she isn't interested at all in making the game? The video left that completely clear.

And since when making an online crowfunding project to "prove my sons wrong" is being a loving mom?

It's funny you mention that, because when I read that all I could think of is "Surely he hasn't seen the video, right? Right??" Unless he's playing a blind eye to it, or since it's not uploaded by Susan doesn't consider it official or something, who knows.

Maybe Susan is considered a loving mom now for making one of her sons a saint? First she threw him under the bus, now she's acting like he is a saint. I could imagine maybe some females supporting this saying "YEAH FEMALE POWER" or something, but a guy supporting this saying she is a loving mother? He hasn't even read her Kickstarter page at all. (No loving mom throws her children under the bus to sell something.)

inm8num2

Not enough palms for my face. Shame on people donating to this crook.

She's so inconsistent in her claims it's laughable, mang.

Joni

So, what is to stop people from flooding Kickstarter with similiar stuff now that they're allowing this? Because I'm really surprised 4Chan and Reddit haven't done it yet.

Vaco6121

So, what is to stop people from flooding Kickstarter with similiar stuff now that they're allowing this? Because I'm really surprised 4Chan and Reddit haven't done it yet.

I would think that everyone is waiting to see if the project will actually be funded by the end of it. If in 18 days when Susan's kickstarter gets funded there will be nothing to stop everyone else from doing this same thing. While kickstarter could shut down the projects that come after this, they are now screwed because they haven't follow their own rules/guidelines, and if they shut down any project that tries to do the same thing as Susan's the creator can just come back on them and ask why was Susan's allowed, but not theirs. That to me, will become kickstarter's biggest problem from now on since they have allowed Susan to continue on.

Muku

They probably tried but didn't have a young girl to exploit and/or didn't have a villain for the fabricated story. Or Kickstarter just didn't let it through the screening process.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Two more backers for this scam and more money for Susan.

I don't understand the backers at all and feel dumber each time I read their comments. I mean I get Susan's messed up disturbing game, but I don't understand these people that see this and either pledge or up their pledges more and defend her.

sigh

So I should start a kickstarter to replace my phone since I think it might be broken after reading that asshole's boing boing article.

Once funded I will purchase a new phone and post at least 10 deragatory comments about boing boing with it.

Stretch goals:

If I reach five thousand I will organize a protest in front of this wilson chicks house.

Annubis

So I should start a kickstarter to replace my phone since I think it might be broken after reading that asshole's boing boing article.

Once funded I will purchase a new phone and post at least 10 deragatory comments about boing boing with it.

Stretch goals:

If I reach five thousand I will organize a protest in front of this wilson chicks house.

I'd give a buck to that just for the lulz.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

Stretch goals:

You sold me. I'd pledge.

Parallacs

I don't understand the backers at all and feel dumber each time I read their comments. I mean I get Susan's messed up disturbing game, but I don't understand these people that see this and either pledge or up their pledges more and defend her.

sigh

Can you imagine if the rate had still been what it was during the first three days? It would be at like $140,000 and would end at $250,000. At least we can be grateful that new pledgers are being balanced out by the people bailing out.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It's funny you mention that, because when I read that all I could think of is "Surely he hasn't seen the video, right? Right??" Unless he's playing a blind eye to it, or since it's not uploaded by Susan doesn't consider it official or something, who knows.

Maybe Susan is considered a loving mom now for making one of her sons a saint? First she threw him under the bus, now she's acting like he is a saint. I could imagine maybe some females supporting this saying "YEAH FEMALE POWER" or something, but a guy supporting this saying she is a loving mother? He hasn't even read her Kickstarter page at all. (No loving mom throws her children under the bus to sell something.)
Guess it's true, there's always someone on the internet who will defend anything, no matter how evil or sick or stupid it is.

Playing Borderlands and Dragon Age obviously turns kids into dicks.
I hope Susan never learns that I played Duke Nukem 3D when I was 6. Which probably turned me into a misogynist that wants to crush a poor 9 years old girl's dream. Because that IS her dream, no matter what she says; her mother wouldn't lie, would she?

inm8num2

sigh

It really is quite depressing that Susan can pull this off so well on gullible people.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Stretch goals:

If you say that the goal is to make a writing of those comments, and promise to deliver the links to every $5 or more backer, then I see no reason why that should contradict KS' current guidelines.

LukeTim

So, I've been away for like a week... what's happened with this story? Last I saw she was asking Reddit and 4Chan for advice on how to spend the extra money or something?

I totally sent her a message on KS, too... suggesting that if her daughter was really into programming she could try out www.codeacademy.com, which is a great site for learning... but I still got no reply.

inm8num2

And depressing that if you call out a huckster mom who uses her kids for financial gain you can be called "anti-feminist".

59a7f636e05ddd9ce45f90931003dce2_large.png

At this point I hope she makes all the money in the world and completes her scam successfully. Though I doubt this will teach a lesson to the people giving her money, nor do I expect this to be the last of similar scams. However, it's clear that to get what you want in this world all you have to be is a tiny bit smarter and a lot more greedy than a few other people.

At this point I hope she makes all the money in the world and completes her scam successfully. Though I doubt this will teach a lesson to the people giving her money, nor do I expect this to be the last of similar scams. However, it's clear that to get what you want in this world all you have to be is a tiny bit smarter and a lot more greedy than a few other people.

And portray yourself as a victim.

I'm beginning to actually admire this woman. Her ability to manipulate the drooling masses is nothing short of genius. Not only that, she has the media on her side due to the latter's need to force feel-good stories through the grinder.

And best of all, Kickstarter, a program I've never supported at any point of its existence, will most likely burn because of this. They've been exposed for frauds who don't even follow their own guidelines. Better yet, they should remain in existence so further hucksters can make fools of morons desperate to feel good about themselves.

moka

So, I've been away for like a week... what's happened with this story? Last I saw she was asking Reddit and 4Chan for advice on how to spend the extra money or something?

I totally sent her a message on KS, too... suggesting that if her daughter was really into programming she could try out www.codeacademy.com, which is a great site for learning... but I still got no reply.

I wrote a fairly lengthy review of everything that's happened so far. It keeps growing bigger and bigger.

I'm beginning to actually admire this woman. Her ability to manipulate the drooling masses is nothing short of genius. Not only that, she has the media on her side due to the latter's need to force feel-good stories through the grinder.

And best of all, Kickstarter, a program I've never supported at any point of its existence, will most likely burn because of this. They've been exposed for frauds who don't even follow their own guidelines. Better yet, they should remain in existence so further hucksters can make fools of morons desperate to feel good about themselves.

This pretty much sums it up perfectly. Well said.

inm8num2

It certainly seems like most people sniffed out the bullshit long in advance. But it's one of those situations where even one person falling for this fraudulent presentation is a regrettable outcome.

LOL this kickstarter "update" video is horrible. This woman has no integrity or shame. At least the votes are more or less appropriate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWY5iPQ9fno&feature=player_embedded

Cyrano

Yes, even Arin and Jon (Game Grumps) realized that all you really have to do to be rich in this world is basically be willing to be evil. Which... hey, you know what, I've got a government to sell you!

Bedlam

So apparently negative comments aren't allowed anymore. KS suspended my account despite me not being rude at all (well, okay... in my last comment I called Susan a liar, but no foul language or anything). I'm done with this thing and with KS in general. I cancelled the pledge, then deleted my account.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Man, watching more people supporting this and even defending it is becoming somehow an analog of people trying to tell you why Pyramid schemes are not an scam, or worse, watching someone spending all his money after being told by a "phone carrier representative" that he won a millionaire prize, and the only way to redeem it is buying pre-paid phonecards of a phone company and giving the codes to the other side of the line.

It's a rare mixture of pity and sadness.

Parallacs

Man, watching more people supporting this and even defending it is becoming somehow an analog of people trying to tell you why Pyramid schemes are not an scam, or worse, watching someone spending all his money after being told by a "phone carrier representative" that he won a millionaire prize, and the only way to redeem it is buying pre-paid phonecards of a phone company and giving the codes to the other side of the line.

It's a rare mixture of pity and sadness.

My uncle spent $4,000 on a Nigerian prince scam back in the late 90s. And he is a fairly smart guy.

Even I fell for a bank account email scam back in college. I had to close my account and promised myself to never be that dumb again.

Gold Member
Just caught up on this thread after a few days away and the KS comments, and wow!

I think it's all been covered many times over, but dam that women is shrewd and obviously a scammer through and through.

I am hoping that Joseph is currently seeking psychiatric "help" and not planning revenge on Waqar. I've not seen a blow out like that in a while lol.

Some people are so dumb it actually pains me to read their comments. Here have some money your a good mum, I am going to ignore all the reasoning that has gone before because I can spend my money on what I like. FFS!! Mirage gsm, I lost faith in humanity because of you.

Nice write up btw moka, I enjoyed that, thanks.

I hope this ends soon I have scratched a small hole into my sofa reading this shit this evening. Got to say though I doubt KS will do anything, not because of the money (it's only a couple of grand) more like the negative publicity they would get for "shattering" a kids dreams. And that makes me sadder ;(

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
I hope this ends soon I have scratched a small hole into my sofa reading this shit this evening. Got to say though I doubt KS will do anything, not because of the money (it's only a couple of grand) more like the negative publicity they would get for "shattering" a kids dreams. And that makes me sadder ;(

For those of you asking... That's pretty much the TL;DR version right there, yo'. :(

(Tag this guy up somehow... or Memberize 'im. I dunno.)

Muku

And a lovely quote from a recent posting of one of Susan's supporters...

And you can probably find wrongs in anything IF you really try hard enough - what to one person is an innocent family photo becomes an endictment in the eyes of another.

And what made folks GO to such lengths to even bother digging anything up? She poked the sleeping bear by doing things, like throwing her sons under the bus, that caused the internet police to investigate into her. The whole thing just sounded fishy. If she hadn't given anyone reason to look anything up, no one would have.

So apparently negative comments aren't allowed anymore. KS suspended my account despite me not being rude at all (well, okay... in my last comment I called Susan a liar, but no foul language or anything). I'm done with this thing and with KS in general. I cancelled the pledge, then deleted my account.

Woah wait, what?! "Liar" is far from the worst thing I've seen on there. Maybe we haven't seen JCS because he too got suspended for F-bomb?

I am hoping that Joseph is currently seeking psychiatric "help" and not planning revenge on Waqar. I've not seen a blow out like that in a while lol.

I seriously hope he's left the internet to get help. Or calm down or something. Man was completely bonkers.

*le sigh* Saaaame. When I first took notice of the KS, I did think to myself immediately "man, what a brilliant scam. i should think of something like this too." But then realized that I'm not that sh*tty of a human.

It certainly seems like most people sniffed out the bullshit long in advance. But it's one of those situations where even one person falling for this fraudulent presentation is a regrettable outcome.

LOL this kickstarter "update" video is horrible. This woman has no integrity or shame. At least the votes are more or less appropriate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWY5iPQ9fno&feature=player_embedded
Man, I called scam the second I skimmed through the project and watched the video before even knowing it was pissing off the internets. The biggest giveaway for me was the 1994 video that failed to show any traces of the kid. Not to mention the price tiers.... For legit projects, even if you're inexperienced, I figure you would have something to show potential backers. Like with most decent KS projects. It's not hard at all.

Whatever, haven't commented nor bothered asking anymore questions. Life is better not caring about this.

I won't lie though, part of me would be curious to have a full view of her side :x

Matrix

Why are the supporters going up, the money?

I don't understand, I just don't.

Muku

Why are the supporters going up, the money?

I don't understand, I just don't.

WHY YOU BE HATING!!!! IT'S ABOUT KENZIE!

EDIT: Though that recent guy posting is just wow. Real work of art. :(

She's just a blue collar girl who's KEEPIN' UP! LOL.

LOL, oh man. Gotta keep that cash flowing in somehow though. She currently says she's unemployed, ya? Gotta keep trucking that money in. She needs some of it to throw in the air again, it's probably been a while since she's done that. You know, this might sound strange, but after recent announcement of DuckTales, I just think of her jumping into a pile of money and swimming in it after seeing her picture throwing bills in the air.

Matrix

WHY YOU BE HATING!!!! IT'S ABOUT KENZIE!

EDIT: Though that recent guy posting is just wow. Real work of art. :(

He's a complete tool. The new Joseph. Well on his way to the snap zone it seems. I mean he even says he's angry cause no one is talking about the game/project.

What game /project Michael Johnsen!? guy is ignorant as all hell. 16 days left and all this woman has shown people is her daughter looking at cartoons on google and the ability to change her mind on what the project was supposed to be about since the boys are "helping" now.

This is suck a crock of bs and it's getting closer and closer till this woman walks with a shit ton of money for nothing. I'm thinking some massive tweeting to important people/websites/etc needs to be done soon, I can't think of anything else that can possibly stop this scam since Susan knows how close she is. Notice both Julie and Joseph are gone, she's too close to let them screw it up. She's most likely asked them to zip it.

"She's just a blue collar girl who's KEEPIN' UP! LOL. "

hahaha

inm8num2

Michael Johnsen 2 minutes ago

@vernano Unless you had proven that the project owner is a con-artist - and its not been proven only speculated on then yes this IS character assasination - from wild unsubstatiated claims to suspect articles are being repeated in an endless loop in order to create suspicion of the owners character - even to the point where people search the web for any and all public posts on other sites to use that against , without context.

And you can probably find wrongs in anything IF you really try hard enough - what to one person is an innocent family photo becomes an endictment in the eyes of another.

We are no longer discussing the project, its validity or whether it will be completed - we are only discussion Susan at this point - AND I DONT GIVE A TOSS WHAT HER GENDER POLITICS ARE PERIOD - I'm a gamer and as such im now getting very annoyed by people invading a gameforum to debate genderpolitics - IF YOU DONT LIKE HER POLITICS DONT BACK HER. This is not the place to go to expunge your ire at faminists - This is Kickstarter not a bloody politicsforum - plenty of those elsewhere.

Dont mind CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM however most of the criticism here isnt constructive it goes from susan being a bad mother to kickstarter close this project.

Constructive criticism would offer ways to make the project less "objectional" to the protesters or such not all out blatant attempts to end project.

"But what if I dont believe she is for real" - easy by nickstarter rules stop backing project.

"but but i need to protect other backers" not at this point you dont besides any sane kickstarter user knows there is always a chance you dont get a completed product - its a leap of faith, dont like that? wait for games to be released on steam and such.

"I'm here to protect kickstarter " - No! no youre not - if they needed protection here they would have cancelled project.

Enough please keep this about the project and keep it constructive

There's nothing constructive about exploiting people's soft spots for gaming and kids with a sham project like this.

It's amazing how this boils down to simple logic. Strip away the emotion and you just have basic facts, history, and evidence far in overwhelming favor against Ms. Wilson.

inm8num2

The thing is, I want this to succeed just to see the results and aftermath. The impatient demands for updates from the backers. The fraudulent exposure over time (as if it isn't already apparent enough).

I want people who have no problem with this to give as much money to Wilson as possible.

Let the consequences play out for my entertainment.

Muku

There's nothing constructive about exploiting people's soft spots for gaming and kids with a sham project like this.

It's amazing how this boils down to simple logic. Strip away the emotion and you just have basic facts, history, and evidence far in overwhelming favor against Ms. Wilson.

So guys.. when this ends in 16 days, how about we start a group Kickstarter. We need a villain, so we'll need to come up with a good story. But I think we should earn enough to all go on a cruise. I mean, if she can find folks, can't we for vacation? We should figure out a place to go.. and need a good back story. Maybe if we really rake it in we can go to some exotic port to catch our cruise from. MAYBE EVEN GET LAPTOPS IF WE GET ENOUGH MONEY!

*sigh* Man. It's not so much depressing anymore for me, to read this. It's just, how can a person be so without any feelings as to pull this kind of shit. It boggles my mind. I know this kind of stuff goes on every day, but this kind of took it to a new level by degrading her own children in it in front of the whole world (wide web).

inm8num2

The amusing thing about all this is that it's so obvious Susan knew this would be how it would go down.

- Ask for $829.
- Get a lot of questions.
- Use it to her advantage.
- Add mysterious $10k pledge tier
- Watch gullible, uninformed people flock to project to support it against the "haters"
- etc.

She never intended to just send her kid to some dumbass camp. It was always about manipulating people's emotions, creating controversy, playing people against one another, and benefiting from the attention.

Fucking sociopath.

Zenaku

He's a complete tool. The new Joseph. Well on his way to the snap zone it seems. I mean he even says he's angry cause no one is talking about the game/project.

What game /project Michael Johnsen!? guy is ignorant as all hell. 16 days left and all this woman has shown people is her daughter looking at cartoons on google and the ability to change her mind on what the project was supposed to be about since the boys are "helping" now.

This is suck a crock of bs and it's getting closer and closer till this woman walks with a shit ton of money for nothing. I'm thinking some massive tweeting to important people/websites/etc needs to be done soon, I can't think of anything else that can possibly stop this scam since Susan knows how close she is. Notice both Julie and Joseph are gone, she's too close to let them screw it up. She's most likely asked them to zip it.

"She's just a blue collar girl who's KEEPIN' UP! LOL. "

hahaha
Hmm... Maybe that would be a good idea?

Susan's avoided talking about the game/project thanks to all the backlash, which has given her the opportunity to completely ignore it. Her biggest slipup seems to be getting her daughter(?) on video, so maybe getting her to talk more about the project would be the best way to clue backers in to her true goals.

Can't talk about what doesn't exist after all.

Muku

I think because we're talking about a child's project here, everyone seems to think it's okay not to even show a little of ANYTHING. If Kenzie is so into wanting to make an RPG, wouldn't she have, even before this, had a journal with ideas, thoughts, characters, etc? I know when I wrote stories as a kid, I'd write down things. So what she is saying is Kenzie doesn't even have ANYTHING AT ALL? I think most folks would at least feel better if at start, it looked like Kenzie put some thought into this with maybe a journal of things for her game.

At this point though, Susan is lying low and has been doing so pretty well lately. She figured at some point when she could milk the cow until it was dry, she'd take a hands off approach and let things slide. I mean hell, it's already free money, so why argue with that? Maybe she's not going to get as much as the dollar signs in her eyes showed when it first took off, but she shouldn't have caused anyone any doubt as to go investigating. She'd have made off like a bandit then.

inm8num2

It's horrifying how far this "oh, but we must think of the children!" alarmist thinking goes in our culture. The poor girl doesn't seem remotely interested in any of this. And yet we cannot shatter her dreams. No matter how dismissive she seems towards them.

Society would be doing the kid a favor by tanking the project and showing her that being greedy and dishonest like mommy is not a good way to live life.

Parallacs

Society would be doing the kid a favor by tanking the project and showing her that being greedy and dishonest like mommy is not a good way to live life.

I think having the project end at $23,000 will also teach her a life lesson after her mom ignores her Naruto game and pays the contractor to finish the house extension.

Top Bottom