• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite Thread

oracrest

bigdaddygamebot said:
Wow...in the history of getting raped by dragons, no one has been raped harder and faster than I did the first time I met Chameleos.

o_O

It was just...it was horrible. I think I need counselling.

An auto tracking armor like TigrexS is good with Chameleos. You can at least gauge where he is with the little dot on the map.

Hadnt really looked for help online, I only played with a friend so we always take some time to kill monsters.

But yesterday, I entered and ask for help to rank up from 6 to 7 and then started G quests... And omg at how fast we killed those poor monsters :lol I mean, like less than 5 min with each one.... hr6 urgents: shen gaoren, akantor, 2 hypnos, and some hr7 quests: 2 purple gyp, khezu, plesi, and plum d hermitaur.... It was like we all raged at the poor bastarts and they just kept falling and falling... they went down so fast :lol

If any of the players here in neogaf was helping me, thanks a lot :lol

Now I need to kill a emerald congalala to reach nargacugas... I want to upgrade my hiddens weapons and make his armor...

robox

sotodefonk said:
Now I need to kill a emerald congalala to reach nargacugas... I want to upgrade my hiddens weapons and make his armor...

i do too... but so far, after killing almost 20 narugas, i've only upgraded 2 weapons. the limiting factor is the rate that i get black pelt+'s. my drop rate has been close to 1 per quest and you need a ton of them. this game...

r - b - x said:
i do too... but so far, after killing almost 20 narugas, i've only upgraded 2 weapons. the limiting factor is the rate that i get black pelt+'s. my drop rate has been close to 1 per quest and you need a ton of them. this game...

oh, so maybe I focus to get the armor then... I did a lot of narugas to get hidden weapons and armor, and the drop rate of narga brain stem was too low :S So I just did LS and bow, and the helmet :S

One thing I didnt checked, I did a water LS, weiss crecent and expend a lot of mats and money to upgrade it from dark scythe... only to find out that when you reach G rank, the weaponsmith sells a better one in all aspects and it looks like it isnt hard to do :S stupid weaponsmith :lol

EDIT: one thing.... on minegarde page, The sword paths show 2 sharpness bars, one with less than the other... why is that?

http://www.minegarde.com/wip/weapon2.php?w=gs

demigod

Seraphis Cain said:
So...any tips for the dual Plesioth quest? I haaaaaaate fighting Plesioths, and the prospect of fighting two isn't too attractive.

Which one is that, Elder Felyne? Plesioths hit pretty hard. I just wait until they shoot the water at me and then I run in and hit their head twice fast and roll away so their shoulder attack doesn't hit me. Pitfall traps are good too. Either plant it when they shoot that real quick or plant it where they run to before jumping back into the water. If you do really get 2, just zone and wait until one goes away.

sotodefonk said:
oh, so maybe I focus to get the armor then... I did a lot of narugas to get hidden weapons and armor, and the drop rate of narga brain stem was too low :S So I just did LS and bow, and the helmet :S

EDIT: one thing.... on minegarde page, The sword paths show 2 sharpness bars, one with less than the other... why is that?

I'm guessing the 2 sharpness bars are with and without sharpness skill.

Fought my first Nargacuga and caught him, fainted once though. I couldn't predict his moves and his tail even after I cut it off was still deadly. I got the stem from his tail, now I gotta kill him a few more times for Hidden Saber. After I get a Rathalos ruby though, damn you Silver Rathalos for not dropping it!

Those felynes sure are good. I have 5 of them with different abilities to make me food. I love the +health and +large attack for 400 zenny so now I rarely use demondrug. My felyne fighter is pretty good. I gave him paralyze, abnormal status up for paralyze, and shock trap. I'm surprised he paralyzed Kushala Daora.

I can't seem to kill Azure Lao yet, was able to repel him twice. Why the hell is the Maple Longsword so hard to upgrade? It seems like it is behind 1 lvl. I can kill the mobs for Smolder and Maple(just need stupid ruby) yet the Smolder Dragonsword is way better.

oracrest said:
An auto tracking armor like TigrexS is good with Chameleos. You can at least gauge where he is with the little dot on the map.

I was thinking about that but right now, the Death Stench worked fine.

I dusted myself off, regeared and mentally prepared myself for Chameleos Rape-fest Redux and went back in.

I used paint balls when able, and sonic bombs when opportunity presented itself, and I just got really, really aggressive.

Maybe it was due to the fact that I've been grinding on tigrex but Chameleos, despite his invisibility at times is nowhere near as much of a rampaging douche as tigrex or even gypceros and Chameleos seems downright lethargic at times.

Shit gets real when he rages but beyond that, something clicked for me and maybe it was because I had the fencing skill from the death stench armor but my gun lance was absolutely wrecking him.

This game...man...it feels so good when you finally "figure it out". I'm gonna grind that silly dragon until I have a full set of chameleos now...I don't even care what it's stats are. The chameleos breed needs to pay for the damage done the first time I fought one.

:)

robox

bigdaddygamebot said:
This game...man...it feels so good when you finally "figure it out". I'm gonna grind that silly dragon until I have a full set of chameleos now...I don't even care what it's stats are. The chameleos breed needs to pay for the damage done the first time I fought one.

:)

hahaha. congrats. chammy's annoying but not that bad. just walk up to him and wail away, for the most part. the back is safer than the front, but you can find the front with his green mist.

sotodefonk said:
One thing I didnt checked, I did a water LS, weiss crecent and expend a lot of mats and money to upgrade it from dark scythe... only to find out that when you reach G rank, the weaponsmith sells a better one in all aspects and it looks like it isnt hard to do :S stupid weaponsmith

the g weapons are only available after you beat ukanlos. so that could be a ways away. unfortunately, that's the end of the line for your sword. g weapons are where some of your old favourites return with more viable stats. or offer an alternative to normal weapon paths that may be easier to make.

1 sharpness bar is the normal one
the other is for when you have sharpness+1 skill. one of the best attacking skills. purple sharpness gives a big big attack boost.

r - b - x said:
the g weapons are only available after you beat ukanlos. so that could be a ways away. unfortunately, that's the end of the line for your sword. g weapons are where some of your old favourites return with more viable stats. or offer an alternative to normal weapon paths that may be easier to make.

1 sharpness bar is the normal one
the other is for when you have sharpness+1 skill. one of the best attacking skills. purple sharpness gives a big big attack boost.

Thanks for the info... I thought the G weapons were available sooner :S

Another thing... what about those "dummy" weapons? I have seen people online with them but I hadnt saw any at the crafter...

robox

dummy equipment are stuff from the jp version that capcom doesn't have any intention of letting western gamers access normally. because of its popularity, some quests are sponsored by famitsu and dengeki magazines and you get their respective tickets to craft them. and they have famitsu logos on them.

kinda of a shame though... some items are rather neutral. and the best farming armor set, the jolly roger armor is the best set for materials farming. it looks like a pirate's get outfit! it actually had a proper name and description in f2, but the ticket to unlock it (pirate ticket) was dummied out. and in fu, the whole set was dummied out.

r - b - x said:
dummy equipment are stuff from the jp version that capcom doesn't have any intention of letting western gamers access normally. because of its popularity, some quests are sponsored by famitsu and dengeki magazines and you get their respective tickets to craft them. and they have famitsu logos on them.

kinda of a shame though... some items are rather neutral. and the best farming armor set, the jolly roger armor is the best set for materials farming. it looks like a pirate's get outfit! it actually had a proper name and description in f2, but the ticket to unlock it (pirate ticket) was dummied out. and in fu, the whole set was dummied out.

well, today I helped some guys to kill teostra, but the quest had japanese characters and I received 3 dummy mats...

that means we can play with freedom 2g users? also trying to use those "dummy" materials, the crafter make a new armor called "dummy" I guess thats the one you are talking about...

the carving skills looks nice, but the armor def is too low :S I cant kill any G monster without taking high amounts of dmg :lol

Luigiv

Yay! finally beat my first Khezu (despite having played MH1, I never got up to Khezu, since he appears fairly late in the elder quests). Nothing quite like Gunlance shell spamming him to death :D.

Luigiv said:
Yay! finally beat my first Khezu (despite having played MH1, I never got up to Khezu, since he appears fairly late in the elder quests). Nothing quite like Gunlance shell spamming him to death :D.

Also with the gun lance, if you block his area-Blanka-attack once, then you can walk in while he's still blasting it and hit him.

Luigiv

bigdaddygamebot said:
Also with the gun lance, if you block his area-Blanka-attack once, then you can walk in while he's still blasting it and hit him.
Really? I'll keep that in mind when I start grinding it for parts (though I may decide to switch back to long swords if I can get one with good sharpness).

Luigiv said:
Really? I'll keep that in mind when I start grinding it for parts (though I may decide to switch back to long swords if I can get one with good sharpness).

I believe the shield from a regular lance will block it as well.

Not sure about sword and shield.

I force myself into using the GL with every fight so I'm not exactly a renaissance man when it comes to different weapons in Monster Hunter. :)

Khezu was my first full suit. :) You end up looking like a chubby Altair.

oracrest

1253592579606.jpg

Luigiv

bigdaddygamebot said:

I force myself into using the GL with every fight so I'm not exactly a renaissance man when it comes to different weapons in Monster Hunter. :)

Khezu was my first full suit. :) You end up looking like a chubby Altair.
Fair enough. I probably will switch back to long swords since they're more my style. My gunlancing technique is currently abysmal (Run around at mid range waiting for openings, run up to it legs, quick draw, shell spam, retreat & reload. When it falls over, Wyvern Fire).

Though I do admit I won't be abandoning gunlances completely, they're provide some rather satisfying kills. Taking down a Kut-Ku whilst it jumped back with a shell attack and finishing that Khezu with a Wyvern Fire attack, made for some awesome climaxes :D.

Luigiv said:

congrats! :D

Luigiv said:
Fair enough. I probably will switch back to long swords since they're more my style. My gunlancing technique is currently abysmal (Run around at mid range waiting for openings, run up to it legs, quick draw, shell spam, retreat & reload. When it falls over, Wyvern Fire).

Though I do admit I won't be abandoning gunlances completely, they're provide some rather satisfying kills. Taking down a Kut-Ku whilst it jumped back with a shell attack and finishing that Khezu with a Wyvern Fire attack, made for some awesome climaxes :D.

The first time you hit a charging monster with a full blast wyvern fire and you knock it over rather than it stomping you into the ground...

ah...good times.

bigdaddygamebot said:

Anything with guard will all block the same stuff, it's just the amount of stam/hp lost and knock back the different weapons have. In case you are wondering what the order is:

Lance
Gunlance
Greatsword
Sword and shield

Seraphis Cain said:
20091027185411_0.jpg

Woo, only took like eight hours of tedious grinding, but I finally got the Death Stench set! Next stop, Chameleos! :D

wow looks nice :p im starting to farm naga level G, but i think its gonna take a looong time...

demigod

Which Death Stench is that one? I have the sin cloths for them but I'd lose High Grade Earplugs if I went with those. Pretty shitty that the gems for hearprotect are 1 and 3 slots.

I got my Rath Soul U armor. Reckless Abandon is pretty good, was able to kill Azure Lao with Red Dragonsword with 1 minute to spare. -16 dragon resist is killer though. I wish all these damn elder dragon armors didn't have -dragon on them.

Finally got my Smolder Dragonsword. Killed about 5 Felyne Elder Lunastras just to find out that she doesn't drop them. Wish it was listed on minegarde. Went back to granny elder and killed Lunastra, surprised I got 2 horns in one round, didn't think that was possible.

Anyways, did you guys that started on the HR's finish all the Felyne Elder quests first?

2ldzn1v.jpg

I searched for those dummy tickets and that stuff, and there are some special weapon that you can craft using special mats only avaiable at some japanese only quests.

Does anyone know a page with the images of those weapons? I would like to see how they look :)

oracrest

sotodefonk said:
Does anyone know a page with the images of those weapons? I would like to see how they look :)

the art books for MH are oustanding. There is a concept art one, and the CG works one. Both have libraries of armor/weapons in them.

they are especially cool because they show unused wyvern designs.

Don't know about online though.

Thanks. That stuff you guys find is fantastic.

sotodefonk said:
im starting to farm naga level G, but i think its gonna take a looong time...
Do the dual narga quest. They have less HP than th e single one, just get out of there when they're both in the same area. Bring traps too. Remember he can only fall in pits when raged, but he'll stay there for quite a while. I farmed him that way, it was my first G rank armor. I'd recommend you'd get someone to help you though.

Shin_Kojima said:
Thanks. That stuff you guys find is fantastic.

Do the dual narga quest. They have less HP than th e single one, just get out of there when they're both in the same area. Bring traps too. Remember he can only fall in pits when raged, but he'll stay there for quite a while. I farmed him that way, it was my first G rank armor. I'd recommend you'd get someone to help you though.

a1mxl.jpg

Thanks for the tips. Already knew about the traps, I found out while farming for narga brain stems... Will try to do that dual narga quest. Ill go online and drop a house and see if anyone want to help :lol

Shin_Kojima said:
WHat's your name in MH, and what room are you usually in?

My PSN ID is sotodefonk (adhoc shows that name, but my character name is Shigemi) and I always enter J world, and whatever lobby have more people. Just add me to your friends list and you can search me in adhoc party :D

34grlz8.jpg

Anyway, yesterday I farmed nargacuga, got a lot of mats, pretty good If you ask me... some guys where helping me a lot using weapons with para attribute, in fact one time narga was running towards me while I was taking a Mega potion, and half way some guy hitted it and he was paralyzed :lol pretty good, I would have died there.

Well the thing is, I didnt receive a single Hvnly Scale in like 10 runs... other people where getting them, sometimes 3 hvnly scales in one quest. Then a guy told me its because my rank. Im Rank 8, and everybody else was 9. So, does the rank really affects the drops?

I guess I should rank up first...

demigod

Goodness, why is 9* Diablos so damn hard? It took me about 10 tries just to beat him with my Blango Destructor LongSword. I also tried my Hidden Saber. I either get 2shotted by him or time runs out because he has a shitload of hp. His moves that knock me down are pretty much guaranteed death. By the time I get up, he'll be charging at me and it's gameover. I have about 400 armor. I even tried ledging him but I can only get off about 4-5 hits and it's not enough to get him to fall over. His tail is really hard to hit even with LS.

I brought 10 sonic bombs and 15 flash bombs. Used probably about 8 and 11 since I missed him a few times. My felyne paralyzed him too so that helped a ton. Got lucky he didn't kill my shock trap so I caught the bastard. I can't believe Diablos has given me more problems than any elder dragons I've fought.

Has anyone ever sleep bombed a monster? How many sleep arrows can you bring, how many does it take to sleep a monster and is the damage of the arrow the same?

demigod said:
Goodness, why is 9* Diablos so damn hard? It took me about 10 tries just to beat him with my Blango Destructor LongSword. I also tried my Hidden Saber. I either get 2shotted by him or time runs out because he has a shitload of hp. His moves that knock me down are pretty much guaranteed death. By the time I get up, he'll be charging at me and it's gameover. I have about 400 armor. I even tried ledging him but I can only get off about 4-5 hits and it's not enough to get him to fall over. His tail is really hard to hit even with LS.

I brought 10 sonic bombs and 15 flash bombs. Used probably about 8 and 11 since I missed him a few times. My felyne paralyzed him too so that helped a ton. Got lucky he didn't kill my shock trap so I caught the bastard. I can't believe Diablos has given me more problems than any elder dragons I've fought.

Has anyone ever sleep bombed a monster? How many sleep arrows can you bring, how many does it take to sleep a monster and is the damage of the arrow the same?

348hgdj.jpg

Are you talking about G level Diablos? or nekoth's diablos?

Dont know about diablos, but other monsters take around 10-18 shots of sleep coating arrows to sleep them. I guess it depends on distance, charge, and where do you shot.

For diablos I bring bombs and put them when he just charged at me, Put 2 big bombs (If your cats can give you Felyne Bomber better) and wait for him to run towards me, when he is about to reach the bombs, I shoot an arrow to the bombs and then dodge to a side. You can bring more bombs if you find that strategy good. Or just try to sleep him first, but I can only make him sleep once, a second time is hard because the coats are too limited.

If you say about a G rank Diablos, then, get other people to help, because it has a lot of hp :lol

Also if you can get him to stuck is horns on the wall, you can get some free hits to the tail, and it eventually will cut. Just remember that he doesnt stuck if you already broken the horns.

sotodefonk said:
Well the thing is, I didnt receive a single Hvnly Scale in like 10 runs... other people where getting them, sometimes 3 hvnly scales in one quest. Then a guy told me its because my rank. Im Rank 8, and everybody else was 9. So, does the rank really affects the drops?

I guess I should rank up first...

Rank has nothing to do with it. Only ultra/mega lucky and the trap celeb will have any out come on the end rewards, however, some people believe that petting the pig before going will give you a better chance of rewards, tested it myself and saw nothing, use however you see fit. So in the end, you just a appear to be unlucky.

demigod said:

Diablos is just a HP sink with G rank status, giving him better armor and power. The tail can really only be hit safely at a few times, one when he ends his tail sweeps and another when he roars. A few of the risky times when he go into rage mode and slams his tail, even if the tail is cut off, you'll be hit by his phantom tail, easily taking off a quarter of your hp in a few seconds. One of the last ones is to run right at him before his charge and only if you're close enough to get under his legs before he starts it, then just draw hit and hope you reached the tail in time, not only is this not recommended, but if he's too big you'll likely miss.

400 armor is just too low in upper G rank, invest some money in upgrading your hunting set and get that to at least the high 500's, if possible.

Sleep bombing is pretty good up until G rank, at which point they bomb's lacking power and monster HP is too great to be used in place of a normal weapon. It'll end up taking all your bombs and just about the same amount of time, so only for the people that truly enjoy it should do it, even then, if you run out of bombs in the field you're left to slowly kill them with a sleep SnS(But they should be weaken a lot anyway). Up until then, it works very well. And don't take a gunner weapon to sleep bomb, it's only more stuff for you to bring and manage and the ammo is limited, use the (High)Sandman spike. Bomber and element attack up will be the two skill you'll want on a sleep bombing set.

demigod

Nekoth's Diablos btw. That's why I said 9* and not HR or G rank :p. I always cut off his tail and try to aim for it afterwards but the damage doesn't seem to be enough and time runs out. My defense is actually 383, is that not good enough for Nekoth's? I'm trying to finish them before I start HR4 quests. I lose about 30 defense by using Saint Sword Piercing instead of Rath Soul U.

tiltnkirby said:
Diablos is just a HP sink with G rank status, giving him better armor and power. The tail can really only be hit safely at a few times, one when he ends his tail sweeps and another when he roars. A few of the risky times when he go into rage mode and slams his tail, even if the tail is cut off, you'll be hit by his phantom tail, easily taking off a quarter of your hp in a few seconds. One of the last ones is to run right at him before his charge and only if you're close enough to get under his legs before he starts it, then just draw hit and hope you reached the tail in time, not only is this not recommended, but if he's too big you'll likely miss.

400 armor is just too low in upper G rank, invest some money in upgrading your hunting set and get that to at least the high 500's, if possible.

Yeah those 2 you mentioned is when I go after his tail. When I get him stuck in the wall I can *maybe* get 2 hits off the tail along with 2 other leg hits or sometimes I'll completely miss it. I also do hit his tail when he's charging at me but if I'm getting up from his other attack, the charge will hit me and I can't roll into it nor roll outside of it. I only attack his tail when he's diving when I'm full health, sometimes his lame windpress will knock me down and then he jumps up on me. And yeah, I've been hit by his phantom tail a few times. It seems like the end of his cut off tail extends about half an inch and it gets me.

I can kill Nargacuga and other mobs with 25 minutes left, yet I can barely even kill Diablos. Caught him with 8 minutes left.

I'm only on HR4, what is Nekoth's Diablos the equivalent to? I really hate blos and plesioths.

NomarTyme

demigod said:
Nekoth's Diablos btw. That's why I said 9* and not HR or G rank :p. I always cut off his tail and try to aim for it afterwards but the damage doesn't seem to be enough and time runs out. My defense is actually 383, is that not good enough for Nekoth's? I'm trying to finish them before I start HR4 quests. I lose about 30 defense by using Saint Sword Piercing instead of Rath Soul U.

Yeah those 2 you mentioned is when I go after his tail. When I get him stuck in the wall I can *maybe* get 2 hits off the tail along with 2 other leg hits or sometimes I'll completely miss it. I also do hit his tail when he's charging at me but if I'm getting up from his other attack, the charge will hit me and I can't roll into it nor roll outside of it. I only attack his tail when he's diving when I'm full health, sometimes his lame windpress will knock me down and then he jumps up on me. And yeah, I've been hit by his phantom tail a few times. It seems like the end of his cut off tail extends about half an inch and it gets me.

I can kill Nargacuga and other mobs with 25 minutes left, yet I can barely even kill Diablos. Caught him with 8 minutes left.

I'm only on HR4, what is Nekoth's Diablos the equivalent to? I really hate blos and plesioths.
This is why become a gunner.

Luigiv

Blangonga was not as hard as he was hyped up to be. Beat him first go (though did faint once in an act of carelessness). Well, time to finish a few more 3* quests, then onto 4* :D.

2qcfcwm.jpg

Tried to do a rajang HR9 quest and holy shit, he raped me :lol

I guess my S level armor is not enough for him, but narga doesnt want to give me heavenly scales :/ to get the armor...

Also wtf at yamatsukami vortex... I died twice with that and I was scare if I died again all the party will lose :S but managed to survive :lol good times

Even with rajang being crazy shit and fatalis just being beastly, Tigerex stil scares the shit outa me. I think it's prob cuz how intimidating he looks on top of the amount of time I've spent killing the thing to rank up in the past.

demigod

Finally I finished all of Nekoth's quests, now to continue on my HR4. Akantor wasn't that hard, beat him on 3rd attempt. I still can't believe Diablos took all my flash and sonic bombs just to kill. I tried using sonic bombs on Akantor when he did his wind beam, couldn't get any to land. BTW why isn't Yama and Fatalis in elder quests? What's the hardest monster in the game?

I'm going to use bows for HRs, what are some good bows and armor? Damn I feel so rich, I have 1.3m!

NomarTyme

demigod said:
Finally I finished all of Nekoth's quests, now to continue on my HR4. Akantor wasn't that hard, beat him on 3rd attempt. I still can't believe Diablos took all my flash and sonic bombs just to kill. I tried using sonic bombs on Akantor when he did his wind beam, couldn't get any to land. BTW why isn't Yama and Fatalis in elder quests? What's the hardest monster in the game?

I'm going to use bows for HRs, what are some good bows and armor? Damn I feel so rich, I have 1.3m!
So far SSJ2 Rajang! HR9 for me anyways.

demigod said:

Im struggling a bit with Akantor, need to find my feet with him and get a weapon choosen, might continue with the longsword on him.

GillaTheGorilla said:
Im struggling a bit with Akantor, need to find my feet with him and get a weapon choosen, might continue with the longsword on him.

Gun Chariot with a guarding set, it doesn't get any easier. Well it does, if you can get guard inc. in there. Some people like hammer as well.

demigod said:

Use flash on Akantor, I don't remember sonic bombs doing anything.

No idea on Yama, maybe because they wanted to make him hard and no water him down for single player. Or could be he acts as a goal for people to work their way up GH missions instead of being happy with cat elder missions.

If all else fails, falling back on the Soul U set for gunner for High-grade and RA+ isn't a bad start.

Top Bottom