• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Demo impressions thread

GrayFoxPL

fernoca said:
Yeah. That's why it should be better at it's own game, rather than an extra mode in the main game.

If they focused it as one main game, with visuals like God of War III. It would be amazing. Exploring Seido, Edenia, Outworld, meeting characters from the series, and with the Shaolin Monks gameplay.

Yeah, but you know, I can't shake the feeling Shaolin Monks was so good because Boon had relatively little to do with it. He supposedly creative director, but all the designs were made by others. Boon loves to rehash everything, but SM had all new animations, models, everything. It just didn't have that "Boon hand" on it. So I don't think sequel is high up on his priorities. I want to be wrong though.

fernoca said:
My "thing" with DC Universe, even when I liked the game; is that is like they made game under such pressure and forced, and with limited resources and it end feeling kinda generic, with things forced on it.

But a DC Universe sequel, using the same "2D" engine/models from this game, eliminating Fatalites (maybe putting X-ray moves as "fatalities", to avoid "killing" Batman :p), tag team focused (ala other Vs series), with lots of flashy moves, specials, and faster; would be nice. Throw some comic-book cutscenes and ..day one! :p

I'd like a proper and finished sequel to MKvsDC too. Fuck me if punching batman isn't good. Just kill off Flash and replace Luthor with Sektor.

fernoca said:
Ironically I liked Special Forces and Annihilation, so I guess I have no taste.:p
hnN.jpg

;).

DIRTY-D

Posting this with a huge grain of salt..this has been floating arounding IGN threads and TRMK threads....so take it however.

"It is RUMOURED that the Demo of Mortal Kombat for the Xbox 360, Will be released on March, 22 (According to a thread on IGN) April, 5th (According to a statement by, Ed Boon himself)."

You think Kano will have his MK1 white outfit in the krypt? would be awesome as Kano was one of my faves in the first game, along side subby.

G-Fex

Now the only thing that'd make this better is if they had a badass commercial like they did for MK2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBhm8kMVMVc

It's true, that commercial in it's entirety is better than the second movie. I'd like Reptile to look like he does in that commercial. Plus Shao Khan looks badass there, I think this commercial had a bigger budget than the second movie.

Best part is at 0:27

Diablohead said:
You think Kano will have his MK1 white outfit in the krypt? would be awesome as Kano was one of my faves in the first game, along side subby.

The Krypt in MK: Deadly Alliance had a MK1-style alt for Kano, so the chances are good.

bio2.gif

Struct09

G-Fex said:
Now the only thing that'd make this better is if they had a badass commercial like they did for MK2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBhm8kMVMVc

It's true, that commercial in it's entirety is better than the second movie. I'd like Reptile to look like he does in that commercial. Plus Shao Khan looks badass there, I think this commercial had a bigger budget than the second movie.

Best part is at 0:27

This reminds me how hyped I was for MK2 on SNES

Balb

This has probably been asked a million times already but is Kratos actually going to be in the story mode, or is he just a tacked on character in arcade mode with a bit of backstory?

Balb said:
This has probably been asked a million times already but is Kratos actually going to be in the story mode, or is he just a tacked on character in arcade mode with a bit of backstory?

The latter, I would imagine. But we really don't know much about the story mode.

Bleepey

Balb said:
tacked on.

S1kkZ said:
dont get your hopes up. the sony exclusive (kratos) is pretty big, i dont think netherrealm is allowed or has the time to do another exclusive character. maybe the 360 version gets an exclusive mp mode, new costumes or some new extras in the krypt.

Yeah this. I think in an interview one of the devs said 360 will get exclusive cotet rather than a character

Balb said:

KRATOS SPOILERS!!!

Well I think he does have a story in the game which is part of the main arc however I don't think his role is pivotal. From what I've read Shoa Kahn attempts to acquire the strongest warrior in the universe and comes across Kratos who he transports from ancient greece to the time of Mortal Kombat. He wants to use Kratos to do his bidding but of course Kratos refuses and goes all hell fire and brimstone "EVERYTHING MUST COME TO AN END!" on his ass. So basically after that failed attempt Shoa Kahn is hunted down by Kratos

/KRATOS SPOILERS!!!!

Frankfurt

Banned
The 360 demo hitting tomorrow sounds unlikely, but would be awesome, as my Gold ends in two weeks.

I wish we had a 360 character, but my hope has dwindled. I'm expecting something super-lame, like an extra multiplayer mode where you controls avatars or whatever. I held hope, but Boon's tweets just make it seem like it's Sony all the way.

Kano with the full MK3 look or the MK1 look for alternates would be great. He and Shang look too similar (black and red, black hair, facial hair), and neither looks too close to previous incarnations. My favorite new looks are guys like Scorpion and Sub-Zero, which look instantly recognizable despite having a lot of new detail. I guess they tried doing the same to Kano, mixing the red clothes with the movie face, but I don't think it looked very recognizable. Most of the cast looks good, though. Shame Sonya isn't getting the Keri Hoskins look (neither in body type nor outfit).

Also, the (award-winning) Deception commercial is even cooler than the MK2 one, IMO.

MrMephistoX

DIRTY-D said:

"Don't mess with Sonya, she'll kick your butt!"
damn she's hot in this vid :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOIBqcX1ikU

and I kinda liked the MK Shaolin Monks commercial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIT3_Q4z6QY&feature=related

Yeah she looked great in MK3. I never actually realized how attractive the original actress was since the camera tech wasn't quite as nice in MK1. Hopefully she and all the other non-ninjas will get a classic alt...not digging the bikini top/bare midriff only look for all the ladies in this one.

DIRTY-D

speaking of MK versus DC.

I was looking back to the old thread...and remembered this great gif someone made.

I nearly pissed myself when I saw it. It was based off the old ad they made..great stuff.

23h387a.gif

Spookie

DRE Fei said:
Here's some weird game show from the 90s with the original johnny cage and sonya. I think it's called "Games master"

Weird game show? Pfft! That show was godlike at the time.

When I was a wee nipper and Dominic Diamond wasn't a complete bellend yet.

HooCares

Neo Member
So is amazon ever going to start taking preorders again for the Tourney Editions....

fuck. Guess I gotta go through gamestop.

evil ways

HooCares said:
So is amazon ever going to start taking preorders again for the Tourney Editions....

fuck. Guess I gotta go through gamestop.
If all you want is the stick, PDP is taking preorders for it on their site.

Struct09

evil ways said:

Sadly, it's the same price as the TE but doesn't come with the game. And they only have the Xbox 360 version.

Best Buy is still taking online pre-orders, and you can choose to pick it up in-store.

fernoca

Agkel said:
Is there an official version of what exactly happened between the two of them?
I've looked all over the interwebz with no success.
Old rumors says that the departure was not friendly...at first.
There were a lot of internal struggles inside the team, pressure and what (to many) began the fall of Mortal Kombat (Annihilation, MK4, Mythologies, Special Forces, and so on). Tobias and a few other members left the team and formed their own team (Studio Gigante).

Seems it wasn't till a few years later that the team started getting along again, recently as evidenced by Tobias drawing the comic book inside the limited edition of DC Universe.

HooCares

Neo Member
evil ways said:

Thanks for posting that but unless I read it wrong it looks like they are charging 150 for the stick alone and no game, where the tourney editions are 150, stick+game.

evil ways

Struct09 said:
Sadly, it's the same price as the TE but doesn't come with the game. And they only have the Xbox 360 version.

Best Buy is still taking online pre-orders, and you can choose to pick it up in-store.
Yikes, didn't notice it was just for the stick.

Unicorn

fernoca said:
Old rumors says that the departure was not friendly...at first.
There were a lot of internal struggles inside the team, pressure and what (to many) began the fall of Mortal Kombat (Annihilation, MK4, Mythologies, Special Forces, and so on). Tobias and a few other members left the team and formed their own team (Studio Gigante).

Seems it wasn't till a few years later that the team started getting along again, recently as evidenced by Tobias drawing the comic book inside the limited edition of DC Universe.
So Tobias is to credit for the cool original characters (hence his comic book artist background).

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Say, question for the MK fans... any opinion on what is the best version of Ultimate MK3 one can get today?

Glass Joe

MrMephistoX said:
Yeah she looked great in MK3. I never actually realized how attractive the original actress was since the camera tech wasn't quite as nice in MK1. Hopefully she and all the other non-ninjas will get a classic alt...not digging the bikini top/bare midriff only look for all the ladies in this one.

Liu Kang and Sonya were played by different actors in Mortal Kombat 3 than in MK1 & II (one of the many reasons part 3 struck my eye wrong). Technically the male ninjas & female ninjas were played by different people too, though that's less noticeable with the masks. And Johnny Cage in Trilogy was a different actor as well, for reasons already pointed out in the thread.

But yes, Part 3 Sonya is smooookin' hot.

Anyanka

Kaijima said:
Say, question for the MK fans... any opinion on what is the best version of Ultimate MK3 one can get today?

NOT Snes & Genesis. You want to go MAME, XBLA if there's still a way to get it, or the DS version.

MrMephistoX said:

Elizabeth Malecki (MK1) wasn't so great. Kerri Hoskins (MK3), on the other hand...

fernoca

Unicorn said:
So Tobias is to credit for the cool original characters (hence his comic book artist background).
Well, he focused on comics after.. So if anything, creating the MK characters (and also his own studio and sadly failing) inspired to focus on comic books, rather than being the reason.

People liking his design, depends on who you ask. I liked them, I prefer the artwork from Deadly Alliance. Some hated Tobia's artstyle because most of the characters looked the same. Some liked his designs, but not the actual art, and so on.

Top Bottom