• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Demo impressions thread

KevinCow said:
1ykra.gif
stealing. Thanks!

BuzzJive

Has there been any detailing of how online play will work? I haven't gone all in on any fighting games in recent years and don't even know what type of common stuff to expect. All I'm really hoping for is a way for me and several other buddies to hop in to some kind of group and have some sort of winner stays on action - very much like the way we used to play MK2 in the arcade or on the SNES back in the day. Is that a reasonable expectation here?

BuzzJive said:
Has there been any detailing of how online play will work? I haven't gone all in on any fighting games in recent years and don't even know what type of common stuff to expect. All I'm really hoping for is a way for me and several other buddies to hop in to some kind of group and have some sort of winner stays on action - very much like the way we used to play MK2 in the arcade or on the SNES back in the day. Is that a reasonable expectation here?
King of the Hill mode...
KSLQD.png

Just noticed this in the Scorpion Retro Alt commercial:

It says "Unlock" Scorpion's Skin and Fatality. I think this means that all of the pre-order bonuses are likely on the disc and can be unlocked via the Krypt.

edit: ... or not.

Struct09 said:
Cool, is that our first view of old Shang Tsung?

http://i53.tinypic.com/2agn5n8.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Yeah, looks like the same look when hes sitting on his throne:
[IMG]http://www.bifuteki.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/MK9_360_Nightwolf_Lightning_Noob_ForceBall_STThrone.jpg

infinityBCRT said:

It says "Unlock" Scorpion's Skin and Fatality. I think this means that all of the pre-order bonuses are likely on the disc and can be unlocked via the Krypt.

Hopefully.

EDIT - noob saibot looks badass jeez.

Gravijah

infinityBCRT said:

Don't the GameStop commercials always say "unlock"?

infinityBCRT said:

Most of their pre-order exclusive DLC uses the word "unlock" so I wouldn't get your hopes up based on that.

Edit: Damn you Gravijah

SolidSnakex said:
Has there ever been exclusive store DLC that was still unlockable on the game disc?

Doesn't Gamestop frequently do that for FPS games, where instead of playing for a few hours and getting points to buy a flamethrower or some shit you get to unlock it right away because you sold your soul preordered at Gamestop?

The Hermit

zero margin said:
Hopefully.

EDIT - noob saibot looks badass jeez.

He is badass. I played with him, he has all his old moves, just plain awesome!

Watching all the story trailers...can't contain the hype! The music in Liu Kang's trailer is fuckawesome btw!

Unicorn

hikarutilmitt said:
Doesn't Gamestop frequently do that for FPS games, where instead of playing for a few hours and getting points to buy a flamethrower or some shit you get to unlock it right away because you sold your soul preordered at Gamestop?
Hey man, how else am I going to get my Madden 'XX game cheaper if I don't have a place to turn in my previous iteration?!

Cool commercial! Does Shang Tsung being old mean that there be alternate costumes already in the game?

hikarutilmitt said:
When did Shang Tsung become CEO of Gamestop?

Absoludacrous said:
Most of their pre-order exclusive DLC uses the word "unlock" so I wouldn't get your hopes up based on that.

Edit: Damn you Gravijah
I'm looking around and about half of them are "Unlock the <whatever>" and half of them say "Get the <whatever>". So hopes dashed on that basis. But considering the male retro alts are in the challenge tower, I'm still confident they are unlockable.

Monocle

I just realized that thanks to Amazon's sweet Portal 2 pre-order deal ($20 credit, woot) I can probably live with myself if I buy MK sooner than I'd planned.

Backlog? What backlog?

Baiano19 said:
He is badass. I played with him, he has all his old moves, just plain awesome!

Watching all the story trailers...can't contain the hype! The music in Liu Kang's trailer is fuckawesome btw!

That's awesome, I caused many friends to throw controllers when I used him back in the trilogy days. Not saying much, his move set was dominant. lol

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
What is with Cage being so badass in this game? His dash kick thing is so fast! I cannot wait to buy this game!

Unicorn

Shadowlink said:
Cool commercial! Does Shang Tsung being old mean that there be alternate costumes already in the game?

When did Shang Tsung become CEO of Gamestop?
Yes. Everyone has AT LEAST one alternate costume within the game (plus alternate colors for each) plus some characters have Classic outfits (a couple have more than one classic as well.)

G-Fex

WinoMcCougarstein said:
What is with Cage being so badass in this game? His dash kick thing is so fast! I cannot wait to buy this game!

Cage owns man, now if Jax is half as good maaaaaaaaaaaaan.

Jax kicked all kinds of ass in MK 2, I used to remember saying "Man he just looks like some normal buff dude, nothing special bout him" then bam he was a Monster, breaking backs and ripping off arms!

Sidzed2

I'm really pumped for this; loving the demo, Scorpion and Johnny and clearly my favourites.

I especially like how well Scorpion's spear move sets up his X-Ray attack.

Shame that I live in Australia, meaning that I will have to wait two weeks for my import copy to arrive, and there is every risk that it will be seized by customs, leaving me out of pocket and MK-less. Seriously, what a backwards-ass classification system.

Anyhoo, I hope that the classic costumes are all on-disc and just 'unlocked' earlier by way of pre-order codes.

Kurod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Has there ever been exclusive store DLC that was still unlockable on the game disc?

The Ratchet and Clank: A crack in time store exclusive preorder bonuses were all unlocked via playing the game.

parasight

Speaking of Shang Tsung, he's probably had the most diverse array of costumes in the series. My favorite is probably his MK3 outfit, but I played so much MK2 that, I kinda see that picture in my head whenever I think of him.

Kurod said:
The Ratchet and Clank: A crack in time store exclusive preorder bonuses were all unlocked via playing the game.

Ok, that's good to know. I thought that if you gave a retailer an exclusive item it would have to remain that way for a few months and then would be released as DLC.

Glass Joe

Perhaps the XBox360 exclusive character won't be from a different XBox series (though Fulgore, Spinal, or any KI character would be a cool nod). What I mean is maybe it's someone from a 3D Mortal Kombat like MK4 or Deadly Alliance, etc. I'd probably prefer that to them tacking in someone like Master Chief who doesn't fit in with the series (yeah yeah, I know a lot of MK characters don't fit into the series).

So at what exact timeframe is MK9 in? Shang Tsung looks like his MK1 character, but Jax has bionic arms which are from MK3 and Liu Kang looks like MK3 version. Shang Tsung is also a shapeshifter so I dunno. Oh there are also MK3 dudes like Nightwolf.

Gravijah

RustyNails said:
So at what exact timeframe is MK9 in? Shang Tsung looks like his MK1 character, but Jax has bionic arms which are from MK3 and Liu Kang looks like MK3 version. Shang Tsung is also a shapeshifter so I dunno.

It's a re-telling of 1-3, so.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
RustyNails said:
re-telling? I thought MK was taking place as usual, but Raiden goes back in time and informs his past-self about something.

Raiden goes back in time and tells his past self something, and now we see how things play out differently because of that.

Gravijah

RustyNails said:
re-telling? I thought MK was taking place as usual, but Raiden goes back in time and informs his past-self about something.

Yeah, it takes place during then. That's what I meant by re-telling.

Unicorn said:
Yes. Everyone has AT LEAST one alternate costume within the game (plus alternate colors for each) plus some characters have Classic outfits (a couple have more than one classic as well.)
Knew about the classic outfits, but didn't know about the alts. Awesome!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
RustyNails said:
So non bionic arms Jax already happened? I'm confused :S also, is Sub Zero the orignal from MK1 or his brother from MK2?

Pretty sure Jax has been retconned to always have had bionic arms. And I think Subby is the younger brother, given Noob Saibot's presence. Or something.

Seraphis Cain said:
Pretty sure Jax has been retconned to always have had bionic arms. And I think Subby is the younger brother, given Noob Saibot's presence. Or something.
See that's the thing. If the game is taking place between MK2 and 3, then Jax hasn't been retconned. But presence of older, MK1 looking Shang Tsung makes that assumption kinda flaky but Shang Tsung is also a shapeshifter.

Top Bottom