• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
RC posted what I was thinking earlier about the brothers now.

A big WTF with that.

"
RC 13 minutes ago

@Susan Wilson says: "Kenzie and her brothers are working on an intro video for the game."
---- What the hell happened? Isn't this, '9 Year Old Building an RPG to Prove Her Brothers Wrong!' If that is the case why the hell is Kenzie's brothers helping her?
--- The whole BASIS/CORE of this KickStarter is for Kenzie (girl) to make a game herself RPG, thus backers are paying for her tuituion to a camp. Where she will learn.
--- I mean the whole Frontpage of this project is so gender biased, now this girl who was teased by the brothers... is being helped by them. How can she prove her brothers wrong, if her brothers are helping her?
--- What happened to all the ---- I {blank} LIKE A GIRL ---- campaign you were smearing all over the place? Have you failed your mission? Is the new shirt labeled I {NEED BOY'S HELP} LIKE A GIRL.
--- This project is angering me and evolving into something that is different from what it was meant to be!"

This was one of her most level headed supporters at first, who has his own daughters.

Muku

Actually, got a bit of a question now. Since Susan called out a backer, who removed the 10k pledge, does that violate any kind of KS rules?
*cough* I mean GUIDELINES.
Seems even Riggo wasn't happy with the other person being called out. And yeah, it was on April Fools, which I think Susan either forgot about (I mean, who on the internet who knows this is a scam wouldn't have a little fun with it on April 1st of all days?)or she's peeved she didn't get it. Apparently she doesn't like jokes on her but she sure doesn't mind pulling one over on the internet.
Because this whole KS is one big early April Fools joke.

Folks are always going to pull back contributions on KS for whatever reason, and they have that right to do so before the timer is up. Fact she called them out is totally disrespectful, but I'm wondering if it breaks rules at this point.

EDIT: Agreed. RC has done a 180 on this, but with good reason. Glad RC has been bringing out some of these points I've been thinking too. She's just giving a bad name to females now. Sigh.

lol wow

The cell phone case thing where you sell something that goes for 4 dollars on one site for 10x that is going on all over the place =/

inm8num2

She's just giving a bad name to females now. Sigh.

I haven't followed too closely, but I hope nobody gets the impression that Susan represents females in any way.

She's just a greedy, nasty, deceitful person. Her gender is irrelevant.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Muku,

People pull/cancel their pledges all the time (she didn't call out one $1 backer lol) and Ive never seen the creator list the names before of people who do. I have no clue what the rule is about that, but actually calling those two out by name... I mean what the fuck. It's only cause in her crazy mind she thought she was going to get another 20k lol for nothing ._.

Someone needs to find out if that's allowed like you said.

Muku

Muku,

People pull/cancel their pledges all the time (she didn't call out one $1 backer lol) and Ive never seen the creator list the names before of people who do. I have no clue what the rule is about that, but actually calling those two out by name... I mean what the fuck. It's only cause in her crazy mind she thought she was going to get another 20k lol for nothing ._.

Someone needs to find out if that's allowed like you said.

Yeah, that's why I said they can and have the right to do so before time is up. That's why I don't get her deal on the 10k ones. I don't think anyone on any KS deserves to be called out. We'd never have guessed who other one was unless they'd specifically stated so, and I see nothing wrong wtih that.

She'd have liked that. Free 10k for nothing. Pssh, please. She better stop making Kickstarters that go through April 1st if she doesn't want that kind of (hilarious) trolling again.

I think only reason she's not called out the $1 backers that have since removed is because she'd be spending all day copy/pasting it in to "call them out".

IrishNinja

wow, so CNET doubled down on their ignorance...at least the other poor sites had the sense to leave it be, that's sad

I hope the Kickstarter guys think it was worth all this controversy over the 2 thousand they will get for this.

i think it's plainly obvious they do, yeah. we'll see how that pans out for them i guess

Muku

So, has she sold the movie rights of the fiasco to Hollywood yet?

She's probably waiting until the days are up. That way if it explodes again she can ask for even more money. :p I mean that last explosion was like wow. Haven't seen JCS since before Susan told her supporters to take a 24hr break. It's good they listen like the puppets they are.

Also, holy hell. Is there ANY way to contact Kickstarter via email, or is this one of those "OMG make an account and get help" kinda deals. Because I don't want a KS account, but I want to ask them about this calling users out business.

EDIT: Corey says Lifetime movie. I could totally see that with the whole feminist thing behind it. But I think Susan might go straight up Hollywood, because.. well, you know.. she loves to toss dat money in the air like she just don't care... :)

Matrix

Every time I see a new backer give more than $1 I want to slam my head against my computer desk.

Muku

Clarification: the kickstarter is for her plane ticket to go to Hollywood. She wants to prove the haters wrong.

"ALL THE TROLLS AND HATERS SAID I COULDNT DO IT! BUT I DID IT! I HAD MY KS FINISH AND NOW I WANT TO PROVE THEM WRONG! Help me fly to Hollywood so that I can shop around for a studio to buy the rights to this AMAZING STORY!! (I seriously can't wait to share it with you all!! I know you might have lived it through the comments, but you didn't get to see the full story on my side!)

I have to be there a few weeks minimum. I'm going to need a nice hotel to stay in, because I can't shop around after having stayed in some raggity hotel. So it needs to be high end. I'm also going to need money for getting around town. (I'm only going limo, not stretch limo, to save you guys money!!) I might also need to take in some of the sights. So I'm going to need a new camera too. Also I guess I should bring Kenzie while I shop this around too, huh? Okay so two plane tickets.

GURL POWAH!! HELP US TEACH THOSE DIRTY MALES WE ARE SUPERIOR! WE WILL SHOW THOSE NAYSAYERS!"

"ALL THE TROLLS AND HATERS SAID I COULDNT DO IT! BUT I DID IT! I HAD MY KS FINISH AND NOW I WANT TO PROVE THEM WRONG! Help me fly to Hollywood so that I can shop around for a studio to buy the rights to this AMAZING STORY!! (I seriously can't wait to share it with you all!! I know you might have lived it through the comments, but you didn't get to see the full story on my side!)

I have to be there a few weeks minimum. I'm going to need a nice hotel to stay in, because I can't shop around after having stayed in some raggity hotel. So it needs to be high end. I'm also going to need money for getting around town. (I'm only going limo, not stretch limo, to save you guys money!!) I might also need to take in some of the sights. So I'm going to need a new camera too. Also I guess I should bring Kenzie while I shop this around too, huh? Okay so two plane tickets.

GURL POWAH!! HELP US TEACH THOSE DIRTY MALES WE ARE SUPERIOR! WE WILL SHOW THOSE NAYSAYERS!"
And to all the misogynists that don't want to see this happen, SHAME ON YOU.

inm8num2

And to all the misogynists that don't want to see this happen, SHAME ON YOU.

LOL perfect! The sad thing is this is exactly what a sociopath like Susan would say, and some people would fall for it.

Someone needs to post these at her KS page. I refuse to even do a temporary $1 pledge since your backer history even keeps projects from which you withdraw. I don't want this piece of trash staining my beautiful list of pledged games.

Muku

LOL perfect! The sad thing is this is exactly what a sociopath like Susan would say, and some people would fall for it.

Actually, if that KS was up and I KNEW 100% it'd go to her finding someone to buy the rights, I might sign up and donate a dollar. The movie would be freaking amazing. Well, depending on how truthful it was. I mean, I'd like to see who plays Julie and how often that banana phone rings.

All you haters are so violent, this obviously means you're in the wrong.

LOL oh man this made me laugh louder than it probably should have.

Actually, if that KS was up and I KNEW 100% it'd go to her finding someone to buy the rights, I might sign up and donate a dollar. The movie would be freaking amazing. Well, depending on how truthful it was. I mean, I'd like to see who plays Julie and how often that banana phone rings.
That's the thing though, the Kickstarter should be to actually make the movie, but she would do one for a vacation trip to LA to visit the studios in hopes of selling off the rights. That's the whole problem with the way she uses Kickstarter, IndieGoGo etc.

Then people complain about the way she uses crowdfunding and she thinks she's being treated differently because she's a woman. They never complained about all these other movies on Kickstarter, so it's obviously the reason, right? And they never complained about the Double Fine game and look at all the money it made.

TheD

The Detective
With kickstarter taking part in a scam I think the mods should think about banning promotion of kickstarter projects from this site.

Muku

Hi Corey! :D LOL.

I hope we get money if we give her ideas. You know, when dat cash comes flowing in, I think NeoGAF deserves some of that.

Then people complain about the way she uses crowdfunding and she thinks she's being treated differently because she's a woman. They never complained about all these other movies on Kickstarter, so it's obviously the reason, right? And they never complained about the Double Fine game and look at all the money it made.

BUT I AM A SUCCESSFUL WOMAN! NO ONE SHOULD CHALLENGE ME! Little does she know success on the backs of others is a pretty shady thing. I can't even believe she is bringing the whole "oh my god you guys are so cruel to us womens!" Come on, get off your horse Susan. I'm female and know this whole this is a pile of garbage. Though I guess if you're used to living off others being nice, it's easy to sucker some folks in. Problem is, I'm sure most backers aren't paying attention go the comments or even really know anything huge is going on with this. And who knows how many will even check in after it's finished.

I had problems with Penny Arcade's cash grab. That one really irked me, and I think kind of set the tone for really disliking it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
How much does KS even stand to make from this one, a couple thousand?

inm8num2

Ugh just thinking of Susan's reasoning before making this project.

"I heard people like video games on kickstarter. My previous scams didn't work, but if I exploit the common folk's soft spots for video games AND children, I surely can't fail!"

A true sociopath in my book LOL. But the only people with whom I'm disappointed are those pledging money to this nonsense.

Do the right thing and shut it down, Kickstarter.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I think I'm more worried about the people going apeshit over this than I am about a violation of kickstarter's guidelines.

Muku

How much does KS even stand to make from this one, a couple thousand?

If that. Isn't it like 5%? Could be wrong.

I think I'm more worried about the people going apeshit over this than I am about a violation of kickstarter's guidelines.

Who is going ape shit over it? Outside of Joseph Cecil Smith. There might be a couple on there that are a bit excited, but nothing I'd call apeshit. Definitely nothing close to JCS's breakdown anyway.

I think a lot of frustration comes from the fact she's been able to tow the line and taunt folks at the same time. Just not a cool combo.

Parallacs

Yes, Kickstarter gets 5% of the pledges.

This will only be $1150 by the end of the project. KS has for sure spent more than that already dealing with this, with the PR and Project Support.

ido

I go an entire weekend without looking at this thread, and I come back still disheartened.

Fuck Kickstarter.

I support the guy who said someone should make a Kickstarter to make a better Kickstarter.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
I bet you she's getting a tech savvy neighbor to make the intro.

edit- I missed this...response from the author of the CNET article..

This is the last word from me on the story involving the Kickstarter campaign for the nine-year-old girl. It's an excerpt from my back-and-forth with +Corey Brin, who hopefully has a long career ahead of him as a spokesperson for reasonable skeptics and consumer watchdogs everywhere:

... To call the story I wrote one-sided though seems a little crazy to me.

First, I should also be clear that the writing I do on CNET involves reporting, analysis, opinion and even a little humor. I consider this a form of journalism so long as it's done in a way that's fair and transparent and opinions are obviously labeled as such. Notice I don't include "balanced" because I don't think all arguments, facts and suppositions carry equal weight.

Not everyone agrees with calling what I'm describing journalism, and that's a fair and important discussion to have. But we can do that another day, just want to let you know where I'm coming from.

So, I'd think we could agree this story has two sides on the most basic level - there's the side that believes Wilson (not Lewis) is a liar, scammer, cheater, rule-breaker, millionaire, etc. The pretty wide majority of commenters in this camp definitely fit the definition of a troll, particularly the author of the original post on Reddit that I quote. It's unfortunate you were lumped in with that description, but I certainly think it's an accurate description of the overall attitude of the aggregated group.

This guy is a hipster idiot. He doesn't know what a 'troll' is, and he thinks that what he does redefines writing for the web.

He's a pretentious hipster fool. Probably really only dove into the internet in the 2000s.

moka

It seems like whenever someone disagrees with you on the Internet they automatically become a troll nowadays.

Matrix

"Creator Susan Wilson about 1 hour ago

The shirt was given to him by his best friend Kristen (who is a lesbian). They have matching shirts and it's a sign of solidarity. I should put questions like this in the FAQs b/c it keeps coming up."

Corey Brin about 1 hour ago

@susan even though you knew that it was for solidarity I think you also knew using it as the front page pic would make your son look like a terrible human being with no respect for females.

"Creator Susan Wilson less than a minute ago

Actually the thought never occurred to me b/c he's that great of a human being and I'm so used to it. He has no patience for people hating on other people just because they look different, they're alone, their sexuality, race, religion, drugs, etc."

LOL at her defending her son now. The whole Kickstarter is throwing both her sons under the bus and based around them being bullies to their little sister.

Muku

"Creator Susan Wilson about 1 hour ago

The shirt was given to him by his best friend Kristen (who is a lesbian). They have matching shirts and it's a sign of solidarity. I should put questions like this in the FAQs b/c it keeps coming up."

Corey Brin about 1 hour ago

@susan even though you knew that it was for solidarity I think you also knew using it as the front page pic would make your son look like a terrible human being with no respect for females.

"Creator Susan Wilson less than a minute ago

Actually the thought never occurred to me b/c he's that great of a human being and I'm so used to it. He has no patience for people hating on other people just because they look different, they're alone, their sexuality, race, religion, drugs, etc."

LOL at her defending her son now. The whole Kickstarter is throwing both her sons under the bus and based around them being bullies to their little sister.

Now she's making him to be a saint. So which is it? Yeah, teenagers have their moments, but she done threw her sons under that bus, pull forward, then went in reverse, and then pulled forward again. Unless she is now saying only one of her sons is the devil.

Susan, just stop. It's obvious you've made stuff up to make this KS more appealing to more folks, but just stop.

EDIT: Regarding that article down below.. read that shortly after it happened. I kind of think it was a firing that was justified. She really should have talked to the officials at where it took place before just tweeting about it. If they hadn't done something about it, then I could see taking another route to bring it to light. But you also have to remember, you aren't the only person at these events. Sometimes those kind of jokes are best left at home. Or outside of the professional environment. (Can't remember where it took place.)

Kinyou

RC posted what I was thinking earlier about the brothers now.

A big WTF with that.

"
RC 13 minutes ago

@Susan Wilson says: "Kenzie and her brothers are working on an intro video for the game."
---- What the hell happened? Isn't this, '9 Year Old Building an RPG to Prove Her Brothers Wrong!' If that is the case why the hell is Kenzie's brothers helping her?
--- The whole BASIS/CORE of this KickStarter is for Kenzie (girl) to make a game herself RPG, thus backers are paying for her tuituion to a camp. Where she will learn.
--- I mean the whole Frontpage of this project is so gender biased, now this girl who was teased by the brothers... is being helped by them. How can she prove her brothers wrong, if her brothers are helping her?
--- What happened to all the ---- I {blank} LIKE A GIRL ---- campaign you were smearing all over the place? Have you failed your mission? Is the new shirt labeled I {NEED BOY'S HELP} LIKE A GIRL.
--- This project is angering me and evolving into something that is different from what it was meant to be!"

This was one of her most level headed supporters at first, who has his own daughters.
This thing is such a freakin trainwreck.

Matrix

Muku, besides that she also said they were now helping their sister with the games intro... those mean brothers! This is so pathetic lol

"Waqar Arshad 3 minutes ago

Susan Wilson:
"no patience for people hating on other people just because they look different, they're alone, their sexuality, race, religion, drugs, etc."

What about their gender? You know, the entire premise on which this kickstarter is based on? You practically villified your sons in this kickstarter campaign as patriarchal, insensitive bullies that pick on people younger and weaker than them. (like their 9 year old sister).

I mean, just read the heading - "9 Year Old Building an RPG to Prove Her Brothers Wrong!"

Now you sons are great human beings that hold no prejudices towards others? Which one is it?"

haha dude's in my head.

I'm still wondering wtf is the dad in all this. Was he Joseph? :p seriously odd considering his "lets get these kids off games and treasure hunt outside our beach house campaign" which of course failed.

moka

Dude we had a giant thread on that...

Yeah, I think the conclusion was that Adria Richards deserved to be fired for handing this situation like a child, for listening in on someone else's private conversation and taking over-reactions to a whole new level and that the developer didn't deserve to be fired since he didn't really do anything wrong.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
hR99dQB.jpg

Hmm...

This fits with everything she's written. She fully embraces cynicism for the purpose of earning capital. This would make a good pairing with that article she wrote about female college students not wanting to pick money up off desks, and how she ultimately felt they needed to be taught how to selfishly manipulate the system for their benefit.

It's all about the money, and using anything and everything at your disposal to get it. Including your children.

Edit: I like how she mentions a breast cancer survivor for no apparent reason.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Kickstarter would obligate her to deliver the promised product, an RPG maker game. And that's an actual rule, instead of a "guideline". Saying that the backers aren't the arbiters as to how their money is spent implies that it is our responsibility to prevent them from making poor financial decisions.
And how exactly would they do that? After seeing how they handled this matter, I wouldn't bet $5 that KS is going to do the right thing there.

"Website forces 9 years old girl to develop a game against her wishes" doesn't look too nice.

moka

This fits with everything she's written. She fully embraces cynicism for the purpose of earning capital. This would make a good pairing with that article she wrote about female college students not wanting to pick money up off desks, and how she ultimately felt they needed to be taught how to selfishly manipulate the system for their benefit.

It's all about the money, and using anything and everything at your disposal to get it. Including your children.

Edit: I like how she mentions a breast cancer survivor for no apparent reason.

Holy crap, I hadn't seen that screenshot till now! That's so fucked up, I need to include it in my summary.

What...why are her brothers now involved?

Why is this woman allowed to ask for money while openly admitting she doesn't know where it's going?

Why is she allowed to have this kickstarter up when the thing she was initially funding has already been paid for?

Why is she allowed to constantly change the overall aim of the funding?

Am I allowed to set up a Kickstarter, ask for an arbitrary amount and then when I get more than I expected, just change it into some sort of PR campaign revolving around some larger project?

I really do wonder what would happen if a similar project was set up - would Kickstarter remove it almost instantly? If they did then it'd show that they're being completely hypocritical here, and if they didn't then it'd highlight the poor enforcement of their own rules, rules which are supposed to protect those funding.

Matrix

What the hell is wrong with people? I just weep for humanity sometimes.

Mirage_GSM less than a minute ago

Dear Susan
I just came upon this project and decided to add to your problems by increasing the overfunding just one tiny bit.
It’s a bit sad that the comment section seems to have been taken over by trolls and their “legitimate concerns”, but while they can spam this section, they can’t tell me where to pledge my money.
Yes, I read about the concerns, and yes, the project could have been handled better, but this project isn’t Star Citizen, and you’re not Chris Roberts.
I’m sure you don’t want Kenzie to read all this hate in here, but please tell her I wish her all the best for her project, and I’m looking forward to whatever she creates.
As for you, I hope you continue to encourage your daughter’s (and sons’) creativity whether in creating computer games or in whatever field she might decide for when she gets older.
Best Regards.
@all: Next to the "post" button, there is a link. Click it!
"If you don't like a project, don't back it. No need to be a jerk."

I hope all these funders get sent a letter with just "RPG" written on it.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
So obvious scam is obvious to everyone but Kickstarter and when shown the details on it Kickstarter doesn't do anything about it?

Well, there is a bubble bursting

Muku

Muku, besides that she also said they were now helping their sister with the games intro... those mean brothers! This is so pathetic lol

Yeah, when I saw that I just facepalmed. I mean seriously. RC made quick work of those concerns too. LOL liked the ...

--- This project is angering me and evolving into something that is different from what it was meant to be!

Wow @ that Mirage guy. Actually, they'll probably not even get sent a letter. Just an email claiming to be from Kenzie. And the only thing outside of saying it's coming from Kenzie is the phrase "RPG Game" along with maybe an ASCII dude with a sword.

I've funded several professional music and game projects (pressing real vinyl albums, developing real video games) on Kickstarter, but I'm done. Kickstarter is making money off of fraud and a project that explicitly violates their terms on many levels. I'm still willing to crowdfund projects that I believe in but not through this site. Hopefully if Double Fine (for example) does any crowdfunding again they find a legitimate vehicle to do it through.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
What the hell is wrong with people? I just weep for humanity sometimes.

Mirage_GSM less than a minute ago

Dear Susan
I just came upon this project and decided to add to your problems by increasing the overfunding just one tiny bit.
It’s a bit sad that the comment section seems to have been taken over by trolls and their “legitimate concerns”, but while they can spam this section, they can’t tell me where to pledge my money.
Yes, I read about the concerns, and yes, the project could have been handled better, but this project isn’t Star Citizen, and you’re not Chris Roberts.
I’m sure you don’t want Kenzie to read all this hate in here, but please tell her I wish her all the best for her project, and I’m looking forward to whatever she creates.
As for you, I hope you continue to encourage your daughter’s (and sons’) creativity whether in creating computer games or in whatever field she might decide for when she gets older.
Best Regards.
@all: Next to the "post" button, there is a link. Click it!
"If you don't like a project, don't back it. No need to be a jerk."

I hope all these funders get sent a letter with just "RPG" written on it.
Stupids gonna be stupid.

Muku

Stupids gonna be stupid.

Actually he just posted something new. That this is about Kenzie, which is why he donated. *facepalm* Kenzie isn't old enough to run the show. Guess who is though? SURPRISE! It's Susan. And do we think we can trust her with money? Why should we? She's not alleviated anyone's fears.

I'm not getting into a debate here, this is just because I probably should have included it in my first post:
I don't need to be reminded about links that are still on the first page of the comments section. I can read, I have read, and I decided to pledge regardless.
I don't care about Susan's views on women and money. I don't care about her income, her job, any awards she might have been given in the past, her stance on GLBT-rights, her ability to create politically correct Kickstarter campaigns or the kind of shoes she wears.
Because this Kickstarter is not about her. It is about Kenzie.
So the only thing I care about regarding Susan in that context is that she is a loving mom, and nothing anyone posted so far has led me to believe that is not the case.
End of discussion on my part.
So the only thing

Yeah, that last part is just left off as it is. I'm assuming he hit enter too soon.

So the only thing I care about regarding Susan in that context is that she is a loving mom, and nothing anyone posted so far has led me to believe that is not the case.

The way she vilified her sons kinda proves otherwise...

Tom_Cody

I hope the Kickstarter guys think it was worth all this controversy over the 2 thousand they will get for this.
I think it's more that she is seems eager to play the victim and would make a PR/legal mess for them if they try to nix her project.

I'm sure KS just wants this to go away.

A loving mom doesn't use their daughter as a prop to help fund her personal ambitions.

This whole thing is so distasteful and all the 'white knight' (and that's a term I don't use often) news coverage of it makes me seriously bummed out.

Will a single news site step up and update their stories with what we now know about Susan Wilson? I'm sorry, but if your accomplishments in life are domain squatting and selling fake product development to gullible investors, nobody should be rallying around you when you use your daughter as a media pawn to help line your pockets.

Top Bottom