• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

Muku

I think having the project end at $23,000 will also teach her a life lesson after her mom ignores her Naruto game and pays the contractor to finish the house extension.

She building a shoe closet?

Though, what is interesting is that her supporters completely disappeared when she said to take the 24 hr break and have been mostly gone. Coincidence? This new guy has reared his head today I've noticed, but until then it's been pretty quiet. Still hoping JCS also got that help he needed, and I hope we don't have another melt down.

Parallacs

I just hope Julie comes back to link the same old articles again. I wonder if her bff Susan will share any of the hundred dollar bills with her.

Odd that sites like kotaku don't keep up with this. They love to make articles out of comments and twitter conversations. Where is scheier?

But what ever. I might pitch in a dollar just because this whole journey is so entertaining to follow.

Or I might get a coke cuz I'm thirsty.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Odd that sites like kotaku don't keep up with this. They love to make articles out of comments and twitter conversations. Where is scheier?

But what ever. I might pitch in a dollar just because this whole journey is so entertaining to follow.

Drink water. :p

But no, they got their stories out, vilifying anyone who DARE question the validity of this kickstarter.

Muku

Keep the buck and go for a Snickers bar or something. Or save that dollar for when this hits theaters to pay for that ticket. ;)

inm8num2

This project needs as much bad press as possible. Unfortunately anyone who calls out the sham will be accused of crushing a girl's dreams, being a misogynist, being a hater, and being anti-"Keep Up!".

Susan wins. Greed wins. Dishonesty wins.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
To be fair, it's not going to be 100% clear that it's a scam until afterwards. If the only outcome after the $20k+ payoff is that the girl goes to a camp that she was being sent to anyway then I hope the media reports the KS as a likely scam. But it's going to be really difficult to follow the money after they cut Susan the check.

inm8num2

To be fair, it's not going to be 100% clear that it's a scam until afterwards. If the only outcome after the $20k+ payoff is that the girl goes to a camp that she was being sent to anyway then I hope the media reports the KS as a likely scam. But it's going to be really difficult to follow the money after they cut Susan the check.

The people pledging will hopefully become restless and inquisitive when, many months later, Susan hasn't updated them on anything, hasn't shown how the money has been spent, and has avoided their questions.

Of course at that point she could just tell them she needs more funds to achieve her "Keep Up!" vision and they'll gladly pledge... :/

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I think a game will be made, RPG Maker isn't very hard to use and you could develop a pretty meh game in like, a week. However, it takes time to make a good game, like in anything, and I bet they'll just release some crappy no-effort game and pass it off as being crap as it was made by 'a nine-year old.'

As I was just ranting elsewhere:

I fucking hate Susan Wilson, which is rare for me to hate someone. I really shouldn't keep up to date on the Kickstarter story as all it does is piss me off, but she's one of the rare breeds who pisses me off on almost every level. She's a liar, exploiting children and the feminist movement for personal gain, plays with peoples heart strings to get what she wants, and flaunts all of it while at the same time being extremely sexist and giving a bad name to her children. Not to mention RPG Maker Camp is a fucking scam in the first place.

Julie 1 minute ago
Where did The AIBots arrival go, huh? Was it proved to be false and removed? http:://theaibots.libsyn.com/webpage…, it was? Many other false blogs are being removed too!!

Sera O

Banned
Why are the supporters going up, the money?

I don't understand, I just don't.

Kid defenders. People falling for her plucky blue-collar mom schtick. People taking up for the cause of women in tech fields without looking very closely. White knights who want to spite internet whackjobs by seeing her succeed. This lady has quite a diverse portfolio of dupes now, and they're committed to reinforcing their choice to back.

I want people who have no problem with this to give as much money to Wilson as possible.

Let the consequences play out for my entertainment.

I'm kind of there myself. This has been fascinating and demoralizing in equal parts. She'll just have interns make a game for cheap/free with zero involvement from her kid outside of awkward videos. It's the avenue of least risk.

The alternate thing she might do is "Kenzie's now so stressed out she's sick, and she's only 9 you guys! As a mom I'm drawing the line out of concern for her health - unless you want to support this other project (on my own site) to have some pro game devs finish Kenzie's dream project on her behalf since she really, really wants it to be made."

So guys.. when this ends in 16 days, how about we start a group Kickstarter. We need a villain, so we'll need to come up with a good story.

Take JCS on a cruise - guy needs to decompress. Poor downtrodden man spends so much time looking out for the musculoskeletal health of others and composing barely intelligible defenses for kickstarters, it's time to give back. Stretch goals will pay for adobe products so he can roll around in them and be healed by their glory.

I am curious to see what types of games are made at an "RPG Maker Camp" I mean it is strange enough that there is a camp for this in the first place.

Anyone have any examples of games made from one of these camps?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I am curious to see what types of games are made at an "RPG Maker Camp" I mean it is strange enough that there is a camp for this in the first place.

Anyone have any examples of games made from one of these camps?

Not sure about camps, though what makes this whole thing hilarious is that RPG Maker Camp is a known scam in the first place. You could literally learn a lot more for free on the internet, as there are plenty of more in-depth and great tutorials on how to use RPG Maker online, completely free.

As in any tool, it depends how you use it. RPG Maker is low-level, but can and has been utilized to created some pretty swell games. But those were made by individuals who put in thought, effort, and time into their games, and I very much doubt they went to RPG Maker Camp.

mattchuuu

Neo Member

I disagree. The scam is already apparent.

1. To quote the kickstarter: "My goal is to raise $829 to cover the cost of RPG Camp." This is clearly not allowed. It is also clearly something Susan can afford.

2. The entire project is deceitfully pitched in the first-person of a 9-year-old girl wanting to go to camp, when it is actually her mother acting like her daughter - or not even her daughter but rather a fabricated girl that tugs on a reader's emotional strings however Susan can possibly fathom. Read the first update and the third - just like her main page, the fabricated girl always makes sure to mention her youthful innocence, excitement and her ignorant, villainous brothers. Compare this with the video Susan posted only briefly, and it becomes even more pathetic.

3. After having made 20 times over what her goal was, Susan added a 10,000 reward tier. It was never even about trying to pay for school. It was always about making money and marketing.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Gonna vomit smh, she's scammed them all and now she's playing the back off Julie role lol ...

This woman is good.

http://gamelab.mit.edu/about/game-development/

"
Creator Susan Wilson less than a minute ago

OK Julie, yes it appears KS intervened with the comments but that means you should refrain from negative comments too, please? I know your heart's in the right place & it was frustrating b/c you knew the truth. But in the end, all things come together for good...if you believe ;)

I can't believe we're actually getting help from & partnering with M.I.T. Game Lab. AMAZING! Huge thanks to Rik Eberhardt, Philip Tan, and Sara Verrilli at gamelab.mit.edu!"

Julie 15 minutes ago

Where did The AIBots arrival go, huh? Was it proved to be false and removed? http:://theaibots.libsyn.com/webpage…, it was? Many other false blogs are being removed too!!"

Parallacs

Sigh, I guess all of the $1 backers have been banned by now.

The comments were a lot more fun last week.

EDIT: It will be funny when a Naruto RPG shows up on the MIT gamelab site.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
All I know is that I'm completely done with Kickstarter and following this bs. This lady worked her dark magic and no one can stop it.

Un-fucking-real.

Goon Boon

Banned
All I know is that I'm completely done with Kickstarter and following this bs. This lady worked her dark magic and no one can stop it.

Un-fucking-real.

Luckily a lot big kickstarters accept paypal as well, no more kickstarters for me once the bunch I've kicked are finished.

inm8num2

Un-fucking-real.

I've loved supporting developers on kickstarter, but the KS support of Susan disappoints me.

I can't say I'll stop using KS as I imagine there will be projects I want to support.

I seriously think we should all think about an organized message to KS, either in the form of a mock project (they let the death star project exist without canceling it after all) or some kind of major petition.

macewank

probably a waste of time, but i reported it.

she's asking for money to send her daughter to camp. that's pretty clearly against TOS

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
This project needs as much bad press as possible. Unfortunately anyone who calls out the sham will be accused of crushing a girl's dreams, being a misogynist, being a hater, and being anti-"Keep Up!".

Susan wins. Greed wins. Dishonesty wins.
Stupidity wins. And fools lose their money. It's the way of the world.

I hate this world sometimes.

1. To quote the kickstarter: "My goal is to raise $829 to cover the cost of RPG Camp." This is clearly not allowed. It is also clearly something Susan can afford.

2. The entire project is deceitfully pitched in the first-person of a 9-year-old girl wanting to go to camp, when it is actually her mother acting like her daughter - or not even her daughter but rather a fabricated girl that tugs on a reader's emotional strings however Susan can possibly fathom. Read the first update and the third - just like her main page, the fabricated girl always makes sure to mention her youthful innocence, excitement and her ignorant, villainous brothers. Compare this with the video Susan posted only briefly, and it becomes even more pathetic.

3. After having made 20 times over what her goal was, Susan added a 10,000 reward tier. It was never even about trying to pay for school. It was always about making money and marketing.
And then she even admitted she already has the money to send Kenzie to the camp, and now doesn't know what to do with the cash she'll be getting.

So people are giving their money away for... nothing, to put it simply. Plainly nothing.

she's asking for money to send her daughter to camp. that's pretty clearly against TOS

No, she's already paid for that - which is another clear TOS infringement.

As far as I'm aware, she doesn't even know what it's funding right now.

FStop7

Banned

Between this and the Penny Arcade thing it's been made pretty clear that Kickstarter will ignore its own TOS if there's good money or PR involved.

After reading this whole thing I'm probably not going to fund any more Kickstarter projects. I'm not saying 100% I'm done, but I'll probably scale back to very small donations for very specific and credible projects from names I know outside of Kickstarter.

moka

That was helpful, thanks.

So, she is completely mad about women's "success"... and she tried to sell $4 iPhone cases for 10x the cost...

It seems to me like they discovered crowdfunding and just went crazy thinking of the possibilities of getting rich quick from the that model.

RPGCrazied

I'm still baffled this is still going on, how on earth is she going to get 23k for an RPG in RPG maker? Doesn't anyone have a brain funding this project?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

There's still the faintest glimmer of a possibility that she will be shamed into putting the money towards actual game development. If that doesn't happen then the media should be crying "scam" from the highest rooftop. Not only a scam, but an official KS backed scam. If they don't, then the reason is either ignorance or cowardice.

Vamphuntr

I'm still baffled this is still going on, how on earth is she going to get 23k for an RPG in RPG maker? Doesn't anyone have a brain funding this project?

This is not the first time someone gets 20k for a RPG maker game. In the kickstarter thread there was one where a guy got that much for a RPG maker game using public tilesets! 4chan had a megapic blasting the project.

Matrix

Susan Wilson 9 minutes ago
"ABSOLUTELY, look for a video update this evening. I've learned my updates do more harm than good so Zach, her older brother has politely nudged me out of the process and taken over (which is great - though I think he thinks I don't realize what he's doing which makes me smile even more) because Kenzie's over the moon that her brother actually wants to play with her and hang out talking about the game. They're working on a video update for this evening that WILL include details about the game. Thanks Vernano!"

lol no words.

"9 Year Old Building an RPG to Prove Her Brothers Wrong!"

why hasn't she changed this? lol She's changed everything else

ido

Someone needs to set up literally the exact same Kickstarter with different people/kids. Nothing different at all, except perhaps something like, "I have been inspired by Susan's Kickstarter, and my sons are the exact same way to my daughter... So [insert exact Kickstarter project]"

I wonder if it would get approved.

Instro

I've loved supporting developers on kickstarter, but the KS support of Susan disappoints me.

I can't say I'll stop using KS as I imagine there will be projects I want to support.

I seriously think we should all think about an organized message to KS, either in the form of a mock project (they let the death star project exist without canceling it after all) or some kind of major petition.
A kickstarter to raise enough money to hire lawyers to sue kickstarter and this lady.

inm8num2

Susan Wilson 9 minutes ago
"ABSOLUTELY, look for a video update this evening. I've learned my updates do more harm than good so Zach, her older brother has politely nudged me out of the process and taken over (which is great - though I think he thinks I don't realize what he's doing which makes me smile even more) because Kenzie's over the moon that her brother actually wants to play with her and hang out talking about the game. They're working on a video update for this evening that WILL include details about the game. Thanks Vernano!"

lol no words.

"9 Year Old Building an RPG to Prove Her Brothers Wrong!"

why hasn't she changed this? lol She's changed everything else

Like I've been saying...a true sociopath. But at this point the only people in whom I am disappointed are those supporting her.

The amount of passive aggressive backwards nonsense in that quote is aggravating.

moka

Someone needs to set up literally the exact same Kickstarter with different people/kids. Nothing different at all, except perhaps something like, "I have been inspired by Susan's Kickstarter, and my sons are the exact same way to my daughter... So [insert exact Kickstarter project]"

I wonder if it would get approved.

No, this time it should be the other way around e.g. sister took piss out of brother saying that he can't cook a cake for shit so now he wants money to go to cooking school to teach her and he will make the ultimate cake recipe for his backers.

That'd be interesting.

inm8num2

No, this time it should be the other way around e.g. sister took piss out of brother saying that he can't cook a cake for shit so now he wants money to go to cooking school to teach her and he will make the ultimate cake recipe for his backers.

That'd be interesting.

And the cake...wait for it...would be a LIE!!!!

*drops the mic after the best use of that phrase ever on the internet*

Dunan

Folks, please don't give up on Kickstarter entirely. There are plenty of good ones. One such: legendary game translator Alexander O. Smith is doing one for a Japanese novel set after the 3/11/11 earthquake, with all the proceeds to be donated to quake victims... and he's having trouble pulling in enough money, while this Susan sociopath gets 30 times what she "needs".

moka

Folks, please don't give up on Kickstarter entirely. There are plenty of good ones. One such: legendary game translator Alexander O. Smith is doing one for a Japanese novel set after the 3/11/11 earthquake, with all the proceeds to be donated to quake victims... and he's having trouble pulling in enough money, while this Susan sociopath gets 30 times what she "needs".

There are plenty of good KS projects out there but I feel like as a matter of principle, we should abandon KS and find alternative ways to back these projects e.g. through other platforms or by coming to an independent arrangement with the creator(s).

This is Kickstarter's fault and we can't just let this slide.

Matrix

Susan Wilson just now
"Zach knows how to get Kenzie to open up and talk about gaming. I'm clueless and she's 9 and hates the sound of her voice which can apparently come off as her being dull and uninterested which is the opposite of how she really is when the camera isn't on. Zach is a really great big brother when he wants to be and now he sees how important it is so he's into being the producer, director and film maker. I wrote everything down for them so it shouldn't be total chaos but I'm hopeful it has a more engaging tone and is actually a fun process for them both.. I'll still answer messages and stuff and if necessary add to the update but I think this might be a great idea. Fingers Crossed!"

bwahahaha and I noticed she's losing money and some backers today.

Anytime she posts she pulls be back into watching this train wreck.

I can't believe the brother wants to do this... he is going to be ripped apart online and he's old enough to know this. I'm sure they promised him a couple thousand.

moka

Susan Wilson just now
"Zach knows how to get Kenzie to open up and talk about gaming. I'm clueless and she's 9 and hates the sound of her voice which can apparently come off as her being dull and uninterested which is the opposite of how she really is when the camera isn't on. Zach is a really great big brother when he wants to be and now he sees how important it is so he's into being the producer, director and film maker. I wrote everything down for them so it shouldn't be total chaos but I'm hopeful it has a more engaging tone and is actually a fun process for them both.. I'll still answer messages and stuff and if necessary add to the update but I think this might be a great idea. Fingers Crossed!"

bwahahaha and I noticed she's losing money and some backers today.

Anytime she posts she pulls be back into watching this train wreck.

I can't believe the brother wants to do this... he is going to be ripped apart online and he's old enough to know this. I'm sure they promised him a couple thousand.

Zach is interested in being a producer, director and film maker? Maybe she should create a KS to send him to AV school or something.

Cth

Does anyone think it'd be a good idea to keep posting links/descriptions in the comments of more deserving (read: legit) KS's that could use the money? She can't badmouth those/get those removed can she?

Does anyone think it'd be a good idea to keep posting links/descriptions in the comments of more deserving (read: legit) KS's that could use the money? She can't badmouth those/get those removed can she?

She probably can since they would be out of scope. But what the fuck do I know? Kickstarter has only guidelines and not actual enforceable rules..

inm8num2

Is Zack the one that wears t-shirts that say he's a lesbian because, in Susan's words:

Actually the thought never occurred to me b/c he's that great of a human being and I'm so used to it. He has no patience for people hating on other people just because they look different, they're alone, their sexuality, race, religion, drugs, etc.

mj-laughing.gif

I always hate on people because "they're alone". ALWAYS.

She is so full of shit, LOL.

Vamphuntr

Link?

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood

That'd be interesting.

Not necessary. He just has to ask his dad how to cook.

inm8num2

Reading Susan's comments is truly a test of patience for illogical, narcissistic, self-aggrandizing behavior.

But in the end, all things come together for good...if you believe ;)

I know your heart's in the right place & it was frustrating b/c you knew the truth.

Sandwiches, Jacob, Corey and Dan - don't you have something productive you could be doing b/c the reality is this project is continuing and what's amazing is that it's getting bigger & better than Kenzie and I ever imagined.

If you'd like to continue your rant against me, create your own "I hate Susan" Facebook page and rant away.

iL4fXsQfXbFRo.gif

Top Bottom