• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Mini-LED is here and it is absolutely incredible and worth considering

DynamiteCop!

Mar 3, 2018
I have no doubt that LCD will eventually kill OLED, it will match it in contrast and blacks while destroying it in every other regard.

JohnnyFootball

The Last of Us may be third person, but it is hardly third person.
Jan 20, 2014
I have no doubt that LCD will eventually kill OLED, it will match it in contrast and blacks while destroying it in every other regard.
If MicroLED can be made in a cost effective manner and live up to its potential, then I agree it absolutely should be the preferred display tech. But, it's not a given that will happen. Pixel density is an R&D headache right now. Getting the pixel density down to where it can accommodate enough pixels for a 4K display (especially 8K) at 55" inches has been in a word challenging. Do I think it will get there? Yes, eventually, but it aint gonna be tomorrow. It's also important to note that while sharing a similar name, MicroLED is in many ways different from current LED, so it's not a proven that it will be able to carry all the advantages of LED and negate the disadvantages. It should mind you.

As for killing OLED, I don't think that will happen as OLED still has plenty of things going for it. OLEDs pixel response time is the best of all display tech, an advantage that often gets ignored since it's not in gaming monitors. If they can get OLEDs size down it could make for a very competitive gaming monitor.
OLED tech continues to evolve and get better and many of the anti-burn in features go a long way to minimizing OLEDs biggest concern.
Another advantage is that cost of OLEDs continues to go down. By the time MicroLED makes its way into stores, it will definitely be priced in the premium price of around $2500 - $5000+ By that time OLEDs could potentially be had for well under $1000. OLED still has good life left.

Shrap

Aug 26, 2019
Lucky it's here. If it was there then it'd be a lot harder to get to and probably not worth considering.