• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most developed, fleshed out Final Fantasy character?

Philippo

The one and only
King
Delita Heiral.

"All of them swept up in a mighty current, a current they cannot see or feel... I simply swim against it. Nothing more".

My favourite character in the FF series, one that starts from nothing as a puppet of the nobles and reaches the absolute top, only to loose everything as a consequences of having played himself with everyone else.
I don't see him as evil but more of a chaotic neutral antagonist, one for which "the ends justify all means" is the absolute gospel, wether it leads to good or bad outcomes.
1Manipulator, cold, willing to kill everyone for his sake, i still think Ramza is the only one he wouldn't have truly killed, because he was Delita's absolute opposite and as such developed a particular affection for him (on top of their original friendship).

latest

Others are:
-Ramza Beoulve
-Celes Chere
-Terra Brandfrod
-Vivi

Gaffi

The one and only
King
Delita Heiral.

"All of them swept up in a mighty current, a current they cannot see or feel... I simply swim against it. Nothing more".

My favourite character in the FF series, one that starts from nothing as a puppet of the nobles and reaches the absolute top, only to loose everything as a consequences of having played himself with everyone else.
I don't see him as evil but more of a chaotic neutral antagonist, one for which "the ends justify all means" is the absolute gospel, wether it leads to good or bad outcomes.
1Manipulator, cold, willing to kill everyone for his sake, i still think Ramza is the only one he wouldn't have truly killed, because he was Delita's absolute opposite and as such developed a particular affection for him (on top of their original friendship).

Others are:
-Ramza Beoulve
-Celes Chere
-Terra Brandfrod
-Vivi
Delita is probably my favorite revenge story of all time. Such a good character too in they way he fades in and out of the story.

The one and only
King
Delita Heiral.

How are you not mentioning his love for Ovelia. That's what elevates him above every other "antagonist" or even antihero IMO. That's what makes him unique
and what causes his downfall in the end.

yunbuns

I'm not saying that. I recognize I am in the extreme minority of people who actually purchased, played and enjoyed these games. You can dislike the games while recognizing the fact that they did develop her character through out all three. It's not mutually exclusive.

I feel like people aren't arguing that she didn't have any development at all (well some are but let's ignore them). They're arguing that they feel that her development wasn't executed. I've played all three games as well and never felt any connection to Lightning and the other characters (outside of maybe Serah and Noel).

SoulUnison

Banned
The correct answer is Hope Estheim.

Everybody seems to hate him, but he's my favorite XIII party member and my favorite Black Mage in the entire series.

He's the only party member who seems to really understand and be affected by the ridiculous gravity and hopelessness of the situation they're in, and by the end of the game he's standing up to physical gods alongside everyone else, even though he's terrified.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
We going with that "gilgamesh is the same throughout the series excluding a few titles (like 9) fan theory" If that held up, sure otherwise i'd say cloud.

note: I love the theory but until something is said about it besides the dissidia games i've got nothing else on it.

He mentions Bartz by name in FFIV: The After Years.

He starts to say it in VIII "Ba...." and also mentions the Interdimensional Rift by name.

The Final Fantasy XIII-2 Ultimania (which are canon) explicitly states that he got his weapons from several other Final Fantasy worlds and lists them by name.

Final Fantasy XIV doesn't flat out say anything about Gilgamesh, but Lightning and Iroha appear from other FF worlds via similar dimensional travel methods.

It's canon.

LordKasual

Banned
Kinda tacky to call a woman a c*nt, even on a video game forum.

Her development makes sense in all three games. Lightning Returns does a great job of addressing why she's so cold-hearted. Her lack of emotion manifests itself in physical form and forces Lightning to confront why she's become such an abrasive person and why she can't learn to just let herself feel things.

The final cutscenes of Lightning Returns spell this out in plain English for the player of the game. Lightning had serious PTSD after the death of her parents. She didn't have time to grieve as she had to become her sister's caregiver and all that bottled up neglected comes crashing down when she realizes that she can't bring Serah back to life this time.

I think Lighting Returns took that very vocalized complaint about her character, explored it, and made her human at last.

If it makes you feel any better, Squall was a little cunt too. It's just that Squall's defining moment was telling an emotionally distressed Quistis to go talk to a wall. Lightning's was telling some frightened kid who's mom just died to fuck off and die alone so she can take care of herself. ( Claire Farron, Guardian Corps. )

But i guess i should go play Lighting Returns...but I probably wont, because i played the demo and facepalmed my nose to pieces every time a cutscene played.

I'll probably break down and play it one day. I played the hell out of XIII-2 and that game's story was horseshit.

latest

NOPE

(holy shit ive been spelling his name wrong this whole time. I thought his name being "LEON" in KH was random.)

(which is funny because i named him "LEON" on my first playthrough in 1999 solely because he reminded me of the RE2 guy.)

(this is a 3-way mindfuck for me)

Loona

Thinking of other games in the franchise not mentioned yet...

I mentioned Mihli from XI's Aht Urghan regions :(

Amphau/Nashmeria and Prishe backstories from FFXI were excellent, those 2 npcs captured my heart at the end of their arcs.

Ayame definitely could've been a good one if she had an arc that continued from ninja job unlock quest mini story but SE never saw fit to give her one. Missed opportunity SE!

Ayame's at her most interesting when dealing with people who saw her grow up, like her family and and folks that trained her in Norg, since otherwise she tends to be strictly business and exasperation with Naji, again as part of her work duties.

Aphmau had some moments, and Prishe seemed like a staff favorite, but out of the XI "mission girls" Lilisette to me had the more interesting arc, since we got to see a counterpart of her that took far more pragmatic measures, but still got to show a hearfelt emotional core when issues of family came up - that at least to me made up for the recurring "Future Fabulous" stuff she was always spouting. And the devs' masteries of facial expression by then helped.

I do wish they had developed Aldo more though - we see him as a kid in the opening experiencing the war, and by the time we meet him in-game he's become a major figure involved with a crowd of shady reputation - the game IMO is still missing the story of how he got there during the 20 years that separate the opening from the game's events.

Zeid has some pretty interesting issues going on - one of my favorite things about the Rhapsodies ending was how that subtly gave him some closure, showing him reuniting with his Bastok colleagues after being astray for so long.

WarAdept

Ramza and Vivi are the only correct answer.

Lightning is lol. Spends half the game punching people in anger and then runs off to do her own thing? Hell the entire cast of XIII has severe communication problems. TALK TO EACH OTHER DAMMIT.

Not even the true MC of XIII, Vanille is. If only she had a less annoying voice/ridiculous animations.

True Fire

Marche. What a brilliant character. He's bland enough for the player to relate with, but defined enough to carry the weight of a surprisingly philosophical story. Is he making the right decision? He doesn't know, we don't know.

If it's not a character from the tactics series, it's wrong. No seriously, nothing tops characters like Delita and Ramza.

Also this boy just said Lightning! LIGHTNING!

Dude put away the Ff13 boner.

The correct answer is Hope Estheim.

Everybody seems to hate him, but he's my favorite XIII party member and my favorite Black Mage in the entire series.

He's the only party member who seems to really understand and be affected by the ridiculous gravity and hopelessness of the situation they're in, and by the end of the game he's standing up to physical gods alongside everyone else, even though he's terrified.
http://youtu.be/kqCU-4z2qfs
The feels

Top Bottom