• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Demo impressions thread

alstein

Criminal Upper said:
I would be shocked if it didn't sell 1 million copies+ in April.

This game might even outsell SF4. Should outsell SC4 (isn't that still #2 for fighting game sales this gen, or did Tekken creep in there?)

fernoca

alstein said:
This game might even outsell SF4. Should outsell SC4 (isn't that still #2 for fighting game sales this gen, or did Tekken creep in there?)
Based on the last reported numbers (worldwide)I've seen, though is not like the games stopped selling after:
1. Street Fighter IV: 4 million [PS3, 360]
2. Tekken 6: 3 million [PS3, 360, PSP]
3. Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe: 2.5 million [PS3, 360]
4. Soulcalibur IV: 2 million [PS3, 360]
5. Super Street Fighter IV: 1.5 million [PS3, 360]

MKvsDC could be at around 3 million same for Soucalibur IV.
Marvel vs Capcom 3 is at around 1 million, but it's just 1 month old.

Struct09

God dammit. They release that awesome extended trailer, and we still have 4 weeks from tomorrow before the game comes out. Pure fucking torture :mad:

luffeN

fernoca said:
Interesting.
It seems th PS3 will get its own version of "chibi avatars" based on the MK characters, while the 360 version gets the regular avatars; wearing whatever your character is wearing.

That explains the Kung Lao (Scorpion in PAL) avatar costume on the 360 version and the description mentioning how you can see your avatar wearing it during the King of the Hill mode.

Regular Edition? Amazon's giving $10 credit and Reptile retro outfit/fatality. Wal-Mart's doing the same, but the $10 can only be used online and the retro stuff is Mileena's.
Nice, but I should have clarified that I'm from Europe :D Just ordered the KE edition at Game. Still cheaper than the regular edition in our shops :)

So is it confirmed that there will be little "avatars" of some sort for the PS3 version as well?

infinityBCRT said:
Have you come around to the Shaolin Monks Reptile style yet?

I'm guessing this (fan made fatality) is more your style.
I liked it in Shaolin Monks but probably only because of what I got in Deadly Alliance. But since then, I've grown to dislike the head proportions. The mouth and jaw are fugly.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
So is it confirmed that there will be little "avatars" of some sort for the PS3 version as well?

The avatars in this extended trailer seem to be from the PS3 version. I'm just basing this on the fact that all the button commands in that trailer were from the PS3 version and they also advertise Kratos in it. I don't think that you're going to see Kratos pop up in any ads that are advertising the game for both platforms.

SolidSnakex said:
The avatars in this extended trailer seem to be from the PS3 version. I'm just basing this on the fact that all the button commands in that trailer were from the PS3 version and they also advertise Kratos in it. I don't think that you're going to see Kratos pop up in any ads that are advertising the game for both platforms.
Heh, you're right. Or maybe the trailer isn't final and it will actually point out exclusive kontent during the Kratos and avatar sequences. I'm reaching.

WHY is this game taking so long to get here? Been waiting since it's reveal (and before that if you count my dreams and fantasies).

SolidSnakex said:
Yeah, judging from the KE where you get an unlock code for a Kung Lao or Scorpion Avatar (depending on region) for use in the King of the Hill mode, looks like its for either platform.
mk2-600x531.jpg

I think this also lends credence to the fact that these retailer/kollector's exclusive items are just unlock codes for the Krypt.

Edit: Scratch that, the pics of the PS3 KE don't have the Avatar card, looks like its an Xbox 360 exclusive thing.

TreIII

alstein said:

It's pretty damn likely MK will outsell SF4 in the West alone. Now, whether those sales will be able to topple SF4's WW sales is another thing altogether.

I mean, if they truly play their cards right with how they do DLC in this game, this one MK fighter could stand to last for quite a while, and more people will buy into it as it becomes cheaper. That could make all the difference, especially if it's more likely a true "expansion" comes through cost-effective DLC rather than another disc to buy. Not to mention this game is pretty packed with content as it is...

RustyNails said:
I have a question. Will there be a Konquest mode?
Nope :(

But it will have a fully fleshed out single-player mode with cutscenes and the like. It's just not going to be a third-person adventure like Konquest.

fernoca

No Konquest Mode, but a Story Mode, similar to DC Universe. Divided in chapters, you control a character (or two) on each chapter, train, fight and see cutscenes explaining and moving the story.

The Lamonster said:
Nope :(

But it will have a fully fleshed out single-player mode with cutscenes and the like. It's just not going to be a third-person adventure like Konquest.
:(
I liked the idea of a nameless warrior traversing through the MK universe and encountering MK characters, while on the quest to retrieve a magical mcguffin. Scorpion's netherrealm in Deception was downright freaky.

Xater

fernoca said:
No Konquest Mode, but a Story Mode, similar to DC Universe. Divided in chapters, you control a character (or two) on each chapter, train, fight and see cutscenes explaining and moving the story.

I think this is way better than Konquest mode.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Heh, you're right. Or maybe the trailer isn't final and it will actually point out exclusive kontent during the Kratos and avatar sequences. I'm reaching.

I think that fernoca's theory is probably right. It seems like they created chibi versions of MK characters for the PS3 version while the 360 version will simply use your own avatar.

TreIII said:
It's pretty damn likely MK will outsell SF4 in the West alone. Now, whether those sales will be able to topple SF4's WW sales is another thing altogether.

I mean, if they truly play their cards right with how they do DLC in this game, this one MK fighter could stand to last for quite a while, and more people will buy into it as it becomes cheaper. That could make all the difference, especially if it's more likely a true "expansion" comes through cost-effective DLC rather than another disc to buy. Not to mention this game is pretty packed with content as it is...
One thing you have to hand to WB, other than the retailer exclusive DLC fiasco a few months back, they've perfectly telegraphed the marketing campaign. They've slowly been releasing info, and its to the point where people want to buy this game based on what has been shown. And they *still* haven't shown most of the online features and haven't really had a proper story trailer out yet. And theres also a bunch of characters that they haven't had proper trailers for either (Jade, Sheeva, Shang Tsung, etc). I've been hanging on to every piece of media that they release since they released the Noob and Liu Kang trailers.

RustyNails said:
I have a question. Will there be a Konquest mode?
As said before, no Konquest mode, but a 5-6 hour Story mode (according to one of the MK producers at PAX East). The Challenge Tower is also about 10-12 hours of content I believe.

I liked Konquest in MK:D but I think I'll be happy with the Story mode as well.

TheHakku

Anyanka said:
I want Ed Boon as the MK1 announcer. He did the voice last year in an interview and it was awesome.
Yeah! Though not credited, he was the original announcer (old Shang Tsung?) in MK1. I really hope we get announcer unlocks.

fernoca

RustyNails said:
:(
I liked the idea of a nameless warrior traversing through the MK universe and encountering MK characters, while on the quest to retrieve a magical mcguffin. Scorpion's netherrealm in Deception was downright freaky.
Maybe for a future game. :p

If anything it would be better if they divide the franchise in 3:
1. Mortal Kombat -main fighting games (2D fighting, cannon story, online, DLC, fatalities, etc. -M rated-)
2. Mortal Kombat -adventure/spinoffs (which includes the likes of Monks, Kart, Chess, Puzzle, Konquest, etc. in one package -M rated-)
3. Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe (2D tag team focused, eliminate fatalities, lots of specials and guest/cameos -T rated-)

That way they could alternate the series, without draining the main fighting games and support each game individually, without the "meh, I'll buy the sequel with more characters later on".

GrayFoxPL

Xater said:
I think this is way better than Konquest mode.

Nah, Mkvsdc story mode was so forgetful. Konquest in Deception had tiny budget but it was awesome to travel to different realms and see how fucked up their people are. Chaos one ruled. Good story.

fernoca said:

1. Mortal Kombat -main fighting games (2D fighting, cannon story, online, DLC, fatalities, etc. -M rated-)
2. Mortal Kombat -adventure/spinoffs (which includes the likes of Monks, Kart, Chess, Puzzle, Konquest, etc. in one package -M rated-)
3. Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe (2D tag team focused, eliminate fatalities, lots of specials and guest/cameos -T rated-)

That way they could alternate the series, without draining the main fighting games and support each game individually, without the "meh, I'll buy the sequel with more characters later on".
I love this idea, except I'd be fine with seeing the "vs" series die. I really, really did not enjoy MK vs DC. Maybe the third branch of MK games could go back to live actor sprites like in MK1-3!

fernoca said:

I sort of like the idea and definitely would sell my soul for Shaolin Monks 2. But I think the disadvantage of that is too much exposure, the same pitfall the original MK series stumbled into around MK Trilogy time.

fernoca

GrayFoxPL said:
Nah, Mkvsdc story mode was so forgetful. Konquest in Deception had tiny budget but it was awesome to travel to different realms and see how fucked up their people are. Chaos one ruled. Good story.
Yeah. That's why it should be better at it's own game, rather than an extra mode in the main game.

If they focused it as one main game, with visuals like God of War III. It would be amazing. Exploring Seido, Edenia, Outworld, meeting characters from the series, and with the Shaolin Monks gameplay.

The Lamonster said:
I love this idea, except I'd be fine with seeing the "vs" series die. I really, really did not enjoy MK vs DC. Maybe the third branch of MK games could go back to live actor sprites like in MK1-3!
My "thing" with DC Universe, even when I liked the game; is that is like they made game under such pressure and forced, and with limited resources and it end feeling kinda generic, with things forced on it.

But a DC Universe sequel, using the same "2D" engine/models from this game, eliminating Fatalites (maybe putting X-ray moves as "fatalities", to avoid "killing" Batman :p), tag team focused (ala other Vs series), with lots of flashy moves, specials, and faster; would be nice. Throw some comic-book cutscenes and ..day one! :p

RustyNails said:
I sort of like the idea and definitely would sell my soul for Shaolin Monks 2. But I think the disadvantage of that is too much exposure, the same pitfall the original MK series stumbled into around MK Trilogy time.
Yeah, that too. More than anything, I do hope that the franchise is threated better this time as a whole, to avoid Special Forces, Annihilation and other "things". Ironically I liked Special Forces and Annihilation, so I guess I have no taste.:p

TreIII

fernoca said:

I'd be perfectly fine with something like this. I have no problem with them trying more things like Monks and Konquest. In fact, I'd love if they could do more. Just don't take away necessary time and resources from the fighting game development, when it's a FG's turn, is all I ask.

Otherwise, they can go nuts. :lol

MiniDitka

Having never played the MK series I was wondering which MK game would be the best to start out with before giving this a go. I was thinking maybe Armageddon.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Struct09

MiniDitka said:
Having never played the MK series I was wondering which MK game would be the best to start out with before giving this a go. I was thinking maybe Armageddon.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Armageddon is the one you should stay away from :p

Start with MK1 and MK2 if you've never played them. UMK3 is awesome as well. Deadly Alliance and Deception are good games, and do some interesting things with their story modes, but their fighting systems are really dependent on dial-a-combos.

Shaolin Monks should definitely be played.

MiniDitka said:
I would say play through the original Mortal Kombat but it's not really readily available anywhere at the moment. I'm not sure if you should spend your time playing Armageddon when it's all about to get ret-conned in about a month :p

If you have some way to play MK1, do that.

MK_character_select.png

Irish

MiniDitka said:

While Armageddon may have every character, it was absolutely terrible. Seriously, I think a lot of the hate for the PS2 games comes from that because I really liked Dark Alliance and Deception.

Gravijah

The Lamonster said:
I would say play through the original Mortal Kombat but it's not really readily available anywhere at the moment. I'm not sure if you should spend your time playing Armageddon when it's all about to get ret-conned in about a month :p

If you have some way to play MK1, do that.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/09/MK_character_select.png[MG][/QUOTE]

maaaaaaaaaaaaaame

fernoca

MiniDitka said:
Depends on the consoles you have.
If you have a PS2, you'll be fine with Shaolin Monks, which bishoptl recently gave his approval. :p

It'a nice, fun game, that will introduce you to the world. It's a retelling of the events leading from the end of the first game, during the second game and ending right at the beginning of the third one; but won't affect the overall story line is not directly tied to any game.

That game also includes an arcade port of MKII; so that way you'll also get a taste of how the original games played.

Other suggestion could be:
Midway Arcade Treasures II (PS2/Xbox): Include ports of MKII and MK3. [not backward compatible with the Xbox 360] (Midway Arcade Treasures Extended Play for the PSP, includes MK, MKII and MK3)

Mortal Kombat Deception (PS2/Xbox) if you want to see how the more recent 3D games played with the 3 fighting styles, and extra modes like Puzzles, Chess, Konquest.

MiniDitka said:
Mk1, mk2, mk3, Deception and Shaolin monks are the ones I'd seek out. MK2 is in certain versions of SM (think its not in PAL version) and I think MK1 is in the standalone kollector's edition of Deception. MK2 is on PSN, and if you have a PSP you can get the first 3 games in Midway Arcade Treasures.

I'd honestly say just avoid the old games. This MK doesn't feel anything like those games so it's a better idea to just grab the demo and enjoy that until the full game is released.

MiniDitka

fernoca said:
Depends on the consoles you have.
If you have a PS2, you'll be fine with Shaolin Monks, which bishoptl recently gave his approval. :p
I have a Wii,360,PS2. Thanks for the suggestions guys : ) I'm gonna head out to Gamestop/Disc Replay tomorrow and see if they have any of these.

SolidSnakex said:
I'd honestly say just avoid the old games. This MK doesn't feel anything like those games so it's a better idea to just grab the demo and enjoy that until the full game is released.
Anyone know when the demo is coming to the 360?

SolidSnakex said:

Yeah there is a little bit of 2 (juggles) and 3 (dial a combo) in there but really it still plays a lot like the 3D games on PS2/360, only on a 2D plane. If you want to get the mythos and story, start with MK1 (though it plays like garbage) 2, and 3 in order.

fernoca

Mortal Kombat (the first one) can be obtained for the PS2, with some work though. You'll need to go to a Gamestop and ask the employee to show you all copies they have of Mortal Kombat Deception for the PS2, regular and kollectors. Any disc that has the art of Sub-Zero; it's a disc with the first game only.

The Kollectors Edition of the PS2 came in 2 disc the regular game and the bonus disc which had some trailers and playable/classic MKI. Some Gamestops had problems, because some people traded the bonus disc as it was the full Deception game (disc only says Mortal Kombat Deception and has Sub-Zero on it) and were given the full value of Deception (up to $20 back then), juts for a disc with MK classic. :p

Midway corrected that in Armageddon, were the bonus disc of the Kollector's only has trailers and the playable UMK3 it's on the game disc.

Shoalin Monks was such and awesome and well put together game. You really fel like you were in the world of Mortal Kombat. They really need to make a version for PS3 so I can play with a friend online

Frankfurt

Banned
fernoca said:
Based on the last reported numbers (worldwide)I've seen, though is not like the games stopped selling after:
1. Street Fighter IV: 4 million [PS3, 360]
2. Tekken 6: 3 million [PS3, 360, PSP]
3. Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe: 2.5 million [PS3, 360]
4. Soulcalibur IV: 2 million [PS3, 360]
5. Super Street Fighter IV: 1.5 million [PS3, 360]

MKvsDC could be at around 3 million same for Soucalibur IV.
Marvel vs Capcom 3 is at around 1 million, but it's just 1 month old.

MKvsDC wasn't released in Asia, so it's pretty amazing it's still number 3 even then.

Ionic

Is the AI in the demo not finished yet? I say this because I've never played Mortal Kombat outside of a few arcade matches and I played around on beginner, then I decided to play expert for laughs and managed to win four matches in a row with Johnny Cage. They didn't really fight back too much. I felt like a god spamming uppercut and little green fireballs.

derFeef

Peff said:
Unfortunately no.
:( Thanks.

They need to come out and tell us what the exclusive content for the 360 is going to be. Seriously, its just one month now. MS can't sleep that much, can they? Either they are waiting because they have something big (which I doubt) or NR is not ready to show it.

S1kkZ

derFeef said:
:( Thanks.

They need to come out and tell us what the exclusive content for the 360 is going to be. Seriously, its just one month now. MS can't sleep that much, can they? Either they are waiting because they have something big (which I doubt) or NR is not ready to show it.
dont get your hopes up. the sony exclusive (kratos) is pretty big, i dont think netherrealm is allowed or has the time to do another exclusive character. maybe the 360 version gets an exclusive mp mode, new costumes or some new extras in the krypt.

Top Bottom