• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge to be PS3 timed exclusive according to David Reeves, need Deutsch GAF

DCharlie

Banned
timed exclusives are good business for pubs - you still get to release the game on all platforms and get a nice bonus for putting it on one machine first without missing out on sales on both consoles.

I expect more and more timed exclusives as the gen goes on for PS3/X360.

Not exactly sure what there is to get upset about though - the game is still going to be on both platforms, just means more of a wait on one machine than the other. For single machine owners it shouldn't make a difference.

PjotrStroganov said:
Next to that, I'm finally planning to buy a PS3 but I'm very hesitant in buying multiplat games for the PS3. It sucks that even with a PS3 I still have to wait to play it on Xbox 360.

The game is leading on the PS3. All the videos, impressions, and screens you've seen it are of that version.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
SolidSnakex said:
The game is leading on the PS3. All the videos, impressions, and screens you've seen it are of that version.
And there's no anti-aliasing, yet (at least it doesn't look like it does to me). Maybe the eventual 360 version will have AA when the PS3 doesn't.

I'm waiting for the PC version myself.

okrim

Banned
PjotrStroganov said:
I doubt this will improve total sales of the game. With previous timed exclusives on both consoles I always had the feeling that interest for the second release was much less than the initial release.

Next to that, I'm finally planning to buy a PS3 but I'm very hesitant in buying multiplat games for the PS3. It sucks that even with a PS3 I still have to wait to play it on Xbox 360.
Oh Gesus what crap...the difference in the multiplat now is ridicule, to watch that needs of a performance analyzer or something of that, do you see difference between GTA IV or DMC 4 with your eyes? So? I don't understand this ridicules complaint...

DCharlie

Banned
i assume as the game is UE3 that the games will run pretty much the same now UE3 is bedded down on both platforms.

I would have thought that using UE3 would mean that the lead platform wouldn't make that much of a difference (?)

okrim

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
And there's no anti-aliasing, yet (at least it doesn't look like it does to me). Maybe the eventual 360 version will have AA when the PS3 doesn't.

Gears of war 2 too; the AA it isn't a ps3 problem, but an unreal engine problem.

I'm really looking forward to Mirror's Edge, I have a PS3, but if this is true I'd rather wait. There's too many games coming out late October and early November anyways :D .

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DCharlie said:
i assume as the game is UE3 that the games will run pretty much the same now UE3 is bedded down on both platforms.

I would have thought that using UE3 would mean that the lead platform wouldn't make that much of a difference (?)

True, and it makes the whole "it's leading on PS3, let's only show it on PS3, lets advertise it on PS3, let's (maybe) make it time exclusive on PS3" thingie whiff all the more of a contrived situation borne out of a deal struck between EA and Sony.

It also makes a BIT more sense to me now why Mirror's Edge was on the official ps mag's cover post-E3 (in the UK). Ahead of God of War etc. etc. I thought it was a bit odd when I first saw it, but now with all these pieces falling into place it makes more sense.

(I'd like to think it was on the cover for its own merits, but I think we all know that what gets on magazine covers is often a function of prior negotiation..)

edit - edited wrong post :(

Sean

Banned
BobsRevenge said:

I could be totally wrong here, but I seem to recall reading that UE3 doesn't support anti-aliasing (or that it's too much of a performance hit to be worth it for devs).

So it's not so much a console/GPU thing but a quirk of the Unreal engine.

Jenga

Banned
Actually, with the PC version being somewhat delayed I can imagine they'll add some some more graphical goodies to it.

Haunted

I basically read all those timed exclusive announcements for the 360 or the PS3 as "PC version delayed".

:/

dejan

Jenga said:
Actually, with the PC version being somewhat delayed I can imagine they'll add some some more graphical goodies to it.
I'm holding out for the definitive version too.
Well, it's not like I have a choice.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DCharlie said:
timed exclusives are good business for pubs - you still get to release the game on all platforms and get a nice bonus for putting it on one machine first without missing out on sales on both consoles.

I expect more and more timed exclusives as the gen goes on for PS3/X360.

Not exactly sure what there is to get upset about though - the game is still going to be on both platforms, just means more of a wait on one machine than the other. For single machine owners it shouldn't make a difference.
It does make a difference for those of us who want PC versions first (for 60 fps + superior image quality). :(

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Sean said:
I could be totally wrong here, but I seem to recall reading that UE3 doesn't support anti-aliasing (or that it's too much of a performance hit to be worth it for devs).

So it's not so much a console/GPU thing but a quirk of the Unreal engine.
Word?

Nevermind then.

okrim said:
Oh Gesus what crap...the difference in the multiplat now is ridicule, to watch that needs of a performance analyzer or something of that, do you see difference between GTA IV or DMC 4 with your eyes? So? I don't understand this ridicules complaint...

DMC 4 is actually better on PS3, better ice and other shading effects (especially with Berial) plus 60FPS cutscenes (Compared to 30FPS on 360) The 360 version does have very slightly better AA but that doesn't make up for the loss of effects. Same framerate on both (Including the slowdown in the jungle stages)

GTA4 is also very noticabally better on 360, better framerate and clearer graphics.

Then again, Mirror's Edge is supposedly leading on PS3 so it should likely be the better version of the two if anything.

szaromir said:
Yeah, FIFA 08 is flying on the Wii...

Wax Free Vanilla said:
no, paying for both shows you how retarded sony are this gen.

this mirror game won't do jack for the ps3 in terms of pushing systems and fifa 09 ps3 would sell skips full without any marketing at all.

waste of money.
Kinda like McDonalds and Coca-Cola keeps wasting money on marketing right? Good thing you don't work in that department, you'd suck at it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DCharlie said:
it's unreal - why settle for just 60fps? :D
The only way to get higher than 60 fps on a non-CRT display is to disable v-sync (unless they support a higher refresh rate) and, even then, those displays aren't fast enough to even handle 60 fps properly in the first place. :D

Also, 60 hz + v-sync on a CRT produces the smoothest possible image. Anything higher actually adds a bit of blurring (most people would never notice it, though).

Seriously. :p

Haunted

Lostconfused said:
You can always just rent it if you own a console while you wait for the pc version.
I'm sure I'll play a little bit of it at a friend's place, but I'd like the best possible experience when I really delve into the game.

deepbrown

BobsRevenge said:

Wut? There's just as many PS3 games with AA as 360 ones.

deepbrown

Nuclear Muffin said:
DMC 4 is actually better on PS3, better ice and other shading effects (especially with Berial) plus 60FPS cutscenes (Compared to 30FPS on 360) The 360 version does have very slightly better AA but that doesn't make up for the loss of effects. Same framerate on both (Including the slowdown in the jungle stages)

GTA4 is also very noticabally better on 360, better framerate and clearer graphics.

Then again, Mirror's Edge is supposedly leading on PS3 so it should likely be the better version of the two if anything.

Laughs at all previewers and reviewers saying it was better on the PS3, until B3d said what the PS3 resolution was. Then everybody followed suit. Eejits. lol

DCharlie said:

You lose advertising synergy and often overall hype fades by the time the game releases on the other platforms. I'd say often sales are lost. But if the big fat hat-of-cash makes up for it, no big deal.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Well, this is certainly interesting news.
Another tiny nudge... I'm closer to buying a Playstation than ever.

CoG

deepbrown said:
Laughs at all previewers and reviewers saying it was better on the PS3, until B3d said what the PS3 resolution was. Then everybody followed suit. Eejits. lol

Or laughs at all the people who think resolution matters over gut reaction.

NameIess

If this title is a timed exclusive for the PS3 they just put more scrutiny on their game...
Everyone knows a PS3 release is put under the microscope and nitpicked to death.
I already started to see different impressions of the title stating it does not look as impressive. :lol:

SolidSnakex said:

I just want to play the game on the system most of my buddies have. Achievements and a well integrated dashboard system add to that sentiment.

Ramenman

Also my fall wishlist gets narrowed a bit, which is for the better. I hoped for Mirror's Edge to suck because I probably couldn't play it before long, now it can be good again :D

pringles

what is this shit.. my most anticipated title of the year.. when will it be released on 360?
I can afford to buy a PS3 but I know if I do I'll buy MGS4, Uncharted and a couple other games as well as ME and I just don't have the time to play all them games.
As weird as it sounds, yes that is my main reason for not buying a PS3.
I have enough trouble keeping up with all the games I want to play for Wii and 360.

Private Hoffman said:
...this isn't a multiplayer game.
It has multiplayer, we haven't heard about it yet.
MercuryLS said:
So this is timed exclusive to PS3 for how long?
We don't know. Assuming this is all true, I'd ballpark it around the end of Q1 2009 so it makes the fiscal year or gets EA off to a good start.
2u6imvs.png

Haunted

So, has this been confirmed or not? Blim says yes, dice says no. There's no additional source other than the initial interview, what's going on?

I just want to know whether I can cross this from my fall shopping list or not.

Quazar

Haunted said:
So, has this been confirmed or not? Blim says yes, dice says no. There's no additional source other than the initial interview, what's going on?

Exactly what I want to know. :lol

What the hell are people so excited about this game for? I predict the hype will run out when people realize they just burned $60 on a six hour long obstacle course.

Xater

Haunted said:

It's totally disappointing no site is picking this up so we can get a quick response.

Quazar

Confidence Man said:
What the hell are people so excited about this game for? I predict the hype will run out when people realize they just burned $60 on a six hour long obstacle course.

This years Assassins Creed?

Dever

Banned
Confidence Man said:

Agreed, they should've made another brown shooter like Bad Company instead. You know, a game for real gamers.

Rolf NB

Confidence Man said:
It has begun!

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Confidence Man said:

It's different :lol I don't think it should be knocked for that. I've always seen these as some avant garde like game. I also don't think that EA has positioned this game properly given that it is coming out in a few months. It seems like other games of theirs like Dead Space has gotten more publicity for the Christmas season. This is a game where I think it is safe to worry about the financial viability for it, especially on one platform. Granted, you can say that about almost all games but this is pretty curious decision making if true.

Top Bottom