• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mods should remove enemies (spiders) to be more accessible (hand over mouth laughing)

cormack12

Gold Member
Cached link: source

A8xQ5s.jpg

UygNHL.jpg

tSRNPa.jpg

wDYx38.jpg

Help me, I'm oppressed!!! I need to be catered to as well.......meanwhile

Kadayi

Banned
I can't say I'm a fan but some people really freak out about spiders. IIRC Richard Corbett (some UK game reviewer) has a phobia about them. I remember him writing a piece on it years ago for either PCGamer or RPS or some such about how he couldn't play games with spiders in them.

The other day I was on Teams and one of the guys I work with freaked out because a spider ran across his desk and he bludgeoned it to death with a book...:messenger_dizzy:

It's like FFS dude..capture it with a glass and a piece of cardboard and then empty it out the window...

Never understand people killing spiders (unless they're like man eating monstrosities from Australia or some such) ....harden the fuck up

Last edited:
I fucking hate spiders - in real life and in games. The way they scuttled around at lightning speed in the Witcher 3 really creeped me out.
I wouldnt take them out of games enitrely though. Fear can be fun.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I knew it was going to be Kotaku :p
Fuck this shit. Somewhere someone is afraid of thing thing or that thing. Lets not make any movie, game or anything at all- lest someone be offended.
Fuck this retards (gasp!)

Neff

I have a fear of deep water yet I love to explore deep oceans in video games.

I'm exactly the same. Terrified of them. You literally couldn't get me on a boat without sedating me.

Underwater shit in games, movies and books is my jam, because it's scary. I love being scared, so long as my fear is packaged in a purely hypothetical entertainment form without consequences which directly affect me. The difference between people who enjoy taking a daring peek under the bed once in a while and those who seek attention by wearing their phobias on their sleeves while demanding the world around them placate their tantrums is that the former are well-adjusted and take ghoulish pleasure in their aversions, the latter do not.

It could be just an option to check in game preference, like Blood in some game, (Spiders On/off, on by default), but where do we stop ?

We stop being entitled children addicted to being virtually patted on the back by our fellow spineless pussies for pretending to be oppressed, ideally.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
i had an ex who would literall run out of the fucking room in hysterics if a game she was playing had a fucking spider in it.. done my head right in, i mean c'mon ffs we ain't living in austrailia where every fucking breathable thing is trying to kill you, the biggest spider we got was the size of your thumb nail and as bout as harmless as a fucking hamster

Kupfer

I am terribly afraid of jumpscares. there should be mods for every game announcing jumpscares, lower the volume in the moment and put a soft filter on the picture.
Honestly, deal with it or don't play what doesn't suit you.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Great idea, Kotaku! "Don't like it? Then mod it" is excellent advice. If only this logic would sink a bit deeper and we'd stop getting ridiculous articles from your blog site about how a dev is transphobic because it included a male/female selection in the character creator.

Saruhashi

Banned
It's kind of shitty for them to talk about this stuff when things like color blind modes, different text sizes and special controllers (and button mapping options) are still not standard requirements in the industry.

The article sounds like it was started as a joke but then the author has been like "actually this is a real issue" and has tried to make it should like a legitimate problem.

Also I don't really get the flippant dismissal of exposure therapy. If it's recommended by health care professionals then isn't it better to treat your condition than to demand that the world change for you because you cant be arsed to treat the problem yourself?

I don't think this is really an accessibility problem but trust Kotaku to trivialise real questions of accessibility for the sake of some clickbait.

A few years ago, on my way to work, I saw a spider crawling up my jacket sleeve. Forgetting that my phone was in the pocket, I tore my jacket off, causing the phone to land screen-first on the subway platform. Once, four minutes into a first date, I spotted a spider on the other side of the booth, leapt out of my seat, hit my knee on the table, and spilled both of our drinks everywhere. In fact, just last night, at my gym—don’t worry, it’s in the basement of my apartment building, and I always wear a mask—I saw a spider on the ceiling and let go of my weight mid-rep. Whoops!
Thank god he was wearing a mask!
Sounds pretty serious though, does he know you can treat phobias?
One can reasonably suggest that video games with eight-legged enemies, like Torchlight III, are a form of such exposure therapy. One can also bug right off.
Oh OK.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I had to mod spiders out of Skyrim and Legend of Grimrock. So yeah mods should definitely do that.

DelireMan7

I have a fear of deep water yet I love to explore deep oceans in video games.

I have arachnophobia but spider in games don't disturb me (since they are not realistic usually).

However, the fear of deep/underwater gave me real trouble in old games (Half-Life, Jedi Knight..) Now it's better but I am always a bit scared when I have to go underwater in games.
I still stay away of all full underwater games even if some kind of fascinate me.

Roni

Gold Member
I have arachnophobia but spider in games don't disturb me (since they are not realistic usually).

However, the fear of deep/underwater gave me real trouble in old games (Half-Life, Jedi Knight..) Now it's better but I am always a bit scared when I have to go underwater in games.
I still stay away of all full underwater games even if some kind of fascinate me.
Don't play Subnautica.

Tschumi

I don't think it's fair play to be paying out hyper sensitive arachnophobic people...

... But as a mild arachnophobe who has no problem with spiders in games, i find it hard to relate to this dude.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
This is reminding me of all of the Reeeera topics about mods to remove Mr. X or Nemesis from Resident Evil titles. I don't honestly get people sometimes. The big scary spider isn't real. I'm terrified of drowning, I don't petition to have lakes removed from video games.

DelireMan7

Don't play Subnautica.
Haha don't worry about that ;).

I was always fascinated but scared by the deeps. So when I heard about this game, I was tempted to play it but at the same time really scared. My fear is still the winner for the moment xD

Burger

Yeah I don't like spiders either but I don't need fucking safe spaces for videogames. I'd just rather my home be spider free.

Airola

I have a fear of death. I don't think games should have death depicted in them in any way or form. The developers who don't address this issue and fix it ASAP are insensitive and unempathetic pieces of shit who need to get booted off from their job!

Last edited:

ZZZZ

I have arachnophobia, but spiders in games have never bothered me.
Did you play Metro Exodus with head phones?
I almost had a breakdown, i never had any problems with spiders in games before.
I had to mute the game anytime a spider was about to show up on the screen.
Devs shouldn't need to cater to my phobia though, always try to make the best game possible.

Mate how is arachnophobia real haha just walk away from the spider haha smh my head.
One spider laid eggs on the window close to my bed,i woke up and there were like 10 spiders walking around me, i almost fainted.

I have been bitten once while i was asleep as well, it fucking sucks.

ZehDon

Gold Member
In The Last of Us 2, one of the main characters is tastelessly murdered with a gold club. In Resident Evil 7, you have your hand cut off in graphic detail - with the added impact of VR to boot. In Outlast 2, genital mutilation is on the table. But yes, spiders are an accessibility problem.

This feels like someone read those "I HATE spiders in Skyrim!" posts, and decided to take it to the ultimate extreme.

Top Bottom