• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge to be PS3 timed exclusive according to David Reeves, need Deutsch GAF

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
RandomVince said:
Timed exclusives shouldnt come as a surprise to anyone, really? It's not like there arent a hundred other games where this is the case. I wonder how many people are in an uproar over this who was silent when every other timed exclusive came and went.

Yea these same people should be upset over the Last Remnant

deadatom

Banned
llTll said:
i will not talk about ur other theories since no one knows BUT # 2 wat ?

the game is nice looking yes but its not stunning. and they were abit to fit gears of war in the game. this game will have np fitting 1 dvd

maybe theres a 300 foot monster like in resistance 2 that you have to platform over to deliver a package... a 300 foot monster takes way more space then 30 foot monsters... thats why gears of war 2 can fit in a dvd... and resistance needs a dual layer bd cuz its monters are 10x bigger...

anyways im just throwing shit on the wall to see what sticks.. and what sticks the best to me is localization issues in europe that would cause a delay in releasing the game for both platforms there and missing the holiday shopping season..

im also gonna throw out another "theory" that announcement is more of a PR type thing.. people are more interested in "exclusives" (timed or not) and pay more attention to them then regular multiplats these days... it could help them make a bit more sales on the ps3 console since fall will be stacked with games.. it could be that they feel that releasing it later for the 360 will generate more sales later when the season is over and people get tired of all the 3rd party games... but feel that they must release it at or around the same time as the sony first party games like lbp...

anyways heres the gist of my latest "theory"... tieing the "exclusive" monkier to it would increase sales on the ps3 in a very crowded release window... while making it timed would booste sales of the game when its release on the 360 perhaps around feburary?? i dunno the date.. but that would make sense... people will by that time be looking for something new to play... blah blah

anyways... that idea is prob dumb.. its prob a localization issue only dealing with europe... it will prob be released in the usa at the same time.. europe will get the shaft for having to many languages.. just like how god intended it to be...

Defuser

Apparently some gaffers forget the lulz of some poster in the FFXIII 360 thread. :lol what was his username again? I forgot.

legend166

You have to think Sony paid out a nice chunk of change for this.

I can't really see the advantages of releasing a timed PS3 exclusive at this stage.

cakefoo

legend166 said:
You have to think Sony paid out a nice chunk of change for this.

I can't really see the advantages of releasing a timed PS3 exclusive at this stage.
Why? It's not like this is a JRPG exclusive to 360.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
CryBaby%5B10%5D.jpg

lol

lupinko

Euphor!a said:
So has this been confirmed by either SCEE or EA yet? Or is it still just speculation based on the article?

Should be already confirmed by SCEE since it is from David Reeves, even though he makes a lot of silly comments (such as the Bittorrent PSP gaffe), when it comes to actual news (such as him revealing the 60GB price drop in North America was really because it was a discontinued SKU to be replaced), he's pretty quite accurate.

Sean

Banned
Nice pick-up for Sony if true. They haven't had the best of luck with their timed-exclusives (UT3 and Haze) so far, hopefully this works out better for them. The game has a lot of potential and I hope it sells well.

Guess I'll be getting the game on PS3 now.

deadatom

Banned
well... im gonna side with ron paul here... i just read his news letter (now with 19% more racism due to inflation) and it says that the illuminati delayed the 360 version. They delayed it to coincide with the opening of the nafta highway so that the mirror's edge story would bury the nafta highway story in the NYT's..

seriously .... we can all speculate about shit.. hell ive done some myself.. i mean its just a rumor.. i could just say microsoft asked ea to delay it so that "LIPZ" or that stupid cam b movie game with the crazy jewish clownish voice game would do better... but i WONT!!! cuz it just feeds the rumor mill... i mean it could even have to do with the rumor of the 360 motion controller coming out!!! but i wont even entertain that idea even though i did before! its a rumor.. everyone get a grip.. ITS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD!! ITS JUST A GAME!!

Steroyd

deadatom said:
ITS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD!! ITS JUST A GAME!!

And yet when I fuck up a shot in Everybody's Golf, or my Goalkeeper acts retarded and lets a stupid goal in, in Pro Evo I have the urge to punch the TV, where is the line drawn man, WHERE IS THE LINE DRAWN!?

jorma

is now taking requests
Xyphie said:

Hmm, some people that are quoting how Tretton said they would not pay for exclusives should probably read the whole thing:

Sony said:
"We don't buy exclusivity. We don't fund development. We don't, for lack of a better term, bribe somebody to only do a game on our platform."

"We earn it by saying, 'You can build a better game on our platform. If you focus your development on our platform, you will ultimately be more successful. We can try to partner up with you from a technology standpoint. We can try to partner up with you from a marketing standpoint. But just economically and technologically, this is the system that makes the most sense for you.'"

Haunted

Sounds like a setup from some Xbox fan. As soon as this rumour is disproven it's all "lolol Sony losing another exclusive"

Steroyd said:
And people said Sony fans are the new Nintendo fans. >_>
So Microsoft fans are the new Sony fans? Still needs a self-righteous petition to boycott all EA games with tens of thousands of votes, though.

How do we know that this is a worldwide exclusive? Couldn't it be just a Europe exclusive, being as PS3 is stronger in Europe than in the US. I can't imagine EA forgoing the revenue from the 360 version this holiday, being as within the US every multiplatform game has sold better on 360 than PS3.

mikekennyb said:
How do we know that this is a worldwide exclusive? Couldn't it be just a Europe exclusive, being as PS3 is stronger in Europe than in the US. I can't imagine EA forgoing the revenue from the 360 version this holiday, being as within the US every multiplatform game has sold better on 360 than PS3.

methinks gears 2 will be eating all the monies this winter. holding back would make sense. its a win win situation.

[Nintex]

mikekennyb said:
EA guy1: Hay Guys, lets cut our revenue in half..

Negaiido

I don't get Sony at all this generation, they should stay with the PS2 concept of having a lot of RPG's.
Why change the concept when their previous sold a lot better.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
waste of money.

sony have also ponied up to have exclusive fifa 09 marketing.

So having a game only released on the PS3 for a period of time is a bad idea, but paying the huge marketing bill of a game that'll be released on all platforms at the same time is a good idea?

domlolz

Banned
llTll said:
i will not talk about ur other theories since no one knows BUT # 2 wat ?

the game is nice looking yes but its not stunning. and they were abit to fit gears of war in the game. this game will have np fitting 1 dvd

Hey
I just wanted to say
this game is look a lot more stunning than any gearssss o' warrr

toodles

Doubledex

Banned
gregor7777 said:
Thread disappoints. If this were the other way around (even if it's bs) we'd have 250 posts of moneyhat related garbage.

Shame on you GAF.
How much "moneyhatted" 3rd Party exclusives did SONY had @this generation?
And now think the other way around

SolidSnakex said:
So having a game only released on the PS3 for a period of time is a bad idea, but paying the huge marketing bill of a game that'll be released on all platforms at the same time is a good idea?
Well, it is freaking FIFA 09 :p Although it might be stupid already, since Soccer = Europe, Europe = Sony. But still, if they stop at some point it might change.

no, paying for both shows you how retarded sony are this gen.

this mirror game won't do jack for the ps3 in terms of pushing systems and fifa 09 ps3 would sell skips full without any marketing at all.

waste of money.

Metalmurphy said:
Well, it is freaking FIFA 09 :p Although it might be stupid already, since Soccer = Europe, Europe = Sony. But still, if they stop at some point it might change.

What good would it do though? FIFA is a huge series known for release on every platform at the same time. It's not like they're going to trick people into thinking there's only a PS3 version of it out.

You know...

Fallout 3, Gears of War 2, Fable 2, Infinite Undiscovery, Dead Space, Banjo 3 (!), with RE5 coming next March, Sony can have temporary exclusive rights to a game I want to play for a while. It will ease my wallet a tiny bit from the financial shit storm that is the 2008 holiday season.

ram

CosmicGroinPull said:
Good. That means PS3's the lead platform. Now I'm looking forward to this game even more :D

mirrors edge uses unreal engine 3 - so no platform is the lead platform in terms of tech. but at least the ps3 version will be superior thanks to the clever inclusion of motion controls.

btw. i`ll doubt that the ps3 game will be sooner out than the other platforms. heise isnt a serious gaming website and they post many shit nowadays.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Wax Free Vanilla said:
no, paying for both shows you how retarded sony are this gen.

this mirror game won't do jack for the ps3 in terms of pushing systems and fifa 09 ps3 would sell skips full without any marketing at all.

waste of money.
Are you just trying to make yourself feel better or do you actually believe this?

I doubt this will improve total sales of the game. With previous timed exclusives on both consoles I always had the feeling that interest for the second release was much less than the initial release.

Next to that, I'm finally planning to buy a PS3 but I'm very hesitant in buying multiplat games for the PS3. It sucks that even with a PS3 I still have to wait to play it on Xbox 360.

Top Bottom