• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mini Mafia I |OT| Why is it so small?

Sorian

Banned
The insistence of a SK makes more sense now from melon

The plan kind of came together after the fact, I didn't realize town had the option of a roleblocker because I didn't read the full rule set at first >_> So when she claimed I figured she had to be full of shit and that was that, then I realized there was the possibility town could have roleblocked me.

Who were you shooting n1 and n2 yn?
Same with my votes for that day, melon then terrabyte :x I'm not hard to read .___.

Well, I hopped on your hyper train on d1, but my heart was set on melon that day.

I actually eased off melon on d2, she played the emotional appeal card well! But then I got blocked again and woke up to another refunded bullet, so I was getting pretty frustrated.

Sorian

Banned
We picked Sophia because she was in the middle going into D3 and not one of the town lwader like Kawl and be an unexpected choice (likely a doctor would've be protecting her) and it would also impact activity.

We did alll suspect ynny was something for D1 which is why we kept blocking her. Part of my wanted to NK her over Sophia but I really didn't speak up.

RIP, my bad then, killing ynnny that night would have made for a way different game.

Thank you batsie and time for running this tiny mafia game!

Your flavours were awesome and I can feel that you two were always there, watching over us killing each other ❤

I had fun 🎊!

RIP, my bad then, killing ynnny that night would have made for a way different game.

No. It was mostly me holding back on suggesting it. I was already flustered for having to fight to even make it to D3 and I thought a ynny NK would doom me. However, now seeing how she was there only town pr left even if I was lynched D3, I think you would have been OK.

Ynnny best townie. o/
I think kawl actually set town off to an amazing start in d1, with his peeking plan. I didn't pick up on hyper's scumminess at all, tbh.

That's why when you were suss of my hyper vote in d1, it was a spot on read, sophsoph. Cuz I really didn't see scumminess in him. But Kawl was my towniest read, so I hopped on his train to break the four way tie.

Sophia

I think kawl actually set town off to an amazing start in d1, with his peeking plan. I didn't pick up on hyper's scumminess at all, tbh.

That's why when you were suss of my hyper vote in d1, it was a spot on read, sophsoph. Cuz I really didn't see scumminess in him. But Kawl was my towniest read, so I hopped on his train to break the four way tie.

I picked up something odd with Hyper, but I couldn't figure out what until Kawl pointed it out.

Between Kawl's awesome reads, your gambit, and a bit of luck this game was really town favored.

Kawl_USC

Nah, I got pretty lucky on my push for hyper but your gambit here nailing both scum easily takes the cake. No contest. ridiculously awesome play.

Ty4on

Nah, I got pretty lucky on my push for hyper but your gambit here nailing both scum easily takes the cake. No contest. ridiculously awesome play.
This game would have looked completely different with Yeeny NK'd N1/2.

I regret not taking a d2 Terra lynch seriously.

No actually, all my reads were based on the peeking plan reactions! I read melon as softly and persistently against it in d1 so it sets me off. Hyper was too visibly against it and I thought maf wouldn't be that bold in d1.

Then terra in d2 was one of the people (it was terra and Stanley and febe) who said he was pro peeking but failed to report a peek plus his defensiveness, made me scumread him.

But all of my reads were all based on their reactions to your peeking plan ... It had legs, that plan of yours!

Ty4on

I think scum played well and were unlucky Kawl and Yeeny kicked ass. They didn't have that much suspicion before Kawl and Yeeny forced it.
CURRENT VOTE TALLY:

Terrabyte20xx (2)
cabot .233
StanleyPalmtree .264

Lone_Prodigy (2)
melonrabbit .214
Fireblend .316

melonrabbit (2)
YesNOnoNOYes .270
Ty4on .280

cabot (1)
Kawl_USC .24 .265
*Splinter .37 .51
Kristoffer .46 .147
SkyOdin .206

Hyperactivity (1)
Kristoffer .23 .46
Kawl_USC .279

YesNOnoNOYes (1)
cabot .27 .217
Sophia .196 .278
*Splinter .241

StanleyPalmtree (0)
YesNOnoNOYes .146 .210

*Splinter (0)
cabot .217 .233

Catvoca (0)
YesNOnoNOYes .210 .270
Kawl_USC .267 .279

Kawl_USC (0)
Lone_Prodigy .31 .103
*Splinter .51 .241
Terrabyte20xx .77 .276

Kristoffer (0)
Ty4on .29 .149

Ty4on (0)
SkyOdin .39 .206
Catvoca .259 .301

No active vote for Day 1:
Hyperactivity
Lone_Prodigy (has previously voted)
Sophia (has previously voted)
Terrabyte20xx (has previously voted)

Day 1 ends:
red_1469566800.png

Automated vote tally here

Plurality Lynch Rule In Effect
I never imagined all of scum getting scum read on D1. It's like town covered all bases.

Sophia

No actually, all my reads were based on the peeking plan reactions! I read melon as softly and persistently against it in d1 so it sets me off. Hyper was too visibly against it and I thought maf wouldn't be that bold in d1.

Then terra in d2 was one of the people (it was terra and Stanley and febe) who said he was pro peeking but failed to report a peek plus his defensiveness, made me scumread him.

But all of my reads were all based on their reactions to your peeking plan ... It had legs, that plan of yours!

The peeking plan was pretty interesting. I attribute this partially to being the first time a lot of have seen it, but it gave us very good reads on people that we might have not had otherwise on Day 1. So even thought the cop died, we knew where to look.

especially especially in a lower population game, where scum have more info than normal

every day, you let scum get closer and closer to the cop. Just be able to eliminate a few suspects is HUGE

Meanwhile, unless the cop himself is terrible, or scum get lucky with their guess (which peeking helps them with), the cop will typically take out at least 1 scum and confirm a few towbies. asides from games where the cop dies like N1, what game have we had where cop doesn't get 1 scum/confirm A BUNCH of townies

so yeah

peeking is a dumb idea

and cops can breadcrumb perfectly fine, because every single person can find some bs reason to town or scum read people ("feels", "gut reads"), and when the cop does it, you just go and look bad

Kawl_USC

And no, peeking isn't dumb

because if scum is only using their kill to hunt for the cop,

every person they kill is confirming that peek as town.

Which was the extra information provided by it. It can in a way turn even vanilla town people into soft cops.

Sophia

Which was the extra information provided by it. It can in a way turn even vanilla town people into soft cops.

How is that confirmation? I mean, it heavily implies that the other person "peeked" on is townie, but I'm not sure how that counts as explicit confirmation.

I do understand the idea behind it tho. It gives a lot of information because the real cop would name a confirmed scum or townie, and other townies are likely to name people they perceive as townie.

CzarTim

In a small game like this, a cop is going to claim pretty early, right? Like I'd expect a day 4 claim at the latest. So if peeking gives the cop even one extra day, it's worth it imo.

The only issues would be if the cop was blocked or an x-shot.

Kawl_USC

How is that confirmation? I mean, it heavily implies that the other person "peeked" on is townie, but I'm not sure how that counts as explicit confirmation.

I do understand the idea behind it tho. It gives a lot of information because the real cop would name a confirmed scum or townie, and other townies are likely to name people they perceive as townie.

If scum are solely cop hunting with their kill, which was my understanding of what hyper was saying, they will only be killing people who have correctly peeked towns people.

If someone peeked scum, scum would know to not NK that person.

Of course WIFOM and what not muddies that water, but it provides more info if you think a person was killed due to cop hunting off peeks.

One thing I didn't get was the "if I was a one shot cop" thing. Sure a one shot would claim as soon as they'd used their shot, making that pretty redundant.

Sophia

If scum are solely cop hunting with their kill, which was my understanding of what hyper was saying, they will only be killing people who have correctly peeked towns people.

If someone peeked scum, scum would know to not NK that person.

Of course WIFOM and what not muddies that water, but it provides more info if you think a person was killed due to cop hunting off peeks.

Right, I get how it provides more info. Just now how it explicitly confirms townies especially considering it's easy to throw off that strategy by simply NKing someone who peeked scum. =P

Kawl_USC

Right, I get how it provides more info. Just now how it explicitly confirms townies especially considering it's easy to throw off that strategy by simply NKing someone who peeked scum. =P

Well if they aren't hitting people who peeked correctly then its giving the cop more nights to live.

Win/win there imo.

Kawl_USC

One thing I didn't get was the "if I was a one shot cop" thing. Sure a one shot would claim as soon as they'd used their shot, making that pretty redundant.

Not necessarily, it allows more bluffing, mind games, etc.

Plus sometimes if you hit a townie as a one shot cop, you'd rather not spill the beans but keep that confirmed townie for later when the numbers were getting tighter to aid in POE.

Not to mention people aren't always going to be using their one shot on N1 if they think they have a good shot at living.

Do you know the rationale behind every scum kill?

And can't scum really easily throw that off? Even if they never do, you approach useless WIFOM territory.

And there is a roleblocker, in most of their set-ups to use, right?

And after night 2, how do you know which peek screwed x player over?

And scum don't have to specifically go "cop-hunting". It's just an added benefit for them. There are other factors that play a role in who scum kills: their reads, Doctor hunting, the way they can manipulate info.

And the very idea of "choosing your most likely townie" means that in general, perks will be converging. But most cops won't really be doing this, they typically go for a bunch of lower players that they expect to live longer or really obvious targets. That's a behavioral difference that scum is as likely, if not more, to be picking up on. Why would the cop check someone that everyone is 90% sure is town, and will likely be nk'ed, and only is not becomes suspicious. Why would cop check loud people that probably wouldn't survive too long? Why would cop check the critical actors behind a scum lynch?

Not saying a cop might not, but scum don't just get closer to scum for the people that peek them, but the people that peek targets that would be generally terrible. People that peek Kawl day 2 are revealing as much as the people that peeked terra

And once you peek, you're sorta stuck, aren't you? If your target had a phenomenal day 1, but starts acting weird day 2, you trying to be suspicious of them, again helps scum close in

And at the end of all of this, scum could very well look at who is left, and decide to block the remaining cop suspects and kill the remaining people that were peeked. Especially if it's a decent kill for them anyways

A cop that had legitimately peeked lone_prodigy on day 2, might as well still be screwed because lone_prodigy was a good target for scum anyways. A cop that was unsure about Sophia, is screwed because Sophia is still a decent target for scum

And if scum find the cop, and just block him endlessly? That sounds like a town lynches cop situation

And if the scum team is really, really that desperate, and scared of peeking? Narrow down your possible cop targets, or even who the SK might be, and accuse. Cop counterclaims? Mission accomplished. Cop doesn't? You just got the list even smaller, and can eliminate 2 suspects each night between your block and kill, from what at most would probably be a pile of 6 players (now down to 3)

Oh, and this is just on day 2. With all these methods, scum can probably have a fairly good guess at who the cop is by day 3. If a scum mate claimed cop, look at who was on the ball about that player. See which players peek those players.

And if a player made a good peek target on day 2, can they repeat on day 3?

So what's the alternative? People peek whoever? Wow, scum have the easiest time blending on the peek department and fucking things up. You gave the easiest excuse ever to backtrack on your peeks from before. "Oh no, that dude is actually scum, I just wanted to get another read. Plus this exacerbates the issue of a player being suspicious of their peek.

And cops that find scum N1 are advised to keep quiet until later, right? Get one more town. Except, that's just generally problematic if scum get the cop N2, either for being a good target in general or town read by people scum suspect of being cop.

And then the SK, if it's in the game, makes things worse. If he goes 1-shot bulletproof, which I agree with Kawl is probably the better choice (scum have an arguably easier time finding the SK) that dude is looking for the cop too. Now you have more kills at night. You might not have other teammates people read wrong, but the sorts of targets cops would go for, along with the people that peek you (and if you're going bulletproof, you're probably pretty confident in your town game). If the SK accidentally kills a peek target that's scum guess one of their possible cops went for? Helps scum find the cop. And the same vice versa

It's just a mess with so many things that can go horribly wrong

Smart prs know how to handle their own roles.

Super meta, but I'm going to be opposing peeking in the next game too. So try not to use it as a scum tell because a player has legitimate doubts about the effectiveness of a plan

And the one shot cop thing:

No 1-shot should be investigating N1 unless there's like a 95% chance they're getting lynched tomorrow. Players that peek D2 as 1-shot again out themselves

Then there's the whole "peek your towbies to player", which is even worse for the 1-shot, because you really should either be going for an obvious target of be in the end game when you use that shot. Again, players that shouldn't be alive by the end game shouldn't be the ones you're investigating

In a small game like this, a cop is going to claim pretty early, right? Like I'd expect a day 4 claim at the latest. So if peeking gives the cop even one extra day, it's worth it imo.

The only issues would be if the cop was blocked or an x-shot.

The shortest this this set-up gets to end game is day 4 with 3 players iirc. More vigs makes it a 3 day game

If only scum is killing, and no doctors or blocks get in their way, the game ends by day 6.

Day 4 is endgame territory.

Sophia

Scum and spec threads are now open. Sorry for the delay, I was at a funeral.

Oh that's some irony.

Hyperactivity said:
Because 99% of the time, someone that's suspicious of you doesn't have much to back it up, half the votes are going to go based off of how they "feel", and no one will be analyzing your every little post.

Analyzing every post is how we lynched Hyper. XD

Kawl_USC

I didn't scum read you because you didn't want to peak, I scum read you because I felt like your argument for it was wishy washy and self conflicting.

CzarTim

The shortest this this set-up gets to end game is day 4 with 3 players iirc. More vigs makes it a 3 day game

If only scum is killing, and no doctors or blocks get in their way, the game ends by day 6.

Day 4 is endgame territory.

Right, so no peeking and I'm claiming day 3 just to be safe and clear 1/2 people. Peeking I might push it to day 4 or 5 depending on the situation, and who cares if I am nked because town has my results. That's the point, I can push my luck a bit without risking town getting no info or having to search for breadcrumbs.

I agree it isn't a perfect strategy, and I think I'd only do it in smaller open or semi-open games. But I don't think it's as bad as you say. Unless scum can reliably figure out the cop on day two, it doesn't affect the game.

I didn't scum read you because you didn't want to peak, I scum read you because I felt like your argument for it was wishy washy and self conflicting.

Because my feelings on peeking were wishy-washy, and I eventually realized that I wanted peeking as scum

So yeah, me pointing out that I've had the same "fake" transparent here are my thoughts as they change style throughout every game I've ever been active in, was true

And me comparing you to me in Bar Mafia and Harry Potter, where I was arso and scum, was again, true. That post was going to start off as a full rebuttal to Terra's idea to just vote for you for being active, and halfway through I sat down, thought about it for a second, and used myself as an example because they were the best examples I could come up with right off the top of my head

Top Bottom