• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most developed, fleshed out Final Fantasy character?

Ferr986

No real reason? He gets infected with a plague that he thinks is caused by Aeris/The Planet wanting revenge against humanity for how its been treated.

Cloud has legit reasons to be emo in AC. Like, Cloud doesn't feel guilty because Aeris died, he feels guilty because he thinks Aeris is blaming him for her death by giving him the plague.

Problem is that Cloud's line of thinking on AC is kinda stupid and unresonable, considering Aeris and the Planet could have killed them all if they wanted at the end of FF7, like Bughnegaggen said. It feels so forced just because they wanted an emo Cloud, same as how Sephirot appearing in AC was also forced as fuck.

Anyways, staying on topic, I would say Cloud and Kain.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm gonna say Zidanne. We find out his origin, his struggle and his ultimate acceptance and resolution of the character arc.

And last but certainly not least...the most developed character in the history of Final Fantasy:

tumblr_ns46kqIujU1r3yumqo7_400.gif

Fight me.

Not even close.

Do people really believe this? Tired of seeing Lightning in these threads.

Don't get me started on Lightning. She's literally bipolar until one day she meets Carbunkle and decides to not be bipolar. Her characterization is a fucking trainwreck.

The real answer is probably Zidane. It's not often we see the swings that a young male protagonist has to do in order to make a puckish rogue persona work, and it's really interesting to see how it wears on his teammates, eventually forcing him to gradually change who and what he wants to be.

Second place is likely Yuna. The only reason I don't put her as first is because she's literally hiding her motivations and true feelings from the player for the first 2/3's of the game, so her change and growth is more of a shock to the observer than a slow state of fleshed out change. And if you're counting FFX-2, I feel like all of her growth into a "real girl" happened off screen. I love bubbly Yuna, but we never see her make the switch. Her grieving, her growth, her understanding of herself, it's all done off screen with occasional allusions and stories about how she got over things. For a game that is all about Yuna, FFX2 spends a lot of time in the shoes of the characters around her, tip toeing around Tidus' death, how she's coping with the truth about everything she ever knew and how she's filling the void by actually bettering herself.

I completely disagree. The entirety of X-2 is about Yuna learning to cope with the fact that she gets to live a full life, learning to be carefree and make mistakes and she isn't coping with death because the plot of the game is the fact that she has reason to believe he is alive.

Why would she spend the game coping with his death, if the game is about discovering whether or not he's actually still alive? That's a contradiction.

And when she does learn that he is in fact dead, her expression of grief is realistic and not melodramatic. She's had two years to deal with his death and learning that it was Shuyin was a great testament to her development as a character. Rather than freaking out that Tidus wasn't coming back, she focused on the fact that she had to find a way to send Shuyin to stop him from using Vegnagun.

Ralemont

not me
Lightning is shit, but I'm on board with the Serah love. She should never have been brought back, as XIII-2's ending was fucking great.

Pejo

Gold Member
It's CELES from FF6 without doubt.

I've played all the final fantasy and don't get me wrong, people like Tidus and Yuna and Vivi do invoke real emotions while you play with them, specifically during the finale of FFX which is probably the greatest game storyline of all time....

But Celes feels so real, so relatable and most complete.

This is a good pick, but I'd also argue Zidane.

You see his happy-go-lucky side, his brief spiral into doubt, and his resolve. Plus he actually directly relates with all of the main characters, with the exception being Quina.

Meowster

I'd have to go with Yuna. I love how we got to see two different sides of her: the timid but strong summoner that is willing to sacrifice her life for her world, and then the woman who is struggling to decide who she wants to be in this new world where everything that she once knew is gone. She's a great character imho.

Also: it may be an assholeish move on my part because everyone loves the Good ending but I really love the normal X-2 ending where
Tidus doesn't come back and she simply says her goodbyes to him
. It felt more fitting and in line with her development. She finally moved on from her past for good and is moving on to higher and happier times.

TriAceJP

Yuna is a boring troupe anime character. She literally does nothing in FFX.

Ashe had more development than her, and Ashe didn't mope around the entire game. Yuna was 'I guess I gotta...' and Ashe was 'Fuck that, we're taking control'.

Man, fuck FFX.

For most fleshed out, I'd go with Squall. Be goes from teenage angst '... Whatever.' to an actual protagonist, all contained within one game.

kromeo

Ashe could have been my favourite FF character but her story development kind of disappears in the final third of the game (they all do to be fair)

Yuna is a boring troupe anime character. She literally does nothing in FFX.

Ashe had more development than her, and Ashe didn't mope around the entire game. Yuna was 'I guess I gotta...' and Ashe was 'Fuck that, we're taking control'.

Man, fuck FFX.

For most fleshed out, I'd go with Squall. Be goes from teenage angst '... Whatever.' to an actual protagonist, all contained within one game.

There is literally no character development at the end of FFXII. They just chug through the story, get to the boss and wrap it up.

Edit: kromeo beat me to it above, lol.

Kill3r7

For me: Squall Leonhart.

0iT9RL9.jpg

Goes through a full character arc, we get into his actual thoughts, learn a good deal about his childhood, and he doesn't have to rely on sequels/spin-offs like a few other characters already listed to feel fleshed out from start to finish in VIII.

Ditto.

Syntsui

Y'all talking about Ramza, but ignoring Delita, smh.

I'd rank Delita, Ramza, Vivi, Zidane and Cloud as the most interesting and well-developed characters of the franchise.

I agree also OP about Serah. To me she is my favorite character out of the FF XIII trilogy (espcially with XIII-2 being my favorite game in the trilogy). She develops from being the damsel in distress or Macguffin Snow and Lightning are trying to save in the first game, to a really well written Heroine not tied down to much by her lover Snow and Noel being her counterpart trying to take the show in the second game. Though it is a cliffhanger in XIII-2, what happens to her made me cry a bit, but to me the reasoning behind what happened to her made me like her character even more.

I agree also OP about Serah. To me she is my favorite character out of the FF XIII trilogy (espcially with XIII-2 being my favorite game in the trilogy). She develops from being the damsel in distress or Macguffin Snow and Lightning are trying to save in the first game, to a really well written Heroine not tied down to much by her lover Snow and Noel being her counterpart trying to take the show in the second game. Though it is a cliffhanger in XIII-2, what happens to her made me cry a bit, but to me the reasoning behind what happened to her made me like her character even more.

I really love the fact that she and Noel were equals. I think it's the only FF game I can think of where the male and female protagonists were seen as true partners, versus the trope of a knight and his princess (Squall/Rinoa, Tidus/Yuna, Cloud/Aerith, Cecil/Rosa, Zidane/Garnet).

SOLDIER

I'm honestly willing to say Cloud. If you go through all the side stuff in the game, you basically see him from childhood all the way through adulthood.

Don't forget who develops alongside him the whole way:

tumblr_inline_mjoev5VidQ1qz4rgp.png

The one thing that puts Tifa a notch or two below Cloud's development is that they don't reconcile her own personal grudge against Sephiroth (for killing her father). That along with reuniting with her master are story elements I hope get fleshed out in the remake.

TriAceJP

I really love the fact that she and Noel were equals. I think it's the only FF game I can think of where the male and female protagonists were seen as true partners, versus the trope of a knight and his princess (Squall/Rinoa, Tidus/Yuna, Cloud/Aerith, Cecil/Rosa, Zidane/Garnet).

Ashe and Basche? Fran and Balthier?

Y'all need FFXII n your lives.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The entire third act of FFVII revolves around Cloud coming to terms with his past and moving past it with the support of Tifa and his friends though?
More like data recovery after his first bout with mako poisoning put his brain in write-only mode while Zack told him stories

MilkBeard

Quite a few games to choose from, and lots of really poorly written, underdeveloped characters to choose from. But let's look on the bright side.

Who are the most well-rounded, developed Final Fantasy characters?

I think a lot of people would say Cloud, but eh...the story of Final Fantasy VII kinda jumps off the deep end during Disc 3 and Advent Children pretty much backtracks on all of Cloud's character development.

Cloud is the character that comes to mind the most, and I don't think the story jumps off the deep end.

His character, in my opinion, has the most notable progression in all of the Final Fantasy games I've played. There may have been better characters, sure, but his development, in my opinion, was the most fleshed out.

Cloud in complete illusion ---> Cloud's idea of himself falls apart ---> Cloud hits rock bottom ----> Cloud reemerges with the truth as a more complete, steady version of himself.

Have to agree with the (surprisingly) few number of Vivi posts.

He goes through a radical number of changes over the course of FFIX. Questions his own existence, helps his fellow black mages, accepts his fate of having a very limited life span, helps his friends, saves the world, finds a way to "reproduce", comes to peace with who and what he is.

Damn I love Vivi's story...

MilkBeard

Y'all talking about Ramza, but ignoring Delita, smh.

I'd rank Delita, Ramza, Vivi, Zidane and Cloud as the most interesting and well-developed characters of the franchise.

I would give Delita an honorable mention, for his delicious change into a wildcard character that goes against Ramza, even though they were best friends in the beginning. One of my favorite characters as well.

Ashe and Basche? Fran and Balthier?

Y'all need FFXII n your lives.

Ashe and Basche were still built on the trope of a knight protecting a princess. I don't think anyone in FFXII received as much character development as some of the other characters people are mentioning - the game just simply didn't have enough cutscenes/dialogues between the characters to develop them further.

Balthier and Fran...almost. Fran is definitely Balthier's Chewbacca. She's cool, but plays co-pilot to his pilot. And to argue that she is well developed...let's be real here. Great design though.

TriAceJP

Ashe and Basche were still built on the trope of a knight protecting a princess. I don't think anyone in FFXII received as much character development as some of the other characters people are mentioning - the game just simply didn't have enough cutscenes/dialogues between the characters to develop them further.

Balthier and Fran...almost. Fran is definitely Balthier's Chewbacca. She's cool, but plays co-pilot to his pilot. And to argue that she is well developed...let's be real here. Great design though.

Don't say Yuna and come at me with this lol

tkscz

Coming to terms with the past doesn't fully remove the mental trauma, though. It helps him dig deep in a critical situation and, with the help of the team, defeat the larger threat, but what happens when the fighting is over and things calm down?

That's what AC deals with to some extent. Cloud reverts back in on himself, traveling around, not answering his phone, dealing with the residual effects of a fucked up life. Obviously getting the geostigma illness likely amplifies his need to do this, but did you really expect someone like Cloud to walk away from VII and be everyone's cheerful buddy? :p

AC is just another step of Cloud dealing with his inner demons and trying to find peace/forgiveness. As there is no direct follow-up to AC (yet :p), whether fans choose to believe he completely exorcises his demons at the end or is still dealing with his PTSD is up to the individual.

Wait, DoS takes place after AC and he was a lot more cheerful in that. But because of AC and DoS Cloud does seem to be the most developed character.

Uh, no. It's a knight and a princess, yes, but they don't follow the trope.

Built on, is the keyword. I didn't say followed, but it uses your knowledge of this trope as a shortcut. The point that everyone is missing is that Serah and Noel are seen as equals, as partners, when a majority of FF games don't offer that same billing for their females.

Lothar

Banned
Yeah we should all just play X and XIII.

Because those two have amazing character development and large open worlds to explore.

Not XIII, but yeah X represents the best of gaming when it comes to character development. Unlike the personality less leads like Cloud and Squall that people keep naming, you actually do see Tidus gradually grow up over the game.

For me: Squall Leonhart.

0iT9RL9.jpg

Goes through a full character arc, we get into his actual thoughts, learn a good deal about his childhood, and he doesn't have to rely on sequels/spin-offs like a few other characters already listed to feel fleshed out from start to finish in VIII.

I agree with this completely. The whole cast of 8 is great.

sensui-tomo

It's Gilgamesh.

We going with that "gilgamesh is the same throughout the series excluding a few titles (like 9) fan theory" If that held up, sure otherwise i'd say cloud.

note: I love the theory but until something is said about it besides the dissidia games i've got nothing else on it.

Most of the Scions from FFXIV: ARR. You learn quite a lot about them through cutscenes and various conversations. Hell you can't help but learn a lot because they have to flesh out the characters.

Ralemont

not me
Built on, is the keyword. I didn't say followed, but it uses your knowledge of this trope as a shortcut. The point that everyone is missing is that Serah and Noel are seen as equals, as partners, when a majority of FF games don't offer that same billing for their females.

Ashe is considered by many fans to be the main character of the game (others, Basche) and her opinion is given just as much weight, if not more, compared to any other party character when the group is discussing something. I'm not sure what else you're looking for?

Top Bottom