• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MiniDoom 2 launched.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

What if Doom was a platformer instead of a first person shooter? The answer is miniDoom 2, a fan game that pays homage to the Doom franchise by reimagining it as a 2d retro platformer. It takes the beloved cast of classic DOOM enemies and weapons and blends them with old school 80s and 90s games like Contra and Metal Slug resulting in a fast paced pixelated carnage fest with a killer heavy metal soundtrack.

Features:

• 17 new levels and 2 new bosses for hours of fun (and frustration).
  • 14 weapons spanning all Doom games and additional secret weapons.
  • 40+ minutes of face-melting metal and spine-shivering ambient music, plus renditions of the classic “At Doom’s Gate” theme.
  • Secrets, upgrades and mysterious artifacts to discover and unlock.
  • Smooth and responsive controls that will make your skills the most important weapon to defeat the legions of hell.
  • Colorful, funny and bloody artwork inspired on 80s and 90s games.
  • 5 levels of difficulty and 4 game modes to fit every gamer, from the inexperienced rookie to the demon slaying hardcore gamer that has walked the planes for a million years.

https://calaverastudio.itch.io/minidoom2/devlog/26880/minidoom-2-launched

Last edited:

DiscoJer

I would think a top down shooter (like say Gauntlet) would be truer to Doom (you could probably have the same maps), but neat.

abracadaver

I would think a top down shooter (like say Gauntlet) would be truer to Doom (you could probably have the same maps), but neat.

Always wondered why this hasn't been done yet.
The whole game is in 2D. You don't aim up or down, there are no rooms over rooms.

You could play the game in the minimap if it would show the monsters

Last edited:

Airola

I used to play Duke Nukem 3D by putting the map on and playing it like a top down adventure. Obviously it never took me anywhere in the game but as around that time I was losing interest towards FPS games I think I was trying to get back to the gameplay style I used to enjoy more than what these new games were going for.

Top Bottom