• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mods should remove enemies (spiders) to be more accessible (hand over mouth laughing)

Stuart360

Did you play Metro Exodus with head phones?
I almost had a breakdown, i never had any problems with spiders in games before.
I had to mute the game anytime a spider was about to show up on the screen.
Devs shouldn't need to cater to my phobia though, always try to make the best game possible.
I think its because i know spiders in game and movies cant get to me, cant get in my room lol, it doesnt really bother me. Its like if i see one outside, i can force myself to go up to them, but inside my flat?, kill it with fire!.

notseqi

I almost had a breakdown, i never had any problems with spiders in games before.
Devs shouldn't need to cater to my phobia though, always try to make the best game possible.

One spider laid eggs on the window close to my bed,i woke up and there were like 10 spiders walking around me, i almost fainted.

I have been bitten once while i was asleep as well, it fucking sucks.
Great name for when your emotes show up under somebodies post.

Petition to remove Spider-Man from the Spider-Man games. Please sign, I can't stand spiders. Thanks. /s

What a joke, seriously. At this point I genuinely think they are doing this for the clicks... this can't be serious.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I only have one word for whoever wrote that article:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It makes me laugh, because I don't have any kind of phobia. But I know some who do, so I understand the feeling. But instead, make it a choice instead of forcing it on all users.

CrysisFreak

Banned

One spider laid eggs on the window close to my bed,i woke up and there were like 10 spiders walking around me, i almost fainted.

Man up. You sensitive millennial snowflakes don't know true horror, like back in my day when I fought in Stalingrad. Meanwhile you're afraid of a spider?
Fuck outta here smh my head.

Neff

I have a fear of death. I don't think games should have death depicted in them in any way or form. The developers who don't address this issue and fix it ASAP are insensitive and unempathetic pieces of shit who need to get booted off from their job!

Thankfully Mario doesn't have lives anymore for this reason. Now we can all game safely without fear of being reminded of our toxic mortality.

Airola

Thankfully Mario doesn't have lives anymore for this reason. Now we can all game safely without fear of being reminded of our toxic mortality.

Removing lives is not enough. Mario can still fall into pits and run out of energy by touching too many enemies. In fact the concept of "enemies" is troubling too. They should be all friendly creatures that pose no life threatening harm.

Is this a trend? I saw someone bitching about spiders in genshin impact in another site. Funny thing is, game doesn't even have spiders LOL

Faithless83

Banned
Cached link: source

A8xQ5s.jpg

UygNHL.jpg

tSRNPa.jpg

wDYx38.jpg

Help me, I'm oppressed!!! I need to be catered to as well.......meanwhile

13Qe.gif

Soon we'll have "Soulsborne without enemies/GOD mode" accessibility option.
I blame walking simulators, those games made people soft. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

"Bring cheat codes back!!!"
I think MTX should have "invincibility mode" for these people.
A lot of money to be made with the "journalists" alone.

DogofWar

These are probably the same kind of people that will still demand their food to be "without x, because you know I don't like x!!!" when they are adults.

People are too fucking sensitive nowadays.

Last edited:
I have arachnophobia, but spiders in games have never bothered me.
I've conquered that fear in real life, my dude. I've had a traumatizing experience when I was a kid with the infamous Brazilian Wandering Spider (known as Armadeira). I was alone, 7-year-old me was actively persecuted by it in the yard. That thing is a nasty and aggressive one. She made me run like a motherfucker and I got lucky by using a yard chair to defend myself. This made me so paranoid about spiders for a good decade or so. I just got over it by owning small jumping spiders as pets that you can find anywhere, then I learned to not fear and react accordingly depending on the type of spider. I kill brown recluses on sight and got the chance of killing a Brazilian Wandering one on the pool deck. Fuck that bitch.

I hope you can get over it one day. One less thing to fear in this world!

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

Just think of all the times spiders crawled into you nose and mouth while you sleeping.

Fbh

Kotaku really seems to have some of the frailest people on the earth. Between their multiple mental health issues, overweight problems, race paranoia, SJW struggles, gender issues and now crippling phobias, you have a bunch of people who sit around and write about games for a living and yet seem to struggle more to get through a day than someone in a warzone.

Last edited:

lpking2005

Neo Member
Ive been thinking the exact same thing for years! I also have a massive phobia of spiders.

Its more a problem if they resemble anything real and i struggle to get past that point in a game, especially if they are giant spiders.
For example, i got to the big spider in Bloodborne and was like.... NOPE!, turned the game off and never played it since.

If only there was maybe a way to skip these sections or maybe always an alternative route you could take.

Those who can not relate to the issue will always take the piss but it is a very real problem.

PhoenixTank

Very related:
I like how it got handled here for Grounded.
I think this all could be applicable to other games.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I can only guess how awesome the discovery of Frostbite-Spiders in Skyrim must have been for some people.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
Imagine being so weak and frail that the idea of someone removing an enemy from a game makes you upset. Now that's some weak shit. Who cares if people want to remove something from a game? That's fine and doesn't impact you at all, grow up. There are better ways to support what shred of masculinity you have than "Dunking" On people you don't know who don't like spiders.

iconmaster

Banned
I guess it's difficult for me to sympathize, not having the phobia myself. I see most spiders as friends, taking care of the real pests. I don't even sweep away their webs indoors unless they get obnoxious.

Barnabot

I saw a Vice mention in that article.

And I don't like the power of friendship, Kotaku and Vice. Try modding that.

MiguelItUp

"I want things to go THIS way, because that's how I want it!"

Welp, sorry, that's not how life works. I hope this person has to play a great game where you see the biggest, hairiest, and grossest spiders. A large abundance of them.

I thought it was cute that Grounded allowed the user to disguise the spiders, but maybe doing that opened some expectation from a bunch of wussies upset about video game graphics. I just don't understand people being affected by something they see in a video game...

...It's a video game... It's not real...

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
Imagine being so weak and frail that the idea of someone removing an enemy from a game makes you upset. Now that's some weak shit. Who cares if people want to remove something from a game? That's fine and doesn't impact you at all, grow up. There are better ways to support what shred of masculinity you have than "Dunking" On people you don't know who don't like spiders.

Sarcasm?

If not then it sounds like someone has a case of Gelotophobia.

"Games Should Have An Option To Turn Off NPC Laughter."

What's the criteria for a phobia to be considered important enough to be accommodated by game developers?

Don't play games with spiders.

I have a strong aversion to broken bones and gore in films, so I just don't watch any films with those things. Its quite nice.

Andodalf

Banned
Sarcasm?

If not then it sounds like someone has a case of Gelotophobia.

"Games Should Have An Option To Turn Off NPC Laughter."

What's the criteria for a phobia to be considered important enough to be accommodated by game developers?

Literally anything. If the Devs want to do it, that's fine. If People want to ask for it, that's fine. I fail to see any problems with either of these things? How does this hurt anyone?

Saruhashi

Banned
Literally anything. If the Devs want to do it, that's fine. If People want to ask for it, that's fine. I fail to see any problems with either of these things? How does this hurt anyone?

Why does it have to be framed as "hurting" anyone?

I don't particularly think developers should need to jump through a series of hoops before they can get down to making their game.

Game has spiders in it?
Better code in options for the people who fear spiders.

Uh, we have about 50 phobias here we need to account for before the game can be released.

I'd personally prefer to see devs working on actual accessibility issues.

Arachnophobia can be treated. So maybe these folks should go get treated.

If I can't play a game because I have a treatable condition should I demand that developers change the game or, and here is a fucking wild suggestion, should I go and get treated?

"Waaaaahhhh masculinity blah blah blah it doesn't hurt anyone reeeee!"

Don't play games with spiders.

Easier said than done. They put them in every game!

There’s only one game I’ve had to quit because of this though: Until Dawn Rush of Blood (the VR rail shooter game). There’s one level that got a bit too intense on the spidey department and suddenly I had to violently grab the headset off my head and I never touched the game again.

Developers should get a list of individual demands from journalists to make an approved game.

TO..BE...ACCESSIBLE.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I'm arachnophobic and I do get a reaction from spiders in games. However it doesn't stop me from playing at all and definitely wouldn't even think of asking them to be removed just to suit my tastes.

Saruhashi

Banned
Do you not want accessibility, the holy grail of all gaming?

Haha.
Yes.

I can't wait for the games of the future where every game is perfectly accessible and beatable and inoffensive to everyone on the planet.

Kotaku in 2050: Why Can't Videogames Just Exist Only In My Imagination?

Why go to all the trouble of buying a game and playing it when I could just imagine a game and then stop imagining whenever I feel like it. Urgh. Why do I have to deal with bullshit like the developers vision and gameplay and problematic narratives when I could just think of my own game inside my head!?

WakeTheWolf

Let's perhaps not give every stupid twat a soapbox. I mean, this is non-news. Why is this being shared? Who even is this person?

Aidah

I wonder how much softer people will get in another 10 years. Pussification only leads to further pussification.

How can a man use terms like "safe space" in this kind of context and not feel like an absolute pussy.

Top Bottom