• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite Thread

Mael

r - b - x said:
Weapon trees. know it, follow it. save yourself resources and heartache.

Well I gotta say.... Thank you!
Still it feels a little like cheating >.<
(I'm from the school of gaming that says 'use only what you get the game with and then advices')
Needless to say I'm not very far in Unite....
I just butchered a cephalos in the desert during the night (yay for not having to use the cold potion or whatsisname).
For theses don't you usually need a sonic bomb btw?

Mael said:
(I'm from the school of gaming that says 'use only what you get the game with and then advices')
I just butchered a cephalos in the desert during the night (yay for not having to use the cold potion or whatsisname).

not really as long you attack his fin while hes in the sand (eg during this sand ball attack or triple sand ball attack) , with enough damage he will jump out.

Sonic bombs makes it much easier though.

Just repelled HR8 Azure Lao solo... got 2 heavenly scales in the rewards. This is truly the game that keeps on giving.

Mael said:
If you are a bowgun/bow user you can also shoot their fins as they swim towards you. I usually end up super pounding with my hammer to get them out easy.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So I finally got around to messing with Ad Hoc Party. Works like a dream. Actually pulled me back in after several months off. Got up to HR6 tonight. Though I had help from a couple HR9 friends...>_>

...yeah it felt like cheating...:lol

oracrest

AgentOtaku said:
Whoa!

Where do you get those?

If your talking about the figures, I get them through ebay. there is a seller that does pre-orders for the sets. I just order the full sets.

I am still crossing my fingers for a $300 quality Khezu statue. XD

robox

started a new file, trying to focus on weapons i don't normally use (ds, lance)
making progress with a cousin i've recruited into being a hunter
it's like learning how to play all over again.
oh the pain of fighting even a low rank kut-ku with only yellow sharpness....
also learned that the starter weapons weren't meant to get you into hr2...

Do to other games I haven't played this in quite a while...is it pretty easy to jump back in where one left off or should I start a new game? I don't think I was that far in (hermataur armor I think? It's red)

evilpigking said:
Do to other games I haven't played this in quite a while...is it pretty easy to jump back in where one left off or should I start a new game? I don't think I was that far in (hermataur armor I think? It's red)

Just take some training missions or go back to lower ranks and beat stuff up there till you've gotten back up. Or just jump right in and relearn the old fashion way.

tiltnkirby said:
Just take some training missions or go back to lower ranks and beat stuff up there till you've gotten back up. Or just jump right in and relearn the old fashion way.

Ya, I probably will do that. I might switch weapons which will require me going back to get upgrade materials I'm assuming. Hammer is fun and all but I might go back to gun lance or perhaps try something new altogether like some sort of sword.

Ugh, trying to do the Khezu training school with the dull greatsword and he is raping me. Gotta beat him and the daimyo to unlock pleisoth so I can make the black belt lance =/

gotee12

Luigiv said:
What weapon class are you using? He's easy with a long sword.
I met him on the one star popo tongue gathering quest (at least I think it's called a "popo"). Anyway I was still using starter weapons/armor and am still experimenting with all the different weapons. I learned how to avoid him and gather what I needed to finish the quest. Can't wait until I upgrade my weapons/armor enough to be able to ruin that fool...

gotee12 said:
I met him on the one star popo tongue gathering quest (at least I think it's called a "popo"). Anyway I was still using starter weapons/armor and am still experimenting with all the different weapons. I learned how to avoid him and gather what I needed to finish the quest. Can't wait until I upgrade my weapons/armor enough to be able to ruin that fool...
haha i was wondering when i saw him first if pro's killed the tigrex in that 1 star mission. with all the starter gear.

gotee12

kafka rock opera said:
haha i was wondering when i saw him first if pro's killed the tigrex in that 1 star mission. with all the starter gear.
I imagine that there's lots of pros out there that could do it. Kinda like the folks that can get through the Demons Souls tutorial level without being killed by the boss.

However I do not belong to either category!

kafka rock opera said:

You can. It'll take you almost the whole time to do it and your weapon will be in red almost the whole time, leaving you with almost no time left to finish turning in the gathering quest.

Luigiv

gotee12 said:
Fair enough. I wasn't sure if you meant the one star quest or the official quest so I just assumed it was the latter. Well in that case you don't need to worry about meeting him again for another 30+ hours or so, so make sure to brush up your skills as you get there.

gotee12

Luigiv said:
Fair enough. I wasn't sure if you meant the one star quest or the official quest so I just assumed it was the latter. Well in that case you don't need to worry about meeting him again for another 30+ hours or so, so make sure to brush up your skills as you get there.
Good. I'm only 5.5 hours in. If I'm supposed to take that sucker on and win at this point, then there's no hope for me in the Monster Hunter series...

evilpigking said:
Ugh, trying to do the Khezu training school with the dull greatsword and he is raping me. Gotta beat him and the daimyo to unlock pleisoth so I can make the black belt lance =/

That one requires you to keep doing charge attacks on him. He has a ton of set-up time when he does an attack, the toughest part is getting the right position to land the charge hit and not slide too close/into him. If you're daring enough, try to do charge hits on him when he shocks around himself.

Luigiv

evilpigking said:
Are you specifically trying to beat him with a GS or are you just trying to beat him? If it's the former, I have no tips personally, if it's the latter then just switch to the SnS and you wont even need to break a sweat over it.

gotee12

BradleyUK said:
PSN: BradleyUK

Just got this game =D
I'm almost 9 hours into it and I'm loving it. The MH3 demo was my first taste of Monster Hunter and I was so impressed by the demo that I bought a PSP just for MHFU. It has an insane learning curve though. Even with 9 hours under my belt, I feel like I'm just now starting to understand it and get into a groove of sorts. It's easy to see how folks can rack up 200+ hours in this game. It is now my portable game of choice for any and all work trips and vacations.

gotee12 said:
I'm almost 9 hours into it and I'm loving it. The MH3 demo was my first taste of Monster Hunter and I was so impressed by the demo that I bought a PSP just for MHFU. It has an insane learning curve though. Even with 9 hours under my belt, I feel like I'm just now starting to understand it and get into a groove of sorts. It's easy to see how folks can rack up 200+ hours in this game. It is now my portable game of choice for any and all work trips and vacations.

yep, just hit 102+ hours today :D

EDIT: Chameleos! quit stealing my shit! (>__<)

gotee12 said:

You will hit a wall eventually if you only play alone. Do you have a PS3 or know how to fuck with xlink kai? Its hard to go back to playing alone when you take down some awesome shit with 4 players or other dudes in 5 minutes when it takes you 30 alone.

Gamer @ Heart said:
You will hit a wall eventually if you only play alone. Do you have a PS3 or know how to fuck with xlink kai? Its hard to go back to playing alone when you take down some awesome shit with 4 players or other dudes in 5 minutes when it takes you 30 alone.

I agree, but I do like the pacing of soloing some stuff just cuz it's like a drawn out paced intensity.

I need to play this right now but got too many other things I am currently playing... just gotta beet Patchwork Heroes and Perfect Dark.

I would be in nirvana if only i had friends with psp, much less monster hunter.

As it stands, i gave up on this game when i had to move the router out of my room a few months back (thus my lan connection for adhoc) and havent looked back since with Tri on the horizon. I still feel guilty though. I had some pretty narly shit too. : (

gotee12

Gamer @ Heart said:
Yeah, I got a PS3. I'll try the ad-hoc party at some point. I'm really not going to be interested in trying multi-player until I hit the 30-40 hour mark. Hopefully I'll make it that far before hitting any walls. I want to get as comfortable as possible with the core mechanics and start picking up on all the nuances of the weapons before I start hunting with others. I hate having clueless people on my team.

I equally hate being that clueless person. :D

gotee12 said:
Yeah, I got a PS3. I'll try the ad-hoc party at some point. I'm really not going to be interested in trying multi-player until I hit the 30-40 hour mark. Hopefully I'll make it that far before hitting any walls. I want to get as comfortable as possible with the core mechanics and start picking up on all the nuances of the weapons before I start hunting with others. I hate having clueless people on my team.

PSN AgentOtaku

Hit me up if you ever wanna hunt. I'm in germany though...

gotee12

If you don't mind, allow me to be a noob for a second...

I just finished the 2 star quest "Reckless Bulldrome Hunter". The first attempt wound up with me fainting once and barely taking him down before I fainted for a second time. It was stressful. The second time, things clicked and he only touched me twice for very little damage. By the third time I attempted the quest, I wasted that fool. The bulldrome never touched me, I kept my LS Spirit Gauge full and never missed a swing.

And I'm still fighting the basic, low-level baddies. The adrenaline rush is gonna make me pass out when I start ruining the big boys...

(and I haven't forgotten about the impending "wall" boss of defeat)

/noob post

So I have the Dragon X armor and I am trying to think of what to gem it with. Sharpness +1 would be nice with the Sharp Sword it already has. I already have a Reckless Abandon armor set to go with my hammers, so not that. Any thoughts?

tiltnkirby said:
That one requires you to keep doing charge attacks on him. He has a ton of set-up time when he does an attack, the toughest part is getting the right position to land the charge hit and not slide too close/into him. If you're daring enough, try to do charge hits on him when he shocks around himself.
I think the easiest way to do the khezu GS training is to do an unsheathe attack to its face right after it shoots out the triple thunder shot, roll, and sheathe your weapon. The head is the only part that can be hit without the weapon consistently bouncing- hitting soft parts like the head will mean putting less wear on the weapon. If you're close enough, you should be able to get off a charged strike, possibly up to the second level.

The next easiest opening for a attack to the face is when it's turning around. The only problem is that if you start charging too soon (say, before you know it will actually turn around), you could get hit by its shock attack or by its scream.

Once it's raged (its breath turns white), you probably shouldn't bother charging your attacks since its recovery time between attacks shortens. It will also be more likely to try the scream, shocking leap attack combo, so you should either try to stay behind it all the time or be prepared to instant-guard against roars.

oracrest

gotee12 said:

surprisingly, there hasn't been not too many dicks i have played with online, people seem to get straight down to business on ad-hoc party.

oracrest

diddlyD said:
real life felyne

???

1270564382688.jpg

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
You guys, especially in the UK, I'm really pumped up about Tri right now and would really love to play Unite with some of you through Ad-hoc Party.

I have over 300hours clocked on Unite (more if you count the other PSP games) and love the idea of helping out some Hunters in need of assistance, or just bringing along a Horn and buffing for fun!

Please add me if you fancy some company: B-Genius
Add a note saying you're a hunter and let me know which room I can find you in. Cheers!

54-46!

Some weird shit, I get a black screen after I created a new character and tried to start a new game? still works with my first character..

Anyone else had this problem?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Gonna be picking up a PSP tomorrow, as well as this game. Gonna be my first Monster Hunter game. Any advice for a newbie?

I actually will have a couple of people to play ad hoc with occasionally, but a lot of solo play as well.

Moobabe

Zerokku said:
Gonna be picking up a PSP tomorrow, as well as this game. Gonna be my first Monster Hunter game. Any advice for a newbie?

I actually will have a couple of people to play ad hoc with occasionally, but a lot of solo play as well.

I'm in the same boat - is this THE monster hunter game I should pick up for psp?

Moobabe said:
I'm in the same boat - is this THE monster hunter game I should pick up for psp?

Zerokku said:

Yes this is THE monster hunter game for the PSP. Advice? find a weapon your comfortable with. Don't just use Great Swords because it has high damage. You'll take down the monsters in about the same time with what ever weapon you use because it comes down to knowing when to hit and back away. Speaking of that, LEARN the monster's patterns. Find out when to attack that Tigrex when its raged. It will save your life. You don't get to HR9 by charging recklessly head on and attacking full out. Also YOU WILL DIE, ALOT, but once you take down your first Rathalos it will all be worth it.

oracrest

Moobabe said:

this is THE monster hunter game on any system, barring tri. This has all the different areas available from the series this far, and all in one game. All the monsters as well. They aren't available any where else in a complete package likein Unite.

Happy hunting!

54-46!

Where can I find some hunters to play Ad-hoc with? IRC servers or forums?

Just a chat or something where I can jump in and ask for a party when I want to play would be nice.

After a month or so of not playing any Monster Hunter, my friends and I decided to pick up our MHFUnights (clever huh?) on Friday over ad-hoc party. I realized we are one quest away from Ukanlos, and I still have 70% of the Gathering Hall quests to clear. Its amazing that I have been playing this game since the launch of MHF2 and still have continuous fun with it, and that there is still so much to do.

ScHlAuChi said:
So is MHT less, or more grindy than Demons Souls?

More, if you like having a huge assortment of weapons.

Hey guys I'd like to play with y'all one day, I managed to solo all the way to HR4 but my current weapons are just too weak to repel ashen LSL. I'd appreciate it if you guys could send me a PSN invite so I can get some help after my exams :D

PSN: Zephyr_Ex

Top Bottom