• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite Thread

kruskev

AgentOtaku said:
Yep, it indeed incredible

About to hit Rank 3 finally. Landshark battle was epic and I know I'm only just getting started :D

I must warn you of Plesioth, took him down an hour ago and it took like 3 hours.

bigswords

FootNinja said:
Didn't go too well? What monsters do you have access to?

I finally killed him with my great sword, just need patience. Chop and roll, chop and roll, when he weaken I ran up and did the infinte combo. He ran back to his place and while he slept I did a full charge on my GS and killed him , the final blow!

Ohh dear I think the gathering hall version of him is still a bitch though.

Edit: I know I'm a sturborn idiot, the sns and LS are much better choices. But i just love the GS.

bigswords said:
Edit: I know I'm a sturborn idiot, the sns and LS are much better choices. But i just love the GS.

Not at all, it takes skill and patience to use the GS especially as you get further in.

I use LS and GS in equal amounts but now the hammer is catching up fast, nothing quite like knocking a Tigrex out with a well timed triple pound.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man...grinded all day for Firestones and FireWyvern Fluid so I could make a decent fire LS and Hammer, just so I could break Blangonga fangs so I could make a decent ice LS. And I'm STILL short one Blangonga fang. >_<

Grind grind grind. Well, at least I managed to get up to the next Elder rank. So I did something productive I suppose.

bigswords said:
Ok I need help with Bangolala HR1, weapon wise I'm ok. But armor wise can someone recommend me a armor that can withstand more then 3 hits from him? I'm using a full Kut Ku armor.

Garuga is alright. Get the mask for the earplugs, try to get it up to high-grade and wonder what you ever did without it.

Ceanatuar isn't a bad armor set with Sharp sword and sharpen sword. You'll have to deal with the -20def but you can gem that out, no problem and be left with enough slots to gem in a skill with +2 gems (Like auto-tracker). Hermituar also ain't a bad set, you won't get a lot out of the guard+1, but you do guard once in awhile with GS and that little less push back/hp lose can make or break you. It also has +throwing and +def skills but comes with -thunder element, however, it shouldn't be a problem unless you wanna run into Khezu or Kirin.

After that, you'll likely grind out the Rathalos Soul set from Azure Rathalos. It'll give you High grade, expert and -hp, fully gemmed. You can take out the -hp skill but you need to give up some expert to do it, so you'll have to decide on more damage or a few extra points of hp. That should hold you till high rank quests.

bigswords

sotodefonk said:
I just noticed :lol .... when you say bangolala... do you refer to congalala or blangonga? two very different species...

The tougher (blangonga) in the snowy mountains. The pink jungle version is a cakewalk compared to this one.

I have tried getting into this game, like 3 times.

The latest time, I am determined. Unfortunately, it's ridiculous! I'm picking the easiest quests, pick berries (can't find all the berry locations and die to a stupid boar thing anyway), kill an easy monster (gigadrome? something like that, a bigger raptor) - NOPE, die.

I must have hit the gigadrome 100 times. Marked him with a paintball so I know I was hitting the right one.

Damn, man. This game tries hard to keep newbies away...

Luigiv

Yay, My PSP 3000 with MHFU finally arrived! Unfortunately I'm currently at Uni, so I'll need to wait until I get home to unbox it :(.
Not that it really matters given the memory stick is still on it's way.

Edit: Unboxed and useless :D!

Image007.jpg

Hurry up memory stick, there are monsters to be hunted!

TheMissingLink said:

The latest time, I am determined. Unfortunately, it's ridiculous! I'm picking the easiest quests, pick berries (can't find all the berry locations and die to a stupid boar thing anyway), kill an easy monster (gigadrome? something like that, a bigger raptor) - NOPE, die.

I must have hit the gigadrome 100 times. Marked him with a paintball so I know I was hitting the right one.

I bought Unite a few months ago and while I wasn't disliking doing tutorials and hunting my first monster, it just seemed like I'd have to put in a lot of work in order to get any value out of it so I sold the game. I'm now eyeing it off on PSN since it's on special. Only 1 day left to decide or it'll be back to full price :-(

Gokurakumaru said:
I bought Unite a few months ago and while I wasn't disliking doing tutorials and hunting my first monster, it just seemed like I'd have to put in a lot of work in order to get any value out of it so I sold the game. I'm now eyeing it off on PSN since it's on special. Only 1 day left to decide or it'll be back to full price :-(

Honestly do it. And when you do, forgo the training all together and head straight to the elder to start quests.
What other issues are you having with it?

For me personally, it took about 3-4 hours to really get into the flow of things IE: gathering, hunting, combat mechanics/timing, etc.

AgentOtaku said:
Honestly do it. And when you do, forgo the training all together and head straight to the elder to start quests.
What other issues are you having with it?

For me personally, it took about 3-4 hours to really get into the flow of things IE: gathering, hunting, combat mechanics/timing, etc.

No issues. I just have gaming ADD and am wary that I might buy it, get daunted by how much there is to do, end up choosing to do nothing as a result and then find myself playing something else entirely. It happened last time :lol

To put this in context I generally get tired of games by the 20 hour mark if not before. Would I have accomplished something appreciable in Monster Hunter by that point or would I still be HR1 pottering around knocking lizards on the head?

Understandable as I'm the exact same way with ADD.
The great thing about MH (once you get the mechanics/flow down) is that it totally lends itself to pickup n' play/ADD play if you want it too.
I don't play it for hours at a time. More 20 minutes here, 15 there. Usually like once or twice a day. Just hit Rank 3 today actually.

So yeah, it's totally what you want to put into it. Add the fact that there isn't any real plot (which may be a deterrent for some, I know it was for me at first), so you don't feel obligated in anyway to keep fresh for fear of getting lost. You can play it and then put it down for a month and come back.

To be honest, I think you'd better focus on getting to G before wasting time and resources on that skill so early (if it is even obtainable already, I don't even know).
You could get to G in like one or 2 evenings from where you are now.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
So I finally got my ps3 back, and If I'm not mistaken all I have to do is create a japanese ps3 account, and download a monster hunter ad hoc add on? and then I will be able to hunt with you guys?

edit- i NEED a wired connection? ugh

SonOfABeep said:
What exactly is involved in playing this game online?

PS3 connected to internet through wired connection, using Adhoc Party acts as a tunneling server allowing you to connect with anyone also connected to Adhoc Party in the same way. You jump into 4/8 person rooms, can text chat or voice chat and launch into games from there. More info: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366131&highlight=adhoc

Phantasy Star Portable 2 is coming to PSP with online built in, so maybe the pressure will be on Capcom to do the same for Monster Hunter Portable 3. Until then, those lucky enough to be a part of the PS3+PSP family can do so anyway. Also, theres another way using wifi dongles and routers and X-Link Kai on PC that is a lot more complicated.

Luigiv

FootNinja said:
edit- i NEED a wired connection? ugh
Yeah that part annoys me too. It's just not practical for me to run a cable from the router down the stairs and across the living room to the PS3 in the entertainment room, every time I want to play online. So now the approach I'm planning to take is to convince my friends to get MHFU :D.

Finally got back into the groove, I was having a shocking couple of days with MHU for some reason I was having a problem with all the monsters and was getting frustrated, but back into it now with farming Silver Rathalos for rubies.

Next stop Akantor with a hammer.

Luigiv said:
Yeah that part annoys me too. It's just not practical for me to run a cable from the router down the stairs and across the living room to the PS3 in the entertainment room, every time I want to play online

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Don't wanna run a big ass CAT5 around the house from my router. Guess I'll wait for MH3 in that regard.
Also, didn't know about PSO2 having online built-in! Certainly makes me a bit more interested.

Shin_Kojima said:
To be honest, I think you'd better focus on getting to G before wasting time and resources on that skill so early (if it is even obtainable already, I don't even know).

yeah I havent seen the skill yet on current armors.

G rank is hr7 right? Im hr6 right now... time to get up the rank a bit

Shin_Kojima said:

If he was a blademaster I'd say yes, but as a gunner he'll get a lot more use out of it, still not really needed till Fatalis and up, so it's more of a "Just in case" skill.

AgentOtaku said:
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Don't wanna run a big ass CAT5 around the house from my router. Guess I'll wait for MH3 in that regard.
Also, didn't know about PSO2 having online built-in! Certainly makes me a bit more interested.

That's the problem with Ad-hoc party, but you can get around that by plugging it into a laptop or computer and have that on wireless.

THanks for the advice - I use my PS3 on wired anyway - Is there a server browser or do you need to type in people's names specifically?

SonOfABeep said:
THanks for the advice - I use my PS3 on wired anyway - Is there a server browser or do you need to type in people's names specifically?

Its a japanese app, and you go to Lobbies and make rooms in there. Its all very cute and well made, a youtube video online will show you the basics. You can password a room to make it private and so forth. For instance GAF people like to meet in World J Lobby 2, then someone will erect a house on that patch with a title like GAF HUNTZ.

Tried a bit of hunting today, after failing the HR4 rank-up Lao-Shan Lung quest twice, I have lost interest in the game again, because man that was fucking tedious shit only to fail.

demigod

bigswords said:
Ok I need help with Bangolala HR1, weapon wise I'm ok. But armor wise can someone recommend me a armor that can withstand more then 3 hits from him? I'm using a full Kut Ku armor.

lol, wait until you meat dual SSJ monkies.

SecretBonusPoint said:
Tried a bit of hunting today, after failing the HR4 rank-up Lao-Shan Lung quest twice, I have lost interest in the game again, because man that was fucking tedious shit only to fail.

What weapon and armor are you using? What is your strat? First time I passed I had to bomb the eff outta him in the elder quest. I did eventually kill him to upgrade my longsword.

I've been working on my armor so I didn't finish HR3 yet. I beat the special training with all weapons and got my saint sword piercing. What a pain that training was. I really hate the horn and boy do I suck with the hammer. I love the bow and gun now, I guess playing Longsword all my life has raised my dodging skill. +10 fencing is just godly for me. I don't know how many times I've been dazed and then knocked the eff out because my attack bounced off the enemy before.

I'm working on my Felyne now, trying to quest/zone to get a different scrapper felyne. I really don't like the name Emmanuelle. I got a Ryu for my Peace-loving cat.

SCEA needs to hurryup and release ad-hoc party for NA.

Luigiv

tiltnkirby said:
That's the problem with Ad-hoc party, but you can get around that by plugging it into a laptop or computer and have that on wireless.
Please, do elaborate. That would actually work very well for me.

Took down Khezu today on my lunch break (Took about 35 minutes). Started last night with 3 different tries. Eventually realized my Long Sword wasn't cutting it (lol). Switched back to SnS and was able to move fast enough and cut through his hard defense.

SO AWESOME! :D

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
AgentOtaku said:
Took down Khezu today on my lunch break (Took about 35 minutes). Started last night with 3 different tries. Eventually realized my Long Sword wasn't cutting it (lol). Switched back to SnS and was able to move fast enough and cut through his hard defense.

SO AWESOME! :D

Congrats! I remember how awesome it felt the first time I took down Khezu.

Wait, no, not awesome...shameful...I HBG'd him from the area 3 invincible ledge...;_;

Luigiv

Final Got started with this game. Managed to scab a 32MB Memory Stick Duo off a friend while I wait for my 8GB to arrive :lol. Beat all the 1* elder quests, now to move on to 2* :D.

Luigiv

sotodefonk said:
is there a way to turn off only the music of bosses in MH? I would like to put some MP3 but without removing the sound effects....
1. Go to options.
2. Turn "BGM Level" all the way down
3. ...
4. Profit!

TheMissingLink said:

I think I've figured out your problem, You've gone straight into the Guild quests, haven't you? Guild quests are meant to be for multiplayer and assume you have some experience, so they're set up a bit harder and forgo all the absolute beginner level quests. What you need to do is is go through all the beginner training in the training hall, then start doing the elder quests (Given to you by the village chief outside of the gathering hall). The elder quests are actually meant for singleplayer, so they have a more sensible difficulty curve and the rewards and loot you get will let you upgrade your weapons and armor a little bit before you start getting to the harder quests (I assume you know that there's already armor and weapons in the storage box in your house). Also you'll be able to employ a Felyne comrade just before the Giadrome fight, which makes it much, much easier (also try using one of the larger weapons against him, so you'll be able to defeat him in about 15-20 strikes).

Out of the 3 MH games I've tried so far (MH1, MH2 and MHFU), FU is definitely the most accessible to beginners.

Luigiv

sotodefonk said:
I just checked it only shows sound settings, and I can only change between boost, DLP II and stereo :S
Weird. What release are you playing? Because I double checked before posting that.

Edit: Figured it out, slight modification

1. Go to title screen
2. Go to options
3. Turn "BGM Level" all the way down
4. ...
5. Profit!

Luigiv said:
Weird. What release are you playing? Because I double checked before posting that.

I have USA version but I re-checked and in the main option menu, there is the option. I dont know why on ingame options it doesnt show up...

Thanks for the info

EDIT: :lol you edited at the same time I posted

Luigiv

sotodefonk said:
I have USA version but I re-checked and in the main option menu, there is the option. I dont know why on ingame options it doesnt show up...

Thanks for the info

EDIT: :lol you edited at the same time I posted
Yeah, that was total class :lol.

bigdaddygamebot said:
Alright lads. Any tips for Chameleos?

I'm going at him with full death stench armor and a posionous gunlance.

Use a fire DS and attack his back legs along with use mega juices. If you don't want to use DS then take something with fire at least. Get some energy drinks if you get hit with fatigue and being filler items so nothing important gets stolen.

With the fight, people will tell you to bring sonic bombs to stun him. The only time this will work is when he unclocks for a second to attack you, I don't know if it's any attack, but I do know it'll work on his tongue attacks, you really gotta be waiting for them and know where he's positioned, so for a first time, hell even 4-5th time, it's not really worth it. And if you're happy chopping up his hind legs to make him fall, then that whole stunning thing is just a waste of time.

One of the most important things to do in this fight is to remember where he is at all times, this includes keeping a paintball on him in case he leaves. Since you're killing an invisible monster and he'll be moving to the sides a lot of the time to try and attack you, you'll have to keep a mental image of where he is currently standing.

Other then that, normal hunting rules apply, don't stay in front of him for too long and don't get greedy with attacks.

TheMissingLink said:

Did you do the training missions? Did you try different weapons? Are you taking the Elder quests or the Guild Hall quests?

If you're having troubles finding gathering spots, look up the gather points on gamefaqs, if they don't have the area you are looking for in the Freedom Unite page, try the Freedom 2 page instead.

As for fighting the dromes, you'll need to take some time and watch him. Depending on your weapon, take it easy and only go in for a few attacks and back off. Also, I guess it wouldn't hurt to say this, learn to roll out of your attacks to reduce the amount of recovery needed, it'll be tough but you'll get it.

Luigiv said:
Please, do elaborate. That would actually work very well for me.
I don't really have much to say. All I know is the ps3 wants to be wired to something for ad-hoc party to work so having to go through a laptop or computer would make it happy. The whole stuff with the computer is unknown to me, you'll have to mess around with it or search for an answer. It's all I got

demigod

tiltnkirby said:
With the fight, people will tell you to bring sonic bombs to stun him. The only time this will work is when he unclocks for a second to attack you, I don't know if it's any attack, but I do know it'll work on his tongue attacks, you really gotta be waiting for them and know where he's positioned, so for a first time, hell even 4-5th time, it's not really worth it. And if you're happy chopping up his hind legs to make him fall, then that whole stunning thing is just a waste of time.

Sonic bombs are definitely worth bringing. You don't use it to stun him whoever told you that, you use it so he reveals himself for a certain period of time.

Damn, wish I knew about the Freedom 2 raw meat download and importing it to Unite. I hate having to farm for them.

Luigiv

tiltnkirby said:
I don't really have much to say. All I know is the ps3 wants to be wired to something for ad-hoc party to work so having to go through a laptop or computer would make it happy. The whole stuff with the computer is unknown to me, you'll have to mess around with it or search for an answer. It's all I got
:( Guess I'll have to figure out how to set it up myself.

Just played ad-hoc party with a couple of friends. Two things:

1) Now I see why Monster Hunter can be so fun!
2) How has SCEA not officially released an English version for NA? Especially with the PSP Go and new PS3 Slim...

demigod said:
Sonic bombs are definitely worth bringing. You don't use it to stun him whoever told you that, you use it so he reveals himself for a certain period of time.

Damn, wish I knew about the Freedom 2 raw meat download and importing it to Unite. I hate having to farm for them.

Yea, he gets stunned for a second or two, and in that time he's revealed.

If you really want to see him, being some dung bombs.

Luigiv said:
:( Guess I'll have to figure out how to set it up myself.

I guess you have to connect your laptop with wireless, and bridge you wireless connection with your LAN port. Then with a network crossover cable connect your laptop to your PS3, and the PS3 should get internet.

Wow...in the history of getting raped by dragons, no one has been raped harder and faster than I did the first time I met Chameleos.

o_O

It was just...it was horrible. I think I need counselling.

bigdaddygamebot said:
Wow...in the history of getting raped by dragons, no one has been raped harder and faster than I did the first time I met Chameleos.

o_O

It was just...it was horrible. I think I need counselling.

:lol

When I first fight him, I was more annoying to the fact that he STOLE my fuckin' mega potions, traps, and all other stuff....

Of course I lost, and all my items were gone :lol

And I still havent fought it after making him flee one time... It didnt show up on nekoth's quests, dont know why :s

Luigiv

sotodefonk said:
I guess you have to connect your laptop with wireless, and bridge you wireless connection with your LAN port. Then with a network crossover cable connect your laptop to your PS3, and the PS3 should get internet.
Yeah I had a quick look on google yesterday and that's the solution I found. Still yet to try it out, but I'll let you guys know if it works.

Edit: Ok just tried it out. I got it working with "network bridging" on my sisters' Windows laptop but I can't figure out how to get it to work with "internet sharing" on my Macbook.

Top Bottom