• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most developed, fleshed out Final Fantasy character?

Boney

Banned
Considering the slim pickings I'd go with Warrior. Has big swords to whack Garland and make the game easy mode

Syrus

Banned
Ramza Beoulve.

You see him grow, learn, sacrifice and always do what he thinks is right.

Were done here. Perfect answer. Id also say Terra from FF6

Not even close.

Do people really believe this? Tired of seeing Lightning in these threads.

This baffles me too. Can't tell if it's genuine or an "ironic" following. It's like seeing people praise Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker. "Um, okay..." In fairness, the OP asked for most fleshed out and FFXIII did get a trilogy of games that I have yet to play
Not sorry

yunbuns

I completely disagree. The entirety of X-2 is about Yuna learning to cope with the fact that she gets to live a full life, learning to be carefree and make mistakes and she isn't coping with death because the plot of the game is the fact that she has reason to believe he is alive.

Why would she spend the game coping with his death, if the game is about discovering whether or not he's actually still alive? That's a contradiction.

And when she does learn that he is in fact dead, her expression of grief is realistic and not melodramatic. She's had two years to deal with his death and learning that it was Shuyin was a great testament to her development as a character. Rather than freaking out that Tidus wasn't coming back, she focused on the fact that she had to find a way to send Shuyin to stop him from using Vegnagun.

Amen. Yuna is the best.

While I do like Serah I don't think she was that developed. Sure she was 'strong' but I never really felt like we saw any real changes in her character especially since she was barely in XIII and dead in LR. Her finding out that was a Seeres like Yeul was entirely glossed over and she just accepted it like it wasn't big deal from what I remember (it's been a long time since I played this game so I could be remembering wrong?) and that could've been explored a lot more than it really was. It especially seems weird that she just accepted it since a major theme in the XIII saga is defying fate.
And lol @ SE for never even showing what her final vision was when she died. #stillbitter :/

Haganeren

No real reason? He gets infected with a plague that he thinks is caused by Aeris/The Planet wanting revenge against humanity for how its been treated.

Cloud has legit reasons to be emo in AC. Like, Cloud doesn't feel guilty because Aeris died, he feels guilty because he thinks Aeris is blaming him for her death by giving him the plague.

What ?
That was that ?

I never knew... I just though he was depressed for unknown reason.

Still, it seems "emo cloud" is "basic Cloud" for Square Enix which is a shame since i think it's their character which is the more fleshed out. It's not only a character arc, it's also what he thought during childhood, his problem at this time, problem that was different after the whole SOLDIER thing, he then learned who he really is and managed to grow even more after that.

There is a lot of cooler character (like Vivi) but in term of sheer quantity of information i don't think there is more than Cloud.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Angeal was definitely one of the most thought out, grounded characters in the final fantasy world. It felt like having a real world character integrated into a video game. His background and motivations are explored throughout the game he costars in.

Lightning was an attempt at developing and fleshing a character out but what happened is that her personality changed every single game. I have a hard time believing the stony-faced "We live to make the impossible possible" Lightning is the same as the moogle-dress wearing "I am God's bitch" Lightning. I'm still unclear as to why she served Etro directly after defying Orphan.

I feel VI had the best overall development for most of its cast, Gogo being the exception. Celes edges it out though. Yuna and Cloud were covered quite well too.

Wilsongt

Lightning suffers from power creep. Normal person, to Goddess, to God's worker? No.

Vivi has the full spectrum of development, as does Tidus, and Kain.

flyover

Cloud

It doesn't jump off the deep end at disc 3, just pay attention to the story. Advent children and Crisis core flesh him out even more.

I say Cloud, too, but I ignore any spinoffs. His characterization was great (and complete) in VII alone.

Hope's a good pick, too. I'm not a big fan of XIII, but I thought his character growth from the beginning of the game to the end was really well done. Never played the sequels, so I don't know if he's even in them.

Lightning was an attempt at developing and fleshing a character out but what happened is that her personality changed every single game. I have a hard time believing the stony-faced "We live to make the impossible possible" Lightning is the same as the moogle-dress wearing "I am God's bitch" Lightning. I'm still unclear as to why she served Etro directly after defying Orphan.

Etro recognized Lightining's tenacity to save her sister and "broke" the laws of the gods by removing the brands of all the FFXIII characters, and restoring Serah and Saazh's kid back to human form.

In exchange, Lightning had to take Etro's place in Valhalla. That act caused a time paradox that made everyone but Serah think that Lightning was dead - no one remembered that she had survived the battle with Orphan except for Serah, Vanille and Fang (but they were crystallized and couldn't corroborate her story).

Thus, XIII-2 begins.

batbeg

Some of my favorites...

Ramza. You see him from when he's young and naive, to the betrayal of his family and his best friend, on the forefront of revolution, but always developed around family and friends.

Vivi. Young and naive as well at first, surprisingly human from his time with Quiinas species thing in the cave, he has the best existential crisis in the game, but you know what, he just gets the fuck over it and realizes his time here is limited and he isn't going to waste it.

Zidanes similar identity crisis is also quickly dealt with, no thanks to having just gone through it with Vivi. Beine the orphan boy Zidane made his family from friends, and you can see his family all over Lindblum, in Alexandria, the cast, his relationship with Garnet, and then the absolute best when he isn't willing to let Kuja die alone, one of my favorite scenes in gaming ever.

FFIX is the best when it comes to characters to be honest. Special mentions to Garnet and Steiner, the other 2 best developed characters of the game.

LordKasual

Banned
And last but certainly not least...the most developed character in the history of Final Fantasy:

tumblr_ns46kqIujU1r3yumqo7_400.gif

Fight me.

Lightning is definitely the worst FF main character i can think of, everything about her feels forced and hollow. She starts the game as more of a cunt than Squall and ends the game as....well, I dont really remember, she smiles once or twice and gives a few cheesy speeches. Then she falls down a hole and ascends to someone who's supposed to be really important for no very well explained reason. Everything about Lightning feels manufactured on the business level instead of a human level.

Ironically, the character with the most development in FFXIII was Hope. Everyone hates him, but honestly he's the only character in XIII who actually makes sense.

Anyway if we're going to be completely honest here, the real answer to this thread is:

DFF-Arcade-Squall-PV_11-19-15.jpg

Squall Lionheart

He's the only FF protagonist i can recall where the game gives us access to his actual thoughtstream, which allows him to be a completely unlikable asshole to everyone else, but the player actually gets the reasoning behind his actions. We get to slowly see him change and break out of his mode of thinking, and he struggles with it all the way until the end of the game. FF8 isn't even really one of my favorite stories, but 2 of the most emotional moments in FF for me involve Squall:

Reading his thoughtstream as he carries Rinoa to get help, he's having a conversation with himself and only himself, about himself, and how silly and desperate he probably looks to everyone, but he doesn't even care because he's in love.

And then later, once he accepts and comes to grips with the fact he's in love with Rinoa, goes into space to save her, but lets her willingly leave on a suicide mission anyway because of his mentality as a soldier still restricts him from injecting his personal feelings into his decisions. Quistis calls him a fool for it. He agrees.

I would actually love to say "Cloud", but unfortunately all supplemental story material we were given for Cloud has regressed him into some character possessing less personality than he had even at the beginning of FF7.

This baffles me too. Can't tell if it's genuine or an "ironic" following. It's like seeing people praise Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker. "Um, okay..." In fairness, the OP asked for most fleshed out and FFXIII did get a trilogy of games that I have yet to play
Not sorry

This doesn't actually help Lightning at all. Despite her being plastered all over the front of XIII-2, she's barely in it, nor does she really do anything. Can't speak for XIII-3, since I quit the trilogy after XIII-2, but a few screenshots of the game should tell everything.

thedan001

Thinking of other games in the franchise not mentioned yet...

Amphau/Nashmeria and Prishe backstories from FFXI were excellent, those 2 npcs captured my heart at the end of their arcs.

Ayame definitely could've been a good one if she had an arc that continued from ninja job unlock quest mini story but SE never saw fit to give her one. Missed opportunity SE!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Cloud, for the same reasons every one else mentioned. Honestly, he was the first character that popped into my mind. The shit he endured was brutal. I really can't wait to see it re-done in the remake. It's a deeply fucked up and emotional moment him being as vegetated and lost in his mind as he was in the third disc.

The animation department at SE has their work cutout for them to animate some really convincing facial expressions during those segments.

773px-Amano_Cyan_II.jpg

That's the whole thing about FFVI, it's not the numbers of lines, the complicated story.. like in other games, this man has 2 simple stories, that defines him and his life.

Not what I expected, but undeniably a strong contender. Ghost trains, nightmares, and carrier pigeons. Perfection.

Etro recognized Lightining's tenacity to save her sister and "broke" the laws of the gods by removing the brands of all the FFXIII characters, and restoring Serah and Saazh's kid back to human form.

In exchange, Lightning had to take Etro's place in Valhalla. That act caused a time paradox that made everyone but Serah think that Lightning was dead - no one remembered that she had survived the battle with Orphan except for Serah, Vanille and Fang (but they were crystallized and couldn't corroborate her story).

Thus, XIII-2 begins.

This is the kind of stuff that scares me about the future of the series.

It's CELES from FF6 without doubt.

I've played all the final fantasy and don't get me wrong, people like Tidus and Yuna and Vivi do invoke real emotions while you play with them, specifically during the finale of FFX which is probably the greatest game storyline of all time....

But Celes feels so real, so relatable and most complete.

I agree. Celes was complex and her story was well told.

Zunja

I'd probably say Lightning is defiantly up there. I know that people hate FF13 above all else but it's a good story for FF. A lot of the chars had actual development throughout it Lightning included. You even see her growth in the following games too. I get that people hate 13 but you are doing yourself a disservice by ignoring Lightnings story.

Aside from here there were defiantly other chars I liked a lot. I'm not a huge Cloud fine but I liked him and Zack a lot.

I really do have a soft spot for Tidus and Yuna too. I don't think they changed much personally but their relationship was great to see develop.

BlueWord

Let's be honest, everyone: the answer is Ramza Beoulve.

Personally, though, I really do like all of the PS1 era protagonists: Cloud, Squall and Zidane. Obviously, I think nostalgia plays a big role in that. In terms of development, Cloud, obviously, has an advantage due to the other produced installments bookending VII's story, but I think Squall has a much more convincing arc in the game itself.

Easily Yuna in my opinion. You get her whole backstory in FFX seeing what she goes through, then in FFX-2 you see Spiras change and Yuna trying to find her place along with her inner thoughts.

Lightning gets like 3 games and still feels like an empty vessel to me...

I'd personally pick Terra. She starts the game as a literal mindless zombie. She escapes the slave crown, but is almost nothing more than a child in an adult woman's body, one with a frightening power. She spends her time asking a lot of questions every person asks ("Who am I? What's my purpose in life?"). Along the way she discovers she's the living proof that humanity can co-exist with Espers but that knowledge doesn't bring her happiness. Simply knowing 'who' she is doesn't give her meaning or purpose (though it does stabilize her enough to keep her going on her journey).

The entire World of Balance she doesn't end up finding the answer, it's not until the world itself ends that she begins to find her purpose in helping those that were most like her... Children who were ripped from their homes, orphaned. She gives up fighting, she gives up everything to help them. When they come under attack, she can hardly will herself to bring more violence into the world even to protect them. Yes, she eventually does get back into the fight to protect the children in her care, but it's not something that happens in a single cutscene, or a quick one off... You're expected to run into the event fairly early in WoR, and be unable to convince her she needs to fight.

This was the person who, up until the WoR (up to 20ish hours into the game), was the main character... and now she's telling you she has another cause. She needs time to think, time to absorb what's going on... in the end she (usually, unless you skip her events and just beat the game without her) does come back to fight to fix the world... She gives up the purpose she'd been searching for from the start of the game, to help insure a future for everyone, knowing that destroying Kefka meant destroying the source of magic and espers and perhaps even herself.

It's one of the reasons when strong female characters comes up, I always mention Terra. She's a strong female lead who acts quite believable given her situation... She shows weakness, but she also shows strength. She's never motivated by males or male approval (even though several males in the game offer guidance, it's never a master-student or other subserviant relationship, and Terra is always given the option to choose her fate even if the player doesn't have much agency in that decision).

There are certainly good and bad characters throughout Final Fantasy... but few, I feel, cover the development as well as Terra... From mindless slave, to childlike and innocent, to idealic pacifist, to warrior willing to give herself to repair her broken world and give a future for children who aren't even her own.

Meanwhile Lightning is just female-Squall.

(edit) Other thoughts in no particular order: The extended FF7 universe ruined Cloud and his development of a character. Zidane is okay. Cecil had a lot of great development, but his story was a lot more cliche. After years did him no favors. Squall (despite my earlier dig) becomes a pretty well developed character, and I love the theory that Squall is dead as it adds to that narrative so much more.

Lightning is definitely the worst FF main character i can think of, everything about her feels forced and hollow. She starts the game as more of a cunt than Squall and ends the game as....well, I dont really remember, she smiles once or twice and gives a few cheesy speeches. Then she falls down a hole and ascends to someone who's supposed to be really important for no very well explained reason. Everything about Lightning feels manufactured on the business level instead of a human level.

Ironically, the character with the most development in FFXIII was Hope. Everyone hates him, but honestly he's the only character in XIII who actually makes sense.

Kinda tacky to call a woman a c*nt, even on a video game forum.

Her development makes sense in all three games. Lightning Returns does a great job of addressing why she's so cold-hearted. Her lack of emotion manifests itself in physical form and forces Lightning to confront why she's become such an abrasive person and why she can't learn to just let herself feel things.

The final cutscenes of Lightning Returns spell this out in plain English for the player of the game. Lightning had serious PTSD after the death of her parents. She didn't have time to grieve as she had to become her sister's caregiver and all that bottled up neglected comes crashing down when she realizes that she can't bring Serah back to life this time.

I think Lighting Returns took that very vocalized complaint about her character, explored it, and made her human at last.

Her development makes sense in all three games. Lightning Returns does a great job of addressing why she's so cold-hearted. Her lack of emotion manifests itself in physical form and forces Lightning to confront why she's become such an abrasive person and why she can't learn to just let herself feel things.

The final cutscenes of Lightning Returns spell this out in plain English for the player of the game. Lightning had serious PTSD after the death of her parents. She didn't have time to grieve as she had to become her sister's caregiver and all that bottled up neglected comes crashing down when she realizes that she can't bring Serah back to life this time.

I think Lighting Returns took that very vocalized complaint about her character, explored it, and made her human at last.

Can you really not see why after 2 game and 100+ hours of gameplay later people stopped paying attention?

My main problem with Lightning's overall 'development' from XIII thru LR is taking her from a reluctant hero/former soldier to a freakin' Goddess. I actually don't mind her character through the course of XIII, but man... after that...
So dumb. Thanks, Toriyama.

Can you really not see why after 2 game and 100+ hours of gameplay later people stopped paying attention?

I'm not saying that. I recognize I am in the extreme minority of people who actually purchased, played and enjoyed these games. You can dislike the games while recognizing the fact that they did develop her character through out all three. It's not mutually exclusive.

Top Bottom